Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2018, 08:50   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Amazon Prime Video in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
This is my second year of Prime membership. I renewed with INR 999 and got cash back to Amazon Pay.
There were multiple offers around New Year's time. Firstly, Prime itself was priced at 499 earlier, secondly raised the price to 999 but offered 500 cashback to Pay, thirdly of you bought an Echo device, it came with a built-in renewal to Prime after the current one expires.

I am on the last option having bought a Echo Dot during the scheme.
Old 5th April 2018, 04:28   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
A Fire TV stick bought from US does also not work as of now. They might start selling those in India. On the phone, I feel there is a stutter while playing videos.
Do you this issue now? If so, you can try change the 'country' in the settings tab.
Old 5th April 2018, 04:47   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Is there any recommendation list
I have just finished watching all the nine seasons of The Office (US) on Amazon Prime. Its amazing!
Old 5th April 2018, 06:32   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Do you this issue now? If so, you can try change the 'country' in the settings tab.
I got a fire TV stick from US recently. Working flawlessly in India with Indian content. Since I had bought it from my Amazon account, they even set the username etc before it was shipped. I just plugged it in and used it (I think I had to select the country though).
Old 5th April 2018, 06:42   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I have just finished watching all the nine seasons of The Office (US) on Amazon Prime. Its amazing!
From plot to the way of making, it's simply amazing. Binge worth series ! Could definitely correlate some of them with real life characters I know The Mentalist was another one I used to religiously watch.
Old 5th April 2018, 06:43   #156
BHPian

Re: Fire Stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I got a fire TV stick from US recently. Working flawlessly in India with Indian content. Since I had bought it from my Amazon account, they even set the username etc before it was shipped. I just plugged it in and used it (I think I had to select the country though).
Oh! So, Is it always linked to the account which we buy from? Can we NOT change that?

Otherwise, what's your feedback on Fire Stick? Some of the posts down below, complain of excessive use of data/hour on the stick. Has it been optimized/better now?
Old 5th April 2018, 08:29   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Oh! So, Is it always linked to the account which we buy from? Can we NOT change that?

Otherwise, what's your feedback on Fire Stick? Some of the posts down below, complain of excessive use of data/hour on the stick. Has it been optimized/better now?
I believe we should be able to change that from the fire stick settings. I just meant to highlight the ease of setup.

Data usage is ok as per me. I had a problem with my router recently and I was limited to about 3 Mbps, and at that time the video was being played at either SD or sometimes HD. Usually it would never go to HD 1080.

After that problem was fixed (I have a 50Mbps line), it always plays in HD 1080, and on my router, I can see the real time bandwidth to be about 5Mbps (about 500 to 600 Mbytes per sec). So you can calculate based on that.

BTW, there is an app on the fire stick where you can enable measurement of the data used. Will check and let you know what I see.
Old 5th April 2018, 08:49   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Data usage is ok as per me. I had a problem with my router recently and I was limited to about 3 Mbps, and at that time the video was being played at either SD or sometimes HD. Usually it would never go to HD 1080.

After that problem was fixed (I have a 50Mbps line), it always plays in HD 1080, and on my router, I can see the real time bandwidth to be about 5Mbps (about 500 to 600 Mbytes per sec). So you can calculate based on that.

BTW, there is an app on the fire stick where you can enable measurement of the data used. Will check and let you know what I see.
Thank You!

Also, Did you ever consider the 'Fire TV' vs the 'Fire Stick'? Pros n Cons!
The difference is just $10 between them, now.
Old 9th April 2018, 18:52   #159
Senior - BHPian

Folks,
I am new to Amazon Prime Video, and would like to know, what is the total number of movies in the prime collection.
As of now, I feel the number is in hundreds.
Do old users see regular additions to the library?
Old 9th April 2018, 19:04   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Folks,
I am new to Amazon Prime Video, and would like to know, what is the total number of movies in the prime collection.
As of now, I feel the number is in hundreds.
Do old users see regular additions to the library?
Not that great a collection, though additions do happen. You got a fire stick, yeah? Get Netflix onto it, and you're set. If I can find a reliable stream for f1 and motogp, I'll drop my 8k a year Tatasky completely.
Old 9th April 2018, 19:30   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Not that great a collection, though additions do happen. You got a fire stick, yeah? Get Netflix onto it, and you're set. If I can find a reliable stream for f1 and motogp, I'll drop my 8k a year Tatasky completely.
Thanks.
Would you recommend the Fire Stick or the Chromecast 2?
My streaming needs are just prime video and youtube at the moment.
Old 9th April 2018, 19:40   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Thanks.
Would you recommend the Fire Stick or the Chromecast 2?
My streaming needs are just prime video and Youtube at the moment.
Why use 2 devices for that. YouTube doesn't work through the app on the stick, but it's alright on the browser. You won't miss anything.
Id suggest the stick.
Old 9th April 2018, 20:25   #163
BHPian

Rant :
Am I the only one disappointed with the Search UI for Amazon Prime (and Netflix too). Both of these service providers are trying to push their own featured/new content. Their refinement option really sucks. What if I want to filter out all retro Hindi movies (like Golmaal, Angoor) so that my dad can browse the catalog? What if I want to see the top rated movies of 2017?

I am not a promotor of piracy of any sort, but there's this site called bmoviesfree.net which hosts all movies/TV shows from verified torrent sources.

Just compare the refinement options with your Prime account. It makes searching for new content much easier :
Attached Thumbnails
Amazon Prime Video in India!-screen-shot-20180409-8.23.50-pm.png  

Last edited by sharktale : 9th April 2018 at 20:27. Reason: spacing
Old 27th April 2018, 08:01   #164
BHPian

I had paid 499 for Amazon Prime a year back. It was time to renew. Since I knew some people availed some deal on renewal I was looking for offers, especially the one where you pay 999 and get 500 Amazon pay credits. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Amazon Prime is free for 'all' Airtel postpaid or broadband users!! Do check for offers before paying up. I just saved myself 1000 bucks.

Cheers,
Promit
Old 27th April 2018, 15:51   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Rant :
Am I the only one disappointed with the Search UI for Amazon Prime (and Netflix too).
+1. Adding to what you said, if you search for a title, the search results come in a list format (with about 10 titles a page) instead of tiles. Tiles could accommodate so many more results in a single page saving us the "next page" button marathon.

Cheers

Pawan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks