Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2013, 12:19   #631
BHPian

Re: Early registration numbers in India

Gents,
I sought advice on the 3 TAJ photos we have from someone with much greater knowledge of African registrations just post war than me.
He is sure that the three of them 1562, 1700 and now 3827 are from Transvaal - Louis Trichardt. Apparently they used very British looking fonts until the sixties when they changed to a more.....squashed I guess you could say..... style as he believes is shown on 3827 although the picture is rather small to be certain. Louis Trichardt was one of the smaller districts of the Transvaal to issue numbers and only ever got to 5 digits before the series changed in the 1970s.
He does not believe that Tanganyika (Tanga) ever got to TAJ nnnn staying at TAJ nnn

So, I stand corrected and it seems there must have been a very large Indian community in Louis Trichardt for Harit to have found so many photos from there. Interesting.
Cheers
Cedric
sabinesnubbing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 17:34   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Gents,
I sought advice on the 3 TAJ photos ................. are from Transvaal - Louis Trichardt. ................... Cheers Cedric
So now we know that this TAJ belongs to Africa

Here is a section of Landmaster, seems to be quite new, so maybe picture taken before early 1960's, showing a numberplate in Devanagari script, I feel unusual for that time. I wish I could turn it just a few degrees for better visibility. Any comments?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-hindi-no.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 18:02   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here is a section of Landmaster, seems to be quite new, so maybe picture taken before early 1960's, showing a numberplate in Devanagari script, I feel unusual for that time. I wish I could turn it just a few degrees for better visibility. Any comments?
I do recall seeing devnagri scripts on UP and Bihar cars, will try and dig out older photos showing such.

This picture does validate another point - on some Landmasters there is a neat looking cover with 'H' logo on a hinge for the crank hole in the front bumper - but not on all cars. I think there is a second hole in the bymber for mounting the cover, absent here (and on my car).
Old 17th April 2013, 18:07   #634
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
Harit,
When you invent a machine for turning, enlarging and sharpening these old photos so we can read the plates, we will all be very, very grateful.
If you know the film Bladerunner, the detective Dekker(?) - Harrison Ford anyway - he had one!
Cheers
Cedric
Old 17th April 2013, 19:34   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
I might be wrong but I think it could be " U S Q "
Old 9th May 2013, 16:17   #636
Senior - BHPian

Possibly a Karachi registration? Black letters on a white plate.
Any confirmation/comments?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-reg-no-pakbike.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 12:29   #637
BHPian

Harit,
I think that looks more like a wartime military bike - colour, front light semi-blackout. KAP would be way later than the war, 1960s I believe so I am doubtful it is Karachi.
Any chance of sending the full photo to see bike, background, etc?
Cheers
Cedric

BTW, is that other photo LMP?
Old 10th May 2013, 13:28   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit,
I think that looks more like a wartime military bike - colour, front light semi-blackout. KAP would be way later than the war, 1960s I believe so I am doubtful it is Karachi.
Any chance of sending the full photo to see bike, background, etc?
Cheers
Cedric

BTW, is that other photo LMP?
Please check post 2685 in
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-cars-179.html
That is the complete picture. What could be the car on the right side?

I have two LMP photos, one posted now, the other months ago. Do you need both? I could mail them to you.

Cheers harit
Old 12th May 2013, 16:25   #639
BHPian

Sorry Harit, I had not seen the post! Not a military bike. He must have chosen to have the partially blacked out light for some reason and white plates would be normal for commercially used vehicles. I guess Karachi early 60s then.
It's the new LMP I would like please.
Cheers
Cedric
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:56   #640
Distinguished - BHPian

In the movie 'Sangam' (1964), a smart red Standard Herald is seen, bearing registration J&K 1252 A. So we can assume this odd way of writing the number was around till atleast 64. What say?
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-jk.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 14:47   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
In the movie 'Sangam' (1964), a smart red Standard Herald is seen, bearing registration J&K 1252 A. So we can assume this odd way of writing the number was around till atleast 64. What say?
Glad to see this clip- did you find it on youtube! I actually saw it on TV (where the full numberplate was visible) and tried finding it on youtube as well to glimpse the number better but couldnt find this particular clip again at all in the movie!

The number would date from the early 60s, the car being an early ('61-62) model.
Old 14th August 2013, 17:45   #642
Senior - BHPian

One more car with the infamous TAJ registration has surfaced, a Chevy.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-taj.jpg  

harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 00:13   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Hi Cedric,
The MY series was followed by the ME Series. The ME Series followed the MY series with respect the location as pointed by you, example MYG became MEG, MYC became MEC and so on.

When the C series started, we had CA for Bangalore only and CN & CT for outstation RTO's

CA series was in use till the computerization of numbers and included CAA, CAB, CAC, CAD, CAE, CAF (KSRTC/BMTC), CAG (Govt. Vehicles), CAH, CAI, CAJ, CAK, CAL, CAM, CAN, CAO, CAP, CAQ, CAR, CAS,CAT, CAU, CAV, CAW, CAX, CAY & CAZ.

Cheers

KPS
Quote:
KPS, sunilnp.
My list also shows that CK, CL, CM, CN, CR, CS, CT were all or were all intended to be Karnataka registration series. I have a few photos of CK, CN, CR and CT registration series in use. Does anyone know if the others were ever issued? or which vehicle classes the various serial letters were?
Cheers
Cedric
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Karnataka Power Corporation Limited had two jeeps up for auction, registered CKM (1987), CKO (1989) and CNE (1989).
Cheers,
Rahul

Can anyone tell me when exactly the MY series were stopped, ME series started and similarly the year when ME were replaced by C series ?
My understanding was that the till early 1980s (like 1981), MY series was still in use and between 1982 - 1985 etc, ME series existed and from then till 1990, C series existed. I could be completely wrong also. Does anyone know about the exact years ?
Old 27th August 2013, 18:51   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Can anyone tell me when exactly the MY series were stopped, ME series started and similarly the year when ME were replaced by C series ?
My understanding was that the till early 1980s (like 1981), MY series was still in use and between 1982 - 1985 etc, ME series existed and from then till 1990, C series existed. I could be completely wrong also. Does anyone know about the exact years ?
The C series existed till June 1989
Old 27th August 2013, 21:32   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
The C series existed till June 1989
The India Motor Vehicle Ac 1988 and its explanatory India Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 were implemented from 1st June 1989 on which date all the old series in existence in all the sates and UT ceased and the new 2 Alphabet series started.

Hope this is useful information

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks