Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 18:05   #661
Senior - BHPian

How is Michelin latitude cross, it is new made in France available with dealers.

BFG he says is not more than 2-3 months old. How to check that?
Old 14th December 2009, 18:10   #662
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
How is Michelin latitude cross, it is new made in France available with dealers.

BFG he says is not more than 2-3 months old. How to check that?
There is a date stamped on the sidewall., for example my Cross contact AT says 2109, which means 21st week of 2009. Since I got these in August, I got 2 month old tires, which is pretty new!.
Coming to BFG, I doubt he has the offical import then. Michelin has stopped importing BFG. I suspect they did so because the cheaper AT tire from BFG was eating into their LTX sales.
So now in BFG you have Long Trail TA tour.
As for Michelin latitude cross, I do not think its an all terrain tire.

If you do not want A/T, you can go for Long Trail TA tour, which is around 5700 or so, otherwise you can go for one of the three
Yokohama Geolander AT/S
Continental Cross contact AT
Michelin LTX

If you are experimental, for around 5400 you can get the MRF Wanderer A/T, but I don't know if anybody on the forum uses these!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2009, 15:02   #663
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys
i need to change the tyres on my Gypsy. Currently its running on 205/65/R15's and I want to upgrade to BF Goodrich 215/75/R15's.
This will increase the tyres height from 25.49" to 27.69" and increase of almost 2.28" or 58mm in ride height and 29mm in ground clearance.

Further I will be changing the alloys and moving back to OE steel rims. The tyre wala has agreed to buyback the alloysm but has not committed a price for the same.

Can someone please give me an idea on how much should the old alloys be worth and how much should the BF Goodrich 215/75/R15 cost. A Set of 5.

Here is a picture of the alloys.
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-img_1306.jpg  

Old 15th December 2009, 15:49   #664
BHPian

MM550 alloys - max backspacing??

Hi guys

Can someone clarify what is the maximum allowable backspacing in an alloy to mount on a mm550 army spec.
Will a 8j alloy with a backspacing of 4.5 inch fit without touching the leaf springs when turning??

thanks

nishanth
Old 15th December 2009, 16:45   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
GV owners in India have no choice, you have to upgrade to 235, there is no 225 available.
You can buy new stock tires of same OE size from ordering at MASS. They quoted me 8500/- per tyre.

Quote:
It is a tight squeeze to mount the 235 Michelins into the spare wheel holder. With a strong sidewalled BF, it may be impossible to mount it. Even with 235 michelins, I have not been able to put the spare wheel cover. I need to try harder I suppose.
Very important point. Thanks for letting me know at right time. What if I buy only 4 new and keep the best old one as spare. I know it is not advised specially as it is an AWD vehicle, but I remember Skoda gives a different size spare as company fitment.

Ohh !! Sad to know about that. I feel you are doing the right thing by replacing the older two. But before that look closely if you can find some manufacturing defect, some cracks etc so that you can get them changed without losing your money.

Quote:
Whatever you buy, check the tyre age, dealer won't do it for you.
Thats the golden line, Thanks. Hats off to Team-bhp again. You have had a bad experience, but that will help lot many people for coming years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There is a date stamped on the sidewall., for example my Cross contact AT says 2109, which means 21st week of 2009. Since I got these in August, I got 2 month old tires, which is pretty new!.
Coming to BFG, I doubt he has the offical import then. Michelin has stopped importing BFG. I suspect they did so because the cheaper AT tire from BFG was eating into their LTX sales.
So now in BFG you have Long Trail TA tour.
As for Michelin latitude cross, I do not think its an all terrain tire.

If you do not want A/T, you can go for Long Trail TA tour, which is around 5700 or so, otherwise you can go for one of the three
Yokohama Geolander AT/S
Continental Cross contact AT
Michelin LTX

If you are experimental, for around 5400 you can get the MRF Wanderer A/T, but I don't know if anybody on the forum uses these!
Thanks for explaining the date code. It would be an experience to see the expressions on the face on dealer when I will tell him the exact date of manufacturing. I'll check that tomorrow.

One NIOC member has Wanderer on a 550 but while offroad BFG are better.

@Harjeev- Currently some gift hamper scheme is going-on on BFGs, ask your dealer for that.
Old 17th December 2009, 14:56   #666
Senior - BHPian

Got BF Goodrich 235.70.R16 for my GV yesterday. Thanks for the date tip fellows the dealer was trying to give me one older tyre with 0309 code. I got all 4 with 2109, thats May 09, not too new but not too ald also considering Jaipur. These are made in USA with bill and warranty. Will post pics soon.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:08   #667
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Yogesh, now let us know whether the BFGs are noisy on the highway.
Old 17th December 2009, 18:03   #668
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Samurai, I will go to Gurgaon coming Sunday for GV's first OTR. Will post in detail after that. Initial impression is that it is a bit noisier then the earlier one but nothing much if you not notice too hard. The steering has become super soft (surprisingly) and the vehicle has much better grip on road (that might bring the FE down a bit, my guess). Can't notice any change in ride quality. Biggest plus point- it has boosted inner confidence a lot (tested few dividers with success).

Edit- Added pictures

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-sdc17012.jpg

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-sdc17010.jpg

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-sdc17015.jpg

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 17th December 2009 at 18:20.
Old 17th December 2009, 18:46   #669
Senior - BHPian

@yogesh
Congrats on the tyres! How much did you pay for them???
I am actually thinking of buying these tyres from my Gypsy and even my Safari when they are due!!!
Old 17th December 2009, 18:55   #670
Senior - BHPian

BFG hi kyun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@yogesh
I am actually thinking of buying these tyres from my Gypsy and even my Safari when they are due!!!
Harjeev Bhai,

Chota muh badi baat, but why are you so bent on BFGs for your Gypsy?

In course of my project nomad, I've done extensive research, going and physically checking out every tyre brand available in 215/75 R15 size - Yokos, Michs, Bridgestones, BFGs - even Apollo Hawkz AT and Wanderer!

As per my own groundwork, and consultation with Gypsy experts, it does seem Yoko Geolander AT and Michelin Latitude are the best options for the Gypsy. Both are best for on-road/off road balance, for the Gypsy in particular.

Of course, you wont get the "oye macchoo" white lettering (Geo has only white border lettering, Mich has none). But why bother with cosmetic factors?

As a price reference, I was quoted 4.7K per tyre for both BFG and Yoko in that size. Michelin was 5.3K, and not available off the shelf.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:29   #671
VEA
BHPian

JKTyre LT2000

Can someone help me to get JKtyre LT2000 7.50x16 tyres. I checked with most dealers in Coimbatore and Cochin. None of them stocks it, and they are not even willing to take an order from me. Reason being strike in one of thier plants. Anyone aware of some dealer having this in stock? i need a set of 5.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:45   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Harjeev Bhai,

Chota muh badi baat, but why are you so bent on BFGs for your Gypsy?

In course of my project nomad, I've done extensive research, going and physically checking out every tyre brand available in 215/75 R15 size - Yokos, Michs, Bridgestones, BFGs - even Apollo Hawkz AT and Wanderer!

As per my own groundwork, and consultation with Gypsy experts, it does seem Yoko Geolander AT and Michelin Latitude are the best options for the Gypsy. Both are best for on-road/off road balance, for the Gypsy in particular.

Of course, you wont get the "oye macchoo" white lettering (Geo has only white border lettering, Mich has none). But why bother with cosmetic factors?

As a price reference, I was quoted 4.7K per tyre for both BFG and Yoko in that size. Michelin was 5.3K, and not available off the shelf.
Come on buddy, We are all on the same line here
If we guys have to think twice before expressing what we think, then the pure purpose of joining and expressing on the forum is defeated!!!
So write away my friend

With regards to the BF's I am interested in them not because of the white lettering as in anycase I was thinking mounting them such so the the white lettering is on the indise
but that the way I am!!! i am not atall into show and all
The reason I want them is because
  1. these tyres are still Made in USA (not that this matters, but still the quality might be slightly better)
  2. they are 3 ply tyres (I have been told that all others are 2 ply's)
  3. the side wall is very strong and does not easily budge or balloon when off-roading
  4. they are cheapest of the lot (or the deal that I am getting is better than 4.7k)
  5. A friend of mine (and a bhpian) has the same on his gypsy and he has done 70-75k kms and still the tyres has alot of tread left to last him 20-25 kms atleast
  6. Somehow I have never really fancied the Yoko's (no offence to anyone)
But still I am reading and gathering info!!!
Old 18th December 2009, 11:48   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@yogesh
Thanks Harjeev, I got 5700/- each and along with that I got a gift hamper of Benetton including a wallet, wrist watch, Credit card holder, keychain.

Quote:
The reason I want them is because
  1. these tyres are still Made in USA (not that this matters, but still the quality might be slightly better)
  2. they are 3 ply tyres (I have been told that all others are 2 ply's)
  3. the side wall is very strong and does not easily budge or balloon when off-roading
  4. they are cheapest of the lot (or the deal that I am getting is better than 4.7k)
  5. A friend of mine (and a bhpian) has the same on his gypsy and he has done 70-75k kms and still the tyres has alot of tread left to last him 20-25 kms atleast
  6. Somehow I have never really fancied the Yoko's (no offence to anyone)
I second these reasons. The strongest side wall and most aggressive thread pattern were the two major reasons for me to go for them. I have seen several times in NIOC OTRs and in other OTR pics on T-Bhp, side walls getting damage, even of new tyres with full life remaining. Seeing the amount of sharp rocks in our surroundings it was a priority.

Regarding thread pattern there is no denying that it has got the deepest and widest groves, which not only gives it a rugged look but also would be helpful in some offroad situations and bring it closest to Mud Terrains. Since my priority is to enhance the offroad performance of my vehicle therefore no second thoughts on that for me.

Tyre running life of BFG is good as stated in most of the reviews online. People doing 60-70K miles easily.

@predatorwheelz- All the companies are good. See what your specific requirement/usage is, what your terrain is and which one you like. It is like SIM card schemes, what is good for me may or may not be good for you.

For a perfect match of on and offroad I would suggest Michelin LTX and for a better tilt towards offroad I would suggest BFGs. (Pls note Michelin Latitude are different tyres- Made in France) Goe AT and Michelin lattitude for better tilt towards on road. In fact Apollo Hawkz AT is a very well performing AT tyre for Gypsy. All above data as per my observation and my own views (IMHO).
Old 18th December 2009, 11:59   #674
Senior - BHPian

Gabru Apollo Bhaiya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
For a perfect match of on and offroad I would suggest Michelin LTX and for a better tilt towards offroad I would suggest BFGs. (Pls note Michelin Latitude are different tyres- Made in France) Goe AT and Michelin lattitude for better tilt towards on road. In fact Apollo Hawkz AT is a very well performing AT tyre for Gypsy. All above data as per my observation and my own views (IMHO).
Michelin LTX is not available in 215/75 R15 size anymore, only latitude is. Check out the Michelin India site, or my Project Nomad thread where I have a pic. Rossi has these tyres fitted on his Gypsy as well.

And I fully agree to your point that ultimately it all boils down to requirements. There's no "one size suits all"

OT - The Apollo Hawkz is certainly one good looking tyre. A friend here in Kolkata has fitted these on his Safari. What it lacks in capability it makes up in looks.
Old 30th December 2009, 00:09   #675
BHPian

I found picture of this immaculate jonga in the thread jeep untold story, which are these tyres, are these the 7.00*16 ndms or some other type?
If the owner or somebody else can shed some light on the price and availability of these tyres.

Regards

Pranav
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-jonga.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks