Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 00:10   #541
BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Indian21r/SunnyPaaji
Hi
Since you are doing the entire circular route it is better to go via Srinagar and return via Manali.
This way the chances of AMS are reduced.Remember if one of the group has a problem everybody suffers.
Also you dont need a HP permit when you drive Leh to Manali.(HVK saar has also pointed this out)
You definitely need more days.It is not just touching base and leaving.

Indian2r
You are going to Delhi twice.That is going to be painful.You can save time by staying there only once.
IMHO taking a swift.Reason being that it is newer and the wide network of service.Gives you an experience of driving the easier part first.Negative: low ground clearance specially when you do the rohtang part.(I did it in a beat via srinagar and except for scraping the bottom at a few places it wasnt a problem).This is my opinion.The rest is up to you.
Regards
PS:What I have gathered from different websites is that the car rental companies can be difficult if they know you are driving to Leh and Manali.
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 08:36   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Thanks for the inputs hvkumar, If Ladahk needs more time, I can incorporate that. My sister just informed that they do not want to do Hyd to Delhi and back by road. So that will be by air for them. I will do some more research on the routes. By the way will Swift be able to do the whole stretch or should I consider taking Innova. Swift is new, 6K on odo and Innova has done close to 180k on odo.
Swift can do the full Ladakh circuit comfortably. Innova is also good. Maybe I would take the Innova since it will have more space.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 12:02   #543
BHPian

[quote=faustus77;2787855]Indian21r/SunnyPaaji
Hi
Since you are doing the entire circular route it is better to go via Srinagar and return via Manali.
This way the chances of AMS are reduced.Remember if one of the group has a problem everybody suffers.
Also you dont need a HP permit when you drive Leh to Manali.(HVK saar has also pointed this out)
You definitely need more days.It is not just touching base and leaving.

Indian2r
You are going to Delhi twice.That is going to be painful.You can save time by staying there only once.
IMHO taking a swift.Reason being that it is newer and the wide network of service.Gives you an experience of driving the easier part first.Negative: low ground clearance specially when you do the rohtang part.(I did it in a beat via srinagar and except for scraping the bottom at a few places it wasnt a problem).This is my opinion.The rest is up to you.
Regards
PS:What I have gathered from different websites is that the car rental companies can be difficult if they know you are driving to Leh and Manali.[/
QUOTE]
For a trip more than 7-10 days, car rental is not worth it. it may be cheaper to buy and car and sell than rent.

The time spent in Delhi is for meeting family friends. It can be cut short to 3-4 days. The reason we may have to do 2 trips here is to catch flight back to Hyderabad. Also it falls kind of midway from Hyderabad. And Taj Mahal will have to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Swift can do the full Ladakh circuit comfortably. Innova is also good. Maybe I would take the Innova since it will have more space.
Even i am contemplating whether I should take Innova. The space and option to sleep are too good to let go. Will check with my dad on this. Swift is fun to drive on the highways though.

Now I have one very important question did you guys book accommodation before hand or was it when you reached there. Since I will be having my sisters traveling I am keen on places which have good facilities.

Will the clockwise (via Srinagar - Leh) and anticlockwise (via Manali - Leh) routes be drastically different in terms of scenic beauty and experience to drive. Thanks for the inputs on permits. With respect to AMS, will patients of Asthma face major issues? While I was doing Sikkim in 2008 October, I have seen few people fall down at Gurudongmar lake. As of now I will be doing most of the driving. My sisters have never driven in the highway or Hills apart from what are there in Hyderabad.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:19   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I have one very important question did you guys book accommodation before hand or was it when you reached there. Since I will be having my sisters traveling I am keen on places which have good facilities.

Depends on the season. Till mid-Aug, it is best if you can arrange acco in advance but then you will also end up paying very high rates. From mid-Aug onwards, you can walk in and get acco anywhere bargaining heavily.

Quote:
With respect to AMS, will patients of Asthma face major issues? While I was doing Sikkim in 2008 October, I have seen few people fall down at Gurudongmar lake. As of now I will be doing most of the driving. My sisters have never driven in the highway or Hills apart from what are there in Hyderabad.
Those with asthma, wheezing & high BP problems are medically advised not to travel to Ladakh. Without having a good head for heights and highway driving, it will be a bad idea for the novice to be on Ladakh's roads.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:35   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on the season. Till mid-Aug, it is best if you can arrange acco in advance but then you will also end up paying very high rates. From mid-Aug onwards, you can walk in and get acco anywhere bargaining heavily.
I will be doing this in June itself. I just saw some accommodation options on the net. Will try to book them .
Quote:
Those with asthma, wheezing & high BP problems are medically advised not to travel to Ladakh. Without having a good head for heights and highway driving, it will be a bad idea for the novice to be on Ladakh's roads.
My mom suffers from Asthma, was inquiring for her. I will be lone driver then unless my cousin joins. Keeping this in mind I will try to schedule it with minimal driving. Will Swift Zdi with 3 pax be able to take all the required luggage. A lot of stuff will have to be dumped on back seat. A 60:40 split would have been ideal. If No. of pax increases to 5 it will be Innova.
Old 25th May 2012, 13:02   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be doing this in June itself. I just saw some accommodation options on the net. Will try to book them .
Better still would be to have lists of hotels which you can check on the spot after you arrive. Online booking (and through agents) can be very expensive.

Quote:
My mom suffers from Asthma, was inquiring for her. I will be lone driver then unless my cousin joins. Keeping this in mind I will try to schedule it with minimal driving.
I am no doctor, but I believe that asthma patients should avoid Ladakh completely because they will face major breathing problems. Even if there are persons with the slightest of breathing problems, you should carry oxygen cylinders along.

Quote:
Will Swift Zdi with 3 pax be able to take all the required luggage. A lot of stuff will have to be dumped on back seat. A 60:40 split would have been ideal. If No. of pax increases to 5 it will be Innova.
Tough for a Swift, it will be overloaded and in roads of June, find it extremely difficult to negotiate some of the roads. Innova with 5 pax is also very much on the higher side, I would not take more than 4. If you prepare well, your baggage itself will occupy significant space.
Old 25th May 2012, 13:49   #547
BHPian

Quote:
I am no doctor, but I believe that asthma patients should avoid Ladakh completely because they will face major breathing problems. Even if there are persons with the slightest of breathing problems, you should carry oxygen cylinders along.
Hi Sir,

What about the heart patients, who have undergone Angioplasty?

Low temperatures can create a problem. Any idea about this?

Cheers!
Irish
Old 25th May 2012, 15:27   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Better still would be to have lists of hotels which you can check on the spot after you arrive. Online booking (and through agents) can be very expensive.
I will look into this. As of now following the list of hotels from this site Ladakh-Hotel - DeViL on WheeLs... looks to be quite exhaustive.

Quote:
By the way what size of oxygen cylinders are advised. How long will the cylinder last approximately. Want to know if one or more are required? Any Refill options?

Quote:
Tough for a Swift, it will be overloaded and in roads of June, find it extremely difficult to negotiate some of the roads. Innova with 5 pax is also very much on the higher side, I would not take more than 4. If you prepare well, your baggage itself will occupy significant space.
Hmm looks like this will create a dilemma. Time to pool in more people and one additional car or reduce the no. of pax to 4 or 3. Looks like Innova will be a better bet for me than Swift from carrying luggage for close to 25-30 days. With last row folded down, it should open a lot of space. By the way ours is 7 seater Innova

If someone wants to join the trip will Jammu / Srinagar Flight make sense. Acclimatization can happen from Srinagar to Leh. If this is a good option, then I can consider driving from

Hyd - Nagpur- Indore - Chittorgarh - Ajmer - Bikaner - Amritsar - pathankot - jammu 2540kms vs

Hyd - Nagpur- Indore - Gwalior- Delhi- ludhiana - pathankot - jammu 2450kms Vs

Hyd - Nagpur- Sagar/Jabalpur - Gwalior- Delhi- ludhiana - pathankot - jammu 2110kms

Option 1 we can avoid Delhi one way. I remember part of highway from Bikaner to Pathankot being butter smooth. and Rajasthan roads to be generally very good

Should be doable in 3 days. What do you guys feel.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:52   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Hi Sir,

What about the heart patients, who have undergone Angioplasty?

Low temperatures can create a problem. Any idea about this?
Heart patients are generally cautioned against going, but I know some who have had heart treatment who have gone to Ladakh.

Quote:
By the way what size of oxygen cylinders are advised. How long will the cylinder last approximately. Want to know if one or more are required? Any Refill options?
You get small cans which are handy and can last you 2-3 minutes. These are normally available at camping accessories stores.

Alternatively, you have to lug along the large oxygen cylinders that you see used in hospitals, which are meant for use for longer time like, say, 30-60 minutes and more. But these are normally hired out from outfits who supply these cylinders against deposit, etc. Too bulky....and unnecessary.

Quote:
Hmm looks like this will create a dilemma. Time to pool in more people and one additional car or reduce the no. of pax to 4 or 3. Looks like Innova will be a better bet for me than Swift from carrying luggage for close to 25-30 days. With last row folded down, it should open a lot of space. By the way ours is 7 seater Innova
Overloading a small car with more than 2 pax & an Innova with more than 4 pax means you will have hardly any space, considering that you have to carry so many things already. Besides, it affects the car's power in steep ascents & bad roads and reduces its GC.

Quote:
Hyd - Nagpur- Indore - Chittorgarh - Ajmer - Bikaner - Amritsar - pathankot - jammu 2540kms
Ajmer is not on your route at all.
You do not have to go via Bikaner to go to Amritsar.
You should be going on Chittorgarh-Bhilwara-Nasirabad-Kishangarh-Ladnun-Ratangad-Sardarshahr-Hanumangarh-Abohar-Taran Taran-Amritsar.

Please check earlier posts of mine, I have uploaded a file with detailed route plans to go to Ladakh by all route combinations.

Quote:
Hyd - Nagpur- Indore - Gwalior- Delhi- ludhiana - pathankot - jammu 2450kms
This is an excellent route for now, except that north of Delhi, NH1 is being widened (and ensuing traffic slow downs) from Panipat to Jalandhar. But expect heavy traffic in sections like Agra-Delhi. Going through Delhi is not a problem at all.

Quote:
Hyd - Nagpur- Sagar/Jabalpur - Gwalior- Delhi- ludhiana - pathankot - jammu 2110kms
To avoid since roads are bad between MH border-Seoni, Laknadon-Sagar and Jhansi-Gwalior.

Quote:
Should be doable in 3 days. What do you guys feel.
Doing Hyderabad-Jammu in 3 days is not easy, it will be a flog of a drive, starting very early every morning and stopping late night all the 3 days.
Old 25th May 2012, 18:15   #550
BHPian

Quote:
You get small cans which are handy and can last you 2-3 minutes. These are normally available at camping accessories stores.
Time for shopping in base camp will do that this week

Quote:
Overloading a small car with more than 2 pax & an Innova with more than 4 pax means you will have hardly any space, considering that you have to carry so many things already. Besides, it affects the car's power in steep ascents & bad roads and reduces its GC.
Agreed. Innova is frozen for the ride. Will get it checked up next week and run it around for sometime. Have to keep tab on list of emergency spares to be carried now

Quote:
Please check earlier posts of mine, I have uploaded a file with detailed route plans to go to Ladakh by all route combinations.
I will surely do that.

Quote:
This is an excellent route for now, except that north of Delhi, NH1 is being widened (and ensuing traffic slow downs) from Panipat to Jalandhar. But expect heavy traffic in sections like Agra-Delhi. Going through Delhi is not a problem at all.
This was my first option too.

To avoid since roads are bad between MH border-Seoni, Laknadon-Sagar and Jhansi-Gwalior. Doing Hyderabad-Jammu in 3 days is not easy, it will be a flog of a drive, starting very early every morning and stopping late night all the 3 days.[/quote] With Innova 3 days will surely be difficult, Swift maybe. Why I was asking was to plan arrival of my sisters directly to Jammu. They are keen on doing road trip but I feel that they should not stress themselves out too much before we reach Leh. Further Flights are also quite reasonable 1 way fare around 8k.

I am getting more and more clarity from your inputs Mr Kumar. Hats off to your patience
Old 27th May 2012, 16:14   #551
BHPian

Hi all, I have finally managed to get a leave of 27 days from June 2nd to June 28th. Will use June 2nd to do a final checklist. Below is the itinerary prepared taking Inputs from Humbleh'd threads, urban_legend itinerary and other travelouges. We will be 5 people in all when traveling in Kashmir, 2 guys (both will drive) and 3 girls.

Leg 1. Driver, myself and cousin will be in this leg of Journey till Delhi. What alternatives will be better to get onto NH3.
DAY - 1 Sunday, June 03, 2012
Hyderabad – Nagpur – Betul (750 Kms)

DAY - 2 Monday, June 04, 2012
Betul – Indore – Shivpuri/ Gwalior (NH3)

DAY - 3 Tuesday, June 05, 2012
Shivpuri/Gwalior -Agra – Delhi (NH3, Yamuna Expressway) Take some rest here

DAY - 4 Wednesday, June 06, 2012. From Delhi the car will have 5 pax
Delhi –Ambala- Ludiana-Amritsar / Pathankot (470 Kms)

DAY - 5 Thursday, June 07, 2012
Amritsar/ Pathankot - Ramban - Banhal - Anantnag - Srinagar ( Avoid Jammu)
How can day 4&5 be managed

DAYs – 6,7 Friday, June 08 & Saturday June 09, 2012
Srinagar Holiday ( Effectively 3 night here. One day in boat House, Gulmarg etc)

Leg 2 Leh
DAY - 8 Sunday, June 10, 2012
Srinagar - Sonamarg - Zojila - drass - Kargil

DAY - 9 Monday, June 11, 2012
Kargil – Padum (To be done if we can manage an extra day. And is Padum really worth the travel) / Buffer day

DAY - 10 Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Kargil - Mulbek - Namik La - Fotu La -Lamayaru - Khaltse - Nimmu - Magnetic Hill - Leh - Vehicle check up (if possible)

DAY - 11 Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Rest Day in Leh/ acclamatising (permits for Khardung La, Mahe, Pangong Tso, Chang La, Tso Moriri, Tso Kar) Leh City tour/ - Hemis, Thikse, Shey - and Stok (Palace and Monasteries), Shanti Stupa etc.

DAY - 12 Thursday, June 14, 2012
Leh - Khardung La - Hunder - Diskit - Panamik - Diskit (Nubra Valley)

DAY - 13 Friday, June 15, 2012
Diskit - Wari La - Chang La - Tangtse - Pagal Nallah - Pangong Tso/ Tangtse

DAY - 14 Saturday, June 16, 2012
Pangong Tso/Tangtse - Changla - Sakti - Karu - Upshi - Mahe - Chumathang - Sumdo - Tso Kiagar -Tso Morriri (Stay at Korzok/Tso Moriri)

DAY - 15 Sunday, June 17, 2012
Tso Moriri - Debring - More Plains - Pang - Lachulung La - Naki La - Gata Loops - Whicsky Nallah - Brandy Nallah - Sarchu

DAY - 16 Monday, June 18, 2012
Sarchu- Jispa / Keylong –Rohtang Pass – Manali

Leg 3 – Spiti Valley Picked straight from Humbleh'd II, By the way will this open by June 15th?
DAY - 17 Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Manali -Rohtang Pass-Losar -Kaza

DAY - 18 Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Kaaza - Dhankar -PinValley - Kaaza

DAY - 19 Thursday, June 21, 2012
Kaaza - Komik - Kaaza

DAY - 20 Friday, June 22, 2012
Kaaza - Kee - Kibber - Tashi Ganga - Kaaza

Day 21 Saturday, June 23, 2012
Kaaza- Pooh – Chtikul

Day 22 Sunday, June 24, 2012
Chtikul- Rampur - Shimla

Leg- 4 Return
Day 23 Monday, June 24, 2012
Shimla -Delhi- Agra

Day 24 Tuesday, June 25, 2012
Agra - Gwalior-Shivpuri – Indore

Day 25 Wednesday, June 26, 2012
Indore -Betul – Nagpur

Day 26 Thursday, June 27, 2012
Nagpur - Hyderabad

Will this be too hectic or can we do it comfortably. Already initiated the process for getting BSNL post paid Mobile, will be picking 3 of them. For the, will be replacing Engine oil, tyres have done 25k, so will have to see if they have to be replaced. Air Pump etc have to be procured. Will do a vet of the checklist this week

thanks

Last edited by indian21r : 27th May 2012 at 16:17. Reason: permit list
Old 27th May 2012, 17:29   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Leg 1. Driver, myself and cousin will be in this leg of Journey till Delhi. What alternatives will be better to get onto NH3.
DAY - 1 Sunday, June 03, 2012
Hyderabad – Nagpur – Betul (750 Kms)
The best route to get onto NH3 is Betul-Harda-Khandwa-Indore bypass.
Do not take the direct Harda-Indore road, it is always in very bad condition.

Quote:
DAY - 3 Tuesday, June 05, 2012
Shivpuri/Gwalior -Agra – Delhi (NH3, Yamuna Expressway) Take some rest here
Yamuna Expressway is not yet officially open.

Quote:
DAY - 4 Wednesday, June 06, 2012. From Delhi the car will have 5 pax
Delhi –Ambala- Ludiana-Amritsar / Pathankot (470 Kms)

DAY - 5 Thursday, June 07, 2012
Amritsar/ Pathankot - Ramban - Banhal - Anantnag - Srinagar ( Avoid Jammu)
How can day 4&5 be managed
With an early morning start from Delhi, you can reach Pathankot the same day, and maybe target Jammu or Udhampur too.
The road via Jammu is quite god now thanks to the 4-laning, although you may still consider the Dyala Chak/Samba-Mansar-Udhampur route.
You will face heavy traffic on the Jammu-Srinagar road.
YOu can easily reach Srinagar the same day from Pathankot.
You do not have to go via Amritsar.

Quote:
Leg 2 Leh
DAY - 8 Sunday, June 10, 2012
Srinagar - Sonamarg - Zojila - drass - Kargil
Try to stay in Sonmarg one of the nights so that you can easily leave for Kargil. If you leave from Sonmarg early morning - and the check post is open at that time - you can even target the the same day.

Quote:
DAY - 9 Monday, June 11, 2012
Kargil – Padum (To be done if we can manage an extra day. And is Padum really worth the travel) / Buffer day
Padum is a hard day's drive, you need the next day to come back. You can even consider going upto Pensi la and returning to Rangdum for the night's stay.

Quote:
DAY - 12 Thursday, June 14, 2012
Leh - Khardung La - Hunder - Diskit - Panamik - Diskit (Nubra Valley)
I would cut out Panamik and consider Turtuk.

Quote:
DAY - 14 Saturday, June 16, 2012
Pangong Tso/Tangtse - Changla - Sakti - Karu - Upshi - Mahe - Chumathang - Sumdo - Tso Kiagar -Tso Morriri (Stay at Korzok/Tso Moriri)
Make enough time to refuel at Karu, and stock some extra fuel. The last 25 kms to Tso M is dirt track without clear road, so ensure that you have a consistent drive to cross Tso Kiagar before dark.

Quote:
Leg 3 – Spiti Valley Picked straight from Humbleh'd II, By the way will this open by June 15th?
Kunzum la should normally open by then. But you do not have to go to Manali. From Gramphoo, 15 kms before Rohtang Pass, you turn off the Manali road and go directly to Kaza. It will be difficult to drive from Sarchu and reach Kaza the same day, it is best you target Keylong the previous day so that with an early start, you can reach Kaza by night. There are no facilities for food or stay between Keylong & Kaza.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 18:12   #553
BHPian

Quote:
The best route to get onto NH3 is Betul-Harda-Khandwa-Indore bypass.
Do not take the direct Harda-Indore road, it is always in very bad condition.
Google maps is also always pointing to route you suggested. By the way can advice some good hotels on these routes

Quote:
Yamuna Expressway is not yet officially open.
But are people allowed on that road. Will use it if allowed.

Quote:
With an early morning start from Delhi, you can reach Pathankot the same day, and maybe target Jammu or Udhampur too.
The road via Jammu is quite god now thanks to the 4-laning, although you may still consider the Dyala Chak/Samba-Mansar-Udhampur route.
You will face heavy traffic on the Jammu-Srinagar road.
YOu can easily reach Srinagar the same day from Pathankot.
You do not have to go via Amritsar.
Amritsar was considered because my sister had a friend there. Even I am thinking of doing till Jammu. By the way can Vaishnodevi trip be done in a day? with Chopper option

Quote:
Try to stay in Sonmarg one of the nights so that you can easily leave for Kargil. If you leave from Sonmarg early morning - and the check post is open at that time - you can even target the the same day.
The trip from here is not fixed at all. It is just to get the dates frozen. 2 nights Srinagar and 1 night Sonmarg will be considered

Quote:
Padum is a hard day's drive, you need the next day to come back. You can even consider going upto Pensi la and returning to Rangdum for the night's stay.
This is if we have only one day window right. Will one day be sufficient from Rangdhum to Leh via Kargil

Quote:
I would cut out Panamik and consider Turtuk.

Quote:
Make enough time to refuel at Karu, and stock some extra fuel. The last 25 kms to Tso M is dirt track without clear road, so ensure that you have a consistent drive to cross Tso Kiagar before dark.
Will be carrying 20 Liters of fuel always

Quote:
Kunzum la should normally open by then. But you do not have to go to Manali. From Gramphoo, 15 kms before Rohtang Pass, you turn off the Manali road and go directly to Kaza. It will be difficult to drive from Sarchu and reach Kaza the same day, it is best you target Keylong the previous day so that with an early start, you can reach Kaza by night. There are no facilities for food or stay between Keylong & Kaza.
Manali was included only because it is our first time there. And Rhotang pass is in that route If it will reduces the hassel of huge traffic Jams. if we are stopping at Keylong then I will have to reduce one day from the below list. What do you advice/ Days 18, 19, 20 what is your order of preference. Can day 21 and Day 22 be clubbed. If it is just a hill drive, then I would want to do that.

Leg 3 – Spiti Valley
DAY - 18 Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Kaaza - Dhankar -PinValley - Kaaza
DAY - 19 Thursday, June 21, 2012
Kaaza - Komik - Kaaza
DAY - 20 Friday, June 22, 2012
Kaaza - Kee - Kibber - Tashi Ganga - Kaaza
Day 21 Saturday, June 23, 2012
Kaaza- Pooh – Chtikul
Day 22 Sunday, June 24, 2012
Chtikul- Rampur - Shimla

By the way with 5 people, we can manage right. As of now I am thing of removing one seat at the back fully to create space. No roof top carriage yet.

Thanks
Rahul
Old 27th May 2012, 18:51   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Google maps is also always pointing to route you suggested. By the way can advice some good hotels on these routes
You have good hotels en route in Indore (there is one just off the bypass, will try to recall name), Vijaipur, Guna (Hotel Varun), Shivpuri (including MPTDC) & Gwalior (many inside town, including MPTDC).

Quote:
Amritsar was considered because my sister had a friend there. Even I am thinking of doing till Jammu. By the way can Vaishnodevi trip be done in a day? with Chopper option
Going to Amritsar will add distance and also alter your time duration. IN that case, you will reach Amritsar that night and the next day reaching Srinagar will be all that more difficult since Pathankot is 2 hours ahead of Amritsar.

Going to Vaishnodevi will involve a 18+18 km detour to Katra. Choppers have to be booked online (?) and you seldom get a seat on demand or on arrival, therefore a darshan will entail at least an extra day.

Quote:
This is if we have only one day window right. Will one day be sufficient from Rangdhum to Leh via Kargil
No, very difficult. The road is normally very bad and slow, so Rangdum-Kargil drive itself can take you most part of the day. The best you can do that day would be probably reach Lamayuru.

Quote:
Manali was included only because it is our first time there. And Rhotang pass is in that route If it will reduces the hassel of huge traffic Jams. if we are stopping at Keylong then I will have to reduce one day from the below list. What do you advice/ Days 18, 19, 20 what is your order of preference. Can day 21 and Day 22 be clubbed. If it is just a hill drive, then I would want to do that.
If you intend to return via Kaza, there is no question of going to Manali, you proceed directly from Keylong to Kaza. Please be warned that this road will be very bad in June, expect water crossings to be treacherous in the latter part of the day.

Quote:
By the way with 5 people, we can manage right. As of now I am thing of removing one seat at the back fully to create space. No roof top
The less the number of people, the better . 5 is still a crowd.
Old 27th May 2012, 20:50   #555
BHPian

Quote:
You have good hotels en route in Indore (there is one just off the bypass, will try to recall name), Vijaipur, Guna (Hotel Varun), Shivpuri (including MPTDC) & Gwalior (many inside town, including MPTDC)
.Thanks

Quote:
Going to Amritsar will add distance and also alter your time duration. IN that case, you will reach Amritsar that night and the next day reaching Srinagar will be all that more difficult since Pathankot is 2 hours ahead of Amritsar.

Going to Vaishnodevi will involve a 18+18 km detour to Katra. Choppers have to be booked online (?) and you seldom get a seat on demand or on arrival, therefore a darshan will entail at least an extra day.

No, very difficult. The road is normally very bad and slow, so Rangdum-Kargil drive itself can take you most part of the day. The best you can do that day would be probably reach Lamayuru.
Vaishnodevi and Amritsar, we will take a call today or tomorrow on this. If these are there then Day 9 Rangdhum /padum will be shelved. Or are these places worth compromising something else. 2 days here have to be evaluated

Quote:
If you intend to return via Kaza, there is no question of going to Manali, you proceed directly from Keylong to Kaza. Please be warned that this road will be very bad in June, expect water crossings to be treacherous in the latter part of the day
It will still be doable right

Quote:
The less the number of people, the better . 5 is still a crowd.
I also feel that it will be tight what with the water/ fuel etc occupying a lot of space. 2 of the pax said they will confirm by tonight. Let me see what they will come up with.

By the way anyone here doing routes days similar to mine. If we are same locations , we can meet up

Last edited by indian21r : 27th May 2012 at 20:53.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks