Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 12:44   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Hi folks,
Greetings for a fantastic 2009 !
Here's a peek on my 1938 170V,undergoing restoration. The restoration is in the final stages, shall post detailed pictures shortly when the restoration is complete.
Nice so far, let us later see pics when the car is complete with hubcaps fitted.
Just see if you can do something about the steering wheel and I suggest that you get rid of those horns. There should be a single Bosch horn inside the car near the radiator shell
Old 4th January 2009, 13:18   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
It looks like Clock to me.....
Don't know what make though.
Nice car, I think since the car was fitted with a very nice electric clock as standard equipment to me it seems to be a thermometer.

Lovely cars these, the Mercedes reputation as the King of the European autobahns owns a lot to this model.
Old 4th January 2009, 14:58   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
suniljee
As far as I know none of the 116 V 8 engines were offered with a column shift, though it was a very very rarely ordered option on the six cylinder cars.
I do vaguely remember a picture of a column shift 116 somewhere on Team BHP.
That would be my car.
Actually Alvis I have a W116 V-8 350SE which is a LHS (euro version) and is a column shift automatic, It is for this rarity that i bought this car fro more than a W116 would be worth. Its undergoing final stages of restoration and i think should be ready in about 3-4 months. I undrestand that the standard shift was floor mounted unless someone wanted it to be column mounted as an extra option

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I have myself seen and photo'd a 116 450 SEL V8 with coloumn shift auto. I think it is the second car that sunilgee uploaded.

I think V-16's 116 SE is also a coloumn shift.
Yes it is an its a V-8

Quote:
Query 1 - Grow up.
Query 2 - Methinks thats an earlier fintail 220
Really, the headlights look round to me and the 220 series came with oblong lamps.

Quote:
Neat looking car, some more attention could have been given to the interiors Id say. What is the meter on the glove box door?

This car also clears doubts about those bumper guards I suppose.

One thing was missed by all in this W111. This 220S is dieselied. Look at the heater glow lamp on the lower right hand side of the steering. One can see the small chrome thingy with a few symmetric holes punched into it, somewhat looking like a mini drainage cover from one's bathroom floor

This is the problem with all these cars. Their petrol engines have just been sold away giving way to the cheaper diesel option.

Just for the ears and eyes of this community, I have a almost brand new body shell and chassis of a W111. If there is a donor car available with all trims i would love to pick it up. Engine of not, that ill arrange for but do let me know. Thanks
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2009, 15:04   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Really, the headlights look round to me and the 220 series came with oblong lamps.
They looked oblong to me so I thought it could be a 111 220. Or even a 108. Difficult to tell in this photo.
Old 4th January 2009, 15:37   #170
BHPian

Quote:
That would be my car.
Actually Alvis I have a W116 V-8 350SE which is a LHS (euro version) and is a column shift automatic, It is for this rarity that i bought this car fro more than a W116 would be worth. Its undergoing final stages of restoration and i think should be ready in about 3-4 months. I undrestand that the standard shift was floor mounted unless someone wanted it to be column mounted as an extra option

V-16, Thanks for the confirmation, always thought that the column shift passed away with the 108, but that is not the case.Great cars these 116 models, I had a 450 SE, at that time the ultimate iron fist in a velvet glove.
I did promise you some service books/cover for your 115 and there is a big RESERVED sticker on them back home now. Just not able to make a trip back home from the UAE.
I also have the original S class owners manual for my 450 SE and if you need it I will be more than glad that it will be put to some use.The 116 had one owners manual from 280 S to 450SEL so your 116 is covered too.

The W111 petrol engine is a fantastic engine but the carbs were the first mechanical bits to give up.
This applied to both the Solex and the Zenith INAT's which were fitted to the 220S and 230S and later on the 230 (115 ). Once out of tune or syncro you really needed a prayer and a Guru to set them back.
But what a sound, few engines match the whine of the Mercedes inline 6 redlined in third for the shift to top.

Last edited by v12 : 4th January 2009 at 16:53.
Old 4th January 2009, 15:44   #171
BHPian

Spotted in Goa
Name:  DSC00027.JPG
Views: 5238
Size:  74.8 KB

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-dsc00026.jpg
Old 4th January 2009, 15:56   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also have the original S class owners manual for my 450 SE and if you need it I will be more than glad that it will be put to some use.The 116 had one owners manual from 280 S to 450SEL so your 116 is covered too.
Can I be put on the list for copies of anything 116? A dear friend has 2 116 450SELs.
Old 4th January 2009, 16:34   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Can I be put on the list for copies of anything 116? A dear friend has 2 116 450SELs.
Karlos, Of course. Did gather quite some books and material on the 116 during my ownership of the 450, will gladly photocopy and send.

zibby, the W 111 you posted pictures of seems to have the very desirable option of wing mounted mirror

Calling all experts, Is the wing mirror original or a later add on?
Old 4th January 2009, 16:48   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karlos, Of course. Did gather quite some books and material on the 116 during my ownership of the 450, will gladly photocopy and send.

zibby, the W 111 you posted pictures of seems to have the very desirable option of wing mounted mirror

Many thanks.

It seems original enough, though many Jap cars of the 70s had very similar units. I have one lying around somewhere.
Old 4th January 2009, 17:31   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Nice so far, let us later see pics when the car is complete with hubcaps fitted.
Just see if you can do something about the steering wheel and I suggest that you get rid of those horns. There should be a single Bosch horn inside the car near the radiator shell
Thanks, Harit for your feedback. The steering wheel is original four spoked. The wood has been worked on and polished, with a cover for the time being, so that the polish on the wood doesnt get scratched when the work is on . The ring was missing even when I got the car, have to fabricate one, but no sample available for me to replicate. The horn will get the body colour (dark blue) and it may look allright,lets see. The hubcaps ofcourse, will be on, once the work is complete.
Old 4th January 2009, 18:45   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One thing was missed by all in this W111. This 220S is dieselied. Look at the heater glow lamp on the lower right hand side of the steering. One can see the small chrome thingy with a few symmetric holes punched into it, somewhat looking like a mini drainage cover from one's bathroom floor

This is the problem with all these cars. Their petrol engines have just been sold away giving way to the cheaper diesel option.
This is what collective efforts are all about. Indeed, the 220S of Domi looks dieselised, now he may check and revert, but after reasonable time.

About the Merc in earlier pics, indeed as mentiond by V16 the headlights do kook round, but if you look closer, they could be oblong too. Then look at the bumper below the headlight, and we see an oval fintail. Now get after that car, or at least details.
Old 4th January 2009, 19:05   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have checked in an authentic book. The mirror seems to be an add-on. They had similar mirrors fitted on the side, near the vertical frame of the quarter window and were similar to W 108 and W 114/5 (early models) And they were not this round, more rectangular. Never the less, this should be brought back to life, hopefully she was not dieselised, but statistics are against this being an original engined car.
Old 4th January 2009, 19:48   #178
BHPian

Quote:

V - 16 : PLEASE , for HEAVENS SAKE. THIS CAR IS NOT DIESELISED. Luckily, the owner is not a member on the forum. Knowing his die hard passion for this particular car,he would be shocked .

Mr.Harit : The owner confirmed that the car originally came from Uganda.

Last edited by dominator : 4th January 2009 at 19:57.
Old 4th January 2009, 21:55   #179
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen the black 220 was never diesel. Its a direct import from Africa and if I recall correctly the person from whom the present owner bought the car had it since new. Its simply aged over the years and always been onroad, being used sparingly.
Old 8th January 2009, 15:12   #180
BHPian

saw an old classic merc,that looked somewhat like this
somewhere inside the audi showroom lane.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w108_bild03.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks