Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:20   #4231
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
got the delivery of the plasma - not yet switched on - as it was transported in horizontal position! When buying plasma in aussie, i was clearly told by dealer not to take it home flat, lying on back or front. The Vijay sales delivery people said it is normal for plasmas to be transported flat to avoid toppling. I dunno who to believe now!
If it relieves you a bit my Samsung Plasma was delivered in horizontal position too and still working good since last 3 months and no issues.
Congrats and do update when its installed.

You re going for a wall install?

If i rem you had a panasonic beforehand so why switched over to samsung now?
Old 24th December 2010, 00:35   #4232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
If it relieves you a bit my Samsung Plasma was delivered in horizontal position too and still working good since last 3 months and no issues.
Congrats and do update when its installed.

You re going for a wall install?

If i rem you had a panasonic beforehand so why switched over to samsung now?
Hey Harry - thanks!

I researched a bit and finally switched it on - checked the panel hours used and it was 0hrs saw a bit of tv and everything seems fine, now have it running with break in slides for the night as i sleep in its warm glow

I sold my panny 42 incher as I moved from bangalore to melbourne and didn't want to take the hassle of moving the plasma to my parents' place in pune. Bought the sammy 50 incher for my parents while i am here for christmas break.
If i look back, i got the panny 42pv80 as it was vfm when pioneer kuro was king - now sammy seems vfm and panny is the expensive king :-)
Happy with the current deal, as I got the 50 inch 5 series sammy plasma for 69k compared to 42" panny v20d plasma quote of 66k (107k for 50v20d)

Last edited by jassi : 24th December 2010 at 00:37.
Old 24th December 2010, 07:47   #4233
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Jassi!!

Waiting for the review. It would be great if you can comapre it to the expensive king - Panasonic.
Old 24th December 2010, 12:58   #4234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
got the delivery of the plasma - not yet switched on - as it was transported in horizontal position! When buying plasma in aussie, i was clearly told by dealer not to take it home flat, lying on back or front. The Vijay sales delivery people said it is normal for plasmas to be transported flat to avoid toppling. I dunno who to believe now!
Jassi, not sure about the plasma, but my LG 32 inch LCD was delivered vertical standing position, and I was also advised by them that if ever we need to move it, it should be done in standing position only.
Any idea on how to check the hours used for a LG LCD ?
Old 24th December 2010, 15:04   #4235
Senior - BHPian

I currently have a 29' Sony CRT which will be kept in use but need a new HDTV.

Mostly used for watching movies at night. (Plasma??)
But will also be used for watching television frequently (plasma/LED)
I will be hooking it up with a Gaming console soon (LED??)

I have seen laser tvs' but are either not available or not viable. Is there any other technology at our disposal?
Old 24th December 2010, 15:29   #4236
BHPian

Update - on my sammy 50 inch 5 series - so far everything is great - have been watching hd content of various types over usb and mostly everything works (mkv, avi, divx, etc - exception is no audio in hd wmv files)
Optical audio out works great for usb content.

Next i am connecting my HD laptop over hdmi as well as PS3 - lets see how that goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Any idea on how to check the hours used for a LG LCD ?
I got mine from these 2 forums - search around on them for your specific model
Samsung TV Service Menu Codes - PLASMA / LCD / CRT / RPTV
Samsung Plasma 50 inch Full HD TV PS50C550G1R - Page 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I currently have a 29' Sony CRT which will be kept in use but need a new HDTV.

Mostly used for watching movies at night. (Plasma??)
But will also be used for watching television frequently (plasma/LED)
I will be hooking it up with a Gaming console soon (LED??)

I have seen laser tvs' but are either not available or not viable. Is there any other technology at our disposal?
there is no real reason to consider anything other than plasma for your requirements as far as picture quality goes. PQ is best on plasmas. You might be looking at something more thin and sleek in which case edge LED LCD may make sense (note pq is as bad as regular LCDs and nowhere close to plasmas)
Old 25th December 2010, 11:10   #4237
Senior - BHPian

What deals have the BLR guys found in the range of 50k for a Plasma. Guess Samsung comes out winner
Old 25th December 2010, 11:33   #4238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
What deals have the BLR guys found in the range of 50k for a Plasma. Guess Samsung comes out winner
you can get the panny x20 42 incher for 39k buddy
Old 25th December 2010, 11:42   #4239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update - on my sammy 50 inch 5 series - so far everything is great - have been watching hd content of various types over usb and mostly everything works (mkv, avi, divx, etc - exception is no audio in hd wmv files)
Optical audio out works great for usb content.

Next i am connecting my HD laptop over hdmi as well as PS3 - lets see how that goes

I got mine from these 2 forums - search around on them for your specific model
Samsung TV Service Menu Codes - PLASMA / LCD / CRT / RPTV
Samsung Plasma 50 inch Full HD TV PS50C550G1R - Page 4

there is no real reason to consider anything other than plasma for your requirements as far as picture quality goes. PQ is best on plasmas. You might be looking at something more thin and sleek in which case edge LED LCD may make sense (note pq is as bad as regular LCDs and nowhere close to plasmas)
How about HD projectors? I looked at one from JVC and it specs are nice.
Old 25th December 2010, 12:05   #4240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
How about HD projectors? I looked at one from JVC and it specs are nice.
depends on your viewing - i wouldn't expect HD projectors to be used for daily tv viewing - they are ok for occasional movies as I am sure the lamp replacements are still an expensive hassle
Old 25th December 2010, 17:05   #4241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you can get the panny x20 42 incher for 39k buddy
this is what another reputed source told me to go for, best VFM apparently.

Pana dealers in BLR quoted 39k but I found another forum with pricing ranging from 32500 INR (group buy) to 36.5k in Hyderabad so guess I will have to go out on the battlefield and check.

Too last minute to organize a TBHP group buy also
Old 25th December 2010, 21:44   #4242
BHPian

Quote:
this is what another reputed source told me to go for, best VFM apparently.

Pana dealers in BLR quoted 39k but I found another forum with pricing ranging from 32500 INR (group buy) to 36.5k in Hyderabad so guess I will have to go out on the battlefield and check.

Too last minute to organize a TBHP group buy also
dude in our pm, i forgot to ask what tv. If its the panny you are looking at then make sure you get a neopdp (v20). I know thats not vfm, but thats the safest choice, given the fading blacks in last year panny models.
However keep in mind that the blacks in panny models to start with are way better than sammy models, but then they might end up fading to the same levels!
So if you did a vfm calculation, you buy a panny for its blacks, end up with blacks similar to sammy, but none of the features of the sammy models (aka usb support for any video format!)
I know I have been a panny loyalist, but this was my thought process before i jumped ship
Old 26th December 2010, 00:57   #4243
Senior - BHPian

There's this general mantra of Panasonic for Plasma, Samsung for LCD. Again I dont know much about all of this so it just could be a viral ploy for high margins by resellers in the industry or it may have truth from reviews/testing.

In any case what I need to know is for a household thats primarily viewing TV feeds and the occasional DVD / media need to have a full HD set even when availability of this media in this format is limited.

Is there a possibility that Full HD and 1080p material is going to become the norm very fast (and affordable)? Then it makes sense to fork out the additional monies but if not I think the 42x20 was good enough (lacking bells and whistles) but if it has HDMI we could always plugin a lappy?
Old 26th December 2010, 11:19   #4244
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a possibility that Full HD and 1080p material is going to become the norm very fast (and affordable)? Then it makes sense to fork out the additional monies but if not I think the 42x20 was good enough (lacking bells and whistles) but if it has HDMI we could always plugin a lappy?
1080p does not really matter unless you are sitting 2-3 feet from the tv - the human eye can't perceive the difference in resolution from beyond 4-5 feet. So any 720p tv should do. panny 42x20 is a good choice minus the bells and whistles of samsung plasmas. good luck now if sammy 42c450 is cheaper than the panny x20 than thats a steal!
Old 26th December 2010, 14:07   #4245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1080p does not really matter unless you are sitting 2-3 feet from the tv - the human eye can't perceive the difference in resolution from beyond 4-5 feet. So any 720p tv should do. panny 42x20 is a good choice minus the bells and whistles of samsung plasmas. good luck now if sammy 42c450 is cheaper than the panny x20 than thats a steal!
At reliance they had the x20 and c430 (43k)

Today I will goto Croma and some other independent sellers to check.

V20 seems great but its a huge jump in budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks