Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:47   #466
Senior - BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats joslicx! Exactly how small is it?
Thanks. Well it is bigger than most P&S but to put into perspective much smaller than even the smallest DSLR I had checked out earlier. Its so much smaller and sleeker than the D7000 that I had almost bought before bumping into mirrorless systems!

With the bundled 12-50 it is obviously not going to be pocketable. I am thinking of picking up a pancake for the times when it would be needed to just pop it in the jacked pocket (Panasonic 14mm looks good for that). I guess total with the pancake it might weigh around 500g which is less than just D7000 body only and D7000 is obviously not going to be pocket-able at all! Thanks for introducing the mirrorless systems to me otherwise I would be lumbering the D7000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Congrats!! Welcome to the OM-D Club,
soon you will find this is a heck of a camera!! Dynamic Range is best in class. ISO is always one stop down.

I got a silver from jayesh., with 14-42 Lens, didnt pick the 12-50 Lens. 8GB card if offered free from Oly. Also a carry case.

Enjoy shooting and look forward for your pictures.
Thanks. I did get the 8GB card (while the zoomin product page mentioned 4GB as free from manufacturer) so at least happy about that. Did not get any carry case. In fact none of the sites mention carry case in standard accessories. So Jayesh must have thrown that in for you. I ordered a Kata case for it yesterday.

In fact Olympus seem to be very stingy with their packing of the product. There was no lens case (this for a $500 lens!), no camera case, product booklet is so-so (for a supposedly complex camera very bad from Oly), proprietary USB interface (why cant they use micro-usb so that we can reuse existing cables). These are my major gripes at the moment.

Quote:
Waiting to pick on 45mm Lens on this One!!
I am also looking forward to owning that lens. Do you know of any place where it is available? Later plan to add the Summilux 25mm if I can find it somewhere.

I have a question for you guys. Is a filter really needed? Also with filter attached to the lens, am I correct in thinking that you cant put the lens cap then. Wont it mean scratches on the filter glass itself?

Last edited by joslicx : 23rd October 2012 at 11:55.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:03   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats joslicx! Exactly how small is it?
Add the viewfinder hump on a E-PL1 and you have a good approximation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Later plan to add the Summilux 25mm if I can find it somewhere.
Mama Mia. Someone is going all out guns blazing.

http://www.ezeekart.com/p-1587/Olymp...ital-Lens.html
Cannot vouch for the site though. Never bought from them.

Earlier it was available on smartshopper.in. Now out of stock.
Old 24th October 2012, 11:13   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Mama Mia. Someone is going all out guns blazing.

http://www.ezeekart.com/p-1587/Olymp...ital-Lens.html
Cannot vouch for the site though. Never bought from them.

Earlier it was available on smartshopper.in. Now out of stock.
Well I gotta start saving a bit for the primes wifey is not going to be too happy about making another purchase now. She does not understand why a camera or a lens needs to be so expensive!!!

How i wish the boss at work suddenly finds some love for me and sends me on a tour for a few weeks now will help with saving enough for the lens purchases.

The Oly 45mm is also available with jjmehta now. Price is also good (@20k).
Old 25th October 2012, 18:41   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
But just can't get the live preview and remote zoom out of my head. Mostly for self/family portraits and candid moments at events.
Finally I was able to get it out of my head. Sony Nex 5R and nikon 3200 also have wifi capability.

This is not a EVIL specific question, but, should I wait till January to get the power zoom lens (16-50) with NEX 5R? Right now it's only available with manual zoom lens (18-55). I kinda like manual zoom, but it's not smooth for videos. I am graduating in December and wanted to take the new camera to the event.

The lens options in Nex world are very narrow though, and with adapters and non Nex lenses I am afraid I will lose auto focus.
Old 25th October 2012, 22:29   #470
BHPian

Just saw from the Sony Canada website that the Sony NEX 6 with the kit lens is in stock. Not sure if the lens alone is in stock yet. Nex 5R is a good choice as well. The NEX system as such is gaining momentum and I guess we would be seeing more and more lenses in the next months.
Old 25th October 2012, 23:16   #471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
This is not a EVIL specific question, but, should I wait till January to get the power zoom lens (16-50) with NEX 5R?
Oh boy, that lens suddenly makes the NEX system very interesting. Finally NEX system has the lens that can challenge the 12-50mm from Olympus.

Those folks who have shot fullframe dSLR with Canon 24-105mm or Nikon 24-85mm lens, know the walkaround capability of the combo. The standard zoom lens starting at 24mm EFL can handle 90% of needs of a regular photographer.

I had found such lens in 4/3 with Zuiko 12-60mm, the finest lens I ever owned. It got sold like hot cake when I put it up for sale on Amazon. But finding something closer was a challenge in m4/3. Eventually Olympus came out with the practical 12-50mm (EFL 24-100mm). I could never get interested in NEX because it had no such lens. But, now there is... and it is so small compared to the similar Olympus lens.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-51j96sjlipl._sl500_.jpg Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-31olqykbiwl._sl500_.jpg

Why is the Olympus lens 3 times longer than the similar Sony lens?
Old 25th October 2012, 23:34   #472
Senior - BHPian

I guess it's just advances in technology, did you not see the new G X 14-42 pancake lens from panasonic? although it starts at F3.5 (EDIT: just noticed, so does your other lens).

But after all my research, I might just end up getting canon T4i. have about another month before I decide.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 25th October 2012 at 23:41.
Old 26th October 2012, 00:48   #473
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Ok I tried to test the IS effect myself today. Took two pictues at identical position and camera settings one with IS off and other with max IS applied.

Here are the results (100% crops):

With maximum IS (5 axis in case of the OM-D)
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-pa250053_1.jpg

With IS Off
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-pa250055_1.jpg

Camera settings:
50mm (using kit 12-50 lens), 1/30, f6.3, ISO 3200, flash off.

Clearly IS works. Sorry for the poor images. I am just a beginner at the moment and it was kind of first attempt at manual settings.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:09   #474
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

I am not sure if this was already published.

Sony NEX-7 now available in India @ 79,990/- with 18-55 kit lens. The same camera cost $1349.99 on the Sony USA store. So if we do a direct conversion, we will be paying about 5k more than the US price. At this price, NEX-7 is directly pitted against the OM-D EM5 which is priced at 73,990/- on Flipkart.

IMO, this adds a lot to the confusion. At 80k price range, the options in DX format cameras are D7000, 60D and Aplha A77. It will be difficult to narrow down .
Old 26th October 2012, 15:14   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Camera settings:
50mm (using kit 12-50 lens), 1/30, f6.3, ISO 3200, flash off.

Clearly IS works. Sorry for the poor images. I am just a beginner at the moment and it was kind of first attempt at manual settings.
Yes IS works as it should but how come you got so much shake at 1/30 shutter speed at 50mm without IS ?
BTW Can you please check the lowest shutter speed possible handheld with OM-D IS at 50mm ?

I did similar experiment with sometime back with Canon Kit lens 18-55 IS I am able to take up to Tv= 1/8 hand held in low light and with IS off able to to click till Tv=1/20 at various focal lengths between 28mm to 50mm but below 1/15 picture gets soft with out IS.

Last edited by amitk26 : 26th October 2012 at 15:42.
Old 26th October 2012, 16:14   #476
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
I got a silver from jayesh., with 14-42 Lens, didnt pick the 12-50 Lens. 8GB card if offered free from Oly. Also a carry case.

Waiting to pick on 45mm Lens on this One!!
How much did you pay for it combined? I too had planned for it then decided on body+9-18mm as stock lens and the 45mm. Presently waiting for silver body to arrive before the final round of haggling begins.

--R
Old 26th October 2012, 16:34   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Yes IS works as it should but how come you got so much shake at 1/30 shutter speed at 50mm without IS ?
BTW Can you please check the lowest shutter speed possible handheld with OM-D IS at 50mm ?

I did similar experiment with sometime back with Canon Kit lens 18-55 IS I am able to take up to Tv= 1/8 hand held in low light and with IS off able to to click till Tv=1/20 at various focal lengths between 28mm to 50mm but below 1/15 picture gets soft with out IS.
Yes I will try at other speeds also.

50mm on the OM-D is equivalent to 100mm on full frame. crop factor is different on your canon.
Old 27th October 2012, 00:38   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Just saw from the Sony Canada website that the Sony NEX 6 with the kit lens is in stock. Not sure if the lens alone is in stock yet. Nex 5R is a good choice as well. The NEX system as such is gaining momentum and I guess we would be seeing more and more lenses in the next months.
Availability of Nex 6 with the new lens is november, for nex 5r it's january. the lens is still in works it seems. I would have taken nex 6 if it had touch screen and fully tiltable lcd for self portraits.

I have pre-ordered nex 5R with the new lens. if it doesn't arrive by mid dec, i might have to jump ships.
Old 27th October 2012, 01:59   #479
Team-BHP Support

I am planning to sell of the FZ-35, and get an EVIL to complement my D7000.
Often, out of lack of time, lazinesss or whatever, I do not put any other lens on D7000 except the 16-85, thus I often miss shots. Having an EVIL with 28-80 (equiv) kind of zoom attached would be great.

Also, D7000 video AF is hopeless. EVILs do video better since contrast detect is their bread and butter.

Price : Under 500$

Options
1. Panasonic GX1
Pro - Class leading video
Con - Dynamic range and image quality is not too great(though not bad either)
2. NEX 5N
Pro - Image quality, dynamic range, low light capability
Con - With 18-55 kit lens its little bulky. Not sure about video AF, No ViewFinder, have to shoot with screen only.

What do you guys suggest in this price bracket? I am gravitating towards 5N because it has the same sensor as D7000, and I am extremely happy with dynamic range and image quality provided by the d7000

Also what about E-PM2. ITs slightly above my budget, but if its the same sensor as OM, then its quite good

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th October 2012 at 02:02.
Old 27th October 2012, 05:22   #480
Senior - BHPian

EPM2 is the latest in your list and should have the most updated hardware and software. Also, in theory M4/3 lenses should be smaller than APS C in nex series.

here are the features that I have struggled to find in a single camera. wi-fi (remote live view, zoom, shutter etc), touch screen for instant focus control, articulated LCD for self/family portraits, lens family, kit lens availability (both sony 16-50 and pana G X 14-42 are not available with their budget cameras yet), size. (I will let you know if I remember more points)

GH3 checks all boxes but will cost 1600 with the lens. Decided to go with nex 5R which has everything but a great selection of native lens family.

At some point I also considered T4i and nikon D3200.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks