Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2014, 19:59   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinThekkan View Post
A chrysler windsor deluxe.
Is this the same "Nehru" car we have seen / discussed before ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2808257

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2808927

Early registration numbers in India-nilambur-nehru-chrysler.jpg

Early registration numbers in India-chrysler-windsor-deluxe-mss9999.jpg

The "Nehru" picture was taken in my maternal Grandfather's ancestral home (Nilambur Kovilagom, ca 1955)

Also with Queen Elizabeth, Madras 1961

Early registration numbers in India-queen-madras-1961.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 23rd July 2014 at 20:07.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 12:12   #722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Is this the same "Nehru" car we have seen / discussed before?
Likely, because I remember seeing grab rails along the back of the front seats, usually fitted to ferry distinguished guests for ceremonial purposes. I don't think these are fitted to the Bombay car.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 14:58   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
My Grand Dad's car a 8 cyl Buick was DLA 2....how is that ? Amongst the first few cars in Delhi....the Viceroy had DLA 1
Cheers
Hi! Any idea what car this DLA 1 was?
Thanks.
Old 26th July 2014, 20:47   #724
Distinguished - BHPian

Did "PS" stand for Pudukotah State ?

A 1931 Dodge DG / DL ?

Early registration numbers in India-pudukottah-ps1493.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 26th July 2014 at 20:53.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 23:00   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
Hi! Any idea what car this DLA 1 was?
Thanks.
Slightly OT, I have developed an interest for these vintage VIP registrations over time so just couldn't resist posting this.

Though I have no idea about the history of the car,the registration seems to exist in the circles of power even today.

It belongs to a veteran politician of the state. Here's a picture :
Early registration numbers in India-dla-1.jpg
Old 28th July 2014, 13:37   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Harit, I have never seen a photo of a Bombay car with no number at all. ..... It is possible that BOM and BOM Z are one series I guess. Cheers Cedric
Cedric, I guess cars came to Bombay before they had administration to issue registration numbers. As everywhere, registration numbers were issued when the automotive population rose. I believe that BOM was a series up to nos 9999 and then they started with BOM Z 0001. After a while BOM was dropped, so maybe, maybe as its a speculation, BOM Z and Z were the same series after dropping BOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDodo View Post
Can someone tell me about the regn no. of this car?
I assume BAITA, probably a Zamindari in W Bengal near Medinipur maybe near around to Burdwan. There is a SBI branch there. But there is also a BAITA river in the province of Oudh, maybe there was some nobleman. And, we have a SINGAL BAITA Village, BIRBANNA Panchayat KAHALGAON Block Bhagalpur Bihar. So chose any one, and none may be correct. But it appears to be Baita which must be some place which had some kind of nobility to have own licence plate. Note that there is no numerical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Look at the background. Note the car- A Thirties Packard. And the plate. Cheers!
Buick for sure 1934.

Quote:
I cannot say if it reads "BA1TA" or "BAITA". .....
I would say it reads as "BAITA".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
FINTAIL, What makes you thinks it's a Packard? It a Buick, probably 1934. Cheers
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
For the erstwhile mysore state, registration numbers started with MY series and ME series. For the state transport it was MYF and MEF.
Quite correct, but the system followed was different from general Indian convention with some exceptions, UP, and maybe few more. Convention was to have three letters followed by numerical's up to 4, for MY series after the numerical's they had some more letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Yes indeed, it is a mid 1930's Buick. Here is one similar 1936 Buick McLaughlin clicked by me at a Rally in Nagpur. These were availaible as the Series 50 (models 50, 56, 57, 58), Series 60 (models 61, 67) and Series 90 (models 90, 91 ) then. The 1934 and 1935 models were similar.
I don't think that this ex-Empress Mills car was 1936 McLaughlin. Its 1934 and a Limo. There are about 6 to 7 1934 Limo's still surviving around in India.

Quote:
Believe the 90 Series ..... Believe there was also a 40-Series starting in 1933.
True Series 40 existed, the smallest Buick variant for these years. BTW, any Series 90 of 1933 around?

Quote:
A Chrysler Windsor deluxe.
What's she doing here in this thread, registration not so rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Slightly OT, I have developed an interest for these vintage VIP registrations over time ........., the registration seems to exist in the circles of power even today. It belongs to a veteran politician of the state.
A few years ago I would have said that is illegal, I believe now one can transfer a plate by paying some fees. Sachin seems to have done that with his Ferrari. I don't know if this applies to pre-computer plates like this DLA, I would have thought more like post computer system like DL 3C etc.

Now back to registrations.
Here is a Mercedes 220S with a CC plate. Note that there is no numerical to identify the country. Apparently that system was introduced much later. I think I can make out the location in Bombay, lets hear some opinions. I see a Beetle and a Buick Eight in the background. Photograph bad in focus, but was interesting enough to show.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-cc-merc.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 28th July 2014 at 13:44.
harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 13:55   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Nice - I saw the car being restored recently in Pune. Where did you see it? A similar car is in Bombay, probably only 2 survive. Both are probably state cars, which explains the VIP number on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Was this car restored at Mr Zaheer Vakils and was black with flames ? I only am aware of 3 such cars out of which two are convertibles in exact colours and one sedan white in Jaipur and frequents the car shows

Cheers
Guys , the car was spotted by my friend at ford showroom on mettupalayam highway , tamil nadu . According to him it's the showroom owners car .
Old 28th July 2014, 16:50   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Now back to registrations.
Here is a Mercedes 220S with a CC plate. Note that there is no numerical to identify the country. Apparently that system was introduced much later. I think I can make out the location in Bombay, lets hear some opinions. I see a Beetle and a Buick Eight in the background. Photograph bad in focus, but was interesting enough to show.

Cheers harit
Harit,
From what we know, CC and CD registrations with a code number for the country concerned did not start until 1960 but I have never been convinced that the date is correct. This CC 33 and CD 1456 seem to be on cars which are later than 1960 but maybe the old registrations were not changed that quickly.
Cheers
Cedric
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-ind-diplo-cd-1947-cd1456-vb.jpg  

sabinesnubbing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 17:58   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Was this car restored at Mr Zaheer Vakils and was black with flames? I only am aware of 3 such cars out of which two are convertibles in exact colors and one sedan white in Jaipur ... Cheers
Quote:
Guys, the car was spotted by my friend at ford showroom on mettupalayam highway , tamil nadu . According to him it's the showroom owners car .
From Ashwin's post it appears that there are indeed three such Chrysler convertibles. In addition, I have a photo of a Bihar registered car, also a convertible and with a VIP in the frame.

Quote:
Harit, From what we know, CC and CD registrations with a code number for the country concerned did not start until 1960 but I have never been convinced that the date is correct. This CC 33 and CD 1456 seem to be on cars which are later than 1960 but maybe the old registrations were not changed that quickly. Cheers Cedric
It appears that the CC plates were introduced in around 1960, CD used only in Delhi and CC in cities all across India. I believe that these CC plates were re-used, re-issued when a consulate car left India or went to STC. The code for the country was introduced much later, maybe in the 1970's or 80's? It started with just a CC number, serially going up as number of cars and consulates increased. BTW, nobody has still identified the location.

Now here is a Ford in a setting which appears Indian or sub-continent, but having an Arabic number plate. Photo is of poor quality, so I attempted to enlarge the plate. Any clues to this?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-arab-no-1.jpg  

Early registration numbers in India-arab-no-2.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 19:24   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now here is a Ford in a setting which appears Indian or sub-continent, but having an Arabic number plate. Photo is of poor quality, so I attempted to enlarge the plate. Any clues to this?
Maybe it was in some middle-eastern country (as even Pakistan has had plates in English) but the driver may have been from India, working there?
Old 28th July 2014, 20:37   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I don't think that this ex-Empress Mills car was 1936 McLaughlin. Its 1934 and a Limo. There are about 6 to 7 1934 Limo's still surviving around in India.

Cheers harit
Thanks Harit for the information about the car model. This car was owned by a manganese mining maganate who also owned a Ford V 8 and a Dodge Kingsway besides later Indian made cars. I had visited his house as a child many a time. It is not an Empress Mills car.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th July 2014 at 20:44.
Old 28th July 2014, 20:40   #732
BHPian

Harit,
I am working on that Arabic plate but it is such a shame the photo is so unclear. Give me some time!

I may have found a partial answer to our CC CD question about when they were coded by embassy or country.
See this photo.
Cheers
Cedric
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-ind-diplo-cd-1960-11cd1-vb.jpg  

sabinesnubbing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 10:29   #733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
gents,
A snippet of information that I thought was interesting. I hope you do also.
My friend was in the British Library recently and found this in a newspaper called the Lichfield Mercury dated 9 May 1924.

"Cyclists in Simla, India, are liable to a tax equalling 13s. 4d. per annum, and there is a speed limit of 8 m.p.h. A number plate is carried above the rear mudguard, and a rear lamp is compulsory. Until recently cycling was confirmed to certain roads, between the hours of 3 and 5p.m. only, but these regulations have been slightly modified."

So gentlemen....Your task is to find one of these bicycle plates or a photo of a bicycle with one on. LOL
Cheers
Cedric
Well, I did find a bicycle licence courtesy one of the facebook groups

Early registration numbers in India-photo.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 11:43   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Slightly OT, I have developed an interest for these vintage VIP registrations over time so just couldn't resist posting this.

Though I have no idea about the history of the car,the registration seems to exist in the circles of power even today.

It belongs to a veteran politician of the state. Here's a picture :
Attachment 1266759

It is indeed shameful what levels these so called people in power stoop to, simply to feel that power. The Registration number DLA 1 belongs to a 1946 Chrysler Windsor and has never been transferred, not even temporarily surrendered ever. The vehicle is very much alive and fully functional with all taxes paid upto date, and is even a rally participant. I'm attaching a picture of the number plate area of the said vehicle. Kindly take note of the plate, which is as old as the vehicle itself and probably on it since new.
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-dla1.jpg  

Shwetank is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 17:27   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys , the car was spotted by my friend at ford showroom on mettupalayam highway , tamil nadu . According to him it's the showroom owners car .
If at all possible, please try to find the history of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Maybe it was in some middle-eastern country (as even Pakistan has had plates in English) but the driver may have been from India, working there?
Afghanistan and further north west is a possibility. Let Sabinesnubbing revert in due course.

Quote:
Harit,
I am working on that Arabic plate ... Give me some time!

I may have found a partial answer to our CC CD question about when they were coded by embassy or country. See this photo. Cheers Cedric
Sure take your time, no hurry.
The 11 CD 1 photo does not help. Diplomatic cars in Delhi are CD, white on blue. Since Delhi has so many diplomatic missions, they started segregating the country on the plate. The letters before CD indicate the country. BTW, the British Embassy wanted to sell a RR Silver Shadow around 1970/80, STC offered so little that they took the car back to UK.
In the other state capitals where some diplomatic presence was seen, mainly Bombay, Madras, Calcutta, they had black on yellow CC plates. These did not have a number to identify the country. This system was introduced much later, when is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
It is indeed shameful what levels these so called people in power stoop to, simply to feel that power. The Registration number DLA 1 belongs to a 1946 Chrysler Windsor and has never been transferred,.......
Very good catch. Its not only shameful, its illegal. That is a nice Chrysler indeed. Should take it out for a drive in Delhi

I asked about the location of the Merc with the CC 33 plate. The encircled building is Mantralaya, that time Sachiwalaya. Location is opposite Air India Building which had a wide footpath now with some green foliage in between. Those barracks are MSTC.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-cc-merc.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks