Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:43   #2506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
I was not at all sure how my family and friends would possibly react to it when i try to show them my first car for the frst time. I would hate to see that they are finding faults with such a big investment (and emotional attachment as well) on the very first day.

Not being sure about what to do, especially after seeing the interiors of the Polo Trendline, i asked for a couple of days more from the SR and headed back.
Oh man, you have described almost exactly what I'm thinking right now. Just that I haven't made any decisions yet. More than the plastic quality, it's the various niggles that I'm more concerned about.
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:46   #2507
BHPian

Quote:
I had been to Tejaswi Motors, Hyderabad, today to book a Punto MJD Active. I had so far taken a look at only the display vehicles at the showrooms and the TD vehicles which were mostly E Pack Variants. Thus i wanted to have a good look at the Active before the booking process. The SP took me to the stockyard where i got a chance to look at all the versions side by side and do a comparo for myself.

I know that the interiors of the punto is one of its weak points, but i felt that there is also a huge difference in quality and fit and finish of interiors between the base and top-end versions. The active gave the impression of a way cheaper car from the inside. I was not at all sure how my family and friends would possibly react to it when i try to show them my first car for the frst time. I would hate to see that they are finding faults with such a big investment (and emotional attachment as well) on the very first day.

Not being sure about what to do, especially after seeing the interiors of the Polo Trendline, i asked for a couple of days more from the SR and headed back.

But after some thinking, i feel that i am still going ahead with the Punto, though whats on the platter for the active is too crude to digest. I think, i am more comfortable in compromising with plastic quality than going for a 3 pot. Hope I am thinking straight.
I own Active model, there is not that much difference in quality of plastics.
Usually the cars in the showroom have polished plastics, which appears of better quality.

I really doubt Fiat is using different plastics in different models.
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:47   #2508
BHPian

Quote:
I know that the interiors of the punto is one of its weak points, but i felt that there is also a huge difference in quality and fit and finish of interiors between the base and top-end versions. The active gave the impression of a way cheaper car from the inside.
Only difference technically from EP version and all other versions is the presence of ACC which gives a different look to the centre console - having push buttons instead of knobs. Also the buttons are silver in colour in EP and black in other variants. Other than this I didnt find anything different in plastics between top & base versions. Some owners can please clarify this.
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:55   #2509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Only difference technically from EP version and all other versions is the presence of ACC which gives a different look to the centre console - having push buttons instead of knobs. Also the buttons are silver in colour in EP and black in other variants. Other than this I didnt find anything different in plastics between top & base versions. Some owners can please clarify this.
Arun is right.
Climate control, central console area in silver finish, integrate music system, dual tone interiors (grey and black, although i prefer all black) gives a better overall feel.
Other than that, plastics are same.
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:55   #2510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Usually the cars in the showroom have polished plastics, which appears of better quality.

I really doubt Fiat is using different plastics in different models.
i own an active and my friend has an emotion , the quality of plastics is exactly the same. only difference is in emotion it is 2 tone.

Last edited by ms001 : 23rd July 2010 at 17:15.
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:02   #2511
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Oh man, it's the various niggles that I'm more concerned about.
StarrySky, The niggles have been ironed out. Also the Service centres are now much more prepared and they have a very good knowledge about the car. Especially Fiat is very concerned and every small issue is taken seriously and dealt with immediately.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Only difference technically from EP version and all other versions is the presence of ACC which gives a different look to the centre console - having push buttons instead of knobs. . Some owners can please clarify this.
Quote:
Arun is right.
Climate control, central console area in silver finish, integrate music system, dual tone interiors (grey and black, although i prefer all black) gives a better overall feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
i own a active and my friend has a emotion , the quality of plastics is exactly the same. only difference is in emotion it is 2 tone.
+1 to all you guys. There is no difference in plastic quality between variants. The display cars look better because of the polish. Also the two tone plastics + silver on Emotion and EP variants just look better.
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:30   #2512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
+1 to all you guys. There is no difference in plastic quality between variants. The display cars look better because of the polish. Also the two tone plastics + silver on Emotion and EP variants just look better.
hi MCR, There may not be a difference in quality or fit and finish between variants, but earlier Puntos (some 8 mnths back when I saw) in Active and dynamic looked very very dull. It could be because of all black dash and seat color combination. But The two tone looked decent in Emotion and Emotion pack. But not too great (Emotion pack somehow feels nice because of a touch of leather,ACC display/buttons).

Even now I still remember my decision making hour, compromise on interiors a bit or compromise on a (underpowered engine, not so effective AC) of the nearest competition. Eventually I choose thinking as long as I handle interior carefully particularly the levers, It should be fine.

Man! Loosing potential buyers simply on quality of interiors is really bad on Fiat's part. Why can't they fix these simple things. Their Sourcing managers should be given a heavy
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:35   #2513
BHPian

Thanks to all, for making it clear that the quality is the same and that polishing is the reason for the apparent difference. I was in a dilemma for some time now, but i will go ahead with the booking now.

It woud have been really cool if there were some after-market option to put a millimeter or two thick rubbery & soft-to-touch coating/filming over the entire interior plastics. That would have taken care of all issues at once, like quality, looks, inconsistent panel gaps and finishings.
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:52   #2514
BHPian

Since Active doesn't have airbags, you can jazz up the dash and interiors with covers etc. You can't jazz up the sturdy body and handling quality.
Old 23rd July 2010, 19:43   #2515
BHPian

Did the PDI

I did a PDI of my Tuscan Wine MJD EP today. No major issues found apart from the slightly rusted break discs. Also, the key hole area under the steering is not as good as the one on display in the showroom - finishing not so impressive.

Delivery should be by next thursday or so if the registration formalities including the number plate is to be done before delivery.

A few things I am confused about (these may have been discussed in the forum a number of times, forgive me for asking again):
1. Paint protection / underbody treatment is required for Punto? Someone mentioned that Fiat gives warranty for rusting. An additional coating is suggested especially in Mumbai? Dinitrol costs 4050 and 3M, 3750. What about engine coating?
2. Anyone aware of any decent aftermarket seat covers for Punto? Looking for dual-colored artificial leather in Navi Mumbai area.
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:27   #2516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
I did a PDI of my Tuscan Wine MJD EP today. No major issues found apart from the slightly rusted break discs. Also, the key hole area under the steering is not as good as the one on display in the showroom - finishing not so impressive.

Delivery should be by next thursday or so if the registration formalities including the number plate is to be done before delivery.

A few things I am confused about (these may have been discussed in the forum a number of times, forgive me for asking again):
1. Paint protection / underbody treatment is required for Punto? Someone mentioned that Fiat gives warranty for rusting. An additional coating is suggested especially in Mumbai? Dinitrol costs 4050 and 3M, 3750. What about engine coating?
2. Anyone aware of any decent aftermarket seat covers for Punto? Looking for dual-colored artificial leather in Navi Mumbai area.
Congratulations for your MJD buy.

Front Discs will rust if you leave the car idle for a day after a wash. its normal.

Some Answers:
1. Anti rust treatment is advised if you are going to keep the car for more than 2-3 yrs to yourself. If you plan to sell it early, then its your call to get it done.
Eventually it will protect the car's undercarriage for the next owner as well.
3M will be ok.

BTW, our Fiat comes from the factory with a wax coating to the undercarriage body shell only. Spraying the anti-rust over it is not an issue. Some other parts also get coated..

Engine coating just keeps the engine shiny, looking new that's it. I feel its unnecessary.

2. Seat covers not my field.. I have fabric (cotton) covers stitched from sion.

Last edited by TC_aashay : 23rd July 2010 at 20:31. Reason: typo
Old 23rd July 2010, 21:15   #2517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post

Hey many congratulations on the excellent buy. Is the Tuscan wine a standard colour or do you have to pay a premium for it. How much did it cost OTR.

Time for an ownership thread on your new car mate, with pictures ofcourse. First Tuscan wine on TBhp I guess.

Last edited by MihirC : 23rd July 2010 at 21:17.
Old 23rd July 2010, 21:43   #2518
Senior - BHPian

fta and tuscan wine are premium colours. They cost 4k extra.

Congrats on the car. Haven't seen a tuscan wine punto till date. Pictures bro...

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 23rd July 2010 at 21:45.
Old 23rd July 2010, 21:59   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
Arun is right.
Even I like the all black dashboard compared to the silver central console !
Old 23rd July 2010, 22:16   #2520
superveloce

Another Punto Joins The Forum

Hey bhpians and fellow punters

I am glad to announce that i have joined the list of punto owners, my Red 1.3 Em Pk has just cleared the RTO here in pune. Will take delivery on Monday.

I have some queries:-

1. The vehicle already comes with 195/60/R15 Goodyear GT3s. I want to enquire if i need to change the tires. I am being advised alot by friends to change the goodyears as they are not very good. DO I NEED A CHANGE?
I will obviously replace tires of same spec. I want to know what are my options. I drive alot on concrete expressways, and would like quiet tires but wouldnt want to compromise on grip.
I have Potenza GIII in 195/60/R15 on my swift and they are bloody loud.
I have option of Primacy LC, is yoko decibel available in that size?
And please give me an estimate of cost and buyback

2.I am thinking of upgrading to Philips Extreme Power H4 Headlamps 55/60W. There are said to have 80% longer beam. Is this any good? Or should i get something better? I dont want to install any new relays(cut-out) or HIDs.

Sorry for the rather long queries. (Tried posting in respective threads but didnt get any answers)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks