Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2021, 18:07   #661
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetarin View Post
Hi All, need some suggestions with the situation I am in right now. I had booked a 5th Gen City (V, Petrol Manual) on 21st Jan in Kolkata and the SA promised that he could arrange the car by Mid March. Later, on 3rd March he informed me that Honda has not dispatched a single City for this month and hence things will be delayed till April. Of course, there's no guarantee that it would be provided in April too because there's is some shortage in Production, I was told! I said I will wait for the new car to arrive.

Today my Sales Advisor called again and told me a higher variant (VX) is available with him right now which is of Dec 2020 make. Just need a piece of advice here - is it prudent to buy one which is 60 days old? Of course I will do the PDI if I plan to get it.
Hello BHPians! Thank you so much on your inputs earlier on my queries. Happy to let this awesome family know that I completed the PDI of my vehicle successfully yesterday at Pinnacle Honda, Kolkata; armed with Team-BHP PDI checklist.
I finally knocked off the deal at 13.25L OTR, the initial quote was 13.57L. This includes the basic accessory kit as well. Other paid accessories I opted for are the step illuminations, front and rear bumper protector and a body cover. I could not make them throw in free accessories even after negotiating hard. They said that the market is in pretty bad shape and there is very high pressure on them to sell. Also, apparently, customers are willing to pay whatever the ask is, since there is an acute shortage of City in the city. Nevertheless, I am happy with whatever I am getting!

The car was manufactured on Nov 28, 2020 but conformed to all the PDI items. It was run for 30 kms when I checked the car. The Sales Advisor was extremely cooperative and dealt with me patiently. I have released the payment and am now expecting the delivery on the weekend of 20th/21st March.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-img_3121.jpeg  

meetarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 19:20   #662
AMT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Wow, they really seem to be going an extra mile to keep you happy! Enjoy that.

BTW, what car, and when did you book it?
Ford Endeavour booked on 22 February. They've lived up to the first part of sharing the VIN on dispatch.
AMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 17:11   #663
AMT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
It seems that the dealer is super generous towards you. Rarely do we ever hear dealers allowing customers to agree so easily. Also, I'd say to get it in writing so that the dealer doesn't turn on you later.
Dealer called asking if I'd like to be there at the time of unloading. Couldn't go for that but checked out the car in the stockyard and they've pretty much lived up to their commitment so far!
AMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 18:51   #664

Hi,

I am buying a new car. Planning for an inspection on Saturday and delivery on 30th March. The SA is asking me to clear all the dues by tomorrow.

I am of the view that I should hold of the registration amount, which I can clear post PDI. The SA has told me that I can pay full amount and he will generate the bill only on Saturday once the PDI is complete.

What's a good practice here
Old 24th March 2021, 23:43   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis_q View Post
Hi,

I am buying a new car. Planning for an inspection on Saturday and delivery on 30th March. The SA is asking me to clear all the dues by tomorrow.

I am of the view that I should hold of the registration amount, which I can clear post PDI. The SA has told me that I can pay full amount and he will generate the bill only on Saturday once the PDI is complete.

What's a good practice here
DO NOT pay anything more until you do the PDI. Reason = simple, What if the car is not upto the mark? Tell the SA that you will not pay anything until you inspect the car personally.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 09:50   #666

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and i'm so glad to be a part of one of the best auto community of the country.

Coming to the query, i had booked KIA SONET HTX MT DIESEL couple of weeks back. Initially, the time quoted by sales person was around 2 months and he could update anything on allotment by next 15 days.

All of a sudden i received a call from the salesperson (Tuesday) that, the dealer has arranged a car for me and when can i take the delivery (I have scheduled next week). I was pretty clear that there will be a PDI first and then the payment will be done only on the day of delivery after another PDI to ensure nothing has changed between those days.

Can any member tell me that is this is fine to go ahead and a normal practice (like someone might have cancelled/upgraded his/her booking)? My first step would be to check the VIN and get the production details to make sure it's 2021 model, but anything else i should be wary of? My only concern is to ensure the car is hassle free and better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks!
Old 25th March 2021, 15:44   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayan_ncr View Post
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and i'm so glad to be a part of one of the best auto community of the country.
Hi Nayan! Welcome to the forum!

Coming to your query, it isn't that hard for someone to actually cancel their booking or upgrade. But, to ensure that you're not going to get a lemon, go to the yard, check the VIN first. For you, I'll also recommend a cheap paint gauge and to keep an eye out for paint overspray to ensure that the dealer isn't selling you a incidental vehicle. Other than that, just follow the T-BHP PDI checklist and you should be good to go!
Old 25th March 2021, 16:45   #668

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hi Nayan! Welcome to the forum!

Coming to your query, it isn't that hard for someone to actually cancel their booking or upgrade. But, to ensure that you're not going to get a lemon, go to the yard, check the VIN first. For you, I'll also recommend a cheap paint gauge and to keep an eye out for paint overspray to ensure that the dealer isn't selling you a incidental vehicle. Other than that, just follow the T-BHP PDI checklist and you should be good to go!
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have visited the dealer today and had a look at the car (was so happy).
I had the VIN thing in my mind and quickly noted it down and took a snap of it along with engine and battery parts (to cross check on delivery).

The 17 digit VIN as decoded shows it to be a March 17 produced vehicle, so at that time i thought it eliminates possibility of damaged vehicle or as such. The salesperson claimed it was brought in last night only along with 2 other sonet.

Quick query: In Teambhp guide for Kia, it says a 19 digit VIN, but i think that there is a 17 digit one as well?

Apart from that i had opened the bonnet, checked for parts and coolants, etc nothing flashy visible there. Although the car was in dirt as most of them there, to which salesperson claimed that it happens in transit and was normal. Quickly checked AC, sunroof, trunk lights, updown mirror, door closing, bonnet closing, fuel lid, ODO (it was 7kms only). Regarding the paint job, i am not well versed to spot it at first, but any tips to have a look again i can go tomorrow?

I guess, good to go?
Old 26th March 2021, 11:40   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayan_ncr View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have visited the dealer today and had a look at the car (was so happy).
I had the VIN thing in my mind and quickly noted it down and took a snap of it along with engine and battery parts (to cross check on delivery).
Kia’s nowadays are usually coming with 17-digit VINs.
Again, paint depth can be checked with a paint gauge. Usually, the depth displayed on the gauge should be uniform throughout the vehicle.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 09:01   #670
BHPian

Hello Fellow Team-BHPians,

This weekend I have to go to my dealership (Landmark Jeep) for pre-registration PDI of my Jeep compass 2021. In my case the vehicle is being transported from a different city to Delhi by the dealership (From FCA plant it was delivered to Jalandhar Landmark jeep).

I went through this tread and understood that I've to check vehicle according to PDI checklist version 2.3, I'll be taking the checklist printout along. I've never done a detailed PDI as mentioned in checklist myself, so few queries:

- Paint jobs/repairs: Are there any cheap paint thickness gauges, all i saw on amazon are around 9-10K (that doesn't sound cheap to me ). Any references will be helpful. My definition of cheap was under 5K INR.

- Is there a definitive way to know if vehicle was used for test drives (given that it is being transported from another showroom, thus I wanted to check this)

Please note that dealership has shared with me vehicle number which shows March as manufacturing month, but still I want to do a detailed PDI. Any tips will be helpful
pankaj_9730 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:54   #671

Hi everyone!

Hope all of you and your families in the current COVID-19 situation.

Given the strict lockdown/ lockdown like situation across various states, I just wanted to check how all of you are doing the PDI while not being able to physically visit the stockyard?

Could you all suggest any particular tips to do a PDI without a physical inspection in the current scenario?
somaiya11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 13:15   #672

So I have booked a Jeep Compass 2021 Manual Limited (O) at KHT, Bangalore, and am very excited about it!

The full amount also has been disbursed to the dealer by the bank. While I have been insisting on doing a PDI, the dealer has been in a tearing rush to get me to sign on a blank Form 22 and get the registration done. He gave me a big lecture about how no one does PDI and what better PDI can we do than what the company already does. I had to put my foot down and make a fuss about what's the point of doing a PDI after registration etc, for the dealer to finally agree to one.

They are saying that the car will be bought to the showroom from the stockyard (because apparently there's no place to do the PDI at the stockyard!). I will take a guy friend along so that we are taken seriously (sigh!) and will have the Team-BHP PDI checklist but am a little concerned about the reluctance to do a PDI. Are they trying to sell me off an older/ test drive/ showroom vehicle? how do I check for it?

Last edited by Cheshire_Cat : 12th July 2021 at 13:30.
Cheshire_Cat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 14:05   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire_Cat View Post

While I have been insisting on doing a PDI, the dealer has been in a tearing rush to get me to sign on a blank Form 22 and get the registration done.

He gave me a big lecture about how no one does PDI and what better PDI can we do than what the company already does.

They are saying that the car will be bought to the showroom from the stockyard (because apparently there's no place to do the PDI at the stockyard!).

but am a little concerned about the reluctance to do a PDI. Are they trying to sell me off an older/ test drive/ showroom vehicle? how do I check for it?
To check if it is an older vehicle, check the VIN number and find out the manufacturing date from the Google search or Team-BHP. If the car has been manufactured in last one or two months, it is less likely to be a test car.

Also check the tyre condition. The unused tyres (or the ones which have been used only for 20 - 30 km) look new with the "rubber hair" on the rolling surface and shoulders still intact.

Inspect the car in broad daylight. Observe for any differences in the paint shades on various parts. Especially the bumpers, doors. Compare the exterior paint shade with interior. A good daylight is must for this and never agree for inspection in the evening.

Observe headlights and windshields for the scratches.

Observe the seats for any signs of sinking and for stains. Observe the floor carpet; is shall be totally clean. Observe the alloy wheels; there shall be no scratches or dents.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 12th July 2021 at 14:23.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 22:11   #674

Thank you so much Rahul for the detailed reply!

Finally did a PDI today, the VIN was from April this year. Followed all your guidelines - it was very helpful!

The tyres looked new with very less wear and tear. The odo showed 87 km but they said that's because it was driven for a test + came in from the stockyard. No paint flaws or scratches anywhere. There were minor scratches on the chrome which they said they will fix during buffing. Seats, wheels, carpet etc all looked fine.

So all good to go! Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
To check if it is an older vehicle, check the VIN number and find out the manufacturing date from the Google search or Team-BHP. If the car has been manufactured in last one or two months, it is less likely to be a test car.

Also check the tyre condition. The unused tyres (or the ones which have been used only for 20 - 30 km) look new with the "rubber hair" on the rolling surface and shoulders still intact.

Inspect the car in broad daylight. Observe for any differences in the paint shades on various parts. Especially the bumpers, doors. Compare the exterior paint shade with interior. A good daylight is must for this and never agree for inspection in the evening.

Observe headlights and windshields for the scratches.

Observe the seats for any signs of sinking and for stains. Observe the floor carpet; is shall be totally clean. Observe the alloy wheels; there shall be no scratches or dents.
Cheshire_Cat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 13:12   #675
BHPian

Cross posting from the EcoSport Titanium thread. Thanks everyone for the Checklist. It helped us be well organized during the PDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
With my friend at FORD JSP Hosur Road sales outlet for a PDI of his Titanium EcoSport and had a few doubts that we would appreciate some help on.

For some reason, we see a little bit of dried mud on top of the Engine case.
Does anyone know what could be the reason for this?

We see white paste right where the engine and body meet. As far as I know this is normal but my friend is concerned because it's white paste on a white color car.

None of his doors align perfectly with the door sill. The EcoSport standing next to his is perfect. However, the deviation for all his doors is the same.

His bluetooth system doesn't seem to accept our Chinese phones (Redmi for my friend and Oppo A5 for me) for playing music. Bluetooth calls work fine.

I am attaching pics for all these except the last item. Can members please help and let us know if this is ok?

He is planning to pay the full amount today afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-img20210714120519.jpg  

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-img20210714120457.jpg  

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-img20210714120910.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks