Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2007, 12:12   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
- they hog the middle of the road & weave from left to right, most times they've probably got music blaring loudly so they can't hear you honk.
.....another reason why i'm against blaring ICE in cars. Too much distraction to a job which needs your 100% attention.

I'm not against music....i'm a musician.

I guess we're going off-topic now. Let's getback into the correct lane.

-- Torqy
Old 15th November 2007, 12:18   #122
Senior - BHPian

btw, I am new here and wondering why we call the side view mirrors as OVRMs or is it ORVMs..??? I tried to search with Google, and I coudnt find any other place it is being used for side view mirror than teambhp forums..
Can someone educate me please...
(In TATA Indica's website, it says it is Outside Rear View Mirror (ORVM)...!!!! These mirrors really don't show the REARs rather they show the sides I guess...)
Old 15th November 2007, 12:28   #123
BANNED

Its Out-sideRear-View-Mirror (ORVM).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Outside Rear View Mirror (ORVM)...!!!! These mirrors really don't show the REARs rather they show the sides I guess...)
Old 15th November 2007, 12:36   #124
BHPian

It's Outside-Rear-View-Mirror.
Rear View Mirror that sits Outside....unlike the one inside.
Old 16th November 2007, 18:41   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
btw, I am new here and wondering why we call the side view mirrors as OVRMs or is it ORVMs..??? I tried to search with Google, and I coudnt find any other place it is being used for side view mirror than teambhp forums..

These mirrors really don't show the REARs rather they show the sides I guess...)[/i]
IMO, your side mirrors should show what is behind your car. If it is focused to show the sides or your car itself, then it has to be changed.
Old 16th November 2007, 20:41   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
IMO, your side mirrors should show what is behind your car. If it is focused to show the sides or your car itself, then it has to be changed.
In fact, the ORVMS '"SHOULD" show a little bit of the sides too.
Otherwise you would not be able to place the objects in the mirror with reference to the car.

-- Torqy
Old 10th December 2007, 19:00   #127
BHPian

I feel it is the false sense of safety and superiority (at least the big size) that the SUVs give that tempt the drivers to go rashly. They have the attitude that I wont loose anything even if I hit some other small car. The fear (respect) only the Volvo buses and trucks.

cheers
Arun
Old 10th December 2007, 20:44   #128
Senior - BHPian

Possibly the rugged look which gives a feeling of safety while the driver take his position!!! Safari too seems to wear such look, but not driven so rash as compared to this Scorpio... Right?
Old 11th December 2007, 10:26   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
That is a wrong assumption mate.. Side view mirrors are for viewing 'sides'. That means to see vehicles coming on 'adjascent lanes'.

But, You are right, I have seen in India most of the car drivers (who are using them) have trained them to show half of their cars's rear ends, to get to see what is coming behind their car. You can see whats behind only up to some distance and in that process, you fail to see whats coming on the sides.

People use side view mirrors to see behind because,
1. Mostly the rear windscreen has dark film, it is difficult to see through quickly.
2. Dump on the rear side deck with stuffed toys, the day's shopping bags, ladies make-up kitss, even Helmets etc., so your RVM is useless.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 11th December 2007 at 10:28.
Old 11th December 2007, 13:19   #130
BHPian

Just read through the thread, and it is really surprising that so many people find Scorpios driven rashly.

I drive around quite a bit, in the city, as well as the highways down south. I have seen Scorpios driven fast, but not really rashly driven. Maybe one or two, but not more than any other car. From experience in Bangalore, the only class of vehicles(drivers rather?) which are rashly driven are some of the call center vehicles, and they run mostly Indica, Sumo, Qualis etc. Maybe more irritating than that are the bikers who cut across expecting the car behind to brake for him/her.

From my experience, it is not really the brand or class of vehicle which is dangerous. It is really the drivers with very large egos, and very little driving skills, who just cannot digest people overtaking them. Sometimes they are good drivers, but then they buy great cars with very little power(but with good mileage, brand and environment friendly), and they still dont like being overtaken. And such drivers are probably a large percentage among the builder/politician type, but maybe, I have a nagging doubt that some of the videos from old drives have captured similar incidents between members who don't drive Scorpios.

And for many, anything which goes faster than them is being rashly driven. How do I know? Most of the time, I drive faster than the traffic around, I keep watching a lot of egos going bust, then the BP rising, then then they try to follow... Sigh!

And for the record, I really hate the Scorpio, and if I ever buy one, that would be because it has full plastic cladding on the sides. And that does reduce my tension while driving in the City quite a bit. You see, I don't have to worry too much about idiotic bikers scratching the body work while trying to squeeze through. And armed with the side cladding, maybe I will be tempted to push a few of the road as well.
Old 11th December 2007, 15:03   #131
Team-BHP Support

Tadu, i would be on the lookout for an Elantra with side claddings who pushed me off the road while i was on my bike.
Old 11th December 2007, 15:36   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Tadu, i would be on the lookout for an Elantra with side claddings who pushed me off the road while i was on my bike.
Me too.
@Tadukuttan.....remember the black RX you pushed off the road?

Old 11th December 2007, 16:15   #133
Senior - BHPian

Tadu, if you come to the whitefield side, look out for a blue Bullet, I don't take kindly to guys pushing me off..
Old 11th December 2007, 18:27   #134
BHPian

I guess we see a lot of Scorpios being driven rashly in Bangalore is due to the sate of the roads, the soft suspension setup and larger ground clearance of the Scorpio, you would not dare to drive a car at over 30 on most main roads and even slower on side roads, going faster will probably ensure that you leave parts of your car behind.
I was once witness to a white Scorpio taking a muddy road just after the rains like he was in a rally, spraying everyone and every thing in sight with muddy water and laughing at the wheel. Got sprayed myself.
Old 12th December 2007, 03:24   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Many a time these are driven by some crazy driver, with the owner sitting beside him in the passenger seat. They have their windows rolled down, and give menacing looks to the rest of the populace.

How they drive has already been mentioned by the others. When i see a madly driven Scorp breathing down my back, i give way. Such is the brute force it exudes, or rather has come to exude.
A contrary point of view from me. A scorpio cab driver once confessed to me that he was scared of even autos on the road, since the scorpio body work (not covered by cladding) was particularly delicate and costed quite a lot to dent and paint, so it was he who was more scared of his 'big' car
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks