Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 14:29   #4351
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
How many kms on odo? Timing belt failure is a scary thing to happen. I suffered once with it on my 800 in middle of congested road.
Yes it was sudden and scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One reason for this would be the luggage pressing against the lock lever of the rear door. Have had this issue, at the airport.

Oh, yeah. May be the lady knows how to hide a Storme in her vanity bag ?
I just had 1 suitcase and 1 bag though. The suitcase was also a strolley which I take on office tours as it fits in the overhead bin.
Old 25th August 2016, 18:23   #4352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Timing belt failure.. the vehicle was serviced at Aristo Motors 2 weeks back.
This is sad and absolutely ridiculous for TATA. They have gone through about seven iterations of Timing Belt and Tensioner/Pulley updates for the 2.2 VVTI and I can't believe that such a common part which are available on most OHC engines can break at at such low mileage.

Same thing happened to my friends Xenon Crew Cab at about 30K kms. The said thing is that you end up with a car which has done only 30K odd kilometers but with a rebuilt engine. Engine seizes once the timing belt breaks, the 2.2 VVTI is an interference engine.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 16:21   #4353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyag79 View Post
Seems like all the discussion has moved to the Varicor 400 thread. Nonetheless, completed 40,000 km in 26 months. As I have been reporting before, no issues whatsoever in the ride to highlight. My Blaupunkt LCD screen lost its touch capabilities and developed a mind of its own, it kept on increasing the volume changing mode by itself. Since the 2 year warranty was over, I went to a local shop who replaced the LCD screen with a new one for INR 1,700 and its working fine now.

Got a few basic external mod jobs. Black sticker along A/B pillars, front chrome grill that has STORME embossed and a dark tint on the third row side windows. Only thing left to do is smoking tail lamps that I should get done soon.
Yes, it looks like discussions are happening elsewhere now. My vehicle is now 77250+ km in approximately 31 months. No problems to report as such, except warranty stuff. AC compressor has been replaced and engine mountings replaced twice. Nothing else so far.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 15:06   #4354
Distinguished - BHPian

Overdrive spies have caught the Tata Safari Storme 1.99L on a testing run for the very first time!

The test mule, caught on camera on the Manali-Leh highway, was being tested alongside a Mahindra XUV500 1.99L, possibly as a benchmark car.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-tatasafaristorme199.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 17:23   #4355
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Overdrive spies have caught the Tata Safari Storme 1.99L on a testing run for the very first time!
Typically s-l-o-w Tata. The 2.0L ban came and went, and they're still testing the 1.99L .

Unless Tata thinks there'll be a ban on 2.0s again, the 1.99 is now rendered pointless.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 17:31   #4356
Distinguished - BHPian

With the way our system works and how the powers think, or how unpredictable they can be, we never know when this will come of use.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:35   #4357
Distinguished - BHPian

Instead of developing a new 1.99L 'Diesel' engine, Tata could have plonked Jaguar's AJ200D (2L Ingenium Diesel).

Imagine a Tata with a Jaguar heart would have been enough to turn the tables for Safari
karan561 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:40   #4358
Senior - BHPian

I don't know the specs of the 1.99l engine, but wont it be underpowered for the bulk of the Safari or the Hexa ?

Reminds me of the 1st gen Safari. All show no go, till the 3.0 engine and later the 2.2 Dicor engine came into being.

Even if the 1.99 produces enough power, going by the other discussion on emissions in high compression engines, this will pollute more than the 2.2 ?
Old 2nd September 2016, 20:31   #4359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
I don't know the specs of the 1.99l engine, but wont it be underpowered for the bulk of the Safari or the Hexa ?

Reminds me of the 1st gen Safari. All show no go, till the 3.0 engine and later the 2.2 Dicor engine came into being.

Even if the 1.99 produces enough power, going by the other discussion on emissions in high compression engines, this will pollute more than the 2.2 ?
Let's wait until official power figures are out. Regarding emissions let the honorable NGT decide that. As per them anything less than 2 liter is green energy
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 21:57   #4360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Typically s-l-o-w Tata. The 2.0L ban came and went, and they're still testing the 1.99L .
While i do not deny that Tata is typically slow, i think it is rather unfair to blame Tata Motors in this specific instance for being slow to react.

Everyone agrees that the Government / Judiciary decision to ban vehicles above 2L was ridiculous, un-justifiable, arbitrary and a knee-jerk reaction. Though it has been revoked (for now), it sets a very dangerous precedent and there is always a possibility that it may come back to haunt the industry. Tata Motors may have started work on this, and may think it is justified, to take their work to a logical closure.

BTW, except Mahindra no other manufacturer (e.g. Toyota) is prepared with a sub 2L engine. Tata is working on it, so why the fuss? They may just want to be prepared if another round of insane and arbitrary decision making hits them.

Tomorrow if the government (again arbitrarily) decides vehicles above 1.95L capacity are banned, will we blame Tata and Mahindra, for not being prepared?

Last edited by sachinayak : 2nd September 2016 at 21:59.
sachinayak is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 23:22   #4361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Unless Tata thinks there'll be a ban on 2.0s again, the 1.99 is now rendered pointless.
Once you've invested in the project it's better you take it through.
Thus ban may have come and went, but that doesn't make 1.99 L Engine obsolete.

What if they've found something interesting like same power output with 10% better efficiency.
As far as I know Safari is one of the most efficient SUV, considering its weight and size and any interest will only make it more lucrative.

Or let's say lower spec Safari n Hexa will come with 1.99 L engine and top of line with 2.2 L engine.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 15:47   #4362
BHPian

The milage of my Storme has taken a nose dive recently. From approximately 550 kms till Warning light on with a full tank, thw figure has dropped to about 475. At the same time, the AC makes a loud whirring noise anytime the fan speed is more than 2. Any pointers?
Old 3rd September 2016, 20:17   #4363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Instead of developing a new 1.99L 'Diesel' engine, Tata could have plonked Jaguar's AJ200D (2L Ingenium Diesel).
Not so easy. Mounting the engine, transmission and all other systems is too much hard work.

Unless an engine is made for a family of cars, plonking a different engine into an existing car is difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
As per them anything less than 2 liter is green energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post

BTW, except Mahindra no other manufacturer (e.g. Toyota) is prepared with a sub 2L engine.
I agree that the decision of supreme court makes no sense.

I don't think Toyota will get the approval from the HQ in Japan to modify an engine because of a ban in a small region in India. They'll just sell you the petrol engine. (which also took too much time to come)

For Mahindra and Tata, their car sale volumes mattered more as they don't sell too many cars abroad. So, the 1.99 ltr engine was vital.

Nobody will deny that Tata is slow. The 1.99 ltr engine is a wasted effort today.

Think of it: Mahindra launched the XUV 500 in 2011, the Hexa will start selling in 2017 or late 2016. Tata needs to work faster.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 00:46   #4364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
The milage of my Storme has taken a nose dive recently. From approximately 550 kms till Warning light on with a full tank, thw figure has dropped to about 475. At the same time, the AC makes a loud whirring noise anytime the fan speed is more than 2. Any pointers?
Might be worth a service center visit. Mine is is 7 months and 13000 kms old and the last fill gave me a whopping 13.7 kmpl! Had a short 100 kms highway patch in it so a bit skewed but am sure without it too the mileage was significantly higher. Normally, been getting 550-575 kms before the light comes on. Are you sure no cheating at the bunk you filled? How many miles on your beast so far?
Old 4th September 2016, 08:10   #4365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
The milage of my Storme has taken a nose dive recently.
1) FE: either under-inflation of tyres, or bad fuel, or air filter. My SA says nothing much to tinker around.
2) Visit to TASS should help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks