Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:17   #4156
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
These days the ABS light likes to come on at times!
And doesn't it throw up a code on scanning with the Mahindra scanning software?

Did you check for a loose ABS sensor on the rear differential?
Old 7th December 2015, 16:18   #4157
BHPian

Guys, I came across a strange issue in my 2014 LX 4wd. When I turn the engine off, there is a humming sound for about 3 seconds. It happens regardless of short or long drive. It sounds almost like a 50Hz electrical hum, maybe a little higher pitched. The car was just serviced about 2 weeks ago (17000 odd km run). Is it anything serious?
Old 7th December 2015, 16:50   #4158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Guys, I came across a strange issue in my 2014 LX 4wd. When I turn the engine off, there is a humming sound for about 3 seconds. It happens regardless of short or long drive. It sounds almost like a 50Hz electrical hum, maybe a little higher pitched. The car was just serviced about 2 weeks ago (17000 odd km run). Is it anything serious?
I have noticed this on ours as well.
And this comes even when battery is disconnected
Old 7th December 2015, 17:23   #4159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
When I turn the engine off, there is a humming sound for about 3 seconds.
Is it anything serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I have noticed this on ours as well.
There are 2 vacuum modulators - the turbo modulator and the EGR modulator - to the right side of the car. The noise is likely to be from one of these. Needs replacment. Check this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3513489
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 17:51   #4160

Mod note: Back to back posts, Post merged. Please use EDIT once the post is Approved. Thanks.

In my case it was the Vaccum Modulator. 2014 LX 4wd and I too faced the same issue around 20K, looks like a part quality issue. The SA said that the vehicle can be driven with any impact to engine and performance so had it fixed during the regular service schedule a month later. No charge as the truck was still in warranty.

Read without any impact to engine or performance. The buzzing did scare me bit though.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th December 2015 at 18:01. Reason: Back to back posts, please use EDIT once the post is Approved. Thanks.
Nikhil_Kapil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 13:52   #4161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
There are 2 vacuum modulators - the turbo modulator and the EGR modulator - to the right side of the car. The noise is likely to be from one of these. Needs replacment. Check this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3513489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil_Kapil View Post
In my case it was the Vaccum Modulator. 2014 LX 4wd and I too faced the same issue around 20K, looks like a part quality issue. The SA said that the vehicle can be driven with any impact to engine and performance so had it fixed during the regular service schedule a month later. No charge as the truck was still in warranty.

Read without any impact to engine or performance. The buzzing did scare me bit though.
Thanks for the useful info. Nice to know it's not something unique to my car but also scary that a part can fail like this after just 18k km! Good to know it's not critical but will get it seen to all the same. Since the service was just completed I'll have to take it in just for this issue.
Old 8th December 2015, 19:55   #4162
BHPian

Had the EGR Vacuum modulator replaced just couple of months back. Again it broke down after a long drive. Took to Chrome motors, Bengaluru today and replacement was done in just 20 mins under warranty. Extremely happy customer with Abhilash as service advisor and Mr. Achar as prime mechanic. Staff was kind enough to explain in detail about both EGR and Turbo modulators.
Old 9th December 2015, 17:04   #4163
BHPian

Okay the self-healing of this problem hasnt happened as yet
My Non-CRDE 2004 Scorpio has been having a problem after it came back from Service at Koncept. It does not have an ECU or any sensors.

The problem is that one out of ten times when I turn off the engine and take out the key the engine will keep running. Engine keeps running with a faint rpm and will take 10-15 seconds to die. In this 10-15 seconds if I put in the key and turn ignition on, then the rpm raises back to the normal idling rpm. If the ignition is turned off and key is taken out the rpm goes down and it takes 10-20 secs to die.

I have been told by the service adviser that it is probably because of a problem in the solenoid switch in the fuel pump and bosch diesel service center will be able to fix this.
Has anybody faced this problem and any idea about a fix for this ?

Styler
Old 9th December 2015, 19:58   #4164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Engine keeps running with a faint rpm and will take 10-15 seconds to die. In this 10-15 seconds if I put in the key and turn ignition on, then the rpm raises back to the normal idling rpm. If the ignition is turned off and key is taken out the rpm goes down and it takes 10-20 secs to die.

I have been told by the service adviser that it is probably because of a problem in the solenoid switch in the fuel pump and bosch diesel service center will be able to fix this.
Common issue - the fuel shut-off solenoid is leaking fuel into the system, allowing the engine to turn over on a low supply of fuel, until it ultimately starves and stalls.

Not a major issue to fix by a diesel service centre (both Bosch and Lucas will do it for you).
Old 10th December 2015, 11:14   #4165
BHPian

When I accelerate from a dead stop, during the first 3-5 seconds, I hear a deep grinding/rubbing noise coming from the front right end (I can actually sense it on the A pedal). It stops as I accelerate, or maybe I just can't hear it over the engine noise.

It also happens when I decelerate and have almost reached a complete stop. The only way to describe the noise is it's like maybe a joint or bearing or something is rubbing and needs to be greased... Anyone have any ideas? I checked all of the fliuds but everything is fine.

I've had the FNG guy do the through tests, but he couldn't find out the reason and say they didnt hear anything.

I suspected the issue could be with the clutch plates which were changed about 1k kms ago, the springs were shaking on the new clutch plate so had them replace with the new one, but the sound is still there.

Any help/leads would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 2500cc : 10th December 2015 at 11:16.
Old 13th December 2015, 11:57   #4166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Common issue - the fuel shut-off solenoid is leaking fuel into the system, allowing the engine to turn over on a low supply of fuel, until it ultimately starves and stalls.

Not a major issue to fix by a diesel service centre (both Bosch and Lucas will do it for you).
Thanks SS Sir.
First I took my Scorpio to my neighborhood mechanics to see if they can open and clean the Solenoid Switch. They opened the cover over the Fuel Pump but the Solenoid switch was really at a very inaccessible place and could not open it.

Next I went to Authorized Bosh Diesel Service Center - GuruNanak Diesel, Gurgaon. There also 2-3 mechanics tried to access the solenoid switch but were unable to open it.

My mechanics told me that normally in other diesel vehicles like TATA, Pajero etc the solenoid switch is easily accessible and removable but somehow in this Non-CRDE Scorpio it is at a very inaccessible place at the back.

The Bosch Service Center guys told me the fuel pump will have to be taken out to access the Solenoid Switch and if we take it out then Injector cleaning and Fuel Pump Service is recommended.
Since removing the Fuel Pump and Injectors is a risky process and I have been told that once removed, getting the right calibration is difficult, I am in two minds whether to get it removed or to let it continue as it is.

The engine runs smooth and has no other problem, and even the engine not dying on turning off is a random occasional problem. I will see for a few more days if it aggravates or maybe it self-heals.

In the meantime do you have any other suggestions ?
Old 13th December 2015, 12:58   #4167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
...removing the Fuel Pump and Injectors is a risky process and I have been told that once removed, getting the right calibration is difficult, I am in two minds whether to get it removed or to let it continue as it is.
Properly equipped and trained personnel can calibrate the pump and injectors to original settings, so removing the pump and injectors is not a worrisome issue.

Call these people and see what they have to say:
American Automobile Diesel Services
1680-83 S.P. Mukherji Marg New Delhi-110006
Telephone (+91)-11-23977619, 23975769, 23956185
Mobile +(91)-9810864902, 9811020042

You could first try a diesel additive like System-D and see if that helps.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 13th December 2015 at 13:01.
Old 13th December 2015, 21:05   #4168
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Hope this clarifies the issue to some degree.
Hello anupmathur!
That was spot-on! An extra-ordinary, enlightening post on the subject and it brings me to the nub of my post - I wonder if you are the same Anup Mathur who was a year senior to me at DMET Kolkata. I'm a marine engineer by the way, and your above post lands very close to the bone (where marine engineers are concerned!) and is thus the reason for my query. And even if I'm mistaken in placing you, no harm done! It was refreshing to come across a piece which highlights one of the core differences between the common-rail & Bosch type diesels.
Old 13th December 2015, 22:36   #4169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello anupmathur!
That was spot-on! ....
Hello, Shashank! Thank you, but I have no idea what you are referring to. Which old post is this from?
And... I am not the one from DMET Calcutta. Yes, I am from that era when it was Calcutta. I finished from IITD and did one year at Mazagon Dock Ltd. before joining sea service in 1976.
Old 14th December 2015, 08:47   #4170
BANNED

Hello Anup,
This refers to an old post dated 25/10/'09, #695 on the thread 'Mahindra Scorpio:Issues & Solutions'. I was at DMET from '69 to'73 & joined sea in '73 Nov if I recall correctly. I was at IIT,Kh. with Naval. Arch. earlier & later, together with a few other chaps, left to join DMET, Calcutta.

Well, DMET or not, it was nice to come to nodding acquaintance with another mariner!
Cheers and take care,
Shashanka

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks