Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2006, 10:14   #706
Senior - BHPian

Can someone help me with Neon wire and LED prices??.. I have the Audison pricelist.
Old 12th September 2006, 10:37   #707
Team-BHP Support

Speaker of lightigng and amplifiers has anyone here heard of the Red Light District.

THe RLD is a tube amp (EL84 I believe) that uses 84 red LEDs for biasing. the 84 LEDs can be arranged to spell anything one desires. The red LEDs can be replaced by Blue, Green or Yellow LEDs but the quanitiy of LED's woudl differ in each case.
Old 12th September 2006, 13:00   #708
Senior - BHPian

Here are some snaps of the Hertz 3W.30 crossover!!.. They are BEEFY and HEAVY... the thing FILLs my PAW - and I tell you - I have a rather large PAW !!

The Pakaging - Impressive!

THE INNARDS!! ... NAVIN ... TELL US WHAT YOU SEE

Last edited by kb100 : 12th September 2006 at 13:03.
Old 12th September 2006, 13:19   #709
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
THE INNARDS!! ... NAVIN ... TELL US WHAT YOU SEE
I see many moons of pleasant sounds!
Old 12th September 2006, 13:22   #710
BANNED

Kb khush hua!
Just waiting for the install.
Old 12th September 2006, 13:46   #711
Team-BHP Support

Just kidding seems like the XO is a almost 2nd order 3 way. I say almost becuase the woofer is 1st order. that said I am surprised that the midrnage caps (LP and HP) are electrolytic; the tweeeter cap (the yellow 2.2uf one) is poly which is nice. The midrange and tweeter levels can be adjusted +2, 0, -2db (see resistance values).

woofer inductor looks like about 2mH (deducted from gauge of wire, length/dia of coil) and I assume the LP inductor on the midrange would be similar (the other sleeping inductor).

Build is above average (I've seen better).

Last edited by navin : 12th September 2006 at 13:47.
Old 12th September 2006, 14:39   #712
Senior - BHPian

Here is the wiring diag... What does this tell you Navinji...

Is the XO sound??

How will one know if the caps are electolytic or not? .. and if so what will the effect be on mid and woofer section?

Last edited by kb100 : 12th September 2006 at 14:40.
Old 12th September 2006, 14:47   #713
Senior - BHPian

the woofer is first order low pass filter (6db per octave) and the mid and the high are 2nd order high pass filter (12db per octave)....

electolytic are those which are filled with dielectric in them they are normally seen in this shape...they can be with a polarity type and there are those without polarity in them as seen in the pics below....

this one is a polyster cap....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 12th September 2006 at 15:00.
Old 12th September 2006, 15:06   #714
Senior - BHPian

Ahain... Other than the fact that Poly Caps seems to be in YELLOW how else dows one distinguish one from the other??? .. for instance the blue one also is similar looking but for the colour..
Old 12th September 2006, 15:15   #715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
the woofer is first order low pass filter (6db per octave) and the mid and the high are 2nd order high pass filter (12db per octave).......
LBM, i think I mentioned this before.

QUOTE=kb100]
Is the XO sound??

How will one know if the caps are electolytic or not? .. and if so what will the effect be on mid and woofer section?[/quote]

Any XO is designed to complement a particular set of drivers. Generic XOs are sometimes used but dont sound as XOs that are designed keeping in mind the characteristcs of the woofers, midranges, tweeters (loosely called drivers) they are suppsoed to be used with.

I said before the XO is above average in build. How it will sound I can only tell after listenining. Build and Sound quality are only loosely related.

In general electrolytic caps tend to sound a little rougher than polystyrene/polyester caps. However poly caps are big and expensive and hence a common workaround is to use a bigger electrolytic cap and bypass it with a smaller poly cap.

The "roughness" I talk about is fortunately most noticeable in the upper freq (abvoe 2.5K would be a good estimate) and caps for these freq are generally small enough to make poly caps viable. I would safely say that caps smaller than 4.7uf (63V/100V) could be easily replaced with poly and for larger caps one can use a 0.47uf or 1uf bypass cap (so a 11uf cap can be made using a 10uf electrolytic paralleled by a 1uf bypass). In home audio where space is not at such a premium this compromise is not nessecary.

That said I must mention that many well regarded speaker brands (home and car audio) use electrolytics. Mostly as a cost saving measure. Since I am not limited by these issues I rarely use electrolytics under 20uf but I am not normal. I build stuff only for myself not for commercial consumption.
Old 12th September 2006, 15:44   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ahain... Other than the fact that Poly Caps seems to be in YELLOW how else dows one distinguish one from the other??? .. for instance the blue one also is similar looking but for the colour..
normally the built shape gives us a lot of the info...

the electoryte are made in aluminium cover and sealed through the ends with rubber cap ...and normaly in round cylindrical shape with connecting wires coming out of the base or both the side....also the size is smaller if compared with the size of a similller value poly cap.....

the color I think is not the standard but the values are normally written on the cap.....unlike the resister which uses a color code to decode the value.....

by the above comments the pioneer crossover is also well made....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 12th September 2006 at 15:45.
Old 12th September 2006, 15:50   #717
Senior - BHPian

My question - How to recongise one from teh other remains..

What I meant by "is the XO sound" was in terms of built quality and materials - "air core" etc.

IN this case looks like the poly cap has been given on the tweeter circuit - therefore eliminating the problem you mentioned..

Is the effect onthe lower frequencies goign to be drastic enough to warrant a change? .. the other two values are 15 uf and 4.7uf .. can these be safely replaced?? - this will not effect the circuit in any way (inductance/impedance matching etc) would it??

Last edited by kb100 : 12th September 2006 at 15:53.
Old 12th September 2006, 16:12   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arre yaar, what you want to do by telling one from the other?

Anyway, mostly electrolytics have 'tangdis' (legs) on the same side of the cylinder rather than on opposite sides, but this is not always true. They also have a strip running down their side which indicates the negative terminal for an electrical circuit. Most paralytics are also like that, but the tangdis dont do much.

Electrolytic capacitors are easy to squeeze and deform. I've had lots of fun doing that.

Quote:
What I meant by "is the XO sound" was in terms of built quality and materials - "air core" etc.
Was that a question or an answer?

Quote:
Is the effect onthe lower frequencies goign to be drastic enough to warrant a change? .. the other two values are 15 uf and 4.7uf .. can these be safely replaced?? - this will not effect the circuit in any way (inductance/impedance matching etc) would it??
If Navin were you, I'm sure the crossovers would be sporting a whole new look that even the designer from Hertz would find it difficult to recognize them.

Yeah, usually upgrading capacitors is quite simple as long as you know what replacements to use, and the space permits it.
Old 12th September 2006, 16:15   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

IN this case looks like the poly cap has been given on the tweeter circuit - therefore eliminating the problem you mentioned..

kb why are u going in such minute details the crossover is well bulit why take tension......

Or

ur planing to mod the crossover like Navin Ji to get what u want....

Or

If you are going active then why bother about the crossover......

the 15 micro farad and the 4.7 micro farad is used in the midrange driver.If they we be a poly type the size would be huge and it will not fit in this crossover.....

so dont go in finer details power up the system and tell us all how it is sounding......
Old 12th September 2006, 16:17   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
by the above comments the pioneer crossover is also well made....

THis one also seems to have followed the same philosophy... Poly cap on the tweet and electrolytic on the midbass circuit..

Last edited by kb100 : 12th September 2006 at 16:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks