Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2023, 19:18   #781
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Is there a PDI checklist available in this forum that is specific to EVs? Please point me to the same if it exists. Alternatively if anyone has one available, it will be really helpful if it can be shared.
Thanks in advance.
yosbert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 12:41   #782
BHPian

Hello Team,

Do we have a specific PDI checklist and VIN decoder for BMW cars?

And is the general rule of thumb to pay the Ex-showroom price to the dealer before it's fair to ask for a PDI?

My concept of the PDI after reading several threads on this forum is that PDI is done mainly by the buyer however my BMW dealer mentions that the PDI is done by the dealer and they have a long-list of checklists themselves as they have a robust technical way of evaluating and checking all aspects of the car - the technical items, body issues etc. I am confused.

My car has arrived in the dealer's stockyard is what I have been told. I have asked the dealer for an inspection before I release any more funds.
Old 16th September 2023, 12:00   #783
Senior - BHPian

Kindly add Windscreen and rear Glass Distortion Check to the final inspection check list. A serious distortion case in a brand new Seltos reported here
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 19:42   #784
BHPian

Kindly add Sunroof Check, if it is not there. I took one list which did not have sunroof mentioned, but since it was drizzling, completely forgot about the sunroof. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 24th September 2023, 10:11   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Kindly add Windscreen and rear Glass Distortion Check to the final inspection check list. A serious distortion case in a brand new Seltos reported here
Thanks for posting this, it was very timely for me. Checked the Venue Knight Edition, September manufactured. Did not find any distortion thankfully.
Old 26th September 2023, 09:52   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
You asked the same question in febraury and the answer was in the next post.

Murthy
Hi,

Can you anyone provide me with the link to the updated PDI checklist of T-BHP as I am unable to find the same in the forum and have my delivery scheduled next week

Cheers!!
AutoAficionado
Old 27th September 2023, 11:25   #787
BHPian

Can you all please clarify one thing. Why is there so much emphasis on PDI in the stockyard vs the showroom, even when some delears say that stockyard is far away and they would bring the car to the showroom for PDI? Isn’t that a better option, before payment of course, as so many things may happen in the drive between stockyard and PDI? In my case when I was talking to NExa, they said they would get the car from Baramati to Pune city.

For my Hyundai I have done the PDI at stockyard and after 5 days they are telling you have to take the car quickly (as in inspection time during delivery) as PDI is already done.
Old 7th October 2023, 09:56   #788
BHPian

Worth checking manufacturing date on the tyres. One of my friends recently had a tyre damage on his 2yr old XL6 and failed to claim warranty as it had already expired. I don't remember the specifics but according to him it would have been under warranty if they didn't fit a very old tyre.
Old 25th November 2023, 19:08   #789

Just about to take delivery of a Honda Amaze, and did a PDI today. Sadly, things were out of my hand because my family went ahead and did full payment last week (just didn't pay for extra accessories). They also rushed through to registration because we needed the car soon. Today, when doing PDI, I found through the VIN that the car was manufactured in July. So that's 5 months. What would my options be here?

Is it bad to get a car that's 5 months old? It's got only 11kms on the odometer. There was rusting on the wheel discs.

They tried to weasel their way out, saying that's the chassis number, it takes longer to make the car, then transport it etc. There were also inconsistencies in what they said. One sales person said that the car is fresh from the company, at the most 1-2 weeks since they got it. But the manager said that they were clearing off stock from the August festival season (this is Kerala). I called them out on their inconsistencies. I said that 2-3 months was okay, but 5 months was a bit much, and they should have discussed it with me. Especially since I emphasised several times with the sales executive that I needed a fresh car. They were apologetic and said they'd look into reducing the accessories bill. Any advice really appreciated!
Old 26th November 2023, 02:47   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZittingCisticol View Post
Is it bad to get a car that's 5 months old? It's got only 11kms on the odometer. There was rusting on the wheel discs.
Well, think about it this way. Say you and your family were travelling to another country for 5 months and you’ll be back. Most likely you’d not want to sell your car, so it’ll stay unused for 5 months.

You’re unfortunately in a disadvantageous position but there is no need to get concerned in my opinion.

If it were me, I’d ask for another round of detailed inspection and check for any defects thoroughly. Make a detailed checklist, using all the features thats available in your variant etc. If the ODO is 11km, it hasn’t really moved much from the factory which is a good sign. New cars will be in this ballpark ODO only.

The obvious problems could be any panel repainted, dents, scratches etc. or there could be issues with battery etc. Start the car and see if it cranks properly.

If everything checks out, you can very well go ahead with it. You currently don’t have much leverage against the dealer because they’d have ensured the registration is done, but be positive. Use your existing position to do a thorough check so that you can accept the car tension free. 99% cases, it will be fine and minor issues can be sorted out.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 09:26   #791

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZittingCisticol View Post
Just about to take delivery of a Honda Amaze, and did a PDI today. Sadly, things were out of my hand because my family went ahead and did full payment last week (just didn't pay for extra accessories). They also rushed through to registration because we needed the car soon. Today, when doing PDI, I found through the VIN that the car was manufactured in July. So that's 5 months. What would my options be here?

They tried to weasel their way out, saying that's the chassis number, it takes longer to make the car, then transport it etc. There were also inconsistencies in what they said. One sales person said that the car is fresh from the company, at the most 1-2 weeks since they got it. But the manager said that they were clearing off stock from the August festival season (this is Kerala). I called them out on their inconsistencies. I said that 2-3 months was okay, but 5 months was a bit much, and they should have discussed it with me. Especially since I emphasised several times with the sales executive that I needed a fresh car. They were apologetic and said they'd look into reducing the accessories bill. Any advice really appreciated!
I would not be too worried about a 5 months old car as long as the other PDI checks pass. Rust particles on wheel discs may appear due to rainy season and the car being parked for a long time.

Recently when my son bought a Kiger, the showroom manager said the car just arrived at their yard from the manufacturer before doing car registration and the sales executives promised that it was a "fresh" car. When we checked the VIN, it was manufactured 4 months back! We googled on when a VIN is assigned to a car and found that it is generally assigned before the actual production of the car. Considering production time, quality checks, paper work, transportation to dealer yard, anything less than 6 months should be acceptable (assuming other PDI checks are ok)

The inconsistencies in what they are claiming may be due to various standpoints (manufacturing date, yard arrival date, etc). You can sure use this to ask for discounts but do not think there is any risk or problem in taking delivery of this car. Wishing you many amazing miles in your Amaze.
Old 27th November 2023, 19:48   #792
BHPian

A friend of mine is planning to buy a Honda City CVT. During the PDI, he figured out that the vehicle was manufactured in March 2023 and therefore he has put the registration on hold. The dealer had earlier told him that they would deliver a vehicle manufactured in the last 3-4 months. The odometer reading is some 35 km only though.

What should he do now?

1. Do not go ahead with the purchase because the car is about 9 months old.
2. Go ahead with the purchase but demand further discount. The original discount offered by the dealer was Rs 60000. This was a general discount and didn't consider the fact that the vehicle being sold is 9 months old.

Please advise.
Old 28th November 2023, 08:44   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus1975 View Post
2. Go ahead with the purchase but demand further discount. The original discount offered by the dealer was Rs 60000. This was a general discount and didn't consider the fact that the vehicle being sold is 9 months old.
I would suggest point#1. Hold the registration and demand a latest manufactured car. If dealer refuses then cancel the booking. All this if you are Ok with the delay in getting the vehicle. Had the dealer not shared the VIN before the PDI, you could have checked the manufacturing month then.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 10:44   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus1975 View Post
9 months feels a bit too long for a vehicle to remain unsold. Another BHPian also highlighted getting a 5 months old Honda Amaze - not sure if this is a thing among Honda dealers. While 5 months is still okay, 9 months sounds strange. Furthermore, in your friend's case the ODO is 35km which is slightly on the higher side - I'd check what ODO, other cars from the same dealer stands at (doesn't have to be City, any car would do). Typically in a major city, the vehicle would arrive directly from factory and the ODO should not be more than 15-20km.

For reference, my car had an ODO of 4km when I did the stockyard PDI. If the car was brought to the dealership showroom, this could be in the 10-15km ballpark which is okay to accept. Unless your friend is looking at a car which is in a Tier 2 city, the ODO should not be as high as 35km - seems like it has been moved around a bit.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 11:36   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Furthermore, in your friend's case the ODO is 35km which is slightly on the higher side
What I understand from my friend is that the car was brought to the showroom from the yard for the PD. The dealer, for whatever reason, didn't want to take him to the yard for inspection! I believe it should be the reason for the ~35 km on the odo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks