Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 15:04   #706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Price list from EVM Motors (Cochin):
The Petrol trendline costs 5.22 and the Diesel Highline costs 8.10 OTR in BLR. wow its so cheap in Kerala! now i know why people staying near Karnataka-Kerala register cars in Kerala.
The 1.2 highline is 6.92L in Bangalore compared to 6.34L you paid

Buying car in Bangalore is seriously expensive
Old 26th March 2010, 15:32   #707
Senior - BHPian

With this level of customer engagement VW is asking for big trouble.Too much dependency on dealers. Don't know how Jetta and Passt owners were coping up till now.
6.92L is OTR price only till April 1. After that it will be around 7.15-7.2L. What say now?
Old 26th March 2010, 15:34   #708
BHPian

Wow 6.92L is seriously a rip off. What's forming the bulk of that extra amount - registration taxes or bogus dealership charges? At 7.2L, the Polo will only be bought by hardcore fans of the German marque or enthusiasts. Most people are going to look elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post

I asked them about color availability, but the girl kept repeating that there are only 3 colors available (yaaa I know that), she didnt seem to understand my query properly I guess, but after lot of explanation
she says, oh the other colors, well they would be available later (yaa I know that),
but when??
Blue, Grey and Black will be launched with the diesel, or at least that's what the sales GM of the dealership I bought my Polo from told me. Don't expect the petrol variants in those colors until the diesel version is out.

Last edited by khan75 : 26th March 2010 at 15:42.
Old 26th March 2010, 16:22   #709
Senior - BHPian

No Khanji,this is not a Polo specific problem. This is the ripoff by government not by any dealer. This affects all brands. The registration charges itself is going to be something above 15% for 5-10L segment after April 1.Add to that the 1% VAT increase.

Last edited by poloman : 26th March 2010 at 16:24.
Old 26th March 2010, 16:29   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
No Khanji,this is not a Polo specific problem. This is the ripoff by government not by any dealer. This affects all brands. The registration charges itself is going to be something above 15% for 5-10L segment after April 1.Add to that the 1% VAT increase.
I know that polomanji, but the problem is that the Polo Highline is already somewhat of an over-expensive proposition in most people's eyes (look how many people on TBHP are interested in a HL vs CL or TL) and I think most prospective buyers shopping in the 7L bracket would probably spring for a Jazz, i20 or a sedan owing to the Indian buyer mindset. With the price increase, there will be many, many more doubters compared to fans.

Last edited by khan75 : 26th March 2010 at 16:31.
Old 26th March 2010, 18:39   #711
BHPian

Bangalore OTR prices of all vehicles are high, its bound to happen when Govt change policies and start charging exorbitant road taxes, manufacturer doesn't have control on registration or insurance costs either, they can only set ex-show room prices.
And probably give discounts later once volumes dont show up.

With the money I pay for a high end B seg petrol hatchback in Bangalore I can get the same high end B seg diesel hatch in Delhi. Thats how the Kar Govt rips you off.

Last edited by samsan02 : 26th March 2010 at 18:40.
Old 26th March 2010, 19:34   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Bangalore OTR prices of all vehicles are high, its bound to happen when Govt change policies and start charging exorbitant road taxes, manufacturer doesn't have control on registration or insurance costs either, they can only set ex-show room prices.
And probably give discounts later once volumes dont show up.

With the money I pay for a high end B seg petrol hatchback in Bangalore I can get the same high end B seg diesel hatch in Delhi. Thats how the Kar Govt rips you off.
Those who live in Bangalore only will have this much anguish ! Pathetic roads and the highest road tax in India. And the highest fuel prices as well. just imagine, I am waiting for my Ford Figo Titanium TDCi and the on road price comes about 6.3 L. Despite booking it on 6 March and having assurance of delivery by 25 March, it is not likely to happen. I will end up paying 10 - 15 K extra, it is almost sure. Just across the boarder in Kerala, fellow T-BHPians have taken delivery of the same model for just 5.8 L ! There the road tax is 6% and in Bangalore it is 14.5 % To add to it, a VAT hike as well which we will affect everyone, not just car buyers.
Old 26th March 2010, 19:43   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Those who live in Bangalore only will have this much anguish !
Yes, but that is a price to pay for living in one of the nicer places in India. I am from Pune, lived in Blr from 2002 for 5 years, yes the traffic sucks, but if I could go back, I would!
Old 26th March 2010, 20:37   #714
BHPian

Well, it was my day to TD a couple of cars, one of them being VW Polo, test drove it today at Moti Nagar, Delhi and I must admit, on the whole I am bluddy impressed with the Polo !!! The comments/points that are to follow, most of them have already been discussed at length in GTO's review, but thought i'd share common man's take on them. It goes without saying that GTO is dead right with his review of the car!

Things I liked about the Polo:

1. Looks : Absolutely stunning in Red!
2. Engine: Barring the initial rumble, the engine felt smooth. Well I have always had my doubts about the three pot and during my chat with the sales person, I was told that VW is looking at a service interval of 15K kms on both Diesel and Petrol versions. I'd say that speaks volumes about the level of confidance, the company has in the engine.
3. Gear lever/shift: Smooth and assured... lovely gear knob (class written all over it), the fact that it goes down a bit for the reverse mode is odd but very likeable!
4. Ride - Nice suspension, made it point to to take it over a 100 mtr stetch full of huge potholes, interestingly nothing squeaky about it (as I had managed to TD the new swift couple of hours ago, id say better than swift)
5. Interiors - Nice and classy, overall, I' say Polo is one 'finished product', no cheap plastics to complain about.. (a la Punto) !
6. Got my TD done in 25 mins with TD time of 15-20 mins
7. Add-ON outer mods(skirting) available for 50K ..with them 'on' man she looks Awe-some!
8. Steering wheel - Nice to hold on to, doesn't slip out during single handed 'U-turns' we delhi-ites attempt every day.( I found the Swift steering a tad small..it kept slipping in my hand every now and then)

Stuff I didn't like about Polo:
1. Engine - Initial rumble wasn't very inspiring (coning from a Swift TD), noise levels were on the higher side. But I liked what I heard though...the VW engine grunt! Overall the engine took some effort to get going, esp as I chose to push it in a bid to attempt some overtaking (the sales person with me on the TD, had his heart in his mouth all throughout!..considering he had already told me that the car was yet to be registered!). This engine is definitely not for the one, looking to be the 'first off the block' ...err 'red lights' i.e. if one is on mad delhi roads!
2. Dashboard corner lining swooping down toward the gear - If you are 5'11 and upwards, you are bound to feel a bit cramped on the left side.
3. No Dead pedal - No space for it either i.e. on the left side of the clutch.
4. Rear leg room - Strictly average, especially if someone as tall as 5'11 (and upwards) is in the drivers seat.
5. Base version has on road price of 4.99 lacs - Ouch!...that hurts!
6. Forced goodies on the Basic version - 13.5K INR in the overall 4.99 Lacs is for mud flaps etc along with crappy Kenwood stereo and speakers.
7. Waiting Period of 3-4 months - Sigh! total down-er...just too much of a wait for me personally!
8. With so much interest in the car and limited dealership, I wonder how VW is going to handle the servicing of these cars.

Stuff that felt a bit odd for a modern day car:

1. Don't know if anyone has taken notice of the fact that the engine bay/well for Polo seemed surprisingly empty! The engine is small (or possibly the bay area is larger than normal) and is placed is right in the middle with lots of space on either side. (reminded me of the good ol' days of Premier Padmini and Ambassador).

- B4w

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th March 2010 at 14:54. Reason: Language change
Old 26th March 2010, 20:42   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Yes, but that is a price to pay for living in one of the nicer places in India. I am from Pune, lived in Blr from 2002 for 5 years, yes the traffic sucks, but if I could go back, I would!
lol I'd buy a jeep and move to Kashmir or HP if I could. No traffic and go anywhere you like!
Old 26th March 2010, 21:02   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post

Don't know if anyone has taken notice of the fact that the engine bay/well for Polo seemed surprisingly empty! The engine is small (or possibly the bay area is larger than normal) and is placed is right in the middle with lots of space on either side. (reminded me of the good ol' days of Premier Padmini and Ambassador).
Thats one of the first things I noticed too. Rather than the engine, its the "lack" of one that catches the eye. I wonder if the reason for the large bay is the 1.6L unit that will "use" the empty space. Cost cutting again! Ditto for the 240km/hr speedo.
Old 27th March 2010, 19:33   #717

Modded VW Polos. (the official Polo Mod thread)

The car has barely been out in the market and I have already seen a few awesome looking polos. There is a Red one in BAndra with Some awesome 17 inch polished silver rims on it which stands outside Yokos, a black one seen on Carter road with AWESOME 5 spoke Black rims which looked like they were 16 inchers, and a white one with the black and chrome lip combination seen frequently at dadar.

Unluckily, havent been able to take pictures of any of these yet. But Will get the pics of the red car soon.

If anyone else has any pics, please let them pour right in!!
Old 27th March 2010, 19:50   #718
Team-BHP Support

i think ive seen the red one. does it have jet black tints?
Old 27th March 2010, 20:05   #719
Senior - BHPian

the VW Polo is rear wheeldrive,ryt? i mean thats what i read in this months Car India magazine
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2010, 21:13   #720
Senior - BHPian

Hi!
I was looking for a Diesel hatchback in the range of 6 to 8 Lakhs. I had decided on going for the diesel car, since I love the torque. I drive about 1500kms per Month. I wanted to buy a good car and keep it with me for a long time (10/15 years). That is, even if I buy another car at a later date, I would keep this as a second car for my family to use. My primary requirements were good build quality, handling and safety, descent mileage and performance.
After reading TD Reports (excellent!) from Team-BHP, I thought of checking out Polo. Since Polo - Diesel is not yet launched; I took a TD of Fabia–Diesel and Polo–Petrol before taking my final decision. My idea was to first get a good feel of Polo as a car barring the engine. Secondly, since Diesel engine in Polo is supposed to be better than Fabia, I would get an idea as to what to expect from Polo - Diesel.
On 14th of this month, I have booked a Black Polo-Diesel Highline in Bangalore for 8.10L (on road) from Elite Motors – Downtown. My experience during TD and booking the car was fairly good. They have promised me delivery by May end. My impression on the car was almost the same as the Team-BHP Report. However, I would like to add the following:
1. Rear seat back rest sits vertical. This hampers the vision. If it was like the one on i20, it would have been better.
2. Beige flooring is totally illogical. Very difficult to maintain. – I had got vinyl sheet fixed, covering the entire floor space for my Spark. I will have to get the same thing done.
3. Not providing Keyless entry in Comfort-line is a big let down. It is very useful in parking areas.
4. It is a shame that VW is not providing engine option of 1.2 Tsi or 1.4L Crdi. They could have given an option with a higher price if necessary, as with 1.6L Petrol. If Polo 1.4L Crdi-Trendline was available at the cost of the present Diesel 1.2L-Comfortline, I would have been delighted!
5. ABS, EBD, Airbags, Rear wiper, Magwheels are all automobile parts. If they are available with a premium, I can understand. But, electronic parts like multi-function display, climate control, start/stop switch etc are all electronic stuff, which are cheap now a days. There is no big deal in adding them. They should be part of standard accessories even in an entry level variant.
6. Music system with USB, Bluetooth, GPS, Parking sensor, are all very important. Purchaser should have a choice to upgrade if needed. Warranty claws are really not fare. There should be a solution for every problem.
7. I was told that Mud flaps are required for Indian Condition. If so, when the whole car was retuned for Indian condition, mud flaps could have been added!
8. I wanted to know if I could move the vehicle in the 1st gear without touching the accelerator. When I asked the Sales Person his reply was “Sir, our diesel vehicles including Polo can move without accelerator even with 5 people in it. Not only that, you can drive up to 45 KPH just by changing gear without even touching the accelerator. That means in Bangalore city traffic, you will not require using accelerator!” This is good if it is true. Can any one comment?
9. Turbo-lag is not a problem for me since I can take the pleasure of using an excellent gear box!
10. Vanity mirror and toll ticket holders are badly missed.
All in all Polo is an excellent package for an ordinary civilian like me!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks