Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2021, 12:35   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
Hello guys.

I need help regarding some issues:

1- I am experiencing 'missing' (lack of smooth constant acceleration), irregular idling, and sometimes even the engine gets off while I free-coast. The mechanic has suggested changing the throttle body. What could be the issue?

2- The steering box leaks green fluid while I park my vehicle. Apparently, my steering has become very hard. But that may be due to malfunctioning in my EPS which has apparently stopped working after a water crossing.

3- What should be frequency of changing the differential gearing fluids? I have not done it since 3 years and 10k km (mostly off-road)?

4- My leafs have gone completely flat at the front. And while the wheels flex (I have the stability bar removed), one of the two leafs gets inverted. Shall I add a couple of helper leafs to raise the height? I am afraid it might ruin the ride further and reduce the articulation.

5- The 2" shackles that I have installed do not swing during the articulation but remain at an constant angle thus, not helping in increasing the articulation further. May be because the mechanic has overtightened them. Shall I loosen them a bit?

TIA
My suggestion:
1. Year of vehicle? kms run? would help to decide if a change is imminent. Not sure about possibility but Throttle body from another gypsy can be used to check and validate decision. Also, please make sure you order SGP part through either dealer or MGP shop
2. Leakage of fluid may not be the reason of steering hardening until entire fluid has leaked
3. yes, 10,000 kms. Also if you do frequent water crossing then please check health of oil frequently to ensure contaminated oil is replaced. Many of us have learnt this hard way
4. Gypsy anyways has very bumpy ride, adding additional leaf springs will result in further discomfort. people who use gypsy for offroading face this issue of leaves flattening (unlike jeep). periodic re-cambering is the only option. would not suggest fibre leaf springs
5. do you have boomerang shackle or straight? high probability of this issues is because of over tightening , you need to ensure shackles move when vehicle articulates. it can be checked by leaf spring guy
Old 8th September 2021, 13:31   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys.

I need help regarding some issues:

1- I am experiencing 'missing' (lack of smooth constant acceleration), irregular idling, and sometimes even the engine gets off while I free-coast. The mechanic has suggested changing the throttle body. What could be the issue?
Check spark plugs, spark plug gaps, and replace if not looking good.
Check air filter and repalce if gunked up.
Check and replace spark plug wires.
Check and CLEAN throttle body. Throttle body usually does not go bad...does get filthy dirty. Clean air intake.

Check all engine sensors especially oxygen sensor.
Check cat converter and sensor.
Check any vacuum hoses for leaks.

Kill a goat and sacrifice it to Angelina Jolie, the patron saint of engine sensors.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 8th September 2021 at 13:32.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 22:05   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
(4) Normal in OEM Gypsy leaf - the flat camber actually softens the ride. Extra leaf is very much recommended. How is the ride without stabilizer/sway bar above 50-100kmph on highways? Have you done sharp hair-pin bends without sway bar at +40kmph? Does it feel safe?
Yes. I can say that my ride is 'comparably' soft. There is a good amount of wheel travel both off-road and over the potholes. It is currently limited by stock shocks which I am planning to replace by long travel shocks. However, I am afraid that adding an extra leaf might make the ride stiff and decrease the amount of articulation. On the other hand, the hogging (inversion) leafs make me nervous

I usually drive over 70kmph while on the way to otrs without much issue. However, I cannot deny the fact that the car tends to sway right and left sometimes. Usually, I do not try sharp cornering in my Gypsy but once, when my petrol tank was leaking and I had to reach to the mechanic, I did drive in rally style . I can say it is not much of an issue. The pros overweigh the cons in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
My suggestion:
1. Year of vehicle? kms run? would help to decide if a change is imminent. Not sure about possibility but Throttle body from another gypsy can be used to check and validate decision. Also, please make sure you order SGP part through either dealer or MGP shop

3. yes, 10,000 kms. Also if you do frequent water crossing then please check health of oil frequently to ensure contaminated oil is replaced. Many of us have learnt this hard way

5. do you have boomerang shackle or straight? high probability of this issues is because of over tightening , you need to ensure shackles move when vehicle articulates. it can be checked by leaf spring guy
1. 2008. 65k (that's what the odo says). I reckon the TP sensor attached to the side of throttle body has gone off. When I try to hold it, the idling of the vehicle gets disturbed.

3. Any idea where I can source the diff breathers. Can it be tried as a DIY?

5. Dog-bone. AFAIK, the shackle angle remains constant. It doesn't change even if one of the wheel drops down to the max and the other is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Check spark plugs, spark plug gaps, and replace if not looking good.
Check air filter and repalce if gunked up.
Check and replace spark plug wires.
Check and CLEAN throttle body. Throttle body usually does not go bad...does get filthy dirty. Clean air intake.

Check all engine sensors especially oxygen sensor.
Check cat converter and sensor.
Check any vacuum hoses for leaks.
Throttle body had been cleaned some 6 moths ago but did not solve the problem. Spark plugs were also replaced. Air filter is good. Where is the O2 sensor located? Is it the same as TP sensor? Which vacuum hoses are you talking about?

TIA
Old 9th September 2021, 16:42   #709
Senior - BHPian

You can Google some of this stuff. A good mechanic will probably know immediately where to look for trouble. Suggest you find a good mech., spend some money and get things stabilized otherwise you will waste time and money chasing phantoms.
Old 9th September 2021, 21:57   #710
BANNED

Quote:
Yes. I can say that my ride is 'comparably' soft. There is a good amount of wheel travel both off-road and over the potholes. It is currently limited by stock shocks which I am planning to replace by long travel shocks. However, I am afraid that adding an extra leaf might make the ride stiff and decrease the amount of articulation. On the other hand, the hogging (inversion) leafs make me nervous
The cheapest upgrade to attempt is Monroe gas shocks next higher up is Innova Shocks. The Extra leaf should help to provide more stability without the Sway bar and should not matter that much once the shocks are upgraded to Innovas I think.

Quote:
I usually drive over 70kmph while on the way to otrs without much issue. However, I cannot deny the fact that the car tends to sway right and left sometimes. Usually, I do not try sharp cornering in my Gypsy but once, when my petrol tank was leaking and I had to reach to the mechanic, I did drive in rally style . I can say it is not much of an issue. The pros overweigh the cons in my opinion.
Did you drive hair-pin bends on mountain roads for long journeys? I've had situations where I once took a spur of the moment risky tempo goods carrier overtake on 270deg turn at above 60kmph after I had a tiff with a GF in the car... there was no room for error with inches to spare and I've always remembered that moment of hot-headedness with credit due to the stabilizer bar - the car pointed exactly where I wanted to point it without wobbling and swaying or steering imprecisely. Then there are also those routine bends that we take at slightly higher speed for a crucial overtake while stuck behind a lumbering Oil tanker etc... I wouldn't trust my car without its Sway bar while its great for offroading.

Quote:
1. 2008. 65k (that's what the odo says). I reckon the TP sensor attached to the side of throttle body has gone off. When I try to hold it, the idling of the vehicle gets disturbed.
Thats a good clue! We have many good engine mechanics in roadside Garages - I am thinking you need to stop worrying sitting at the keyboard and just head out to a Garage.

Quote:
3. Any idea where I can source the diff breathers. Can it be tried as a DIY?
I've only seen DIY on youtube and I think all you need is to inventory the parts and find a competent mechanic. As a matter of coincidence I was thinking on the same lines too after water fording recently and I just placed an order yesterday for 75w-90 Diff Oils to change - after I had just put new oil 6-8 months back. I don't want to repeat it too often.

Quote:
5. Dog-bone. AFAIK, the shackle angle remains constant. It doesn't change even if one of the wheel drops down to the max and the other is up.
I am searching for a Garage with a Torque Wrench too. I tried the dog-bones 1yr back and replaced Original factory shackles some 15kms later. Cost me 4.5 grand + mechanic fees and many hours of a lot of headache.
Ragul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 20:09   #711

Hi Guys,

About 3-4 Months ago I picked up an Ex Air Force 2001 Gypsy King. I have spent the last few months getting it use worthy which it is now.

However, about 2 weeks ago, after a very short drive (about 5 - 10 KM), it overheated completely. Thankfully it did not stop and I took it to my mechanic who suggested I change out the radiator which I did.

After putting in the new Radiator, the temperature gauge is not showing that it's heating up, however, out of curiosity I opened the radiator (once it cooled down) and started the car and started pouring water in it.

I noticed a lot of Brown Gunk coming out of the radiator. Although the temperature gauge is still not showing it as heating, there is a lot of brown "gunk" coming out so we basically kept the car in idle and kept pouring water down the radiator until it became more clear.

My mechanic friend is saying that's the chemicals that are in the new radiators and that everything should be ok. However, I still have my doubts, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 21:12   #712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindpsyche View Post

I noticed a lot of Brown Gunk coming out of the radiator. Although the temperature gauge is still not showing it as heating, there is a lot of brown "gunk" coming out so we basically kept the car in idle and kept pouring water down the radiator until it became more clear.

My mechanic friend is saying that's the chemicals that are in the new radiators and that everything should be ok. However, I still have my doubts, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
You know the color of a coolant, it will remain the same color until it gets changed in the recommended interval. Your instincts tell you that something is wrong , you must get it checked with a Maruti ASC.
Old 15th November 2021, 08:15   #713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If the car isnt being used much, you will have this problem. The brown gunk is rust. Drain out all the coolant, use a radiator cleaner and radiator flush to flush out all the rust, and replace with a good quality coolant. You are good to go.
Old 20th November 2021, 18:48   #714

Thanks Dhanush.

Quick question, will a new radiator also contain that amount of rust? Asking because this was a brand new MGP radiator that I picked up from an After Market Parts store, so just a little concerned and curious.

I didn't do a "Flush" as you suggested but a friend of mine who is a mechanic checked and just kept pumping water into the radiator while keeping the car on idle. I have been checking the radiator every day and the coolant levels are good although I am still seeing some of the "Rust" in the liquid.

I guess I still need to do a full flush.
Old 21st November 2021, 14:46   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dhanush.

Quick question, will a new radiator also contain that amount of rust? Asking because this was a brand new MGP radiator that I picked up from an After Market Parts store, so just a little concerned and curious.

I didn't do a "Flush" as you suggested but a friend of mine who is a mechanic checked and just kept pumping water into the radiator while keeping the car on idle. I have been checking the radiator every day and the coolant levels are good although I am still seeing some of the "Rust" in the liquid.

There can be 2 causes

1. The radiator has been lying in store for a real long time and some parts have rusted. This can only happen with radiators that have steel parts. The old style radiators were full copper - top, fins and bottom.

2. The rust may come from particles deposited in your engine by the old radiator. Ot they may be from the engine block.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 08:51   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A second or third time will clear up..but that really shouldn't be a cause for concern
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 15:06   #717

Thank you both for the information, that's a relief and something new I learned.
Old 9th December 2021, 12:48   #718
BHPian

Couldn't find a more appropriate thread, so posting here.

BSF disassembles and reassambles a Gypsy under 2 minutes.

Old 24th January 2022, 13:05   #719
BHPian

Guys, looking for a reliable expert mechanic for Gypsy in Pune for basic upkeep of the vehicle. Any references would be appreciated.
Old 24th January 2022, 14:58   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Guys, looking for a reliable expert mechanic for Gypsy in Pune for basic upkeep of the vehicle. Any references would be appreciated.
Shetty Multicar Services (Sus & Jagtap dairy), We all get our gypsy maintained there. He himself own few gypsies

Sathish Shetty - 9860262007
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks