Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2015, 10:48   #4141
BHPian

I think there is a relay which gets affected . I had a similar problem in my old 2004 Indigo.
Later the mechanic told me that even Scorpios have this relay.
It affects only starting.
Old 15th November 2015, 17:56   #4142
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Update - After some pumping the Scorpio did start.
I am back in Delhi now.
I will see if the problem reoccurs tomorrow morning. I will get my mechanics to check here if it reoccurs.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 11:01   #4143
BHPian

Update - The day after I got back from Rishikesh I had given my Scorpio for Service to the Mahindra Service Center Koncept at Mathura Road, New Delhi. The last time it went to a Mahindra Service Center, it was more than 2 years ago.
I bought my scorpio from Bhasin Motors, New Delhi and always got it serviced there. Suddenly when I reached their workshop I was told they have closed operations from 31st Oct 2015. I had no choice but to go to Koncept motors further down the road on Mathura road. There was a service advisor at Bhasin who has joined Koncept. I was skeptical as my Scorpio is 12 yrs old and Koncept Motors came into being only about 5-7 years ago. How could they have spares of older vehicles but I was told they will source the parts required.
I give my Scorpio for Service to the Authorized Service Center once in every 1-2 years, as at least they do a thorough inspection and take care of the small things like bushes of suspension, small hose pipes etc.
They told me the starting probably because of the Fuel Filter Assembly O Rings being worn out and taking air. They did not find any leak in the diesel lines.
The Service was done, the Intermediate Stearing Shaft Replaced. Bushes etc of Shock Absorbers, tie rods replaced. Apart from this the Fuel Filters, small hose pipes were replaced. Coolent was replaced, Engine Oil Filter, Engine oil was replaced.
The Scorpio has been starting fine since then in the morning.

Suddenly thrice after the Service My Scorpio has this problem - The Engine keeps on running even after switching off and taking out the key. If i turn it on again the rpm goes up and if I take out the key it goes down.
I give it a raise and try a few times and it shuts down. If I let it idle with the key out the engine will shut down after about 50 secs.
I have been told by the service adviser that it is a problem in the solenoid switch in the Fuel Pump. He told me opening the fuel pump is an expensive and complicated process, and I should get the springs of the solenoid switch and the solenoid switch checked at the Bosch service center.
Has anybody encountered this problem ?
For some time now I have been thinking of getting my injectors cleaned (increased vibration, and higher rpm at idling) but have been dissuaded to get the injectors opened as it is a complicated process. Now I guess finally I will have to find a bosch diesel service center to get the Solenoid switch of the fuel pump fixed, and to get the injectors cleaned.
Still havn't found the address of a Bosch Diesel Service Center around South Delhi.

Last edited by Styler : 21st November 2015 at 11:05.
Old 21st November 2015, 18:48   #4144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhatshah View Post
I think there is a relay which gets affected . I had a similar problem in my old 2004 Indigo.
Later the mechanic told me that even Scorpios have this relay.
It affects only starting.
The non-crde Scorpio has no ECU and no relay.
Old 22nd November 2015, 00:02   #4145
Senior - BHPian

Had a bit of a scary cum funny incident with my Scorpio yesterday. The genesis dates back to last Saturday when I went off-roading with my 8 yr old and parked the car at home.

On Sunday I realized that the rear left tyre had a flat, I was flying out of town in the afternoon so I took some help to get the tyre changed and asked the person to keep the flat in the car.

I returned back early morning on Friday and planned for a shopping trip with wife and kid so proactively got the flat tyre repaired (it had a small puncture) and set out in the evening for a short trip, about 2.5 kms. from the house I felt some wobbling and then the speedo needle started fluctuating, realizing something was wrong, I immediately moved to the side an braked, the moment I braked I heard a thud and the entire rear left of the car slumped to the road.

I thought either the suspension or the entire differential had broken off, I came out and got a shock to see the tyre lying on the road and the car resting on the hub. With no clue what had happened I could see all the 5 nuts missing, and after 5 mts. of pondering a tempo walla comes and asks, "apka tyre nikal gaya kya, nut piche pare hain" (did you lose the tyre, the nuts are lying some distance away). He was a nice guy and helped me gather the nuts which were almost 250 mts away from where the tyre had come out.

I called a mechanic, being Saturday evening there was some delay so I decided to try out on my own, first I tired jacking up the other side but no avail, then the front part of the left side by the hub did not come up by an inch, so last option I managed to put the jack under the tie rod joint and managed to bring up the car and fit the wheel.

So 45 mts. lost but we managed to complete the shopping trip.

Damage:

1. One of the wheel bolts on the hub has come loose will have to get it rectified. Currently the wheel is on 4 nuts.
2. The mud flap was bent, managed to get in shape.

Gurus, please check if I need to take any further precautions / checks before planning a longer trip ( the weekend trip already cancelled as wife refuses to step in the car)
Old 22nd November 2015, 09:55   #4146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Update - The day after I got back from Rishikesh I had given my Scorpio for Service to the Mahindra Service Center Koncept at Mathura Road, New Delhi. The last time it went to a Mahindra Service Center, it was more than 2 years ago.
I bought my scorpio from Bhasin Motors, New Delhi and always got it serviced there. Suddenly when I reached their workshop I was told they have closed operations from 31st Oct 2015. I had no choice but to go to Koncept motors further down the road on Mathura road. There was a service advisor at Bhasin who has joined Koncept. I was skeptical as my Scorpio is 12 yrs old and Koncept Motors came into being only about 5-7 years ago. How could they have spares of older vehicles but I was told they will source the parts required.
I give my Scorpio for Service to the Authorized Service Center once in every 1-2 years, as at least they do a thorough inspection and take care of the small things like bushes of suspension, small hose pipes etc.
They told me the starting probably because of the Fuel Filter Assembly O Rings being worn out and taking air. They did not find any leak in the diesel lines.
The Service was done, the Intermediate Stearing Shaft Replaced. Bushes etc of Shock Absorbers, tie rods replaced. Apart from this the Fuel Filters, small hose pipes were replaced. Coolent was replaced, Engine Oil Filter, Engine oil was replaced.
The Scorpio has been starting fine since then in the morning.

Suddenly thrice after the Service My Scorpio has this problem - The Engine keeps on running even after switching off and taking out the key. If i turn it on again the rpm goes up and if I take out the key it goes down.
I give it a raise and try a few times and it shuts down. If I let it idle with the key out the engine will shut down after about 50 secs.
I have been told by the service adviser that it is a problem in the solenoid switch in the Fuel Pump. He told me opening the fuel pump is an expensive and complicated process, and I should get the springs of the solenoid switch and the solenoid switch checked at the Bosch service center.
Has anybody encountered this problem ?
For some time now I have been thinking of getting my injectors cleaned (increased vibration, and higher rpm at idling) but have been dissuaded to get the injectors opened as it is a complicated process. Now I guess finally I will have to find a bosch diesel service center to get the Solenoid switch of the fuel pump fixed, and to get the injectors cleaned.
Still havn't found the address of a Bosch Diesel Service Center around South Delhi.
Older Diesel engines had a "decompression" hole which was normally closed while the engine was on. To stop you had to open the hole or in more advanced versions stop the fuel, as there is no other way to stop the engine. (Unlike petrol and CRDE engines older diesels did not require any electricity to run). So there must be a relay that does the function of stopping (either stopping the fuel pump or decompressing the engine).
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 17:04   #4147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Damage:
One of the wheel bolts on the hub has come loose will have to get it rectified. Currently the wheel is on 4 nuts.
The retaining grooves for the hub not are damaged as a result of the incident and the nut was moving free. The part is not available so have got the nut welded to the hub, will order the new hub at the A.S.S. tomorrow and get it replaced, till then I think there should be no problem with the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-img2015112200219.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-img2015112200220.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-img2015112200221.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-img2015112200222.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2015, 18:16   #4148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Older Diesel engines had a "decompression" hole which was normally closed while the engine was on. To stop you had to open the hole or in more advanced versions stop the fuel, as there is no other way to stop the engine. (Unlike petrol and CRDE engines older diesels did not require any electricity to run). So there must be a relay that does the function of stopping (either stopping the fuel pump or decompressing the engine).
I have been told by mechanics that there is a solenoid switch in the fuel pump. This switch is probably misbehaving. The problem is happening only occasionally. I am just wondering if it could be the main key switch too. I am hoping the self-healing abilities of the Scorpio heal it in a few days

Another thing that has started happening once in a while is that the horn starts to blow while turning the steering. I remember this used to be a common problem with my dad's ambassador which had a ring for a horn switch. For the Scorpio it seems while changing the Intermediate Drive shaft some wire has been damaged and occasionally while turning the steering the wire touches earth or something and the horn blows.
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:01   #4149
BANNED

Cross posting from the 2015 Scorpio Official Review, like a nut, didn't realize we have this thread alive. Reason for re-asking the question is that all remedies reported on this thread have been for the Scorpio that have travelled a generous amount, but the clutch on mine is giving me troubles even before 5 digits. Solicit your help on this guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
I couldn't find a better thread to get the audience of fellow Scorpio owners. As had been mentioned by me earlier, the clutch on my 2015 Scorpio seems to be tighter than normal. I went in expecting it to be an effort above my petrol car, but at 4000 Kms the clutch had a rough, grinding feel to it on a long trip.

I had the MASS check it on the scheduled first service, and apparently they put some kind of lube and told me that Mahindra had offered this official solution. Anyway, at 7272 kms now, the clutch hasn't gotten any worse but worryingly, hasn't gotten any better.

If someone can offer their experience and expertise on the following problems, it will be of great help;

a. The clutch in general feels an effort. In fact, people who have followed my comments and threads would know, I ended up buying an automatic - one reason being an aching knee due to the clutch on the Scorpio.

b. Initially, the clutch behaves normally, however if one pushes the engine a little and tries to shift at 2500/3000, the clutch become perceptibly hard.

c. After a longish drive, can be certain the clutch becomes a grinding irritant.

Hope to address these problems in January, when I will send it for servicing. Either the car goes to its doctor at MASS, or I have to go to mine for my knee. (Hey! Wait a minute. I just started my third decade) :(
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:36   #4150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Solicit your help on this guys!
It could be that the hydraulic actuation system is not working as it should.
Do have the master and slave cylinders checked. They seem not to be providing the required degree of assistance.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:59   #4151
BHPian

Quote:
Solicit your help on this guys!
It could also be the pedal box. I had this same issue of the clutch being hard and a noise as well which I had initially thought originated from the spring.

It has since stopped after the replacement of the pedal box.

Maybe you should try this.

Cheers
anvara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 16:50   #4152
BHPian

I am hearing a 'cluck' sound when I depress the clutch or shift gears. What could be the problem?

Just a month back I did the regular 50k service and vehicle was doing fine, but started to give some worries now! The car just jammed in 5th gear and refused to downshift. The R.S.A mech saw the vehicle, did something to release the jammed lever and then drove for a good 20kms before declaring everything is going fine.

Am I looking at something serious here guys!
Old 25th November 2015, 14:08   #4153

Where is the main control unit of security system located? I want adjust the intensity of shock sensor associated with security control system. it only works with hard shock.
Old 28th November 2015, 14:27   #4154
BANNED

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Thanks again for all the responses. The upcoming weekend along with my insatiable insistence on problem-free cars made me drive down to G3 Motors in Navi Mumbai for the Scorpio.

I had said this before, at reiterate again. The Mahindra service centres maybe devoid of the suave/ panache of 'suited-booted' people or an ultra-luxe customer lounge, but what it has is some seriously honest service personnel. I am sure the umpteen number of customer satisfaction posters in the service bays and the facility offers a constant reminder to the personnel there to get the job done. On my first visit to the service center, I had allocated an advisor and he is going to remain so for the rest of my car's life with me. Following my experience with him, I don't see a reason why I should change that.

Three problems were reported to him yesterday;

a. The hardening of clutch
b. Driver-side Power window konked off
c. Constant and irritating noise from the rear side of the car on the drives.

Solution provided for the aforementioned;

a. What's called "laptop bleeding" or so I heard. Essentially it requires them to drain out the fluid and refill it.
b. The window was stuck! Apparently no issues with the motor.
c. Maybe a design problem with the lock, and the tailgate had some play. Retorqued and good to go.

Not only does the clutch seem to be better at operating, the gear shifts have become much smoother. The SA did give me a caveat not to compare it with the German I had earlier, which seems a fair assumption to make. Would I like a smoother operation? Why not, but for the time being, it doesn't seem to be as much a problem. Before giving it to service, I had tried to check for the health of the clutch on an incline, and the car performed perfectly normal. I will keep a close look out for the clutch, but the fix has made it better for sure. There seems a little resistance at higher RPMs even now, but I was told it is a nature of hydraulic clutches and even the new cars will have that. Me, being a noob at hydraulics cannot contradict that right now.

The car isn't noiseless now after the adjustment of the tailgate, but appreciably quieter than before. Undulations of the road don't tend to lend the car its own acoustics (bad one at that!). The SA attended to all my issues within a day, despite a personal medical emergency in his family. Not only that, he topped up the power-steering fluid and had a mechanic lower the play of the clutch by adjusting its height, on my insistence today. Bill? Zero. (I had just dropped into an ATM before going there, he must have enjoyed my zapped look!)

Overall, I would rate honesty much higher than gadgetry or suavity of service personnel, G3 Motors in Navi Mumbai and Vaibhav in particular scores quite high in that regard. Cheers! (with caution towards the clutch)

Last edited by methecupid : 28th November 2015 at 14:31.
Old 3rd December 2015, 15:36   #4155
Senior - BHPian

Problems mentioned earlier solved.
It wasn't such a crisis after all.

The vibrations beyond 2500 rpm were fixed by a Rs. 20 solution. Tie clips were installed on the heater tubes and the problem vanished.

For the air flow indicator light coming up the actuator valve was replaced.

These days the ABS light likes to come on at times!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks