Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2009, 21:44   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Thanks! Can you email me if its in pdf/jpg format. It was available for very cheap in Siliguri/Sukna cantonment, around 25000/- a piece but the lot was of 28 vehicle. Sukna Cant has one of the largest ASC fleet, the 'watershed wheelers'. Never thought of buying one. Now I feel of searching for one. Alll of them along with fleet of shaktiman was bought by local body builder. Now they carry sands and building material.
Dear Sir, when in 25000/-? My brother in law is a wing commander retd in 1991 and was in Tez pur Assam in 1972 flying alluette helicopters and was flying to siliguri, rangia,dispur,leelabari,ziro,etc etc on daily sorties and used to tell me about disposal of air force vehicles viz. @ prices JONGA fo 4500/-,1 TONNER for 7500/- etc in army auction and they were good vehicles at the time of auction sale .
Old 25th May 2009, 07:57   #272

keep up the good work. looks great.
Old 30th May 2009, 08:29   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

I decided to start the Nissan 1Ton rebuild by this week. So I decided to drive the truck back on Sunday morning.
Hi Arka,

Any update on this Monster Wonder? I am indeed amazed at your level of customization and would love to see the progress on this one.
Old 30th May 2009, 10:17   #274
Senior - BHPian

Diesel Conversion

Hi Guys,

The Diesel Conversion work is going on.

I have to fabricate the following
1) Adapter Plate for the 1Ton Gear Box to Hino W04D Bell-Housing.
The plate is ready.

2) Custom Flywheel as the Top Gear Shaft is 4" Short.
Work will start next week.

Regards,

Arka
Old 1st June 2009, 20:47   #275
BHPian

Hi Arka,
Just wondering if you have kept the suspension stock or otherwise? The 1 Ton ambulances(for carrying 4 patients) had a softer one. Aparently, they had removed a leaf to make it more comfortable.

@discoverwild. At least somebody is appreciating my photographs clicked deep in The Great Rann of Kutch. ("I want one" - Selection must be intensive)
Old 2nd June 2009, 06:59   #276
Senior - BHPian

Susan,

That is a beautiful picture. I did not know it was yours. Just picked it up from the internet amongst quite a few other pictures. However, If it is not okay with you, I shall remove it. I believe you are in the armed forces, from some posts that I have read about you.
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:47   #277
Senior - BHPian

Mechanical Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Hi Arka,
Just wondering if you have kept the suspension stock or otherwise? The 1 Ton ambulances(for carrying 4 patients) had a softer one. Aparently, they had removed a leaf to make it more comfortable.

@discoverwild. At least somebody is appreciating my photographs clicked deep in The Great Rann of Kutch. ("I want one" - Selection must be intensive)
Hi Susan,

I was considering softening the rear suspension, but since the vehicle has o wear and tear on the mechanical side I have decided not to do anything.

However I have considered doing a few small upgrades to the front Axle.

1) Heavy Canvas Dust Cover/Boot for the Closed Knuckle

2) To add a shock absorber on the Steering Balance rod to reduce bump steer. (60kgs Tyres Each)

Regards,

Arka

PS - Please suggest any modifications you would recommend to improve tyre life, off-road performance, better ride
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:42   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2) To add a shock absorber on the Steering Balance rod to reduce bump steer. (60kgs Tyres Each)

I think Arka will be a serious contender for the Mr. India / Mr. World title here.
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:34   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Susan,

I was considering softening the rear suspension, but since the vehicle has o wear and tear on the mechanical side I have decided not to do anything.

However I have considered doing a few small upgrades to the front Axle.

1) Heavy Canvas Dust Cover/Boot for the Closed Knuckle

Regards,

Arka

PS - Please suggest any modifications you would recommend to improve tyre life, off-road performance, better ride
Hi Arka,
Dust cover is one of the things which will enhance the life of the knuckle. But it requires regular inspection for tears/damage(after off road trips) and upgradations accordingly.
The vehicle is balanced I have never seen any problems with the wheels and tyres all my life. However, I beleive that you are going to go for a set of non conventional tyres. With the diesel engine the front rubber may get affected.
For off road performance of bigger vehicles(now high torque lower RPM with the new transplant) you may consider keeping a set of snow chains which will come in handy in slushy conditions also.
Better ride ride may come from a better braking system(heavy booster) and power clutch. You may consider getting the seats changed for comfort and handling(and also to suit your huge frame).
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:02   #280
Senior - BHPian

Wip

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Hi Arka,
Dust cover is one of the things which will enhance the life of the knuckle. But it requires regular inspection for tears/damage(after off road trips) and upgradations accordingly.
The vehicle is balanced I have never seen any problems with the wheels and tyres all my life. However, I beleive that you are going to go for a set of non conventional tyres. With the diesel engine the front rubber may get affected.
For off road performance of bigger vehicles(now high torque lower RPM with the new transplant) you may consider keeping a set of snow chains which will come in handy in slushy conditions also.
Better ride ride may come from a better braking system(heavy booster) and power clutch. You may consider getting the seats changed for comfort and handling(and also to suit your huge frame).

Hi Susan (Major Sa'ab)

Is it possible for you to post some pics of in service Nissan 1Tons.

especially the Knuckle Dust Cover.

I intend to upgrade the tyres to 9.00X20 NDMS from 8.25X20.

The Diesel Engine is 4cyl 4009cc W04D from a VFJ 2WD JONGA (1999).

The engine is 10" shorter than the petrol Engine and 50-60Kgs heavier, so the weight distribution will not be an issue on the front axle.

wrt SEATs I'm just 4" shorter than you ; with the OEM Seat pushed back fully the Steering Wheel is a few inches from my solar plexus .

The Original seats look good will get them re-cushioned, when doing the upholstery.

I had plans to upgrade the Brake System, but currently will not be doing that

Also I plan to use the original Clutch & Cover Assembly. but will confirm that in a few days.

Regards,

Arka

PS - SNOW - Chains can you help me procure a set
Old 9th June 2009, 22:37   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Susan (Major Sa'ab)

Is it possible for you to post some pics of in service Nissan 1Tons.

especially the Knuckle Dust Cover.

I intend to upgrade the tyres to 9.00X20 NDMS from 8.25X20.

The Diesel Engine is 4cyl 4009cc W04D from a VFJ 2WD JONGA (1999).

The engine is 10" shorter than the petrol Engine and 50-60Kgs heavier, so the weight distribution will not be an issue on the front axle.

wrt SEATs I'm just 4" shorter than you ; with the OEM Seat pushed back fully the Steering Wheel is a few inches from my solar plexus .

The Original seats look good will get them re-cushioned, when doing the upholstery.

I had plans to upgrade the Brake System, but currently will not be doing that

Also I plan to use the original Clutch & Cover Assembly. but will confirm that in a few days.

Regards,

Arka

PS - SNOW - Chains can you help me procure a set
Hi Arka,
I will search the vehicles for the apropriate photograph of the knucle cover. But I know it is difficult to come across such a vehicle which is still in general service. 1 tons are surviving in the softer roles of instrument lorries and ambulances, which seldom go off roading as there are already newer generation vehicles to do the field job.
Those tyre will definately imrove the ride quality and braking to a little extent.
The diesel motor is a previous generation motor. Will require coaxing from time to time. But I know it will perform in your hands!
The original seats will have to recushioned as the drivers' is always sagging with extended usage.
I am waiting for rest of the upgrades.
I will PM you for the snow chains.

Sandy.
Old 20th June 2009, 18:00   #282
BANNED

Hi Arka,

10days passed ,any updates?
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:30   #283
Senior - BHPian

Sand Blasting

Hi Guys,

The Nissan 1Ton work is going on in earnest.

Coming weekend she is going for Sand-Blasting and then a Coat of Zinc primer, before the diesel engine is installed and the tinkering work starts.

Regards,

Arka
Old 7th August 2009, 02:38   #284
BHPian

We are in August. Time for the progress report. Its finally taking shape ain't it.

Update Please!!
Old 7th August 2009, 09:59   #285
Senior - BHPian

Updates

Hi Guys,

In the past year I have done the following.

1) Changed the spark plugs for TPC09 - NGK BP5ES

2) MSD Ignition Coil.

3) Diesel Engine Conversion will resume after TPC09.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Pics on Monday

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks