Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 11:45   #481
BHPian
 
virgopal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore,Mysore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Just now ordered Novatek GT300 @$5.60 on App. Awaiting delivery.
virgopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 11:55   #482
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,590
Thanked: 2,941 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post

This was my first transaction on AliExpress. Hope they won't disappoint me.
Three orders I had made which were shipped through seller shipping method have never arrived. Apart from this, all other products have come to me without fail. Nevertheless I ordered one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Anyone has any long term reviews of the GT300? Is the quality of this $6 item really good enough to be mounted in a parked car in the blazing heat, or does it need to be removed while parking?
I have been using the GT500 from around three months. No issues till now. Not sure if the GT300 is any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Once you get the dashcam which requires continuous power, then how do you charge your mobile in the car?
Hardwiring is the way to go. Refer to the related thread. In my car the camera is not easily recognizable since it blends with the interiors. However, if you leave the wire running, it looks pretty obvious. Get a fuse tap and hardwire the dashcam to free the 12V socket. Else you have to get a 12V splitter box which just increases the mess of wires.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 12:36   #483
BHPian
 
sidzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 167
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
GT300 is available on Aliexpress for $6 today - in case any one is interested.

Link

I have ordered one just now
Thanks for the lead.

Just ordered one from the app.

Lets await and see when it gets delivered in Bangalore.

My previous orders from Aliexpress have taken somewhere between 30-45 days to get delivered.
sidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 13:19   #484
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 299
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Each & every order of mine (mostly from $0.3 to $15) have been delivered here in Bangalore by India Post for me - its like 22 orders till date. Many a time, the tracking does not work OR does not get updated beyond a particular point, but the item arrives finally after a few days than usual. Typical turn around time is 20 days for my orders.

Only once I had an issue where the item was delayed, contacted seller for extension since tracking was not working. Item arrived finally, but was shattered and seller agreed to refund without any issues.

Beauty of this site is the refund when there are issues. As I type this, I have 3 orders pending from Aliexpress
null is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 14:25   #485
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,390
Thanked: 1,088 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
GT300 is available on Aliexpress for $6 today - in case any one is interested.

Link

I have ordered one just now
Ordered mine just now. Thank you for the link. The price is too good to be true, lets wait and see.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 14:33   #486
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,500
Thanked: 1,830 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Thanks for the lead.

Just ordered one from the app.

Lets await and see when it gets delivered in Bangalore.

My previous orders from Aliexpress have taken somewhere between 30-45 days to get delivered.
I have seen this listing in the morning and I was wondering why this product is listed so cheap when the same GT300 is being sold for 1000s of rupees by others. While looking for something I suddenly realized that in this particular listing the OSD Language is only given as 2 variants of Chinese (Simplified and Traditional). Other costlier listings suggest English and other languages as well.

I have written back to the seller seeking a confirmation on this before I place the order. If it only shows mandarin script on the screen I don't think it will be very usable as I don't intend to learn chinese to operate a DVR.

PS: @null, how do you pay them? Is it through online banking or credit card? I am kind of a little leery about using my card on a Chinese site!

Last edited by Zappo : 18th January 2016 at 14:43.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 14:52   #487
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 234
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

In the same listing it mentions OSD English as well. Not sure which to believe. In either case its a steal at USD 6. I hope there is an option to flash the firmware which includes English language. I ordered one as well.
Now the wait begins...
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 15:02   #488
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,590
Thanked: 2,941 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I have written back to the seller seeking a confirmation on this before I place the order. If it only shows mandarin script on the screen I don't think it will be very usable as I don't intend to learn chinese to operate a DVR.
In my current GT500, the key assignments displayed on the OSD is opposite to what is the actual buttons found. I guess this is the reason such low prices are quoted. I think we can ask for a FW update from the seller(or my GT500 seller) and flash onto the camera.

The OSD is the same as of the Blaukpunkt DVR and hence it will be easy to do a one time setup even if it is in chinese. I have never changed settings apart from the first time setup.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 15:03   #489
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,545
Thanked: 748 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I have seen this listing in the morning and I was wondering why this product is listed so cheap when the same GT300 is being sold for 1000s of rupees by others. While looking for something I suddenly realized that in this particular listing the OSD Language is only given as 2 variants of Chinese (Simplified and Traditional). Other costlier listings suggest English and other languages as well.

I have written back to the seller seeking a confirmation on this before I place the order. If it only shows mandarin script on the screen I don't think it will be very usable as I don't intend to learn chinese to operate a DVR.

PS: @null, how do you pay them? Is it through online banking or credit card? I am kind of a little leery about using my card on a Chinese site!
Even if that is true, won't a simple firmware flash solve the issue?
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 15:38   #490
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,925 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I've ordered this guy on Ali:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full-...517904507.html

All standard functions, with motion detection and IR as well.
Came to 13USD. And now, we wait.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 15:59   #491
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,500
Thanked: 1,830 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
In the same listing it mentions OSD English as well. Not sure which to believe. In either case its a steal at USD 6. I hope there is an option to flash the firmware which includes English language. I ordered one as well.
Now the wait begins...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Even if that is true, won't a simple firmware flash solve the issue?
Hmmm... Are the firmware for these things very easily available? I don't know. Anyhow, at $6 you can buy one and do whatever experiments you wish to do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In my current GT500, the key assignments displayed on the OSD is opposite to what is the actual buttons found. I guess this is the reason such low prices are quoted. I think we can ask for a FW update from the seller(or my GT500 seller) and flash onto the camera.

The OSD is the same as of the Blaukpunkt DVR and hence it will be easy to do a one time setup even if it is in chinese. I have never changed settings apart from the first time setup.
Oh! Interesting. So it is a matter of trial and error to figure this out. Hmmm. Let me see. Will place the order. Will buy 2, one for each car. And may be 1 more to gift.


By the way, how do you guys pay on AliExpress? Through credit card? Is it safe?
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 16:01   #492
BHPian
 
sidzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 167
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I have seen this listing in the morning and I was wondering why this product is listed so cheap when the same GT300 is being sold for 1000s of rupees by others. While looking for something I suddenly realized that in this particular listing the OSD Language is only given as 2 variants of Chinese (Simplified and Traditional). Other costlier listings suggest English and other languages as well.

I have written back to the seller seeking a confirmation on this before I place the order. If it only shows mandarin script on the screen I don't think it will be very usable as I don't intend to learn chinese to operate a DVR.

PS: @null, how do you pay them? Is it through online banking or credit card? I am kind of a little leery about using my card on a Chinese site!
Well, at this price this is a steal and I don't mind spending some effort to flash/update it. Moreover, I have a Chinese colleague working in our Bangalore office. Maybe it's his turn to help us.

You can pay using your credit card. I have ordered numerous stuff from here and never faced any problems.
sidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 16:10   #493
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 234
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
By the way, how do you guys pay on AliExpress? Through credit card? Is it safe?
I use Netsafe by HDFC bank. Gives you a virtual credit card at zero cost, valid for a day. Any excess amount goes back to your real card at end of day.
Highly recommended!
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 16:15   #494
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,925 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post

By the way, how do you guys pay on AliExpress? Through credit card? Is it safe?
While I was making a payment today, I also saw the option for Debit card. I tried that, but it was declined. However, a few minutes later, my bank called me and asked if a outside payment failed. When I told them yes, they said its because your card does not allow these, and if I would like to enable it.
So apparently, Debit card payments are now possible.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 16:26   #495
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,590
Thanked: 2,941 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
While I was making a payment today, I also saw the option for Debit card. I tried that, but it was declined. However, a few minutes later, my bank called me and asked if a outside payment failed. When I told them yes, they said its because your card does not allow these, and if I would like to enable it.
So apparently, Debit card payments are now possible.
Off topic: When I had used the CC and DC for the first time, payment was declined and I immediately got a call from HDFC customer care within a minute. THey asked me if I would like to enable it, and also told me I could set a limit for the transaction amount. I felt this was pretty cool since it will protect us from any fraudulent transactions.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use your Camcorder/Digicam as a Dashcam for Rs.100 mukeshgoel Modifications & Accessories 20 15th September 2015 14:24
The DVR thread (Digital Video Recorder) rrangan Gadgets, Computers & Software 23 4th March 2015 12:03
Spy video camera with recorder for car gaddiwale Gadgets, Computers & Software 13 19th July 2014 04:22
Portable Audio Recorder Reqd condor Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 2nd January 2008 09:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks