Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:53   #10051
oss
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Core is available for around 12 K online with Manufacture warranty. If you can stretch your budget to 15.3 K, you will get Galaxy Quattro which is essentially a bigger brother of Core.

Have been using Quattro for the past one month and am more than satisfied. Had managed to get it for INR 15049 with online offer.

Cheers
Hi,
Is Quattro a dual active phone? When i an surfing on the primary SIM's 3G, if i get a call on the secondary SIM will it ring, so give out a engaged tone?
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:15   #10052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Hi,
Is Quattro a dual active phone? When i an surfing on the primary SIM's 3G, if i get a call on the secondary SIM will it ring, so give out a engaged tone?
Quattro is a "Dual SIM Standby" device. If you're using 3G on one SIM and receive a call on the other SIM, your phone will ring.

Meanwhile do consider Xolo Play or Xolo Q800 also if you're not that concerned about the brand name. They're real value-for-money devices. Few of my colleagues are using the Xolo Play and overall it looks like a sturdy device.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:59   #10053
Team-BHP Support

Microsoft takes over Nokia's Cell Phone unit! They also bought a 50% stake in Nokia-Siemens Network.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/techno...1-1116640.aspx

Last edited by ampere : 3rd September 2013 at 11:02.
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:00   #10054
Senior - BHPian

Elop completed the job afterall as one of the largest share holders of MS he had duty towards Microsoft .
With cache of Nokia standard essential patents under MS belt a dulge of litigation is on the horizon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Microsoft takes over Nokia's Cell Phone unit! They also bought a 50% stake in Nokia-Siemens Network.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/techno...1-1116640.aspx

Last edited by amitk26 : 3rd September 2013 at 13:03.
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:45   #10055
Senior - BHPian

How are Mobiles of Zopo, Lemon?

Has anyone used iBall 4.7G Cobalt? How good is the phone? Does it have FM Radio? Is it available in colours other than the Wine?

How to decide whether the Battery Capacity is suitable for that particular mobile?
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:57   #10056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
How are Mobiles of Zopo, Lemon?
Even if these imported phones work flawlessly, sourcing a spare battery is a pain in the.
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:24   #10057
BHPian

Typing this from my Lenovo P780. Nice large screen with a good resolution and color display, a bit bright but can be tweaked.
It a quad core, not that I am geek to understand how to utilize that.

The best part its a 4000 mAh battery. Have charged it on Saturday night, worked thru Sunday & till Monday noon.

Amazing for I was used to having my cell phone plugged into the wall most of the time.

Not so goods.
Still getting used to handling the size, I feel it is ergonomically very odd to handle, guess that will be getting some used to.

I am happy to go thru 40 hours between having to charge the phone, and that is more than enough for me.
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:38   #10058
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ramzsys.
Ran out of the 30 mins Edit Time.

@all.. Also Please confirm whether the iBall 4.7 G Cobalt is capable of capturing Panoramic Photos.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Eddy : 4th September 2013 at 18:52.
Old 3rd September 2013, 23:42   #10059
BHPian

Somewhere in the news I saw that although MS tookover Nokia's mobile devices division, it (MS) cannot release a 'Nokia' branded phone. In fact, there may not be a Nokia branded handset anymore after the merger of 2 companies is complete. This bit of news made me a little sad. Though for the last 3 years I am using android smartphones, I still have a soft spot for Nokia devices. My 'mobile' life began with Nokia 3315 in 2003. Tried to remember how many Nokia sets I have purchased in the last 10 years. At least 10, including the CDMA ones. I still respect Nokia phones for their reliability and build quality. My 2004 Nokia 1100 is still in working condition! What happened to you, Nokia? in the last few years?
Old 4th September 2013, 00:49   #10060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Somewhere in the news I saw that although MS tookover Nokia's mobile devices division, it (MS) cannot release a 'Nokia' branded phone. In fact, there may not be a Nokia branded handset anymore after the merger of 2 companies is complete. This bit of news made me a little sad. Though for the last 3 years I am using android smartphones, I still have a soft spot for Nokia devices. My 'mobile' life began with Nokia 3315 in 2003. Tried to remember how many Nokia sets I have purchased in the last 10 years. At least 10, including the CDMA ones. I still respect Nokia phones for their reliability and build quality. My 2004 Nokia 1100 is still in working condition! What happened to you, Nokia? in the last few years?
I find that difficult to believe. If it can't release a Nokia brand phone, what did MS pay all that money for... manufacturing facilities and technical know-how? Nah.
Old 4th September 2013, 01:19   #10061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
I find that difficult to believe. If it can't release a Nokia brand phone, what did MS pay all that money for... manufacturing facilities and technical know-how? Nah.
They don't need the Nokia brand name. Nokia is nothing in smartphone space. They bought Nokia for real cheap for their patents, device manufacturing, camera technology etc. Nokia today is not the same as they were 5 years ago. They wouldn't have survived without the loan from Microsoft couple of years back. Their market cap was around $200 billion at a time, now it's just $20 billion.

Considering all this, Microsoft played it really smart in getting Nokia for so cheap. Now they will have complete end-to-end offering - OS, apps, (cloud) services - entire eco system. Nokia buyout completes the final missing piece in this puzzle - devices.
Old 4th September 2013, 08:33   #10062
BHPian

Echoing neofromcapone's view on Lenovo P780 - Impressive battery life for a smart phone of 2+ days. Handling the phone is something we need to get used to. Cannot keep it in the shirt pocket due to its size.

No case/pouch available yet. Screen guard is required but not available for this model yet in normal stores (prefer them as they will fix it properly for you rather than buying from online shops).
Old 4th September 2013, 13:54   #10063
BHPian

Can some one recommend a good answering machine app for android?

Need one which can answer the call with pre-recorded message and record voice messages. Ones currently in app store only send out SMS to the caller.
Old 4th September 2013, 18:53   #10064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
They don't need the Nokia brand name. Nokia is nothing in smartphone space. They bought Nokia for real cheap for their patents, device manufacturing, camera technology etc. Nokia today is not the same as they were 5 years ago. They wouldn't have survived without the loan from Microsoft couple of years back. Their market cap was around $200 billion at a time, now it's just $20 billion.

Considering all this, Microsoft played it really smart in getting Nokia for so cheap. Now they will have complete end-to-end offering - OS, apps, (cloud) services - entire eco system. Nokia buyout completes the final missing piece in this puzzle - devices.
I am a aware of and agree with all that. The point is, do we know for sure that MS has signed up for not using the Nokia brand? I've read up articles, including those on WSJ, but nowhere did I come across mention about this particular clause. Anyway, time will tell.
Old 4th September 2013, 20:39   #10065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
I am a aware of and agree with all that. The point is, do we know for sure that MS has signed up for not using the Nokia brand? I've read up articles, including those on WSJ, but nowhere did I come across mention about this particular clause. Anyway, time will tell.
Nokia brand stays with the Finnish company Nokia. They won't be creating anymore smartphones as that's the division MS bought. Both Lumia and Asha brand names now belong to MS. Nokia will continue with series 30 and series 40 feature phones.

The biggest giveaway that all these was a strategy all along is that Nokia CEO Stephen Elop (who was a MS executive earlier with huge MS stocks) returns to MS when the remains of Nokia is bigger in terms of no of employees.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks