Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 09:53   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post

If possible, i would recommend that you camp at Sarchu which has excellent camping ground, night views are amazing. If you are there on full mooon day, then you would just love camping in Sarchu.This will also help you to acclimitise better and allow to have a lazy drive to Leh next day enjoying amazing scenery enroute.
I have a different thought on this - despite the fact that drustogi is planning to come to Ladakh via Spiti Valley (and the 3500+ mtrs of Kaza), I would think staying at Jispa is a better idea because they can escape the rigours of camping at the 4000 mtrs+ Sarchu - low oxygen, searing cold winds, and so on. Camping at Sarchu is also not easy because of the extreme cold and the need to anchor the tents safely to combat the strong winds. Jispa is next to the River Bhaga (and the water sources).
Old 12th July 2011, 16:21   #317
drustogi

Is there any place to stay near tso kar lake or camping point.

Or going to leh from jispa would be better

Old 12th July 2011, 16:23   #318
drustogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar

If you leave Jispa early morning before 7 am, you can easily reach Leh before evening. Roads are in good condition currently.

Camping - please do not camp on river banks - they see sudden flooding and can be very dangerous. Try to camp near army camps of which there are many. Weather conditions can change dramatically, and nights can be extremely cold on this road.
Thanks actually we were planning camping near rivers.
Are there any camping place near tso kar.

Old 12th July 2011, 16:26   #319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drustogi View Post
Thanks actually we were planning camping near rivers.
Are there any camping place near tso kar.
Tso moriri and Tso kar are located near to each other, and you are covering tso moriri on your return leg, so no point in going to Tso kar.
You anyways need to spend a day in leh for permits
Old 12th July 2011, 16:28   #320
drustogi

I am also not sure about your acclimitisation plan. Jispa is at lower heights and you start climbing immediately after that to Barlacha La at 16.5K feet, climbing down to 13K feet at Sarchu, then peaking at 17K feet at Tanglang La all in one day. It is risky if you are not properly acclimitised and will be prone to ams[/quote]

We are planning to start having diamox after crossing kaza.

Old 16th July 2011, 11:10   #321

@zaks - I am also interested in going to Leh on a bike, but don't have any company. My schedule is flexible. Let me know if you are interested. My contact info is in my profile.
Old 18th July 2011, 14:11   #322
BHPian

Hi Guys. i am also planning a trip to leh somewhere aug end. can somebody help me with skid plates for santro. I have contacted autopysche but they don't have it. Can somebody suggest any place where they can fabricate it.

thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 16:40   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzD View Post
@zaks - I am also interested in going to Leh on a bike, but don't have any company. My schedule is flexible. Let me know if you are interested. My contact info is in my profile.
Guys, I am also planning out a trip to Leh. Currently, we are a group of 3 and looking for more people to join in.
We are planning to cover the distance in cars and not on bikes though. Let me know if you are interested in joining in.
Travel dates are end August/early September.
Old 22nd July 2011, 08:50   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless View Post
Guys, I am also planning out a trip to Leh. Currently, we are a group of 3 and looking for more people to join in.
We are planning to cover the distance in cars and not on bikes though. Let me know if you are interested in joining in.
Travel dates are end August/early September.
I am going alone from Aug 27 to Sep 4, if you are going around the same dates let me know - I would love to join at least the road trip part !
Old 23rd July 2011, 10:20   #325
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzD View Post
I have postponed my bike trip to next year since this is my first visit to Ladakh and don't want to take the risk of unknown terrain and weather. I am still going to Leh but by bus and will be doing the chandratal trek too.
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:54   #326
BHPian

Hi all,
Have charted out the attached map from google to travel from Ratangarh to Amritsar. Is this the purported mega-highway? and pls advise if any other route is advisable?

Kishangarh / Ratangarh - SardarShahar - Hanumangarh- Abohar - Fazilka - Kotkapura - Faridkot - Zira - Taran Taran - Amritsar.

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-ratangarh-amritsar.jpg

Last edited by nix1976in : 2nd August 2011 at 13:00.
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:37   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Hi all,
Have charted out the attached map from google to travel from Ratangarh to Amritsar. Is this the purported mega-highway? and pls advise if any other route is advisable?

Kishangarh / Ratangarh - SardarShahar - Hanumangarh- Abohar - Fazilka - Kotkapura - Faridkot - Zira - Taran Taran - Amritsar.
You go directly from Hanumangarh to Bhatinda, no need to go to Abohar.
There are some bad sections after Kishnagarh, and between Hanumangarh & the PB border.
Expect heavy traffic once you get int PB.
Ratangarh, Sardarshahr have good hotels.
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:16   #328
Senior - BHPian

One update, which folks who have recently (last one month) been to Leh (Via Manali) can confirm. I believe the authorities have stopped allowing people to go to Rohtang from Manali on Tuesday's.

Just wanted to know if this restriction is only for Tuesday or any other day has been added? Also any additional documentation required now?
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:25   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
One update, which folks who have recently (last one month) been to Leh (Via Manali) can confirm. I believe the authorities have stopped allowing people to go to Rohtang from Manali on Tuesday's.

Just wanted to know if this restriction is only for Tuesday or any other day has been added? Also any additional documentation required now?
Closing Rohtang on Tuesdays for maintenance work is a normal affair. Zoji la is closed on Mondays. For Rohtang, the permit requirement continues from Manali side.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:31   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Closing Rohtang on Tuesdays for maintenance work is a normal affair. Zoji la is closed on Mondays. For Rohtang, the permit requirement continues from Manali side.
Thanks HVK sir. Last year when we went we had done the Manali - Rohtang - Sarchu travel on Tuesday.

This year as well it was planned to be done on Tuesday but got the communication that they are not allowing any vehicles on Tuesday because of heavy rush. So had to change the plans. I guess last year it was slightly different. Because of flash floods in Leh the traffic was very less.

I guess it is better to avoid Tuesdays then.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed