Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 23:20   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Well it had to happen! .............. the oil pressure pipe sprung a leak, spraying oil spectacularly everywhere in the engine bay! ................. everything that breaks gets fixed; and then nothing breaks ever. Plan for a long ride, maybe to Mysore or so, over the weekend. Believe me, there can be nothing more fun that watching that long bonnet dancing in front of you, the song of the engine ringing in your ears and the wind whistling by. Even 100 kmph feels like a lot!
Hi Tonrag,

This is something that happens to almost every restored car. You do all perfect, tin, painting, mechanicals, but then you have to use the car for a while so that the latent fault come out. I experinced this with a Chevy, all WAS well, and then the coil failed. I would highly recomend that you do some more running locally before you drive all the way to Mysore.
But glad to see you use the MG, actually not a very comfortable car.

Cheers harit
Old 20th July 2010, 15:22   #167

Being the MG enthusiast that I am, going through this thread proved to be quite emotional for me. It was both very encouraging and hurtful at the very same time. Having to see a few pristine MG's completely revived through intense and tedious restoration projects was something quite special and extraordinary to me, while seeing other abandoned one's was severely upsetting. Anyhow, I would like to sincerely thank the author for creating this brilliant thread and providing us with the opportunity to take a glimpse at some of the cars made famous by the Iconic British Marque....!

Cheers.
Old 14th September 2010, 22:35   #168
BHPian

Bangalore has been having some typical English weather for the past couple of weeks. There's no better time to point the MG's nose down the highway. So its been that way every Sunday, a hundred kilometers on the TC. Initiated my son into the joys of driving a spindly wheeled Brit sports car, with the smell of petrol and leather in the air and the happy burble of the exhaust in one's ear! Enjoy the photos and the youtube videos!

Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Classic MG cars in India-happy-1.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-happy-2.jpg  

Old 14th September 2010, 23:01   #169
Senior - BHPian

That's an awesome car, with an awesome exhaust note ! Enjoyed the videos, Raghu - thanks for sharing.
Old 26th September 2010, 18:10   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Bangalore has been having some typical English weather for the past couple of weeks. There's no better time to point the MG's nose down the highway. So its been that way every Sunday, a hundred kilometers on the TC. Initiated my son into the joys of driving a spindly wheeled Brit sports car, with the smell of petrol and leather in the air and the happy burble of the exhaust in one's ear! Enjoy the photos and the Youtube videos!

YouTube - MGTC in Bangalore 1

YouTube - MGTC in Bangalore 2
The car definately seams to run like a dream no doubt about it. If this car had a set of Chromed rims that would make the car look simpley superb. May i request you to put up a few pics of the engine.
Old 26th September 2010, 20:05   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
The car definately seams to run like a dream no doubt about it. If this car had a set of Chromed rims that would make the car look simpley superb. May i request you to put up a few pics of the engine.
And we have the privilidge of seeing her every now and then on Bangalore roads. You can find more pictures of the same car here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1966567-post156.html
Old 26th September 2010, 22:30   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
And we have the privilidge of seeing her every now and then on Bangalore roads. You can find more pictures of the same car here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1966567-post156.html

Yea you guys are quite lucky to also see some of the other good cars(doc's cars) which we don't get to see. Thank for giving me the link to that post.

Off Topic- By the way how does one get the link for one single post?
Old 26th September 2010, 22:39   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMK2210 View Post
Being the MG enthusiast ................a glimpse at some of the cars made famous by the Iconic British Marque....! Cheers.
Agreed, this is one of the cars that are really charismatic, so sporty looking that many fell for its charms, there are really very few other sports car that have this "thing" in them. And all the years their pricing was a key factor, affordable. But to use an MG was not so nice. I know that they were uncomfortable, and as a daily driver tiresome. Sadly too many of these cars are now over restored. But always a charismatic car.

Quote:
The car definately seems to run like a dream no doubt about it. If this car had a set of Chromed rims that would make the car look simply superb. May I request you to put up a few pics of the engine.
Please do not chrome the wheels. They are just fine as they are if they run well. Will become too "fidley". Remember, most of the MG's running in India atleast in the 1970's-1980's had painted rims. Chroming may expose some holes, atleast pitting will occur.
Keep running this car. I now know part history of its life before coming to Bangalore, so before that she came either from Calcutta or Rajasthan. Seeing her condition now, a lot of work when in because these cars were lying around for too long, and in a basement near the sea.
Good job.

Cheers harit
Old 27th September 2010, 16:40   #174
Senior - BHPian

It needs a Gucci steering wheel badly though !!
Old 27th September 2010, 17:24   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Please do not chrome the wheels. They are just fine as they are if they run well. Will become too "fidley". Remember, most of the MG's running in India atleast in the 1970's-1980's had painted rims. Chroming may expose some holes, atleast pitting will occur.
Keep running this car. I now know part history of its life before coming to Bangalore, so before that she came either from Calcutta or Rajasthan. Seeing her condition now, a lot of work when in because these cars were lying around for too long, and in a basement near the sea.
Good job.

Cheers harit
Sir,

I meant getting in a new set of chromed rims. But as you have correctly pointed out that these cars had painted rims in 1970's - 1980's in India then it could be left like that or if someone wants to make the car more like the ones avaiable abroad then why not ?
Could you share some pics and the history of this particuler car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
It needs a Gucci steering wheel badly though !!

Hahaha that was a nice one .
Old 28th September 2010, 07:56   #176
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir,

I meant getting in a new set of chromed rims. But as you have correctly pointed out that these cars had painted rims in 1970's - 1980's in India then it could be left like that or if someone wants to make the car more like the ones avaiable abroad then why not ?
If I remember correctly, Tonrag has in fact imported the wheels for this car in the first place. Guess even the imported wheels would have come painted only.
Old 28th September 2010, 15:33   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
If I remember correctly, Tonrag has in fact imported the wheels for this car in the first place. Guess even the imported wheels would have come painted only.
These don't seem new all though. The rims that are available for this car is made by Wheels India and those are chromed finish and not painted. Mr. Tonrag would have to clear this.
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:28   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An interesting MG. Any idea about this car?

This car is a 1937 MG VA TICKFORD - Owned by Mr. Sarkaria in Chandigarh.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Classic MG cars in India-picture-1069.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-picture-1070.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-picture-1071.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2010, 18:43   #179
Senior - BHPian

MG TC - Owned by - Ex Team MRF National Champ Mr.Karandip Sandhu
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Classic MG cars in India-picture-1072.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-picture-1073.jpg  

Old 16th October 2010, 13:37   #180
BHPian

Sorry, been out of circulation for some time as I was traveling. Well, MG TCs originally came with silver painted rims and spokes, never with chrome ones. Of course, many owners chrome their wheels, but I prefer not to over-restore my cars.

The wheels on the car were bought new last year from Beaulieu. While listed suppliers where charging monumental prices, in the range of 500 to 600 USD for each, I was able to get them for about 165 British pounds each. These were made available by a company named Richard Bros, which seemed to be having some kind of a clearance sale, because soon thereafter, they merged with another company. I also bought Waymaster tyres from them. The whole lot cost me 1200 pounds including transport, which worked out to Rs. 97000 at the prevailing exchange rate then. I paid a duty of around Rs. 27000/-. Following this, I refurbished the entire front end, changing the wheel bearings to tapered ones, (highly recommended to stop play, though it requires a lot of trial and error shimming) straightening the stub axles and testing them for cracks. The wheels have been balanced and are now inflated with Nitrogen.

My earlier wheels now decorate the garage wall. They were painted as well.

Regarding the steering wheel, the one on the car is the one it had when I bought it. It is very similar to the original, in the sense that it has the three solid spokes, but from the shape of the base, does not seem to be the original. It was tempting to replace it with the far prettier Brooklands wheel, and I picked up one from Beaulieu, but on second thoughts, I will use that on another car that I'm restoring.

Suffice to say that I don't mind my cars being a little scruffy, so long as they drive well and are mechanically outstanding. That way, I'm not overly concerned if they pick up a few scratches along the way.
The MG is not fully done up yet. I still have to get the speedo and the rev counter working (they have the original chronometric mechanisms) as also some optional extra instruments that I fitted, namely, the oil and water temperature gauges. Then the carpets have to be fitted and then its done. The problem is that I do not want to garage the car now; I'm having a lot of fun driving it!

I agree with Harit that TCs are quaint cars to drive. They might be uncomfortable, particularly if you bought them expecting comfort. As for me, being not very tall or bulky, I fit into it like a glove and am too absorbed in the fun, to feel any discomfort. I suppose it all boils down to what you want from owning an old car.

Today, Dev (my car) has been washed and is ready for a long drive of more than a hundred kilometers, following Ayudha Puja!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks