Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2012, 21:48   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Slightly off-topic but, here's an early registration number from Goa transferred to a modern car. Car is owned by a team-bhpian.
This is unbelievable! Is it legally allowed now? Any idea about the procedure? And what car this originally came from?
Old 8th October 2012, 00:21   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
This is unbelievable! Is it legally allowed now? Any idea about the procedure? And what car this originally came from?
Shyam,

As far as I am aware its not legal in India. That was what I was hinting at my earlier post.

In some other parts of the world you can buy a "number plate" from the RTO or equivelant and keep it with you and use that to register a car you own. It can be changed from one car to another as you buy newer cars after disposing old one or when you have a newer favorit car (older car can be registered with another number plate which you may buy or alloted to you in the current sequence).

Here sometimes, unsold fancy numbers from older series sometimes are re-released as well. Also when some one surrenders a plate due to any reason, the plate becomes available for other to buy. Slae of plate between individuals are also permitted legally.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 14:03   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Most probably due to war time rationing. Tyres (rubber) and oil were two of the premium commodities.......
Would you believe that even spare parts were "rationed". Petrol was rationed and coupons issued, tyres and spares sold were entered in the registration book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
..................I thought motor vehicle act was applicable to all states alike.......Best Regards and Drive/Ride Safe Ram
Theoretically yes, but there are some deviations like the notification in Maharashtra for registration of vintage cars without books based on an affidavit, and the concessional car tax regime applicable for vintage cars again in Maharshtra, upto 1960. I believe that other states do not have this fascility and it would be of great advantage for other clubs to get this fascility in their area. If any club needs a copy of the notification please do let me know. As such the motor vehicle act is applicable to all states alike, but this difference does exist.

Quote:
This is unbelievable! Is it legally allowed now? Any idea about the procedure? ......
Quote:
Shyam, As far as I am aware its not legal in India. ...........Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe Ram
It was not legal till a few years ago, but I believe that in the last amendment of the motor vehicle act this is allowed. The famous example is Sachin Tendulkars Ferrari which he sold to Gujrat while retaining the number. The number would have changed anyway as the car went to Gujrat, but it was not cancelled. I know only what I read in the press report of that time. And there is a fee, why should the state forgo this when someone is ready to pay for this fascility.

I have come across a registration QTB followed by 4 digits, could this have been Quetta? The guy in the picture definitely looks to be from the sub-continent. Over to Sabinesnubbing

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 19th October 2012 at 14:05.
Old 19th October 2012, 19:05   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
It was not legal till a few years ago, but I believe that in the last amendment of the motor vehicle act this is allowed.
Well thats news to me! And certainly good news! But do you know if it is allowed in ALL states of India or only a few?
How I'd love to get back a 'period' regn. for my Herald!
Old 19th October 2012, 19:22   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.......... But do you know if it is allowed in ALL states of India or only a few? How I'd love to get back a 'period' regn. for my Herald!
Sorry, there is indeed a misunderstanding. You cannot get back an old style number. The present number which you have on your car may be transferred, as was the case of Sachins Ferrari. But I don't know if you can now retain the number of a 50 year old car, even if it has been taxed regularly.
And, all states should have the same rules, but it seems that understanding and implementation do differ. The Delhi registrations are in non conformance with other states, in Karnataka they want to see the invoice of your car even if it was sold in the year 1900.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 09:06   #561
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently saw some old ceremonial pictures of some Maharaja, unknown, shot in the 1930s or 1940s. Many American cars of the 30s were visible, showing registrations OHC xxxx - what state could it possibly be?
Old 20th October 2012, 09:57   #562
Team-BHP Support

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2701982

Taran too changed his Car's registration. He carried it over from his earlier Car. Can't comment on the procedures...

And yes, I always thought BMC to be Bihar registered Cars till sometime back. LOL.
Old 20th October 2012, 12:58   #563
BHPian

"I have come across a registration QTB followed by 4 digits, could this have been Quetta? The guy in the picture definitely looks to be from the sub-continent."

Harit,
QTB nnnn was issued from about 1939 in Quetta as you thought. Take a gold star that man.

"I recently saw some old ceremonial pictures of some Maharaja, unknown, shot in the 1930s or 1940s. Many American cars of the 30s were visible, showing registrations OHC xxxx - what state could it possibly be?"

Karl,
OHC is not a known code from the 1902, 1939 or 1947 series. It is not Pakistan 1947 series either. So, I am at a loss to say what it is. Can you post a picture? Could it be ORC (Orissa 1947-)?

Cheers
Cedric
Old 20th October 2012, 14:13   #564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Karl,
OHC is not a known code from the 1902, 1939 or 1947 series. It is not Pakistan 1947 series either. So, I am at a loss to say what it is. Can you post a picture? Could it be ORC (Orissa 1947-)?
It was positively OHC and not ORC. Unfortunately I couldn't get a copy of the images.
Old 5th November 2012, 17:40   #565
BHPian

Delhi Old Registration Numbers

Firstly, Note to MODS : Don't know if this is the right section but couldnt find a Miscellaneous or more appropriate section. Please shift, if appropriate.

I'm one of the few people who cherish the "VIP Numbers".
For people like me, a fancy number is just as important as a fancy car!
Naturally, the old registrations (Vintage Numbers, as some might say) are a great fascination.

Surfing around Google I came across this :
http://delhigovt.nic.in/newdelhi/dep...rt/tr10a.asp#1

This page is, from the Delhi Government Website, listing the RTO for all old and new series.

Also I must give a brief for those of u who are not completely aware of this whole thing.
Untill 1989, the system of Vehicle Registration was slightly different from the current one.

NUMBERING SYSTEM
The current format is like DL1C AB 1234;
  • Where DL stands for Delhi State,
  • 1 is the RTO code (District Zonal No.) of Under Hill Road (Civil Lines) Area,
  • C stands for Car and thus indentifying a private car registration,
  • AB is the series of the RTO,
  • and 1234 is the unique license plate number.

The old format was much simple. A typical number was like DLK 1234;
  • Where D stands for the Delhi State (Some states shared this letter),
  • LK was the series (An RTO had multiple series some of which were for private registration and some not),
  • and 1234 is the unique license plate number

LEGALITY
Also, contrary to popular myth, these numbers are still legally valid, and can be transferred to a new car from an old car, provided the owner of the new car has owned the car with the old registration for a period of over 6 months.
Also, a "0" need not be prefixed in 1,2, or 3-digit numbers.
For eg. DHN 0123 can be written as DNH 123 (This is not allowed in the new numbering system)
Obvious enough, such numbers can not be issued now. The only way to get such a number is to buy a car with such a number, and get it transferred to your new car.

INTERESTING SERIES
Some of these series are pretty interesting actually.
For eg. DID, DAD, DIE, DIM, DDD, DDA, DBA, DIO

So below is the complete List of All Old Series of Delhi:

Under Hill Road (District No. 1)
Trucks
DLG, DLL, DHG, DHL, DNG, DBL, DBG, DIG
Buses
DLP(Part), DHP(Part), DEP
Autorickshaws
DLR, DER, DIR, DHR, DAR

Tilak Marg (District No. 2)
Cars

DNA, DNH
2-Wheelers
DIE, DIF, DIH DIJ, DIK, DIM, DIN, DIO, DIP, DIQ, DIS, DIT, DIU, DIV, DIW, DIW, DIX, DIZ, DNF, DNI, DNK, DND, DNE

Seikh Sarai (District No. 3)
Cars

DBA, DBC, DBF, DAH, DAV, DAC, DNC, DNJ
2-Wheelers
DBF, DBH, DBI, DBJ, DBM, DBO, DBQ, DBS, DBV, DBW, DBX, DBY, DBZ, DEE, DEF, DEH, DEI, DEJ, DEK, DEM, DEN, DEO, DEQ, DES, DET (Upto 8,000), DEU, DEV, DEW, DEX, DEY, DEZ, DHE (Part), DHF, DHH, DHN, DHI, DHJ, DHK, DHM, DHN

Janak Puri (District No. 4)
Cars

DBB, DAJ, DDD, DNB
2-Wheelers
DBE, DBK, DBU, DBU (Part), DDH, DAI, DAN, DAM, DDR, DNW, DNE, DDX, DNM
DLH, DLM, DLN, DLO, DLP (Part), DLQ, DLS, DLU, DLW, DLX, DLY (Part), DIZ (Part)

Loni Road (District No. 5)
Cars

DLV, DLE, DLI, DLJ

Sarai Kale Khan (District No. 6)
Cars
DDA, DDB, DDC, DDQ, DDV, DAD, DDU, DAB
2-Wheelers
DDE, DDF, DDI, DDJ, DDK, DDN, DDO, DDP, DDW, DDX, DDY, DDZ, DAF, DAK, DAM, DAE, DAQ, DAD, DAB

Ashok Vihar Zonal Office, Delhi (District No. 8)
Cars
DIZ, DIB, DIZ, DID, DLA, DLB, DLC, DLD, DLK, DHA, DHB, DHC, DHD, DHE (Part), DDT (Part), DBT (Part), DET (Part), DBX (Part), DAT (Part), DEA, DEB, DEC, DED

P.S. This is my first thread/article on Tbhp.
nikhilj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 19:17   #566
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi Old Registration Numbers

Talking of old numbers,there was this Maruti 800 in our city,which i used to spot as a kid- DDD-222
Old 5th November 2012, 19:42   #567
BHPian

Re: Delhi Old Registration Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilj View Post
Firstly, Note to MODS :

NUMBERING SYSTEM
The current format is like DL1C AB 1234;
  • Where DL stands for Delhi State,
  • 1 is the RTO code (District Zonal No.) of Under Hill Road (Civil Lines) Area,
  • C stands for Car and thus indentifying a private car registration,
  • AB is the series of the RTO,
  • and 1234 is the unique license plate number.
Hey Nikhilj,

A small correction: the Under Hill Road (Civil Line/Mall road authority as it is called) is now the authority to handle all VIP/fancy registration numbers in Delhi. So, along with dealing with the RTO code "1", it deals with all permutations and combinations of VIP numbers.

I know this because I have a fancy number of series DL-5C-T and the car is registered at the mall road authority only.

Regards
Old 7th November 2012, 22:07   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Talking of old numbers,there was this Maruti 800 in our city,which i used to spot as a kid- DDD-222
I once saw a Red Maruti 800 (the oldest one) with DDD 777! It was at some used car dealer/car workshop around Vikaspuri Extension on Outer Ring Road. Was Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Hey Nikhilj,

A small correction: the Under Hill Road (Civil Line/Mall road authority as it is called) is now the authority to handle all VIP/fancy registration numbers in Delhi. So, along with dealing with the RTO code "1", it deals with all permutations and combinations of VIP numbers.

I know this because I have a fancy number of series DL-5C-T and the car is registered at the mall road authority only.

Regards
Didnt know that. Anyways just took that as an example
Old 26th December 2012, 14:50   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

The fascinating story of the Meera car seen here also shows a regn series I had not seen before - MHE

Early registration numbers in India-final-meera-car-1971.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post2999341 (History of Cars in India)

I had assumed it was a temporary plate series or Trade Certificate series.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 16:04   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It would be interesting to see what information would come up if one were to file an application under RTI.

I thought motor vehicle act was applicable to all states alike

Just my thoughts

Best Regards and Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
saw your post today.MVIACT of 1989 is applicable to all states but the Rules under the Act are issued by the different states .The individual states have been allowed some flexibility in this matter.So you cannot claim as a matter of right Number portability in Kerala just because it is allowed in DELHI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks