Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 21:40   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Looks like all of Fiat test drivers were short guys!
Unable to comprehend, pl. explain!

IMO, the cabin space is miserable considering that the car has dimensions equal (rather a bit more) to an OPTRA.
Has the car been designed for short people? I was quite uncomfortable sitting in the rear (and I am only 6 feet tall)
Old 23rd January 2009, 23:00   #212
BHPian

Has anyone got a change to drive a petrol version of linea? Could you please compare?
Old 24th January 2009, 00:29   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Test drove the Diesel Emotion at Fortune Motors, Nerul. Test drive route was on the road towards JNPT which also meets the Palm Beach Road near Belapur.

- The car looks better in real then in pictures.

- It's HUGE!

- Design, fit and finish, paint quality, size makes you feel like you are looking at a Rs.12 lakh car which is avaliable for Rs.9 Lakhs. That's where the car is cracking VFM. In comparision, City, SX4, Fiesta feel cheaply made. City, IMO, feels like a 6 lakh rupee car avaliable for 9 lakhs.

- I LOVED the steering. It's a work of art. You wouldn't feel like letting it go off your hands! Size is also small and sporty.

- Little touches all over the car. There is tremendous value addition in comparision to competition. In just the boot, I could point out 2 features where the Linea betters the competiton.

- I found the engine silent. I don't know why people are complaining about noise. Maybe over 3K rpm some sound comes in but at that rpm even my SX4 sounds like all hell is breaking loose in the engine bay.

- Ride quality is just fabulous. Nothing comes close to it.

- NVH is also great. It's very silent on the go.

- There is a little hint of reluctance in second gear till 2500rpm after which the car goes really well. First gear was okay to me. After reading reports here I was expecting the car to be like my SX4 which is dead in first and second and has to be literally flogged to get moving. The Linea doesn't show any of such sluggishness. Just a hint of reluctance in second. Test route also had a flyover. I was in fifth at 80kmph with A/c working and 3 people on board and the car scampered up really easily without losing any steam.

- It's not a performance car. If you want outright performance look at Fiesta S or even ANHC. But as a complete package, Linea is THE car to buy today.

- There was one area of concern for me. The height adjustable seats go down really low. That's the good part. However, the steering wheel even at it's lowest level was set a little too high for me. Looks like all of Fiat test drivers were short guys! Also, like ACI said, the steering feels like it's coming onto you. It's very in your face. It's going to be very tough getting a perfect driving position. In this respect, the Linea is typical Fiat!

- The car was extremely easy to drive, easier then the Palio. In just a few minutes, I was totally comfortable driving it. Clutch was light unlike the Palio. Gear shift is smooth too.

- Loved the central arm rest.

- Fortune says the response has been over whelming. They said they have sold 40 cars till date. 9 of them are petrols. Majority of sales are of the top end Emotion option pack. Dealer said lots of City and SX4 buyers moved to Linea.

i agree with u amit.
my t.d at fortune motors ,nerul was great.
there were just two fiat salesmen who looked devastatingly tired but one of them attended to me promptly and i got a td in 15 mins.
i found the cabin silent too.i dont know what else people want from a diesel car.the swift has atleast 3 times more noise intruding in the cabin.
there is turbo lag but the engine comes to life post 2000rpm but not with the kick that swift gives but driveability is great.
i drove the car for almost 25 mins and even ripped it for 0-100 time and got it in 15 secs.it may be slightly underpowered but by no means is it slow.
fiat has concentrated more on driveabilty and a good all round package rather than outright performance.
Old 24th January 2009, 00:44   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju_kp View Post
Has anyone got a change to drive a petrol version of linea? Could you please compare?
Me too, the nearest Fiat showroom hasnt got a Petrol TD Car yet so id love to hear if anyone has TD the Petrol version.
Old 24th January 2009, 10:16   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Unable to comprehend, pl. explain!
I meant that strictly in terms of the high set steering wheel. Even at it's lowest setting the steering is set to high while on the other hand the height adjustable driver's seat has a really big range of settings. What I found was that when you set the seat at it's lowest setting, the steering feels to high up. I am among the few people who like to set the seats at the lowest level but we all know that most Indians are happy with a higher seating position. Fiat probably designed the steering keeping that in mind.
Old 24th January 2009, 10:34   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
i agree with u amit.
there is turbo lag but the engine comes to life post 2000rpm but not with the kick that swift gives but driveability is great.
i drove the car for almost 25 mins and even ripped it for 0-100 time and got it in 15 secs.it may be slightly underpowered but by no means is it slow.
fiat has concentrated more on driveabilty and a good all round package rather than outright performance.
Several bhpians have reported that there is lag till 2000rpm, but the torque curve posted on one of the threads shows that Linea 1.3MJD has peak torque @ 2000rpm, and pretty good amounts at say 1600rpm, or so. Also, the torque goes down above 2000rpm.
So, I am wondering, has Fiat India messed up the torque/gearing in the Linea launched here with the 5bhp detuning ?
Old 24th January 2009, 11:50   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Several bhpians have reported that there is lag till 2000rpm, but the torque curve posted on one of the threads shows that Linea 1.3MJD has peak torque @ 2000rpm, and pretty good amounts at say 1600rpm, or so. Also, the torque goes down above 2000rpm.
So, I am wondering, has Fiat India messed up the torque/gearing in the Linea launched here with the 5bhp detuning ?
This is my interpretation:
Good torque at certian rpm range means it has better pulling ability at that speed range. It doesnt mean engine is more responsive at that rpm range. It is possible that engine feels sluggish till 2000 rpm but it is torqey and hence quite drivable.
PS: I havent driven Linnea
Old 24th January 2009, 18:22   #218
BHPian

Fiat Linea (D) Emotion Pack TD

Hello,
Yesterday i managed to TD the Linea, of course it was already zero'd in as the car im planning to buy, so it was a formality and i was actually just looking for something starkly un-usual that would make me hold back. Fortunately, that did not happen.

I drive, currently a 100Bhp Hyundai Accent and even though im not a tuner visiting enthusiast, i'd deff. not stand for a slouch or mis matched power-train in a car (like the i20).

The seating position :

Was as expected, good ... i did have to take my seat all the way at the back other wise i did feel the central console and door pushing on my knees. The little executive sat behind me and squeaked he was fine. The central drivers arm rest was a pain and will not win any design awards, it does not need to be there actually, and will enjoy a vertical stance unless i hit the highway and notch her into fifth.
The rear seat ...its not the best bench for 8- 9 lakhs, i was tilted to stay in, and my hair gel would have left a blotch on the celling :-) , but again i am 6'2 and will rarely sit in the back. With my driver , i'd still be in front. NOTE : those of you who'd like a back seat ride to work every morning, and are tall enough to be considered handsome at 5'11, (lol...kidding), DO NOT buy this car.

I adjusted the steering wheel to a mid way point, view on the instrument cluster was not lost. It is set quite high.

The Engine :

Sounded pretty quiet, and rumbled enjoyably at standstill. No Honda City like silence in this cabin, but no mahindra like drumroll either. The first gear is a bit short, and a switch into second from standstill is REQUIRED within 3.5 - 4 sec ....a bit of a driving style adjustment, I'm expecting to make.
This gearing probably holds well for FE. It did not feel under powered and the drive up and around pali hill felt effortless , and composed. Its a pretty composed little plunker of a motor.
Straight line long distance drives and overtaking would have been a pleasure ...., no your not going to out drag that yuppie in a civic or city, but who cares about him. I hear the little 1.3 takes this long base chap upto 180 kmph ... .wow .... that says a lot.
I dont know what speed i got up (disconnected speedo) to but it felt sure and v v reasonable with the kind of driving im used to.

Paint and Exterior :

Looks the part, like the little poor cousin of the Massarati ..... that it is. (i like)
The front grill, large lamps and the slope in the roof makes it a looker. The boot looks like she needs an a
Wow, the paint shop fiat have is top notch ... i loved the red TD vehicle for much, i have actually changed my mind from the Champagne i had originally booked. I already own one red car, and my family thinks im silly to get another Red ...... this is wonderful. How many people you know who have 2 red sedans ....? case and point on how lovely the metallic red pain job on the car is.
The boot demands me to install a bumper guard flap (like a rupper / vynal piece which folds on to the bumper) within it ... its huge but using it for large bags stress them ol triceps , it almost has a step to climb over before you can plonk your bag in.

Costing :

I just recieved my pro forma invoice in mumbai for the car .... here goes :

MODEL FIAT LINEA EMOTION PACK DL

EX - MUMBAI

EX-SHOWROOM 835,105

INSURANCE © 30585

REGISTRATION 64457

EXTENDED WARRANTY 5350

ON ROAD COST 935497

Apparently the 2+2 extended warranty would carry a premium if opted for on a later date. Is that so ?
I told him that if i could delay paying the 5 k for two years, and pay it later, would it be cool .... he said yes, but told me to expect the almost double or close to 12 k to extend it then.
Insurance is only available from Tata Aig and Reliance. I'm personally most comfortable working with New India Assurance , maybe because of legacy and existing relationships with NIA .... but hey, they say cash less facilities in the showroom are excellent, they also have a job to do i guess.

My opinion ... this seems really good value for a diesel when you think of the alternatives with this poise - like the toyota corolla, City, Civic (no diesel) and the Chevy Magna. The Verna is a dated but worthy competitor though.
Sorry Swift Dezire is not a sedan in my humble opinion, and the Tata Indigo would horribly encroach on my style with its DM (down market) image. The Innova is fab, again, doesn't go with what i expect for the city. The Scorpio, needs a lot more engineering to qualify as well, what's with that back seat !
Xylo .... hmmm , is it what .... w.t.*f ?

Toys :

Love the blue and me, in principal at least , didn't have a chance to sync the system with the phone. The music sounded great, even tough i'd want a little more bass and trebs, but heck, one of the best OEM music system i have used, lets say apart from the 2005 Merc E 220 that i had the pleasure of using for a couple of days.

My last 2 pence :

I think this car would have been perfect if

1. An option of a 5 speed auto CVT (continuous variable transmission) was available like the Jetta. Those short first and second gears would not be a problem then
2. Leather seats were optional as well
3. 5 alloys instead of 4 ... Alloys are weight savers and carrying around a spare metal wheel makes me cringe.
4. Motorized wing mirrors, come on, must haves in mumbai for 9 lakhs .... hyundai offers that on their little i20!!! ?

Don't get me wrong ... this car is still, in my humble opinion, a winner ... I'm sold on to it.
Old 24th January 2009, 19:06   #219
Team-BHP Support

My test drive experience

I got to take a test drive of the Linea this afternoon. Will sum up my experiences here.

When wifey first saw the Linea ad in the newspaper, she was kinda curious about the Linea and was asking me questions about the car. While i did provide her with whatever info i knew, i said why not check out the car at the dealer?!

It so happened that we were passing in front of Prerana Motors on Sarjapur road that we decided to stop and check out the Linea.

Let me first set the context by stating that this is the first Fiat car that i am checking out, and since i have checked out the Fiesta i may draw some comparisons with that as well as my current car.

Initial impressions : Initial impressions were mindblowing! The display car in silver looked real classy. I must say after seeing the car in silver, i was more inclined towards the silver, rather than the red, which was the TD car. Interiors were not exactly the most contemporary, but will serve the purpose. Seating space in front was good, with the seats offerring reasonable support as well. Surprisingly, i was able to find a suitable driving position in no time.

At the rear, i felt the car was miserly on space, specially headroom at the corners, thanks to the sloping roofline. A fellow customer who was also checking out the car was shocked with the lack of headroom at the rear. He was 6 feet.

Decent space in the glovebox, and i am not sure if its a cooled one. Vanity mirror had lights beside it, and i dnt remember if i have observed it on any other car (Havent had much of a chance to check out higher end cars ).

Driving experience : I test drove the diesel variant, which was rather quiet initially, and started with no noises making the type of fuel it slurped evident. Slot it to first, go and braked - i was surprised by the bite of the brakes, which bit hard.

The first and second gearing seemed totally amiss. Maybe i was comparing it to my petrol Ikon, but there seemed to be no pull. Second was rather laborious in its effort. Slot it to third, and from there the car comes into its own. It pulls well, i must say.

Undulations and potholes were dealt with a quiet ease, and i must compliment the ride quality. At one place where work on a tunnel is going on, and the road is in tatters, i drove the car into it on purpose. It managed really well, but managed to hit its bottom at one point. For a moment, neither I nor the salesperson made any comment. i then politely enquired about the ground clearance, which was 161 on the diesel. Salesperson was quite knowledgable, i must add.

Took a U-turn on the Ring Road, and was surprised by the amount of space it required to turn. I commented that the Linea has a greater turning radius than the Xylo, which the salesperson agreed.

All in all, following my experience both with the dealer staff who were really courteous, as well as the car, i feel the Linea makes a good buy considering what it offers. Definitely not al that fun to drive, but does its job with certainty.

I hope Fiat gets its act in order and the car does well. If not for Fiat, for the Linea atleast.
Old 25th January 2009, 00:05   #220
BHPian

Had a short test drive of the Linea today at Tafe - Pashan Pune. First impressions is this is a really well built, feature rich, fantastic value for money car. Linea is unbelievable value at 7.7 on road for the top end petrol and 9 for the top end diesel.

Before we had Fiesta, Verna, City but really Linea is in a different class altogether in terms of features, build quality, interiors and the superb value. Kudos to Fiat. I am thoroughly impressed that finally we are getting total bang for buck here.

The only thing that spoils the party - because I really don't feel Fiesta, Verna et all make sense now with Linea and all these features like abs, airbags, climate control, 195 tyres with alloys, blue and me - is the new city. The shape has somehow grown on me and I don't particularly mind the interiors, the only thing that bugs me about the new City is the 175 tiny tyres and no alloys and climate control. That is not on for a 9.2 lakhs car when even Hyundai is delivering such superb value with the i20. I really do feel Linea and i20 have changed the game in terms of build quality and features we should expect in India and kudos to both Fiat and Hyundai.

Honda please buck up, we need you to deliver the same value in India that you do in other countries

Now moving on to the actual test drive, the car looks pretty large from outside, the interiors are well done, its not cramped but given the size you do feel it will be bigger inside but the space is really not anything to complain about. Maybe if you are 6.5 the rear seat will be cramped but with normal folks space is not an issue, same with the i20 rear seats. Doors feel sufficiently solid, interiors are nice and plastics are very decent, the diesel is surprisingly smooth and with 3 people on board I didn't feel any lag, and in 3rd it gets a nice push around 2000 rpm. I couldn't really push it due to traffic but it didn't feel like a laggard, but it didn't have that explosive power either, quite sedate surprisingly like the new city which inspite of 118 bhp is tepid.

On the whole after test driving both Linea and i20 I feel quite good about the India auto market. These 2 cars are really superb in every way. There are complaints about the engines, and I can understand some of those, but driving any of these cars doesn't give away the lack of power away too easily, but on build quality, interiors and features they blow away the competition.

This is a pretty discerning and demanding bunch of people here on this forum and I think we should not shy away from patting both Fiat and Hyundai for giving us 2 extremely well built and feature rich cars at very reasonable prices.
Old 25th January 2009, 06:11   #221
BHPian

Took a test drive at Concorde Velachery yesterday evening. Not going to elaborate on the vehicle. Wanted to check the linea in stop and go traffic and narrow lanes. The build quality is generations ahead than my wagonr.

In Stop and go traffic, the car is not that bad at all. My gut feeling the lower gears are enough for the city. Not sure about the highway run. Narrow lanes is a different ball game and the car feels big. From a driver's seat, the front-left is still way off and might be a problem for some turning into smaller roads. U-turn is a bit of a bother because of the turning radius.

The breaking is good and gives you confidence. The gearing is not bad. Seating was extremely comfortable and soaked the road beautifully.

1. Does the basic diesel have back A/C Vents ?
2. What Audio does the linea (higher models) come with ?

Silver looks amazing to me, while wife liked the red.

P.S.: I drive a WagonR and hence might sound too positive
Old 25th January 2009, 10:43   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
2. What Audio does the linea (higher models) come with ?

Silver looks amazing to me, while wife liked the red.

P.S.: I drive a WagonR and hence might sound too positive
Hello Buddy !!

1) The basic diesel would not have the back A/C vents
2) The higher models come with Blaupunkt Audio... good one or atleast pretty descent....

"The grill and the chrome look good on red, if you are an aggressive person go for the red.... just my personal opinion though..."
Old 25th January 2009, 11:22   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
2. What Audio does the linea (higher models) come with?
Buddy, you went to a show room spent some time with the sales guy(s)/gal(s), actually took a TD and now asking these questions to us?

You deserve a nice bashing, no? ;-)
Old 25th January 2009, 12:07   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazherr View Post
My last 2 pence :

I think this car would have been perfect if

1. An option of a 5 speed auto CVT (continuous variable transmission) was available like the Jetta. Those short first and second gears would not be a problem then.
The Jetta has a DSG, the NHC had a CVT. The two are miles apart in terms of driving experience.
Old 25th January 2009, 14:06   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Design, fit and finish, paint quality, size makes you feel like you are looking at a Rs.12 lakh car which is avaliable for Rs.9 Lakhs. That's where the car is cracking VFM. In comparision, City, SX4, Fiesta feel cheaply made. City, IMO, feels like a 6 lakh rupee car avaliable for 9 lakhs.
Chrome. Use of chrome finishing has some part in the perception of laxury. Linea makes a clever use of chrome in the grill, window lining, door etc while there is not much chrome used in City.
Also, the combination of texture and colour of the plastics used in City do not give the perception of good quality.

Last edited by Guna : 25th January 2009 at 14:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks