Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2022, 21:18   #721
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Would like to add the following points to the PDI checklist.

1. Fastag - ensure the sticker is pasted in the vehicle. As this is procured through the dealer the payment would have been included in the total payment. In my case, last week, I would have missed this as this wasn't in the original PDI checklist. Luckily the card was stapled to the invoice.

2. Carry a cancelled cheque and/or copy of passbook page with bank IFSC code, a/c number etc. This would be useful in applying for refund immediately in case payments exceed the total invoices value. Payment can exceed in certain cases like a) registration payment is a round sum whereas actual is much lower. b) dealer agrees to match the insurance and we pay up, but, in the last minute asks us to do the same by ourselves.
Capri89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 11:18   #722
BHPian

Cross-posting.

Folks seeing posts of dealerships rejecting requests for PDI. Is this allowed? Or do we have laws or avenues to contest this ( for sure this is not ethical)

From Xuv700 thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by harish11128 View Post
Hi Manoj,

Thanks for sharing this. I also have a booking with Zuleikha Motors Chennai. Looks like I have to be extra careful while taking delivery.
I was offered a vehicle by the SA yesterday(somebody else cancelled it). But SA didn’t agree for a PDI, so I rejected it. He said they received a communication from management yesterday to not allow PDIs at stock yard anymore due to some recent incident. I assume it’s due to the issues observed by you.
It wouldn’t be a surprise if they prohibit video/photo during PDI, if such a thing happens during my PDI, I would definitely take it up to M&M management.

I see that you have taken down your PDI video now. Would you be able to provide us the latest updates from dealership on this?
Old 21st August 2022, 16:00   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboNath View Post
Hello everyone.
6)The tires were also incorrectly fitted based on the tire joint sign
For my knowledge, can you plz advise what is it that is wrong here? I cant figure it out from the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
This is my first time with Toyota. Wanted to check if there's anything that I should be particular about?
How did your PDI go with Toyota? Can you plz share your experience?
hanzt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 16:09   #724
BHPian

Need Help!!

Hi All, I went with the checklist to do the PDI for the Toyota Urban Cruiser that has been assigned to me.
While everything otherwise seemed okay, one problem that I noticed was that - all the four doors did not close easily.. I mean, if you swung the door hard, then yes they would close, but if you gently swung it in a normal way, the doors would only close shut partially.
Initially I thought that is how the car is built, so I went inside the showroom to test the same on the two cars that were inside the showroom, and lo-behold, the doors of those cars shut perfectly when swung with the same/lesser force!!

So I raised this point with the SA & his supervisor, they gave me some rubbish reason that i do not buy - lower the windows and close (it worked actually), so due to air pressure difference, the doors are not closing properly when swung shut gently.
There is also another logic thrown at me - that the doors are new, so they will need some force to shut when new, but will later fall in place properly.

I demanded that they get the service-repair supervisor to have a proper look at the doors and advise if it needs fixing, but I am getting a feeling that this is just getting brushed off.

Can anyone plz advise if they have noticed this issue of doors not closing properly when swung shut with a normal/gentle swing at the time of PDI, or when their cars were new?

The car is already assigned to me & RTO work is also done, so I cant change the car, but plz advise what is it that i can check/look for, or ask the service supervisor to do, to fix this?

Another Issue:
Is it okay that the dealer does not provide any petrol in the tank? My assigned car is showing very low fuel with the 'low-fuel' warning light ON. They are saying there is still 2-3litres inside so I can drive to the nearest petrol pump, but shouldnt they give some decent amount of fuel (atleast 20%)?

Last edited by hanzt : 21st August 2022 at 16:35. Reason: added more points
Old 21st August 2022, 16:21   #725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzt View Post

...due to air pressure difference, the doors are not closing properly when swung shut gently.
Brezza when launched in 2016 had the same issue and my Brezza and that of many others still has the same thing. To shut a single door when others are closed, you need to use considerable force. So don't worry about it. It may or may not go away. But that is not an issue per se.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 16:33   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Brezza when launched in 2016 had the same issue and my Brezza and that of many others still has the same thing. To shut a single door when others are closed, you need to use considerable force. So don't worry about it. It may or may not go away. But that is not an issue per se.
Oh that is a relief to hear. But two questions:
1. In the last 6years (since 2016) shouldnt this issue have been fixed?
2. Why is it that this issue did not come up for the cars (UC) that were on display inside the showroom? Their doors would shut firmly with the thud with the slightest of swings.
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:42   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Need Help!!

While everything otherwise seemed okay, one problem that I noticed was that - all the four doors did not close easily.. I mean, if you swung the door hard, then yes they would close, but if you gently swung it in a normal way, the doors would only close shut partially.
I too did a PDI of my new Swift AGS last week. It had same exact issue. The front doors needed some amount of force to close.
The SA said its normal for new cars. This will get sorted automatically once the doors are used, in some days.
Brigadier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 16:43   #728
BHPian

Quote:

How did your PDI go with Toyota? Can you plz share your experience?
My PDI experience with Nandi Toyota in Bangalore was pretty seamless. The car was parked in their yard which was pretty far from Whitefield, where I stay. So they arranged a car to go & check the vehicle.

From a PDI standpoint, I can absolutely vouch for the Quality Controls in place at Toyota's plants. Couldn't pin point a single issue as such. One thing that I noticed that day for the very first time - the wheel archs don't have any cladding on the inside and that kind of looked cheap on a 30lakh car. Surprisingly, that's how they are built it seems. But overall, a nice experience.
Thumping Soul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 17:45   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
My PDI experience with Nandi Toyota in Bangalore was pretty seamless. The car was parked in their yard which was pretty far from Whitefield, where I stay. So they arranged a car to go & check the vehicle.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess the service levels differ when you are purchasing a 30L car vs a 11L one .

But can you also share your feedback on the fuel levels? - Is it okay that the dealer does not provide any petrol in the tank? My assigned car is showing very low fuel with the 'low-fuel' warning light ON. They are saying there is still 2-3litres inside so I can drive to the nearest petrol pump, but shouldn't they give some decent amount of fuel (atleast 20%)?
hanzt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 11:55   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I guess the service levels differ when you are purchasing a 30L car vs a 11L one .

But can you also share your feedback on the fuel levels? - Is it okay that the dealer does not provide any petrol in the tank? My assigned car is showing very low fuel with the 'low-fuel' warning light ON. They are saying there is still 2-3litres inside so I can drive to the nearest petrol pump, but shouldn't they give some decent amount of fuel (atleast 20%)?
Yeah, that's kind of a standard practice. Almost all dealers do the same. When I took the delivery it was near dry! The 'Distance Range' was just 21kms!
Thumping Soul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 16:45   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Need Help!!

Hi All, I went with the checklist to do the PDI for the Toyota Urban Cruiser that has been assigned to me.

Another Issue:
Is it okay that the dealer does not provide any petrol in the tank? My assigned car is showing very low fuel with the 'low-fuel' warning light ON. They are saying there is still 2-3litres inside so I can drive to the nearest petrol pump, but shouldnt they give some decent amount of fuel (atleast 20%)?
Regarding doors, didn't notice any such issue with my UC. But would take a re look.

Giving only 2 to 3 litres of fuel has become par for the course, given that it is a seller's market now. I remember, some years ago, dealers used to fill up the tank at the time of delivery to lure customers. But then, those were buyer's market.
Capri89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 18:07   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its always very less fuel in the tank during delivery. My suggestion, please pay them and ask them to fill up at least 10 liters. On the delivery day of my brother's car, the car did not even move out of the showroom when it died due to lack of petrol
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 18:49   #733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When I took delivery of my Crysta, the dealer got my signature on the delivery document which had an explicit line item saying they have provided 10 litres of fuel. When I turned the car on, the low fuel light was on, with DTE ~20 kms.

When confronted, the SA said they filled 10 litres when the car was unloaded and several kms were spent stockyard -> showroom -> showroom parking -> PDI etc. etc. Full marks for the SA's ingenuity.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 19:55   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Regarding doors, didn't notice any such issue with my UC. But would take a re look.
Can you also have a close look at your Bonnet? Once I got it home, it looked like there was a bigger gap between the bonnet and the side walls. Although everything looks aligned & in-line, I am not sure if this large gap (my finger almost fit in) is normal for the UC ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Giving only 2 to 3 litres of fuel has become par for the course, given that it is a seller's market now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
When confronted, the SA said they filled 10 litres when the car was unloaded and several kms were spent stockyard -> showroom -> showroom parking -> PDI etc. etc. Full marks for the SA's ingenuity.
Haha, I was told that the dealers dont and cant add any fuel anymore. Whatever comes, comes from the manufacturer themselves
Old 26th August 2022, 13:38   #735
BHPian

I just did the PDI for my XL6. The odo shows 154kms. Asked the SA, they said the car was driven from Malad to Pune. Car seems to be okay. There is some rusting around the alloy wheels but they said it's common. A/c was not cooling. I ran it for 10mins on lowest setting. I have to say it was very hot. Does that sound all right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks