Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 10:39   #1
Team-BHP Support

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Mod Note: Our Thar Facelift Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-thar1.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-thar2.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-thar3.jpg

Source: Motorbeam

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2015 at 09:43. Reason: Updating URL
Aditya is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 11:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Mahindra has started testing a facelifted version of the Thar.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Source: Motorbeam
Alas - one more disaster!

The Mahindras seem to be heading the Maruti way, every refresh making the design worse!

1) The slope given at the rear is unwarranted, yes, the Jeep Wrangler has a slope, but is also has the A and B pillars sloping inwards unlike the Thar, where they are vertical! 5 people sitting at the rear is going to be difficult!

2) As it is, the shorter rear wheel-track (compared to the front) looks odd with the current fender extensions. Now with the extended fender extensions, it sure makes it worse! At least, they could have equalized the wheel-tracks front & rear, it is not 'that' much of an engineering exercise!

Just hope that the dash is a genuine 'improvement' over the previous one.

The timeless design of the 540 is doubtless lost
cpbopanna is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 11:31   #3
BHPian

Too bad the snapper couldn't catch the face of the face-lift!

I guess the dashboard may not be a jugaad of the Bolero's former dash. Or it maybe a jugaad of the Bolero's latest dash.
The fender extensions look a tad too wide for OEM tyres, but of course prevents mud from splattering all over the sides. They could have upgraded the tail lamps and front blinkers to LED units. But I like the bend in the C pillar.

Actually they should just introduce a higher model with:
  • the Quanto's 3 cyl engine
  • an OEM hard top
  • Second row front-facing seats, with the front seats collapsing to give way
  • ABS, EBD, and Air Bags
  • Immobilizer
  • 4x4 (duh!!)
And they can retain the current CRDe, with differential lockers, and maybe add a snorkel, and keep it for the hardcore enthusiasts.

But, when the 2 new Mahindra SUVs come in this year, we will know for sure why they have done only this much.
Old 19th January 2015, 18:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Bopannaji - hello, how are you? Long time no see, let's catch up sometime!

You have already written exactly what I would have written, so there is nothing for me to comment, except that - guys, buy it before the "Primary USP of Timelessness of the Outside Appearance" is lost forever! (Ruchir, this goes for you too dude, buy it, quick)!

As I always live with hope, this time also I hope that good sense prevails and the outside appearance will be left unchanged. The tilt of the canopy looks absolutely hideous! .

Dear Vinod - as "they" would have "gone ahead" (whatever that means) but the least you can do is retain the current canopy size and shape and introduce color combination canopies. Burgandy red canopy on a white vehicle will look beautiful, both of us know that we always wanted to do this combination to give it that superb look! Oh come on now, it's been 4 years now! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 22:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

http://www.zigwheels.com/upcoming-la...in-2015/20806/

Thar is coming with revamped interiors. This is one news most of us were expecting out of 8lac + vehicle. Can anyone confirm whether I should wait for some more time. the new interior update and my thar in transit news has come hand in hand today

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 19th January 2015 at 22:10.
Old 20th January 2015, 12:57   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Mod Note: Thar Facelift posts moved out to a new thread!
Old 20th January 2015, 18:25   #7
BHPian

Aditya San,

Is it just me or the wheel on the vehicle and the wheel mounted on the swing door are different?

Maybe its being tested on lower sized wheels, Just a thought!
Old 20th January 2015, 18:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

Interesting, finally they seem to take the whole project a little more serious Wonder what changes are being made to the front? Wheel fender flares are real useful though ugly with this camo, useful since tires otherwise throw up a hell lot of much on to the sides of the vehicle.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 21:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Most people upgrade to alloys and the wheels stick outside the current fender flares. In my case, dirt even gets thrown inside the jeep. I think the new fender flares will accommodate more offset alloys.
Old 20th January 2015, 21:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

If they really needed to make a change to the shape, they could have tried doing something with the shape and size of the targa band and if possible increase the front windshield rake (more in line with the Marshal, Pikups to be able to reuse the front doors from them). Presently, the Targa band is too high and is too vertical and makes hard-top conversions look ungainly (unless the band is messed with).
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 22:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

People who organize the feed back from the vehicle owners and the people who carry out these changes on the vehicle after the feed back> are they two different lot of people from different departments of Mahindra?

Well, I think the price of the used Thars will certainly go up!
Old 20th January 2015, 23:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

I for one just hope that they DO NOT plonk in the 1.5L engine. Either the 2.2 mhawk in the Scorpio configuration or the present engine do just fine.
Old 21st January 2015, 01:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I for one just hope that they DO NOT plonk in the 1.5L engine. Either the 2.2 mhawk in the Scorpio configuration or the present engine do just fine.
Unfortunately they will. They want to exploit the Sub 4m sub 1.5 liter criteria for lower taxation. They are "confident" that the 1.5 that is in the Quanto, with tweaks will bring out similar power and torque output as the current 2.5. The low end torque of the current one will be more than addressed by their "super turbo". So are quite upbeat about offering same performance, better looks at a lowered price. As if that's all that an offroader requires.

Like someone said, the best time to get a Thar, is now, grab your copy while they are still making it more or less in line with the original concept.
1100D is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 16:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
People who organize the feed back from the vehicle owners and the people who carry out these changes on the vehicle after the feed back, are they two different lot of people from different departments of Mahindra?
Dear Parm - you are so absolutely, totally, perfectly, pin-pointedly "correct"! .

Redesigning fender flares is good, but this must be coupled to very clearly defined AOT (Air Over Tires) guidelines which are available for reference. This will freeze the tire envelope, which must then meet the performance needs, the CMVR and BS4!

Dear Anirban - please don't give targa band and windshield angle change ideas, it will complely ruin the shape and kill the vehicle. Have a heart yaar, what's wrong with you? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 23:07   #15
BHPian

Are you sure the sub 4 meter benefits will be passed on to the customers? I for one never saw that happening. Ecosport being the case in point.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed