Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2016, 06:34   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Not a query pointed at anyone in particular but is it not easier, much cheaper and overall better to improve reach to the ground by shaving off some foam from the seat as Nasirkaka did; rather than lowering the bike and altering the overall dynamics and other factors like ground clearance?
Kaka shaved off about three quarters of an inch. That's not nearly enough. Anymore and you will be seeing a plate. I will however do this first along with kaka one of these days first.

On the contrary, when you use this specific lowering kit, you lower both the rear and the front suspension. What this means is a lower center of gravity and a better turn in into corners. Yes, ground clearance us affected by an inch and a half, but it's well worth the trouble. This bike is way too heavy to be pottering about on toes.

Reviews on this specific kit give great feedback from short riders. The guy who has designed it and sells it is a very well known and respected inmate on advrider.com (speedy), so there's some trust in the fact that he knows what he's doing.

This kit brings you down from 840 mm to 800. That's how high the himalayan is.
Old 4th July 2016, 09:45   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

I got a few things fixed up over the weekend namely :

1. Roots Windtone Horn
2. LED Lights
3. Front Fender Extender

Horn was one area I was really unhappy as people would not give way at all and in India conditions as you know it's sometimes a better weapon than your brakes. A few weeks ago I had bought a couple of pairs of horn (One for my car) and these were chosen after reviewing 4-5 different brands (Hella, Roots, Rockford, Minda etc.). As you know the Roots Windtone is a very popular model and has a loud yet pleasant output. Only one horn was fixed so as not to add too much load on the battery. It's pretty loud and happy with how the horn sounds now

LED lights were procured from a contact that I know from a long time and it's throw and visibility is quite impressive. These will be used mostly for emergency as I plan to get a good bulbs for the headlamps. Right now the LED's are fixed only for "High-Beam" and "Passing Light" which is good enough

Front Fender Extender was one of the necessity as the bike use to pull in lot of muck and throw it on the engine guard/radiator and within a short span that entire area would look like it's been dipped in mud

I wasn't in town but still got my friendly Triumph technician to come over the weekend and fix these things on the bike (They do this as after job to make additional money--good to for people like me who get door step service). I had left the key with watchman and necessary items and technician did a good job of fixing everything. I checked the bike when I got back late last night and was happy with overall fitment

However, I might have to unplug the LED's to fix the number plate

Now point me towards a highway baby
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-7.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-6.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-8.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-3.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-9.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-11.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-12.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-5.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-13.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 14:20   #213
Senior - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

1. Roots Windtone Horn

Horn was one area I was really unhappy as people would not give way at all and in India conditions as you know it's sometimes a better weapon than your brakes.
Just a piece of advice, please move the horn to a higher level. The present position is prone to water entry and this will kill it instantly even though I see it facing sideways. And if something is shorted in the electricals, the outcome will be terrible.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 16:31   #214
Senior - BHPian

Your versys looks like Shifu

Name:  ShifuLoA.png
Views: 2706
Size:  239.0 KB

Have you considered HIDs? I have them installed in Ninja 300, and the pathetic stock headlights are now much better. I used them for night touring and was very satisfied with the throw.
ani_meher is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 18:41   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

HIDS will probably void the standard warranty... A risk nobody wants to take
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 19:06   #216
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes, didn't consider the warranty part! Anyways in case of such DC bikes, HIDs is a plug and play device. So at least post warranty, it is a much recommended upgrade (from my experience).
Old 5th July 2016, 08:26   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Your versys looks like Shifu

Panda riding on Shifu...Cute eh?

Actually I'm contemplating moving the position of the LEDs from that position to a lower position. I have a gut feeling the brackets might not last too long considering the size and weight of the LED's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Have you considered HIDs? I have them installed in Ninja 300, and the pathetic stock headlights are now much better. I used them for night touring and was very satisfied with the throw.

Ramana is right. Kawasaki is the FORD of motorcycles and you need to be awfully careful of what and how you do. I agree on stock lights being pathetic but, a better branded bulb with same wattage from Osram/Phillips Extreme Vision can still improve them considerably

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Just a piece of advice, please move the horn to a higher level. The present position is prone to water entry and this will kill it instantly even though I see it facing sideways. And if something is shorted in the electricals, the outcome will be terrible.
Good Advice. I never thought of it along those lines. But, we don't get crazy rains like Bombay but, point well taken

I did a small test ride within our colony in the dark to test the throw and visibility of lights in pitch dark conditions. I think the results are quite satisfactory

Dark ; Bike is switched off

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-dark.jpg

Stock lights of Bike in Low Beam

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-low-beam.jpg

LED's switched ON

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-high-beam-1.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-high-beam-2.jpg

Radiator Guard Fitted

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-rg.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 10:09   #218
CGB
BHPian

Mobike, Can you share the detail of the wiring and switches? Did ypu tamper any wiring? Also i can suggest you to mount the lights under the headlamps over the forks, Similar to what's in Versys 1000.
Old 5th July 2016, 12:12   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Mobike, Can you share the detail of the wiring and switches? Did ypu tamper any wiring? Also i can suggest you to mount the lights under the headlamps over the forks, Similar to what's in Versys 1000
CGB : There has been absolutely no tampering to any wirings and no switch installed. I specifically told the installer to connect the LED's to high beam of stock switch and also for acting as a passing light

So now whenever I switch on high-beam the LED's get turned on and they also come up when I use the pass switch and this is really helpful as it alerts the opposite person when I'm overtaking or giving the indication that I will be passing first due to the thunder like lights on and off when you use the pass switch

Overall happy with the current set-up

With regards to mounting it lower, I'm working on it. Since I don't have a crash guard installed there is no point for the LEDs to be mounted but, the Kawasaki person is making a bracket for another Versys owner and he will be making one for me as well. When it's installed on other Versys, I will review that and if satisfactory will be doing the same
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 22:54   #220
Senior - BHPian

Seems like those beams really work. The difference is night and day (please excuse the pun)

I agree with the suggestion of mounting these lower like the 1000. Will look good and also do a slightly better job of not blinding the one coming in the opposite direction. Ditto for the suggestion on relocating the horn

Quote:
the Kawasaki person is making a bracket for another Versys owner and he will be making one for me as well. When it's installed on other Versys, I will review that and if satisfactory will be doing the same
You sure are keeping these Kawasaki boys busy

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 00:35   #221
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The fender extender and the radiator guard are much needed accessories. Good you fitted them. Protects the radiator and the bend pipes. With regards to the LED lights placement and functioning :

1. The placement, I feel, is too high and can blind oncoming traffic. Especially the ones that are within a few metres away. Also I don't think k you should mount them on the number plates. Have heard of a lot if cases of the auxiliary lights falling off because the brackets handle the additional weight.
2. The functioning. On dark roads, the Low beam is not bright enough and you would need to use only the high beam. However with the additional LEDs, this is again going to blind oncoming motorists.
3. I would suggest to mount the lights in place of the frame sliders if you don't plan on installing them and have a separate switch for it. I know having a separate switch would look ugly - but do check out Aliexpress - they have some good OE looking switches.
4. Another suggestion - how about moving the registration plate onto the front mudguard or on the windshield (sticker). Have the number plate brackets support the LED lights. Get the lights lowered more towards the road and it should be good.

Looking forward to the next set of upgrades and happy to see you riding it regularly
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 10:04   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
With regards to the LED lights placement and functioning :

1. The placement, I feel, is too high and can blind oncoming traffic. Especially the ones that are within a few metres away. Also I don't think k you should mount them on the number plates. Have heard of a lot if cases of the auxiliary lights falling off because the brackets handle the additional weight.
Well, as mentioned the lights were fixed when I was not in town. I spoke to installer on phone he came twice home to check where he can fix it and first trip took the number plate with him to make the bracket

What you say is right and I concur about the bracket breaking due to weight. I too suspect it might happen sooner than never.

Therefore, I got the Kawasaki guys to make a special bracket that fits near the frame slider so will be moving "down" in near future

Quote:
2. The functioning. On dark roads, the Low beam is not bright enough and you would need to use only the high beam. However with the additional LEDs, this is again going to blind oncoming motorists.
If you recall, I rode for 300kms in pitch dark conditions on 2-lane roads from 7pm to 12:00am during my Mahabaleshwar ride. It was stressful to say the least as I could barely see anything but, once the eyes got used to the night, I was keeping a steady 100kmph and even did much higher speed bursts on better lit stretches

I generally try to avoid riding at night and plan to reach my destination latest by 9:00pm at the maximum. Hence, these LED's are only for emergency (sometimes your plans go awry and you need to ride at night)

But, I do plan to use the lights judiciously so as not to blind oncoming traffic

Quote:
3. I would suggest to mount the lights in place of the frame sliders if you don't plan on installing them and have a separate switch for it. I know having a separate switch would look ugly - but do check out Aliexpress - they have some good OE looking switches.
No plan to get a new switch as I'm happy with current set-up. Can you share the link that you are referring to? I might just order one if it looks good

Quote:
4. Another suggestion - how about moving the registration plate onto the front mudguard or on the windshield (sticker). Have the number plate brackets support the LED lights. Get the lights lowered more towards the road and it should be good.
Thanks Allen. Will ponder over these suggestions

Quote:
Looking forward to the next set of upgrades and happy to see you riding it regularly
Well, I'm changing the windscreen shortly. Getting the "mighty" PUIG windscreen (stock just arrived from SPAIN) which will change the complete dynamics of the bike during high speed riding with regards to how the wind behaves

And yeah, you will see updates regularly on this thread so please do subscribe to it
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 11:46   #223
BHPian

Quote:

3. Front Fender Extender

From where did you source Fender Extender? It is Pyramid make, I presume.

Quote:

Well, I'm changing the windscreen shortly. Getting the "mighty" PUIG windscreen (stock just arrived from SPAIN) which will change the complete dynamics of the bike during high speed riding with regards to how the wind behaves

And yeah, you will see updates regularly on this thread so please do subscribe to it
I've too ordered for PUIG windscreen for Z800. Just anxious, is it safe at high speeds, because as per Kawasaki manual incorrectly installed components can seriously alter the riding composure?

Last edited by Vasuki : 6th July 2016 at 11:53.
Old 6th July 2016, 12:09   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Therefore, I got the Kawasaki guys to make a special bracket that fits near the frame slider so will be moving "down" in near future
Apart from the blinding and breaking part, it is always advisable to keep any auxiliary lights below the headlight level since it is illegal to have such lights above the headlights as per some RTO rules.

You can check if your indicator mounting has strong under pinnings, then the lights can be mounted using that and would look good and more discrete there.

Also the horn, you need to atleast turn them so that the opening is not coming into direct draft of water from the wheels or from nature.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 12:51   #225
Senior - BHPian

I had custom built L brackets angled with additional support attached to the indicator bolts. Its a DIY and i actually used a ruler and measurement to get the final result. I basically made the aux sit below the indicator and had a cut off switch via relay to manage power to the lights.

@jaggu
Will swapping the position of the indicators with the lights on the number plate became a problem. This way both can sit much more comfortably and still have the desired effect including indicators clearly visible to the on coming traffic.? I am not sure if its legal but if it is, i may try to swap these positions and avoid any additional bracket.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks