Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2019, 15:26   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVL500 View Post
...would be interested to know if you were able to fix it or is this a normal behavior.
I got it checked at MASS (since the Gypsy is still under warranty) and as expected, they said it is normal behavior, which I do not buy. Have not had the time to get it checked elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVL500 View Post
Additionally, in my case say I am slowly cruising in 2nd or 3rd gear and I let go off the accelerator pedal and let it roll for few seconds and then re-apply accelerator, it picks up with this "khat" kind of sound.
Another symptom of the same root cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Play in the universal joints on the shaft. To check get under the gypsy and try to rotate the drive shaft left and right. If there is a play you will feel the shaft moving slightly before it stops.
As far as I know, some amount of play in the universal joints (free movement of drive shaft) is normal, is that not so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In case of latter you have to take the differential apart and replace the Crow/Pinion combination.
Oops! Sounds bad. I'd rather get the diff replaced under warranty.
Old 1st July 2019, 23:26   #557
BHPian

Does Gypsy have a habit of losing its line while driving at moderate speeds? I have recently installed a Mitsubishi PS and the Gypsy seems to be moving right and left at moderate speeds and I have to make frequent steering corrections.
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:38   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
Does Gypsy have a habit of losing its line while driving at moderate speeds? I have recently installed a Mitsubishi PS and the Gypsy seems to be moving right and left at moderate speeds and I have to make frequent steering corrections.
The front wheel suspension is designed to Self Centre.
Most probably while installing PS they have messed up the front wheel alignment (Toe In). Get the alignment checked and correct the Toe In.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 15:32   #559

The 'KHAT' sound while releasing clutch while shifting gears is common in Gypsies. Its the sound from the slacked joint cross OR "Joint Star" as called by our local mechanics. This is a component which connects the transfer case main shaft and the propeller shaft. The component is not that expensive and may cost around 700/-. But yes, I've observed that the joint cross does not last long, needs replacement every 1 year or so, depending on the driving behaviors.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd July 2019 at 17:07. Reason: Typos.
sharybold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 18:13   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharybold View Post
The 'KHAT' sound while releasing clutch while shifting gears is common in Gypsies. Its the sound from the slacked joint cross OR "Joint Star" as called by our local mechanics. This is a component which connects the transfer case main shaft and the propeller shaft. The component is not that expensive and may cost around 700/-. But yes, I've observed that the joint cross does not last long, needs replacement every 1 year or so, depending on the driving behaviors.
Thanks for the inputs! I was suspecting the same but this has been there from day-1 on my brand new Gypsy. Will try and get these changed under warranty while I still can.
Old 14th July 2019, 21:45   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks for the inputs! I was suspecting the same but this has been there from day-1 on my brand new Gypsy. Will try and get these changed under warranty while I still can.
Greasing the Star would stop the noise for sometime
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 13:55   #562
BHPian

How many instances of rear tow hook break while towing? Mine just snapped moments after I started towing another Gypsy.
Quite surprising.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-img20190714wa00201134x2016.jpeg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-img20190714wa00151134x2016.jpeg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-img20190714wa00171134x2016.jpeg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-img20190714wa00131134x2016.jpeg
Old 18th July 2019, 20:33   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
How many instances of rear tow hook break while towing? Mine just snapped moments after I started towing another Gypsy.
Quite surprising.
Hi Arsi,

What you're referring to as a tow hook is actually just a securing hook in my humble opinion. Used to keep the vehicle in place (static load) when it is being transferred by truck etc.
It is not designed to take the dyanamic loads during towing. Sadly, Maruti haven't installed rated tow points for the gypsy.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th July 2019 at 21:43. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags.
Bump-Stop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 15:40   #564
BHPian

Hi this is query that has bugged me for a long time... though I understand that the manual power steering is a safe bet on a Gypsy, but what are the other options:
1. Koyo Hydraulic Power Steering - that seems to be the best option so far in the forums I have read.
2. Electronic Power Steering - I guess many of you guys run on the Wagon R EPS setup.
3. Has anyone tried this setup the automate electronic power steering?
Pros and cons, feedback and pictures of EPS would be highly appreciated.
Old 4th August 2019, 19:44   #565
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMASKARAN View Post
Hi this is query that has bugged me for a long time... though I understand that the manual power steering is a safe bet on a Gypsy, but what are the other options:
1. Koyo Hydraulic Power Steering - that seems to be the best option so far in the forums I have read.

I am reliably informed that the Koyo set up is good. It is imported from Singapore or Indonesia or Thailand and works well in the Gypsy. Apparently it costs about 35-40K including fitting.

Personally Im keeping my Gypsy stock. Not converting it to Power Steering. Largely because I want the authentic feel it gives without PS though it is quite an arm workout if one tries to turn the wheel when stationary or at low speeds.
Old 7th August 2019, 05:25   #566
BANNED

I have a small query.
I note at lower revs and lower speeds when in either third or
second gear and when trying to 'chug' along in traffic or when slowing down considerably before a speed breaker or similar, the Gypsy tends to get a bit "jerky' and therefore 'lurches' a bit. Of course I usually crack it immediately into a lower gear to avoid a stall.

My ignition coils are brand new original as are my spark plugs and my
Throttle body is also clean as are the injectors.

Is there something I can look at and clear up so as to avoid this 'jerky' behaviour at very low revs and speeds?

Is there a way to increase the torque and therefore the 'chuggability' of a
Gypsy?
Old 7th August 2019, 11:43   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is there something I can look at and clear up so as to avoid this 'jerky' behaviour at very low revs and speeds?
Yes, lubricate the A pedal and be a little gentle on that. It will work out
Old 7th August 2019, 20:37   #568
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yes, lubricate the A pedal and be a little gentle on that. It will work out

Accelerator is not sticky at all.
Im guessing the torque buildup at low revs isnt enough because the engine is old even though the compression is within the acceptable range on each cylinder. Obviously not as good as a new Gypsy but good for a 2005 model with the added advantage of fhe K&N filter and so on.
Im thinking one day soon I will sleeve the engine and restore compression to near-new.
Till then I ll simply shift to a lower gear at these very low revs like 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st....
Old 8th August 2019, 11:30   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Accelerator is not sticky at all.
Im guessing the torque buildup at low revs isnt enough because the engine is old even though the compression is within the acceptable range on each cylinder. Obviously not as good as a new Gypsy but good for a 2005 model with the added advantage of fhe K&N filter and so on.
Im thinking one day soon I will sleeve the engine and restore compression to near-new.
Till then I ll simply shift to a lower gear at these very low revs like 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st....
There can be two reasons that I can think of

1. Carbon build up in the head. For this the best and least expensive (apart from enjoyable) method is to take the Gypsy for a 100 to 200km ride on an open highway. Maintain at least 80, preferably 100 km/h for most of the time and most of the carbon will burn up and the engine will perk up.

2. Carbon build up in the throttle body. For this you have to detach the Carburetor (if present), and thoroughly clean the passage. If there is a carburetor get it cleaned also and check the jets, replace if worn out.

The above will perk up the engine quite a bit. If there is till problem with low end torque, then the engine will need rebuilding.
Old 8th August 2019, 21:36   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way to increase the torque and therefore the 'chuggability' of a Gypsy?
Good low-end torque is not Gypsy's forte, thanks to the high revving petrol engine. If you see the specs, peak torque is attained at 4500 RPM, as compared to ~2000 RPM range for diesels. So, I doubt if you will ever get a satisfactory "chuggability" in a Gypsy, as it is meant to happily bounce over all sorts of terrain as opposed to crawling in the concrete jungle that our cities have now become.

Last edited by cool_dube : 8th August 2019 at 21:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks