Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 22:47   #151

Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

What’s interesting is that the new Mahindra Thar is said to run the more contemporary 2.2-litre MHawk engine used in other Mahindra SUVs. Expect different engine tuning and gear-ratios on the Thar for it to cope well both on and off the road. http://m.ibnlive.com/news/auto/2015-...2-1020282.html
monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 23:50   #152
AWD
BHPian

What is really surprising is the choice of launch schedule by Mahindra. They deliberately brought it bang in the middle of S-Cross & Creta launch out of nowhere. I mean what are they thinking! Are they trying to compare the vehicle to the other two or do they think they will grab the creta, scross customers!

From what we were told/know, Mahindra was very reluctant to launch, research, manufacturer & increase capacity for this vehicle. Now suddenly they are to plonk it bang in the middle of scross, creta. They are certainly thinking that they can grab a piece of the pie. Salute the home bred company for thinking to plonk this vehicle against the most modern of the offerings!
Old 16th July 2015, 16:06   #153
BHPian

Is it already on sale? Saw one with for registration sticker today. It had the sloping rear canopy and so asking the question.

Last edited by dsr_rpm : 16th July 2015 at 16:07. Reason: Added a line
Old 16th July 2015, 16:30   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm View Post
Is it already on sale? Saw one with for registration sticker today. It had the sloping rear canopy and so asking the question.
No, they have just productionised the sloping canopy on the existing Thar. The updated Thar is yet to arrive.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 10:54   #155
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE:
New facelift Thar was supposed to be launched during Mahindra club challenge in Goa three days back but they couldnt due to some logistics issue.
It will now be launched on 25th of July during Evo offroad Expo at International convention center, DaunaPaula, Goa.

PS: its not hearsay but, i was participating in club challenge where they shared this information on stage.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 15:26   #156
BHPian

I called up India Garage in Bangalore today to ask for a test-drive of the new Thar, the onroad price, booking amount and delivery period. The sales-man mentioned that the pre-launch bookings have started for Rs 50,000/- no discounts, however he was tight-lipped about the delivery schedule as well as the total onroad price of the vehicle. He mentioned that there are 18 new features on the vehicle. i asked him to send a list of those features in an email. Here is what he sent me...

1.ABS plastic bumpers

2.ABS new rear bumpers

3.New clear head lamps

4.New side foot steps

5.New redesigned removal canopy

6.New mechanical locking rear differential

7.Stylish dual colour Beige interior

8.Premium new seats

9.New door items with arm rests

10.New steering wheel

11.New 3-pod instrument cluster

12.Multi directional a/c

13.New windshield demester for heat and cold

14.New gear knobs

15.New lockable glove box

16.Provision 2din audio system

17.New floor console with cup holders

18.Independent coil spring suspension

I'm intrigued by number #5, #6, #13 & #18. Can someone elaborate on what it means in layman terms and what to expect?

Regards,
Manish

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd July 2015 at 08:35. Reason: Changing case for the feature list.
man23ish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 16:55   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
I'm intrigued by number #5, #6, #13 & #18. Can someone elaborate on what it means in layman terms and what to expect?
Quote:
5.NEW REDESIGNED REMOVAL CANOPY
The canopy is already relesed on the the latest Thar. It is slightly sloped at the rear. You can see the pictures on this forum or on the web.

Quote:
6.MEW MECHANICAL LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL
This is the MLD from Eaton, currently avilable for the Thar, Scorpio etc as after market equipment. Some of our forum members have already installed it. It is an automated unit that engages when there is wheel slip and you can disengage it by driving the vehicle in reverse.

Quote:
13.NEW WINDSHIELD DEMESTER FOR HEAT AND COLD
The current Thar doesn't have the windshield vents to demist the front windshield like most modern vehicles. So if your Thar Glass fogs up you take out your hanky or a betelnut leaf.

The new one has the vents going upto the windshield to demist/defog the windshield when your windshield fogs up.

Quote:
18.INDEPENDENT COIL SPRING SUSPENSION
This is news to me !! If it is true then they have replaced the rear leaf spring with the rear coil spring suspension from the Scorpio.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 22:39   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
5.NEW REDESIGNED REMOVAL CANOPY
The canopy is already released on the the latest Thar. It is slightly sloped at the rear. You can see the pictures on this forum or on the web.
Thanks 4x4addict Sir, I'm curious on the ease of removal of the canopy. Is this something that can be done at home easily or needs to be done at the garage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is news to me !! If it is true then they have replaced the rear leaf spring with the rear coil spring suspension from the Scorpio.
Yes, Exactly this means that the ride quality should improve for the rear-seat passengers too.. Right??
Old 18th July 2015, 23:17   #159
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
removal of the canopy. Is this something that can be done at home easily or needs to be done at the garage..
Exactly this means that the ride quality should improve for the rear-seat passengers too..
At users end at home I guess!

Yes Ride should improve over leafs.

Good +ve upgrades I feel, Mahindra working in the right direction. Not just regular nip & tuck.

So no changes to the engine as were reported earlier about Scorps Mhawk making a way under Thars bonnet.
Old 18th July 2015, 23:34   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
So no changes to the engine as were reported earlier about Scorps Mhawk making a way under Thars bonnet.
Scorpio's 2.2L MHawk would have been an ICING on the Cake... Guess, they are saving this for later upgrades... C'Mon Mahindra, bring it on...
Old 19th July 2015, 00:09   #161
BHPian

Independent rear suspension? M lockers? Whole new interiors?

That is full on open surgery rather than a "facelift".

Good to know that the Thar is going in the right direction.I hope they dont hike the price too much.
Old 19th July 2015, 13:11   #162
Senior - BHPian

May I ask, why so many upgrades being done to the poor Thar in such a short period of time?

Has MM got the wind of what Bawa Ji is doing in TATA?
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 15:50   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
One thing, I can assure you is that Tata is light years away from catching up with Mahindra for UVs. So you don't have to stress on that account.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 16:20   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
May I ask, why so many upgrades being done to the poor Thar in such a short period of time?

I wish dhabhar sir would come with Sumo 4x4 with 2.2L Dicor along with LSD, some interior tweak, better seats,16 inch 245 tyre, Front projector head lamp some what like this
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-modified-tata-sumo.jpg  

Nilay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 22:56   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilay View Post
I wish dhabhar sir would come with Sumo 4x4 with 2.2L Dicor along with LSD, some interior tweak, better seats,16 inch 245 tyre, Front projector head lamp some what like this
A La Defender 90!

Two door four seater, SWB, 4WD, 2.2L Dicor, LSD and a Snorkel. Gurkha decimated and take on Thar.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed