Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 09:32   #406
J.Ravi

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Were you there on that day at sonamarg then you would have noticed a cocktail green Beat with MH 01 number plates driven by alone by a senior citizen?
We were stranded in Sonamarg on 16 September 2011 for more than 9 hours due to road closure. We left Sonamarg at 8:30 pm on the same day when the road was cleared and opened for traffic, reached Kargil at 3:00 am, slept in our idling Linea at IOCL petrol pump up to 6:00 am, had tankful of petrol [first customer on that day!], continued our journey and reached Leh by 2:30 pm on 17 September 2011.

Old 21st March 2012, 11:06   #407
BHPian

Hi All,
I am planning for a trip to leh in the first week of July with my friends. We are a group of 11 people. Our travel dates are from June30-July9th. Here is a brief plan of the trip
Day-1: Flight from Bangalore-Delhi. Evening catch a overnight bus to Manali
Day-2: Reach Manali. Find taxi who can take us to Leh. Start off to leh. Halt at Keylong/Jispa
Day-3: Leave early by around 5AM and try to reach Leh by evening.
Day-4: Leh- Arrange taxi/permits(?) for leh sight seeing & if possible squeeze in local sight seeing.
Day-5 & 6: Nubra valley
Day-7: Pangong lake
Day-8&9: Tso Moriri lake
Day-10: Flight from Leh-Bangalore.

Some of my queries
(1) Is this plan feasible?
- I am ok to miss Tso Moriri lake if it is similar to Pangong lake. In that case I will spend an extra day at Pangong lake. Both lakes are equally beautiful. I am unable to take a call on this.
(2) If someone has contact numbers of taxi people at Manali who can take me to Leh can you please provide it? We are looking for 2 Innovas/Quallis/Sumo
(3) I understand that taxis from Manali wont be allowed to ply on tourist routes around leh. So I may need to look for another taxi to see around in leh. Any contacts for that?
(4) Do we need any permits to visit some of the places I have mentioned above?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 25th March 2012, 21:05   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Contact rkbharat. He will give you contact of a driver called "Rigzin". I have heard this chap is very experienced, and reliable.
Speaking of AMS, if you are flying into leh, I recommend 3 nights in Leh. Use them for local sight seeing.
Then spend 2 nights in nubra(300mts lower than leh),
Then spend 2 nights around Pangong (4000ms)

In the end spend your Tso moriri nights(coldest).

Many people I know have taken 2-5 year old kids to leh.
So
1. Acclimatize
Thanks your info is very helpful. Im planning in the 1st week of august - should be no problems right? Will be flying into Leh (for the first time), and have a similar itinerary to what you suggested. How long do we need to travel between Leh to Nubra, Pangong and TsoMoriri? If we are visiting these places in turn do we need to come back to Leh and then head off to the next place? Also any idea if we can camp out in tents in these places?

There will be a group of 7 of us, with 1 or 2 foreigners (ie non Indian passport). I read somewhere all non locals have to get permits to visit Nubra et al - what are the implications if you are foreign? Any problems?

And finally, how bad/difficult is the acclimatization process? All are adults with no major health conditions - I know your probably not a doctor but your trips and experience are legendary!

Cheers.
Old 25th March 2012, 23:28   #409
Team-BHP Support

Tso moriri, Pangong and nubra can be visited by foreigners. You will have to come back to leh, however nubra-pangong via wari la takes 10-11 hours. I have seen foreigners in taxis going over wari la, I guess rigzin can tell you more!
AS for acclimitzation, as long as you spend first 3 nights in leh, and don't go jumping in snow at Khardungla, you will be fine.
Old 25th March 2012, 23:54   #410
BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 - May/June - Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post

A lot of Bhpians are planning for a Leh visit next year. Already Me, SST, MileCruncher ,sumannandy,harjeev are on.

Lets make a Team-BHP Convoy the above period with or without families are welcome to chip in plans and suggestions.

Will be updating this post soon.

v&v
Hi,

Have you finalized the dates for this trip?

Cheers
Old 28th March 2012, 00:28   #411
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am a little confused since the moderator has merged the post I started with this one since it already existed. Basically, I am planning on going with a few friends during June, 2012. Any one going around the same time?

Cheers
Old 28th March 2012, 12:13   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashsg View Post
Me and three of my friends have started planning for a trip from Bangalore to Leh and Ladakh this August. Looking at my holiday calendar (attached), August seems to be the most practical month. I guess - this is also the preferred time for the trip?

Mode of transport : My brand new Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DiCOR EX BS4

If anyone else has similar Leh and Ladakh plan this August, we can surely sync up.
Have some friends starting on 18th Aug, your PM is not enabled here. Mail me ramkris@intaspharma.com if you want to team up with them. Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2012 at 10:39. Reason: Trust me, you don't want your cell number publicly listed on a large forum. Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 08:50   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Please suggest if following is possible in mid-June in a self driven 2wd Scorpio:

Day 12 (June 15): Hundar - Turtuk – Deskit
Day 13 (June 16): Deskit - Khalsar - Agham - Wari La - Shakti - Chang La - Durbuk – Tangtse
Day 14 (June 17): Tangtse – Spangmik

Thanks.

Last edited by dinesha : 30th March 2012 at 08:55.
Old 30th March 2012, 14:10   #414
BHPian

I am also planning to do this epic trip this year. I can spend at the max 17-18 days. I will be driving Swift from Mumbai along with my wife.

Between June and September which is the best time period in terms of roads (considering the Swift) and weather? I am planning to do it from 2nd August to 21st August to take the advantage of 2 Holidays in that period.

I want to do entire loop, Shrinagar-Leh-Manali. What are must see places (doable in Swift) should I include?

How to book accommodation en-route? Since wife would be accompanying me I want to make sure on this, especially in the mountains.

Last edited by abhijitvp : 30th March 2012 at 14:13.
Old 30th March 2012, 14:51   #415
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 - May/June - Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
Hi,

Have you finalized the dates for this trip?

Cheers
Hi, this was posted last year. Me & SST did this trip last year itself in June. Here the link of my TL , hope this helps.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ali-delhi.html
Old 30th March 2012, 18:33   #416
BHPian

Has banning non HP vehicles reduced the traffic in Rohtang Pass?

And what is the best time with least traffic to cross rohtang pass from Keylong to Manali?
Old 30th March 2012, 19:21   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Has banning non HP vehicles reduced the traffic in Rohtang Pass?

And what is the best time with least traffic to cross rohtang pass from Keylong to Manali?
Are non hp vehicles banned from crossing rohatang pass? Is it for all vehicles? Or private vehicles are exempted?
Old 30th March 2012, 19:26   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil

Are non hp vehicles banned from crossing rohatang pass? Is it for all vehicles? Or private vehicles are exempted?
It's not completely banned but seems like a permit is required for all private and T-board non HP vehicles.
Old 30th March 2012, 22:25   #419
Senior - BHPian

Maybe this thread will give you some ideas for route planning & tips,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...adesh-138.html
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 22:53   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar
Maybe this thread will give you some ideas for route planning & tips,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...adesh-138.html
Thanks hvk. I'm already watching this thread very closely for past few weeks. I've gone through ur humbleh'd 1 and many other Leh travelogues too. And i'm also aware that you went to Leh via Kaza and returned via Chamba. Most of the people who have crossed Rohtang seem to have caught in the heavy traffic and so this question. Is midnight ideal time to cross Rohtang Pass if coming from Keylong side? I'm in my planning stage for my June trip.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed