Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2019, 19:27   #586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I will most certainly check/ change the Fuel
Pump if required.
I shall go to the garage again tomorrow if they are (hopefully) open.
Good pointer Sir.
Thanks a lot!
If the fuel pump has never been serviced, you can have it removed and tested/calibrated/serviced at the mico bosch service center on JC road. They do a splendid job. Else if a new pump is not very expensive, just swap it.
Old 11th August 2019, 19:43   #587
BHPian

Got the old girl home after a month of fixing niggling issues, some of which are just going to be left for now. Will all its issue's it's still a joy to rev the 1.0L cast iron block and not hear any rough notes when you wind her up. This one likes to cruise at a sedate 60-70 kmph which seems to be her sweet spot.

I had forgotten how much torque the 1.0L actually has and was pleasantly surprised when it pulled without fuss in 4th at around 1300RPM (have a small gauge in the car).

Issues that were fixed:
  • A stubborn valve cover leak was fixed
  • Noisy tappets were adjusted to factory settings but the noise still hasn't completely gone on idle when the car is hot. I feels that the tappet adjustment screws need to be replaced
  • Rough noise from the diff or transfer case has disappeared with an oil change. Leaking diff seal was also fixed
  • Tattered door pads replaced with new boards and grey rexine
  • The main item was the AC which needed some work done on the refrigerant lines and cleaning of the blower unit which was a task in itself involving removing of the dashboard
    [*} Wiper washer wasn't working.I thought the motor had gone, but it seems the control from the stalk wasn't working??

Issues that need fixing:
  • A weak kingpin bearing need replacing. I sometimes get a shimmy while driving that goes when I lift off the throttle driving
  • The soft top needs to be replaced. Age and UV has made parts of it very brittle but I need to find a top that looks OE.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gypsy-110819.jpg  

keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 19:48   #588
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If the fuel pump has never been serviced, you can have it removed and tested/calibrated/serviced at the mico bosch service center on JC road. They do a splendid job. Else if a new pump is not very expensive, just swap it.

Thank you Sir
Yes I will consider what you said.
Thing is, at this moment with this elderly stage of my Gypsy I might as well buy a new fuel pump and fit it if indeed that is the faulty part.
And I can service and keep the old one too as a spare.
Old 11th August 2019, 19:52   #589
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Got the old girl home after a month of fixing niggling issues, some of which are just going to be left for now. Will all its issue's it's still a joy to rev the 1.0L cast iron block and not hear any rough notes when you wind her up. This one likes to cruise at a sedate 60-70 kmph which seems to be her sweet spot.

I
[/ooks OE.
[/list]

Keroo: where do you live in BLR? I would like to come and meet you and let the two Gypsy cousins (your red one and my green one) talk to each other.

Next, if I were you I would consider a hardtop just for security.

But I do appreciate the incredible lightness of being, that that soft top affords us.

My first ever Gypsy was a white soft top narrow track 410 which I had between 1997-2000 or so. I loved it.
Old 11th August 2019, 20:03   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Keroo: where do you live in BLR? I would like to come and meet you and let the two Gypsy cousins (your red one and my green one)
Very close to Gopalan Signature Mall, Old Madras rd. Would love to meet up.

The Gypsy gets used only on the weekends and goes to very safe places, so planning to keep it stock. My earlier Gypsy was a hardtop and had all the usual mods; ported, shaved, FFE, twin carbs, performance ignition, mild cam, stiffer valve springs etc. Which made it rev to 8000RPM. The current one suits my age.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 20:11   #591
BANNED

Quote:
Very close to Gopalan Signature Mall, Old Madras rd. Would love to meet up.

The Gypsy gets used only on the weekends and goes to very safe places, so planning to keep it stock. My earlier Gypsy was a hardtop and had all the usual mods; ported, shaved, FFE, twin carbs, performance ignition, mild cam, stiffer valve springs etc. Which made it rev to 8000RPM. The current one suits my age.

Ok
I will drive early tomorrow morning for a fun buzz ride
Are you game? I ll come to your neck of the woods.
Early means early. 0630-0700.
Short meet.
What say?
Old 12th August 2019, 09:22   #592
BANNED

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Thank you Kedar!
Such a lovely Gypsy and Doggie morning!
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565581914.312572.jpg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565581927.955213.jpg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565581937.565443.jpg
Attachment 1904427
Attachment 1904428

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th August 2019 at 09:24.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 09:35   #593
BHPian

Quote:

I had forgotten how much torque the 1.0L actually has and was pleasantly surprised when it pulled without fuss in 4th at around 1300RPM (have a small gauge in the car).

Issues that were fixed:
  • A stubborn valve cover leak was fixed
  • Noisy tappets were adjusted to factory settings but the noise still hasn't completely gone on idle when the car is hot. I feels that the tappet adjustment screws need to be replaced
  • Rough noise from the diff or transfer case has disappeared with an oil change. Leaking diff seal was also fixed
  • Tattered door pads replaced with new boards and grey rexine
  • The main item was the AC which needed some work done on the refrigerant lines and cleaning of the blower unit which was a task in itself involving removing of the dashboard
    [*} Wiper washer wasn't working.I thought the motor had gone, but it seems the control from the stalk wasn't working??

Issues that need fixing:
  • A weak kingpin bearing need replacing. I sometimes get a shimmy while driving that goes when I lift off the throttle driving
  • The soft top needs to be replaced. Age and UV has made parts of it very brittle but I need to find a top that looks OE.
Hi kedar,
Congratulations for the beauty.
Would request you to shed light on owning MG410 versus MG413: FE, possibility of adding AC/ maintenance etc. I really need to add AC, else car would remain unusable for 8-9 months
I have been looking for a very long time. The only clean ones I see around my area are 1980's ones- typically costing 1-1.5 lakhs for decent condition
I understand that MPFI are the one to go for, hence have been waiting for years now.
Request others to chip in too
Old 12th August 2019, 10:52   #594
BANNED

So Green Spitfire has buzzed off to the garage after Kedar's diagnosis.
Starter Motor Solenoid Switch and Electrics.
And Driveline - Star Joint and Prop Shaft to be checked up.
Couple of other small fiddlies too.
I guess GreenSpitfire will be away for a few days till all this gets rectified.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 11:02   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Kedar!
Such a lovely Gypsy and Doggie morning!
Thanks for coming by. Was fun to catch up and find out we had common friends.
Old 12th August 2019, 11:10   #596
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for coming by. Was fun to catch up and find out we had common friends.

Its a small little old world isnt it?
Amazing.

Your family are lovely and your pets are very sweet.
And thanks a lot for the diagnosis which I have instantly acted on, on the way home.

Gypsy is back in the garage for these works...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 11:14   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi kedar,
Congratulations for the beauty.
Would request you to shed light on owning MG410 versus MG413: FE, possibility of adding AC/ maintenance etc. I really need to add AC, else car would remain unusable for 8-9 months
I have been looking for a very long time. The only clean ones I see around my area are 1980's ones- typically costing 1-1.5 lakhs for decent condition
I understand that MPFI are the one to go for, hence have been waiting for years now.
Request others to chip in too
I have only owned 410's, and haven't really driven the 413 enough to give you much advice. After driving Shankar's car this morning and comparing it my 410 I think we both agreed that the 410 is better for city use having a stronger bottom end. The 413 is much nicer if you are going to use it on the highway as it has a better top end and a 5th gear for better cruising.

I don't think the 410 will give you more than 9-10 kmpl in the city. Maybe Shankar can tell you how much his Gypsy sips.

You can easily add an AC to a Gypsy. I know someone who is putting a 2nd generation Swift AC in his half cab right now.

My mechanic friend helps me source parts, but please remember my Gypsy is used very sparingly and only in the city.

Quote:
Its a small little old world isnt it?
Amazing.

Your family are lovely and your pets are very sweet.
And thanks a lot for the diagnosis which I have instantly acted on, on the way home.

Gypsy is back in the garage for these works...
Thanks, you are welcome to take a few.

It was great fun getting our hands dirty and trouble shooting the problem. Glad we could get it started.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th August 2019 at 11:26. Reason: back to back posts merged.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 11:50   #598
BANNED

Quote:
I the 410 is better for city use having a stronger bottom end.

The 413 is much nicer if you are going to use it on the highway as it has a better top end and a 5th gear for better cruising.

I y. Maybe Shankar can tell you how much his Gypsy sips.

You can easily add an AC to a Gypsy. I know someone who is putting a 2nd generation Swift AC in his half cab right now.

It was great fun getting our hands dirty and trouble shooting the problem. Glad we could get it started.

Yes. Kedar's single owner 1986 410 is a whack to drive in the city because it chugs along nice and peaceful and has a very soft and pliable steering too. Yes it chugs along well on its own momentum in whatever gear because it has decent low end torque.
It lacks a 5th gear so it is a bit tough on highways.
I ve had two carburretted 410's so far and 2 Mpfi 413's.

The 413 is also fun in the city and on the highway because it is much more powerful and drives nicely with its 5th overdrive gear. It does lack low end grunt though and is built to be driven at higher speeds and / or in the hills where the engine is working off its higher revs on the twisties. The 5th gear is a big help.

it also performs fine enough in our stop go traffic in the city provided it is tuned properly and provided also that its driveline, prop shaft, star joints etc are in fine fettle along with its ignition coils and electrics.

Mine drives quite well in the city too. But it ll be even better once I get rid of this 'jerkiness' by examining the drive train and getting the requisite parts changed as needed. My steering is much harder than Kedar's.

My mech tells me that it is possible that Kedar's steering box gears are aged and thus well set but he also did say that my steering box may need a check and maybe even a change.

I ll see what happens this week and keep the group posted.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 12:20   #599
BHPian

I think the Monroe shocks on Shankar's car are totally worth the money. I felt the ride quality of his Gypsy was better than my 410. The 413 felt more planted at speed, and the ride felt more supple at slow speeds.

His 413 with the K&N has a very nice top end.
Old 12th August 2019, 13:34   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If the fuel pump has never been serviced, you can have it removed and tested/calibrated/serviced at the mico bosch service center on JC road.
Sorry, but this is misleading information. The Gypsy is a petrol vehicle. You cannot calibrate or service its fuel pump.The only option is replacement.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed