Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2011, 00:30   #2656
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Guys need quick help
Last oil change was 9K kms ago and it was not refilled after that.
Today after a 500 km road trip I noticed oil is at low level mark,is it normal for engine to lose some oil?
To be on the safer side I picked up 1L of MAK premium engine oil 15w40 as nothing else was available and added 500 ml and level was normal
Is it fine if I run it with this oil for next 1K s as service is due at 25K mark.
Hi Akshay,

Kindly check the engine oil level at cold condition i.e. before starting the engine after a long stop. This is to ensure that oil gets settled down in the crank case completely. take the measurement.
As Tini said some amount of oil will get dissipated due to heat through the breather pipe.
twistwrist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 16:40   #2657
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Spike, need you to take a look here on the other thread:
Quote:
Setting it right didn't work out
So the outer casing of the gear box had to be opened, and this is what we found.
Sorry for the bad pic as i took it with phone in dark.
The tiny metal bit are parts of ball bearing that broke,thankfully I got it opened on time and further damage didn't happen.
Quote:
Thankfully those metal bits didn't circulate through the gearbox else it could have been a disaster.
The bearing that broke is the last part in the gearbox,and the synchro ring also needs replacement-
Is this the 5th driven gear needle bearing inside the rear housing? What would be the consequences - would there be metal particles scattered into the housing? Should the whole gearbox be disassembled and washed out to remove fragments which might be likely to cause future damage?
Old 14th December 2011, 12:39   #2658
Senior - BHPian

It is quite normal for engines to loose some oil over a period of time. How many kms on the odo of your Scorpio?

My Scorpio has done 1.5L Kms and I do an oil change at 8K Kms. The level filled during the oil change remains the same when drained.

Quote:

Guys need quick help

Last oil change was 9K kms ago and it was not refilled after that.
Today after a 500 km road trip I noticed oil is at low level mark,is it normal for engine to lose some oil?

To be on the safer side I picked up 1L of MAK premium engine oil 15w40 as nothing else was available and added 500 ml and level was normal
Is it fine if I run it with this oil for next 1K s as service is due at 25K mark.
Old 14th December 2011, 12:47   #2659
Senior - BHPian

Rodent menace & permanent solution..

As the title suggests, a lot of members here have suffered this at some point of time. I had a nasty ordeal in 2008 and you can read all about it here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-gurgaon.html.

Various cures & solutions have been posted here over so many years but nothing has been permanent. Very recently a friend Devdath from B'lore had a rodent attack. This south-indian rodent proved to be a very enterprising critter. Loved the rat poison and digested it after ingesting. To cut the story short, Dev decided to do something about it and after some research found out that the only way a rodent could enter the cabin was through the fresh air inlet. Now, there are four fresh air inlets located outside just beneath the wipers and covered by a plastic/fiber mesh, that incidentally is open at both ends. These inlets are the only source of entry inside the cabin and through the left-right opening on the fiber grill, any small creature be it a snake or a rodent can enter inside the cabin.

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-13122011028.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-13122011029.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-13122011030.jpg

Dev decided to close those 4 inlets with a hard fine wire mesh that would prevent any unwanted entry but allow fresh air. He got this done on Monday the 12th at the shop of my accessories dealer. Manoj, the chief troublemaker, did a perfect job. I too was there with Dev while the work was going on and made a mental note to get the same done on The Bull.

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-13122011032.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-13122011033.jpg

The Bull's dash was removed in 2008 to remove the dead critter and while over a period of time most of the damages done slowly rectified, the issue with the aircon system persisted. The dash was opened once again in early 2010 to replace the radiator seal that was weakened by the rodent attack and finally started leaking coolant.

This winter I encountered another issue and when I switched on the heater, instead of the hot air from the front vents normal cool air blew, while the middle row vents were spewing hot air. After a thorough check-up, Manoj in consultation with the AC guy pronounced that there was a problem with the air distributuon system and that dash had to be removed once again.

Since Tuesday happened to be weekly off for the business establishments here in South Delhi, I specially requested Manoj & the AC guy to come on 13th and do the job. So, yesterday The Bull was left with Manoj at 1 pm and I told him that since the dash was being opened, the AC too needs to be serviced. I also told him to cover the air inlet with the wire mesh the same way it was done on Dev's car.

The louvres of the air con blower were jammed as the critter had nibbled at them. There was a thick layer of dust on the cooling coil. I finally got the vehicle back at 8 pm with all the work done.

I paid Rs.2600/- in total. Thank you Manoj for a job well executed.
gd1418 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 13:43   #2660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Rodent menace & permanent solution..

As the title suggests, a lot of members here have suffered this at some point of time.
An excellent idea and seems very well executed. Thankfully we in Navi Mumbai do not have that much a menace in terms of rodents but still is a good idea to have these inlets closed.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 14:02   #2661
BHPian

members,

I had the oil guage glow repeatedly ( with half voice prompts ) during my drive in the very rough ( there is no road ) shiradi ghats earlier this week. These prompts were very prominent whenever the car rocked / swayed or braked to take on the rough patch. The issue disappeared as soon as smooth roads came on.

Is it a misbehaving sensor or any other issue related to the oil ? Oil ( 6 litres ) was changed recently and there are no leakages.
Old 19th December 2011, 15:19   #2662
Senior - BHPian

I am truly at my wits end in trying to make my 2 month old scorpio rattle a bit less- note I use the word "less" and not say remove the rattles since i know that is an exercise in futility.

I had a door rattle from day one which was rectified by the dealer, bit even the sligthes imperfection on the road makes the seats rattle like an old man's dentures on a cold delhi evening!

The workshop says" sir yeh to standard hai.....koi fix nahin hai"! why cant M&M give a rattle free car even after you spend a million buck on it!

any suggestions on reducing the infernal rattles?
Old 19th December 2011, 15:29   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Is it a misbehaving sensor or any other issue related to the oil ? Oil ( 6 litres ) was changed recently and there are no leakages.
From what you have written, it seems like a misbehaving sensor. Have you checked the oil level in cold condition? Has it gone down since the oil change?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 19th December 2011, 15:32   #2664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
M&M workshops are hopeless as far as reducing body noise goes. You should consult an independent garage, preferably one which does denting/painting work. Those guys are familiar with the pain points that lead to rattles in most vehicles.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 20th December 2011, 07:21   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
I am truly at my wits end in trying to make my 2 month old scorpio rattle a bit less- note I use the word "less" and not say remove the rattles since i know that is an exercise in futility.

I had a door rattle from day one which was rectified by the dealer, bit even the sligthes imperfection on the road makes the seats rattle like an old man's dentures on a cold delhi evening!

The workshop says" sir yeh to standard hai.....koi fix nahin hai"! why cant M&M give a rattle free car even after you spend a million buck on it!

Vibrations inside Scorpio? Yes, you can't get away with it. But rattles? No. My near 4 year old VLX doesn't give any rattle till date - touchwood.

Often what I heard as rattle seem to be proven as petty items carried inside the cabin. When I say proven, it's not by M&M folks but by me myself. One simple test that I do is to remove all items from cabin as if I'm giving it for service and drive on the same patch and in same manner where I heard the rattle. If not satisfied by the absence of noise, which most of the time it is, I further drive on a few different rough stretches to double check.

Emptying the cabin includes under seat stowed items such as spanners, rods, etc apart from the usual door pockets, cubbyholes and glove box.

Hope you'll find the culprit as something else and not your new Scorpio! Cheers!!

Edit: before people jump on me, here's my view of vibrations VS rattles
Vibrations = things shake (due to any factor but primarily due to engine), but without noise
Rattles = noise produced due to vibration

Peace!

Last edited by GunMo : 20th December 2011 at 07:28.
Old 20th December 2011, 10:58   #2666
Senior - BHPian

@Gunmo, i identify with your analysis of vibration vs rattles, since I had the same thought process while investigating the rattles.

There are a couple of sounds that I have attributed to the spanner and toolkit, so thats solvable.

the major rattles are on account of the seat back and there is an occassional one coming from the rear door as well. Need to figure out some way of making the seat backs shake a little less.

As regards vibrations, there is some vibration that comes from teh instrument console and a pillar between 1500 to 200 rpm in each gear, but that i ssomething i can live with. I have already gotten used to the gear lever vibrations and look at it as a massager for my left arm
Old 20th December 2011, 19:43   #2667
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with GunMo;

My scorpio VLX is silent after 49K kilometers. However, I do feel some vibrations from gear lever, engine under heavy acceleration etc..
Old 21st December 2011, 17:17   #2668
BHPian

Hi,
My Scorpio CRDe has a broken leaf on the rear right(I think 3rd one from the top). The ASC spotted this during recent service and said I can continue using this way till I get the suspension work done.

I want to get the leaf replaced as there is no need of suspension work in the near future. My questions are,

Can I replace only one leaf from the set?
Will ASC do this?
What are the disadvantages of replacing only one leaf?
Is it necessary to recamber the whole set if I replace a single leaf?

Ride wise(and height wise), I did not notice any change because of the broken leaf. No issues. As my Scorpio is nearing 90K, I asked them to check everything and they have noticed this broken leaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I agree with GunMo;

My scorpio VLX is silent after 49K kilometers. However, I do feel some vibrations from gear lever, engine under heavy acceleration etc..
I had my Scorpio gear lever vibrating heavily, almost 3 inches end to end. Changing the engine mounts solved this and the vibration came down to almost nil. This was when the vehicle was around 3 yrs old with 60k on the odo.
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:27   #2669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Hi,
My Scorpio CRDe has a broken leaf on the rear right(I think 3rd one from the top).
Hi Vinay,
You should get the broken leaf replaced ASAP so that there is no additional strain on the rest resulting in a damage to them. Though this depends on the point of breakage. If it towards the distal end - not too much of an issue. In the middle - can put strain on the rest.
Yes, you can get the single leaf replaced. However as a precaution when you are getting it done have them to re-camber the springs of both sides so that you don't have a list as such on any side.
Worth re-cambering as it is not very expensive (relatively) and helps the drive dynamics besides matching the new spring into the existing ones. All the old/worn spacers etc also get replaced which helps quite a bit.

Well, had a similar situation on my good ol' Scorp CRDe almost 4 years ago and so can speak with some confidence here !

Last edited by Guderian : 22nd December 2011 at 11:32.
Old 23rd December 2011, 17:18   #2670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Vinay,
You should get the broken leaf replaced ASAP so that there is no additional strain on the rest resulting in a damage to them. Though this depends on the point of breakage. If it towards the distal end - not too much of an issue. In the middle - can put strain on the rest.
Yes, you can get the single leaf replaced. However as a precaution when you are getting it done have them to re-camber the springs of both sides so that you don't have a list as such on any side.
Worth re-cambering as it is not very expensive (relatively) and helps the drive dynamics besides matching the new spring into the existing ones. All the old/worn spacers etc also get replaced which helps quite a bit.

Well, had a similar situation on my good ol' Scorp CRDe almost 4 years ago and so can speak with some confidence here !
Thanks Guderian, I will have it replaced as soon as possible. The break is nearer to the centre. I think I am living with this broken leaf for years, just that it is noticed now. The rear right of the vehicle is lower than the left, the difference is too small and not normally noticeable. I noticed this change in the initial days after buying this used scorp, but did not expect anything wrong as the difference is very small. ASC now said this is the reason.

ASC here have fired the leaf springs guy/consultant(may be they do not need them now). I will now have to find someone outside and get this done.
asdfvinay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks