Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2018, 23:12   #226
BHPian

Re: Android Auto update for owners of Maruti's older SmartPlay Infotainment System

The problem with Android Auto is also related to the Android skins that companies put on their own Android version. OnePlus has major issues with Android Auto. Given the sheer amount of tweaks made to MI phones - this too could be a problem. If you wish to use Android Auto a lot, I'd recommend going with firms which offer a vanilla/stock Android phone - Nokia, Motorola, Pixel etc.

Been using Waze instead of Google Maps on Android Auto - really like it.
Old 18th January 2018, 12:43   #227
BHPian

Re: Android Auto update for owners of Maruti's older SmartPlay Infotainment System

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
The problem with Android Auto is also related to the Android skins that companies put on their own Android version. OnePlus has major issues with Android Auto. Given the sheer amount of tweaks made to MI phones - this too could be a problem. If you wish to use Android Auto a lot, I'd recommend going with firms which offer a vanilla/stock Android phone - Nokia, Motorola, Pixel etc.

Been using Waze instead of Google Maps on Android Auto - really like it.
I'm sorry to inform you. But, your first statement is entirely incorrect - Android Auto is controlled by Google. No ROM maker can control it. Unfortunately, there is no way to install it as a system app like it should be. I'm a ROM tester - i can assure you that a ROM dev has no control whatsoever over AA. The second part is not entirely true either it's a matter of how Android handles permissions. I've been annoyed by this for a while; OOS 5 has fixed a lot of issues but there are still gremlins in there created by Google. I have both Mi and OP phones in the house and have never had issues with connections. PROVIDED - you give all the proper control permissions to AA. It needs the following
Phone / SMS / Location / Calendar / Contacts / Microphone / Draw over other apps / Control lock Screen / Notification listener access / Do Not disturb Access

Without Notification Listener / DND / Lock Screen / Phone control
Especially on a Mi device it will fail to show calls and/or messages and will fail / crash randomly. Mi is far more security oriented funnily enough than most others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
Hello Dr,

1. Mode switch on the steering does not work when AA is connected. However you can use the next previous button.

2. System seems slow to boot up. I can hear the audio (be it radio/BT or what ever mode it is in), then I can see the smart play menu items

Cheers
Mode switching does not work because the phone in AA mode controls the following completely -
Audio
Screen
Telephony
Post 1750 update - my device streams via USB Audio. which explains why you can't use mode control as there is no AA-USB Audio entry in the Audio sources section of the HU. Clearly an oversight by Bosch.
you have to manually switch to Tuner/BT/SD Card mode - the mode will work for a short period of time. Have you reset the HU post update. Post 1 has the link to post update guidelines at the bottom.

Last edited by valhallen.282 : 18th January 2018 at 12:55. Reason: typos
Old 18th January 2018, 13:11   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
I'm sorry to inform you. But, your first statement is entirely incorrect - Android Auto is controlled by Google. No ROM maker can control it. Unfortunately, there is no way to install it as a system app like it should be. I'm a ROM tester - i can assure you that a ROM dev has no control whatsoever over AA. The second part is not entirely true either it's a matter of how Android handles permissions. I've been annoyed by this for a while; OOS 5 has fixed a lot of issues but there are still gremlins in there created by Google. I have both Mi and OP phones in the house and have never had issues with connections. PROVIDED - you give all the proper control permissions to AA. It needs the following
Phone / SMS / Location / Calendar / Contacts / Microphone / Draw over other apps / Control lock Screen / Notification listener access / Do Not disturb Access

Without Notification Listener / DND / Lock Screen / Phone control
Especially on a Mi device it will fail to show calls and/or messages and will fail / crash randomly. Mi is far more security oriented funnily enough than most others.

Mode switching does not work because the phone in AA mode controls the following completely -
Audio
Screen
Telephony
Post 1750 update - my device streams via USB Audio. which explains why you can't use mode control as there is no AA-USB Audio entry in the Audio sources section of the HU. Clearly an oversight by Bosch.
you have to manually switch to Tuner/BT/SD Card mode - the mode will work for a short period of time. Have you reset the HU post update. Post 1 has the link to post update guidelines at the bottom.
I should have been clearer. I never stated that anyone but Google controls AA. I said that the problem arises out of the OS layers developed by the cell companies on top of Stock Android.

Do Google "Android Auto compatibility issues". Because Android Auto is controlled by Google, to mitigate any compatibility issues it makes sense to use stock Android..
Old 21st January 2018, 16:34   #229
BHPian

Could someone help me troubleshoot this problem..?

The Baleno is driven by my better half for her daily commute. She ranted about this and I just couldn't solve the problem...

Issue: No navigation instructions heard in Google Maps with an Apple iphone 5 SE.

Why the need for Google Maps when the car's an Alpha CVT? Because, there are 2 potential routes possible to my home from my wife's place of work. Sometimes one is significantly faster than the other and Google Maps throws that up. Also, my toddler son screams in the car seat in a traffic jam. The MapMyIndia software always shows the same route - not sure if it senses traffic at all. Am I wrong here..?

Further information:

1. Basics are in place - Google Maps has navigation audio at 'loudest' setting, at the start of navigation, the audio icon is clicked etc.

2. Apple Carplay has no support for Google Maps...any workaround?

3. Bluetooth works well for telephony.

4. When I had google maps open and paired the phone, it sometimes works. If I open Google Maps post pairing, it doesn't work. This is most irritating..

5. As an aside, is there any way for the love of God that Radio/USB can be turned OFF? We don't really want the din of a Radio RJ/song during navigation, just the navigation voice.

Please help! Would an update really help considering there's no android usage anyway..

Last edited by d_himan : 21st January 2018 at 17:01.
Old 22nd January 2018, 01:04   #230
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, Apple CarPlay is just a fancy addition or feature that is added onto this smart play device of Maruti which is utter disappointment IMHO!

MSIL - how many of your customers use CarPlay to play music or calls? I do not have the factual data with me. But, these basic things can be done using Bluetooth as well.

Like my friend above has commented, gmaps are the most or widely used map app which is accurate all the time but your so called smart play doesn’t support GMAPS through CarPlay whilst it supports in android auto. What difference or advantage does this give to the consumers?

I was hoping the latest version would support GMAPS (unless I’m mistaken) on 1750 update but to my dismay I don’t see it. My system running on 1750 isn’t crisp yet. There’s noticeable lag I feel while switching radio stations. I feel you could’ve done better with the system.
Old 22nd January 2018, 01:47   #231
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Frankly, Apple CarPlay is just a fancy addition or feature that is added onto this smart play device of Maruti which is utter disappointment IMHO!

MSIL - how many of your customers use CarPlay to play music or calls? I do not have the factual data with me. But, these basic things can be done using Bluetooth as well.

Like my friend above has commented, gmaps are the most or widely used map app which is accurate all the time but your so called smart play doesn’t support GMAPS through CarPlay whilst it supports in android auto. What difference or advantage does this give to the consumers?

I was hoping the latest version would support GMAPS (unless I’m mistaken) on 1750 update but to my dismay I don’t see it. My system running on 1750 isn’t crisp yet. There’s noticeable lag I feel while switching radio stations. I feel you could’ve done better with the system.
That's a good rant you've written but it's misdirected. Its not Maruti's fault that Carplay doesn't have Google Maps. That's what Apple has chosen. They support their own maps on carplay which sadly don't support navigation in India. Maruti can never help you with this.
Old 22nd January 2018, 06:08   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Please help! Would an update really help considering there's no android usage anyway..
When my OP3T refused to work with AA, I decided to turn my old OnePlus One to a dedicated navigation device. The OnePlus One plugged into AA and is permanently connected to the Head Unit. It gets it internet from a tethered connection from the OP3T. This used to work flawlessly for me. If you have an unused android phone, you can turn that into a dedicated navigation device. You can even go one step further and equip it with a Jio sim for seamless data on that device.
govigov is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:29   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
When my OP3T refused to work with AA, .....
Just wondering why did your OP3T not work with Android Auto? I had flashed 1740 in July and mine used to work with AA, although 1740 was buggy. I've not faced any issue with 1750. What issue do you face?
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:05   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Just wondering why did your OP3T not work with Android Auto? I had flashed 1740 in July and mine used to work with AA, although 1740 was buggy. I've not faced any issue with 1750. What issue do you face?
I was on an Oreo beta on the OP3T and that did not work. I tried switching back to noughat and this was also a failure. It would connect occasionally, but it would then stop working randomly and would only start working after a restart of the car.
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:20   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was on an Oreo beta on the OP3T and that did not work. I tried switching back to noughat and this was also a failure. It would connect occasionally, but it would then stop working randomly and would only start working after a restart of the car.
Ok. I was on stock Noughat but now on stock Oreo. No issues as yet.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 14:56   #236
BHPian

Quote:
my GF was on the Oreo BETA - we've now moved to release to stop messing with the OS constantly. Same as BoneCollector has said - it works perfectly. My 5 has recently also been having issues with connection. Normally though a full HU/Phone reboot fixes it. Sometimes either one; sometimes both.

However, my OP's have never worked with the stock USB-C cable on either a friend's S-Cross or my Ignis. I suspect something about the way the cable is setup. MY braided USB-C cable has also now started giving issues. Don't know where the problem might be...
valhallen.282 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 18:41   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Could someone help me troubleshoot this problem..?
I have never used an iPhone in my car. However, posting from my experience in Android.

I had the same problem of the directions not being read out on the vehicle infotainment system (S Cross Zeta), when my phone was connected via Bluetooth (BT) to the infotainment system. I noticed this on multiple phones.

Finally, what I did was disabled the option where media was being read out over BT. In Android, it was done by accessing the phone settings > BT > the vehicle infotainment system entry (in the list of connected BT devices) and unchecking media from the list of options.

This ensured that the phone speakers read out the directions, while calls can be attended over BT.

I think it should ensure that you will be able to hear voice guidance from Google Maps, while the phone is still connected to the vehicle BT.

Hope you are able to translate the steps into iOS.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 23:16   #238
BHPian

I recently got the HU upgraded in my SCross 1.3 Zeta from V750 to V1750.2 version in MS service centre. I have a Moto G5 Plus running stock/vanilla Android. The Android OS version is 7.0 (Nougat). I am using stock USB cable which came with the phone to connect the phone to the HU.

Although Android Auto works very well for the most part, I still have a lot of connection problems. Many times the HU will not turn on the Android Auto mode even if the phone is connected to the USB port inside the handrest. The phone indicates that it is charging and that it is connected to USB (can be seen after pulling down the notifications bar) but AA does not work.

Two scenarios where this issue occurs:-
1. Connect the phone to HU. Android Auto works fine. Now I disconnect the phone and reconnect it again while the car is running. The HU does not detect the Android Auto mode now. I tried disconnect-reconnect almost 4-5 times. No change. Only if I turn off the car entirely, wait for a minute and turn on the car using push button, it MIGHT work. I tried a few tricks like killing the Android Auto process on the phone and changing the connection priority on HU from AA to MirrorLink and back, hoping that it would trigger some change in state of the HU. But there was no effect.

2. Connect the phone to HU. AA works fine. Then I encounter a traffic signal and decide to switch off the car. Later, when I turn on the vehicle, the HU turns on but AA does not work. And at that moment of time, it is not possible for me to attempt to open the hand rest and reconnect the phone.

Given my setup (Moto G5 Plus with stock Android, stock USB cable) and my attempts to restart AA process on the phone which yielded no result, I am inclined to believe that there might be an issue with the HU.

Does anybody have an issue like this?
Old 30th January 2018, 12:36   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
That's a good rant you've written but it's misdirected. Its not Maruti's fault that Carplay doesn't have Google Maps. That's what Apple has chosen. They support their own maps on carplay which sadly don't support navigation in India. Maruti can never help you with this.
missed to see your response buddy. thanks for fixing my understanding. I was under the impression maps are supported by the system developers i.e. Bosch in this instance. Sadly I had to put the rant on MSIL

Aftermarket Pioneer systems have maps in carplay is what I have heard.

Besides the maps, the latest update seems to be acting a bit erratic in my car. Its laggy and when I play music through Bluetooth, there's intermittent loss of connection between the device and the car. This wasn't the case with me in the previous version as it was working like charm. Radio station switch does feel laggy as well. Don't know if i've to reboot the device with a new firmware again
Old 30th January 2018, 12:49   #240
BHPian

Got my Baleno serviced this weekend and got the AA upgrade done. It seems to be working perfectly through my OP3. There is a very slight lag when dialing numbers or moving around maps but nothing of note. Volume level has reduced slightly while using google play music but no apparent drop in SQ. I was a little disappointed that the Voice control button on steering wheel does not work (learned later from a fellow Bhpian that one has to depress and hold to get it to work.) However it is not needed since the 'OK Google' command works using the car mic, neat! Driving around town asking Google questions was quite fun.

Will now have to transfer music to SD card and then see if any SQ difference.

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks