Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2012, 15:02   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Pics: Classic MG cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A lot of it, (the fenders, the dash and especially the rear) looks like it has been fabricated later. I wonder if it is a replica altogether. Did it sport an Indian registration?
Yes it had an Indian registration with some British club membership.
Old 1st April 2012, 19:17   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
Saw this near Deshapriya Park, Kolkata. The owner has a beautiful collection of British cars. However I am unable to identify the exact model.

I am a bit surprised with the taillight. I never knew MG models from this era had such a taillight. Could this be a MG NA Magnette?

Attachment 909780

Attachment 909781

Attachment 909782

Attachment 909783

Attachment 909784
Quote:
A lot of it, (the fenders, the dash and especially the rear) looks like it has been fabricated later. I wonder if it is a replica altogether. Did it sport an Indian registration?
That car belongs to Mr. Aggarwal. The car was restored by Mr. Shrivardhan Kanoria. The car didn't have a body. The body, seats, dashboard, meters etc was fabricated by Kanoria and his team. It was a rolling chassis of a MG TA. The car in my opinion has been put to some good use otherwise the chassis and other original mechanicals would have been scrapped. I guess one more classic saved in an innovative way. The owner also owns a red MG TC that is a regular participant at the statesman rally. This car had come for the judging this year and the rear suspension had a problem on the way back. Hence it didn't participate at the rally.
Old 2nd April 2012, 00:23   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
That car belongs to Mr. Aggarwal. The car was restored by Mr. Shrivardhan Kanoria. The car didn't have a body. The body, seats, dashboard, meters etc was fabricated by Kanoria and his team. It was a rolling chassis of a MG TA. The car in my opinion has been put to some good use otherwise the chassis and other original mechanicals would have been scrapped. I guess one more classic saved in an innovative way. The owner also owns a red MG TC that is a regular participant at the statesman rally. This car had come for the judging this year and the rear suspension had a problem on the way back. Hence it didn't participate at the rally.
I was just thinking about you to get some more info. on the car...thanks.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:18   #199
BHPian

Quote:
It is not a replica. It's a pre T series MG PB AFAIK. I believe the car was in really bad shape so a lot of panels had to be fabricated and I don't think the PB had a rear end as on this car.

It couldn't make it to this years Rally, but it was restored by a not so active bhpian.

mbz180
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:57   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
It is not a replica. It's a pre T series MG PB AFAIK. I believe the car was in really bad shape so a lot of panels had to be fabricated and I don't think the PB had a rear end as on this car.

It couldn't make it to this years Rally, but it was restored by a not so active bhpian.

mbz180
Well just been speaking to the Restorer, He says its a 1935 MG PA. The car had an small accident, the differential broke due to a protruding tram line.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:02   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Well just been speaking to the Restorer, He says its a 1935 MG PA. The car had an small accident, the differential broke due to a protruding tram line.
Then I stand corrected. The PA did indeed have a rear end like the one on this car.

mbz180

Last edited by mbz180 : 2nd April 2012 at 12:04.
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:49   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I stand corrected. The PA did indeed have a rear end like the one on this car.

mbz180
I don't agree as I was quite sure about the taillights which were not original. however the quality of workmanship of this car is excellent indeed.

Check out this link for an original MG PA.

Practically Classics Forum • View topic - Dream Collection.
Old 2nd April 2012, 21:42   #203
BHPian

none of the midget series had these wings. its good workmanship, which makes me think as to why the original pattern wasn't fabricated when all that work was going to be done anyway. the tank should also be exposed. i wouldn't judge this car for a prize at an old car event, unless there's a modified/special category
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:32   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Very nice looking except for those fake wires !
if you are refering to the mgc, then those are the original wire wheels. this is a 1969 car imported into india in about 1972/73, single owner car,very original but was resprayed in the early eighties in regular weekend use for short distances all its life.
Old 7th April 2012, 16:20   #205
Senior - BHPian

The restorer of the MG PA has been very kind to share with us a photograph of the car before the restoration had started. He also add that the MG PA 4 seater came in 5 body styles since people had some customs built onces for racing as well. Out of the 5 he says that there was a variant in which the Fuel tank was not exposed. He is a regular reader of the forum. So incase anyone has queries should post and i am sure he's be happy to answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Classic MG cars in India-img00544201204041410.jpg  

Old 7th April 2012, 17:34   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
Saw this near Deshapriya Park, Kolkata.....
Quote:
A lot of it, (the fenders, the dash and especially the rear) looks like it has been fabricated later.....
Quote:
The restorer of the MG PA has been very kind to share with us a photograph of the car before the restoration ......
After looking at the original condition of the chassis, I will say that the owner did the right thing in having her restored, many cars in better condition have been scrapped.
having said that, I would say that a little more effort would have made the car look more original, here she looks like a replica with some liberties taken on the bodyline. The grill looks perfect, the wings need a little change in lines, maybe some more rounding, but the rear looks as if it is a conversion for commercial use. Such a fine little car, maybe when the car is to be refurbished some corrections could be made. In India there are not many of these MG's around any more.

Cheers harit
Old 8th April 2012, 12:13   #207
BHPian

Quote:
The restorer of the MG PA has been very kind to share with us a photograph of the car before the restoration had started. He also add that the MG PA 4 seater came in 5 body styles since people had some customs built onces for racing as well. Out of the 5 he says that there was a variant in which the Fuel tank was not exposed. He is a regular reader of the forum. So incase anyone has queries should post and i am sure he's be happy to answer.
Here are a few pics of an MG PA 4 seater that I stumbled on from the net. Doesn't have a tank at the rear either. Must be one of the options.

Come on, if the restorer is reading this, then please show us the details of your restoration!

mbz180
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Classic MG cars in India-rightrear72.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-4pleftrear72.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-pa4rear72.jpg  

Old 9th April 2012, 18:17   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
After looking at the original condition of the chassis, I will say that the owner did the right thing in having her restored, many cars in better condition have been scrapped.
having said that, I would say that a little more effort would have made the car look more original, here she looks like a replica with some liberties taken on the bodyline. The grill looks perfect, the wings need a little change in lines, maybe some more rounding, but the rear looks as if it is a conversion for commercial use. Such a fine little car, maybe when the car is to be refurbished some corrections could be made. In India there are not many of these MG's around any more.

Cheers harit
The restorer has restored this car for his maternal uncle due to family obligations. He is also restoring 1933 Ford V8, 1934 Vauxhall 6, 1940 Ford V8 and 2 RR's at the moment. He has been nice enough to offer to share the history of the RR's. Out of these the 33 Ford and the 34 Vauxhall are for his uncle. I guess it could have been done better but then i would say it can still be changed if they wish to. Its a good starting point atleast where the car is back on the road and is being used. So the restorer deserves a pat on his back for that atleast

Quote:
Here are a few pics of an MG PA 4 seater that I stumbled on from the net. Doesn't have a tank at the rear either. Must be one of the options.

Come on, if the restorer is reading this, then please show us the details of your restoration!

mbz180
He has seen your post i am sure. Will remind him once again to see it.
Old 11th April 2012, 17:28   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...He has been nice enough to offer to share the history of the RR's.

...Its a good starting point atleast where the car is back on the road and is being used. So the restorer deserves a pat on his back for that atleast
Can you/restorer share some details of these RRs please?

No question about it, full marks to the restorer for truly resurrecting a dead car and giving it a new lease on life, originality towards bodystyle nonwithstanding.
Old 12th April 2012, 01:18   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After a long chat this afternoon with the restorer, he shared that he loves sketching and first thing he did after seeing the rolling chassis was to sketch it out. He first thought that this is a 1935 MG PB. Only to later realize when he started the work on the car that it was a 1934 MG PA. He got to know this by checking the engine number and chassis number details on the internet. Have attached that sketch which is dated back to Feb, 2011. This was after the vintage and classic car rally where he and the owner told me and MBZ180 that they would be doing this car up for the 2012 rally. He further added that the design of these fendors give the car a lovely profile, hence he followed his taste. He then started a complete body fabrication along with a complete mechanical rebuild of the car along with the fabrication of the seats. He has used "Excelsior tyres" instead of going for ADV tyres which is a common practise that most owners/restorers do to save the cost on tyres as ADV's and cheaper and easily available. He has shared some photographs which are attached in this post. I would also update the other cars restored by him in the appropriate thread. He has restored 11cars in the past 2 years on his own and I think that is a record for many restorers/so called restorers. The quality is top notch and most cars are daily drivers. Even the MG PA is a daily driver. The owner drives the car for 25KMS a day, everyday even in the summers.

Quote:
Can you/restorer share some details of these RRs please?

No question about it, full marks to the restorer for truly resurrecting a dead car and giving it a new lease on life, originality towards bodystyle nonwithstanding.
Have spoken to him. He will revert with the details by the weekend.

Regards

Indrojit Sircar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks