Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2015, 02:18   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesbee View Post
I have also booked a Thar with Mahindra dealer Swami Automobile here in Chandigarh last month and expect delivery end of this moth or first week of March 2015..

Now I'm so confused if I get this what I booked or wait until when for the updated one?

Thanks,
Wait for the updated one. From what is posted here, even if some of these rumors are true, you are in for a big treat. Take the gamble and wait.
Old 22nd February 2015, 02:19   #77
BHPian

@ksingh

You can directly email VP(Customer Service), Mahindra. His email id is available on Mahindra website. They will be able to guide you regarding timeframes of various launches. I had contacted them last year regarding launch date of updated Thar, and they had given me approximate timelines, so I could take a decision whether to wait or take the plunge.
Old 22nd February 2015, 07:53   #78

Okay. After a bit of research and some talk with experts and some friends working in mahindra, here is what explains the revamped thar. Some details.

1.) Changes are being worked upon for close to a year now. They just kept it mum and didn't have to try very hard as thar wasn't there high end product. If you notice, somewhere mid 2014, mahindra had stopped releasing monthly sales figures of the thar. It is around that time that the work had actually begun. As a symbolic gesture the 50 lakh car of mahindra was also thar. This to show the jeep lover that thar is being taken seriously. Truth is dipping sales were a cause of concern.

2.) These changes are not because mahindra is always serious about serving the jeep lovers. The truth is, mahindra internally, took jeep for granted. There was an assumption that set in that those who will buy the jeep will be motivated enough to do so and there's no point working over and over again on it. Why try harder was somehow the philosophy. Plus 2010 onwards, mahindra has released many new models so jeep wasnt priority. That's why, since 2010, the thar has only received tweaks and not an overhaul.

3. ) why did mahindra feel threatened? Mahindra suddenly realised that while it will continue to hold on to the thar's rural clientele, the urban enthusiast is going to move on to a better option coming its way - the original jeep wrangler. Feature loaded, stylish looks and 100 percent original. They knew that the rich urban enthusiast does not mind spending and was in any case doing anything to modify and do up his or her thar. So this.

4.) The planning is this - to continue the Di model for the rural market as is. For the urban market, the new swanky model will be available. Price is certainly going to be more than the present crde model but mahindra's calculation is this - we will offer as close to what the wrangler will - for half the price. That's how they are looking to position the new thar. It is still going to be way cheaper than the wrangler.

5. ) here's why those like me who have just bought the old model only recently should not be in depression completely. The best thing about the thar is that whatever you may do inside, mahindra will dare not touch its exteriors - so in terms of design the old model buyers will never go out of fashion. Secondly, no one buys the thar to just drive it in cities. People will take it off road and high end gadgetry in a serious off roader could often be at the risk of getting damaged. It is a blessing in disguise though that the present thar is the way it is. Thirdly, the parts in the old trim are inexpensive - cheap looking yes but available to a lot of experimentation not very expensive to replace if damaged. I have heard the door handle is only 16 rupees. Lock knob for 7 rupees. The new trims are beige in colour and personally if you ask me, that colour is going to put off a lot of serious enthusiasts. The one thing the old trim guys like me are really going to miss is the talk of putting abs with ebd in the new model.

6.) For the many like me who have just bought the old trim of the thar, do not get disheartened guys. It always is and always will be ... A #JeepThing.

Expect more dope soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhi29 View Post
10k worth accessories free!!!
Where did you buy it from? i got only corporate discount (6000/-)
@sukhi29 I bought mine from koncept mahindra lajpat nagar. Yeah. They were pretty generous with offering me freebies. Now we know why..

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd February 2015 at 10:04.
Old 22nd February 2015, 09:19   #79
BHPian

Is it possible that the pics posted are of a Thar DI, as I noticed there were no fender fairing/extensions and the "4X4" badge/monogram is missing as in the DI.
Old 22nd February 2015, 10:45   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanket.u View Post

@sukhi29 I bought mine from koncept mahindra lajpat nagar. Yeah. They were pretty generous with offering me freebies. Now we know why..
i am gonna kill koncept guys (just kidding), They offered me only corporate discount. I was so much in love with the thar that i didnt even discuss the possibility of freebies. :(
But i will give full points to koncept lajpat nagar for delivery before promised date and for customer service.
I had booked thar with shiva patparganj in october, later went to koncept lajpat nagar and booked it with them when vikas (sales rep) Told me he will get me silver thar by 25th nov. I got it on 20th.

Koncept arranged loan @10.45% And i was getting loan at 11.75% From my bank.

and funny thing, i went to get refund from shiva patparganj on 25th. They said, sir, ur vehicle will arrive in 3 Days.
i said, screw u, i got my thar. The manager was shocked and thrashed the sales rep. For not keeping track and losing sale to koncept.

But koncept guys should have given me that bumper for free. It wouldn't have hurt.
Old 4th March 2015, 03:15   #81

Mahindra Thar 2015 will have better handling

"Mahindra engineers have done some serious work on chassis / suspension in addition to endowing the Thar with the substantially more powerful power plant. We can expect a torsion beam to have been added to improve its stability and also enhance its handling."

http://goo.gl/8oVwSk
Old 4th March 2015, 09:25   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Mahindra Thar 2015 will have better handling

"Mahindra engineers have done some serious work on chassis / suspension in addition to endowing the Thar with the substantially more powerful power plant. We can expect a torsion beam to have been added to improve its stability and also enhance its handling."

http://goo.gl/8oVwSk
Just went through the link, extremely speculative in nature.

Just because the author saw the Thar do 150+ kmph on the highway and some high-speed lane-change manoeuvres, he feels there is "a good chance" that the Thar may have got the 2.2L mHawk engine and "serious work on chassis / suspension".

Am not sure he has ever driven the older Thar at all - getting to and handling at high speed was never an issue. Stopping, now that's a different story altogether.
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 10:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Just went through the link, extremely speculative in nature.

Just because the author saw the Thar do 150+ kmph on the highway and some high-speed lane-change manoeuvres, he feels there is "a good chance" that the Thar may have got the 2.2L mHawk engine and "serious work on chassis / suspension".

Am not sure he has ever driven the older Thar at all - getting to and handling at high speed was never an issue. Stopping, now that's a different story altogether.
Agreed it's mere speculation, reminds me of the axiom - 'don't judge a book by it's cover'
Old 4th March 2015, 12:18   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
We can expect a torsion beam to have been added to improve its stability and also enhance its handling."
What stupidly speculating page. So, he gathered all this from spy pics? BTW, all Thar comes with Torsion bars. I doubt the author even knows that it means...
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 23:30   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
BTW, all Thar comes with Torsion bars. I doubt the author even knows that it means..
He probably meant "sway bars"... must give him credit, got 50% of it right.
Old 5th March 2015, 15:23   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
He probably meant "sway bars"... must give him credit, got 50% of it right.
Thars have come with sway bars from day one. Even the DI and Mahindra picks, major etc, comes with sway bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
don't judge a book by it's cover'
Especially when the book has camo stickering on all wheel arches.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 5th March 2015 at 15:28.
Old 27th March 2015, 22:22   #87

Hey guys any idea about when would Mahindra launch the new interiors of the Thar? I am planning to change mine.
Old 28th March 2015, 02:55   #88
BHPian

The spied front pictures suggest an upgraded front bumper.

[Image source: Motoroids]

Indianautosblog says it could be a mix of plastic and metal.
The full article is available here:

http://indianautosblog.com/2015/02/2...testing-168813

Also, the current version of the Thar uses fixed hub locks right?

Why do the spied pictures suggest that Mahindra is going for auto-locking hubs again?
Old 28th March 2015, 07:26   #89
Senior - BHPian

Thar is back on Autolocking hubs since Jan 2014
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 11:19   #90

Any update on when the updated Thar is gonna be released? I had been asking our Dealership in Chandigarh but they always do not comment.

Thanks,
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks