Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2017, 08:58   #721
Senior - BHPian

Folks need some suggestion. I'm moving on from my 2 din JVC Bluetooth head unit and looking to replace it with a HU that supports apple car play. There are only a handful of options in India thru pioneer and Sony, and all of them are quite highly priced. Saw a new Sony HU which was costing about 23k. On the other hand I have heard something about app radio which pioneer offers in a HU that doesn't have apple car play. My question is what does app radio do?
My requirement is simple, want to mirror as many apps in my iphone to the HU as possible. Especially google maps and may be others like WhatsApp etc. Is there a solution available?

Thanks!
Old 4th February 2017, 12:53   #722
Senior - BHPian

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Folks need some suggestion. I'm moving on from my 2 din JVC Bluetooth head unit and looking to replace it with a HU that supports apple car play. There are only a handful of options in India thru pioneer and Sony, and all of them are quite highly priced. Saw a new Sony HU which was costing about 23k. On the other hand I have heard something about app radio which pioneer offers in a HU that doesn't have apple car play. My question is what does app radio do?
My requirement is simple, want to mirror as many apps in my iphone to the HU as possible. Especially google maps and may be others like WhatsApp etc. Is there a solution available?

Thanks!
Sorry but you dont have a option really. Apple CarPlay doesnt allow you to mirror Whatsapp or Google Maps - they will only allow Messages & Apple Maps (which btw doesnt have navigation in India). Pioneer App Radio is also useless - it only allows very few random apps to mirror on the HU.
Old 8th February 2017, 09:48   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

When driving in city, I frequently switch off the engine ( when the stop at a signal is long). When the engine is re-started, power is cut-off from the HU. If a USB drive is used in such conditions, does the drive go bad ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 13:07   #724
BHPian

Almost all of the flash based drives have a finite number of write cycles. To reduce the write cycles (not the amount of data), the computer do not write the data onto the drive as soon as you WRITE to disk. The actual writing take place when there is enough data or when you eject the disk. So, if you remove the disk without ejecting, the disk might get corrupted as it might be in the middle of writing.

What this also means is, the corruption if happens, happens only if you have WRITTEN some data onto the disk.

In a car HU, there is no writing, hence the disk should not get corrupted when you switch off and switch on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
When driving in city, I frequently switch off the engine ( when the stop at a signal is long). When the engine is re-started, power is cut-off from the HU. If a USB drive is used in such conditions, does the drive go bad ?
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 13:13   #725
Distinguished - BHPian

HU is an Alpine KDE-126BT
Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
What this also means is, the corruption if happens, happens only if you have WRITTEN some data onto the disk.
I dont think so.

The drive is good when written on, and even used after that ( as per condition mentioned above). Later, when I put the drive into a comp, I get a message asking for the drive to be scanned & problems fixed. Some other pen drives go bad straight away.

Number of write cycles is also minimum.
Old 27th April 2017, 14:20   #726
BHPian

Does anyone have experience with after-market products like these?

Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-20170105112454_88104.jpg

Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-20170105112457_72695.jpg

SOURCE: http://www.gearbest.com/gps-navigation/pp_593112.html
Old 18th May 2017, 12:19   #727
BHPian

Will the 2016/2017 City ICE be fitted to the 2012 City? I am getting a sweet deal from a close friend, hence this ask.
Old 18th May 2017, 15:04   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

I doubt if the drive will get damaged but your starter surely will. Unless you are stopping for long durations it is not advisable to keep turning the car off. The load on the starter and everything else including electronics to restart the engine every time is really not worth it.
Old 4th July 2017, 11:01   #729
BHPian

Gurus,

I have an Innova Type 2 (MYE2011). This comes with steering mounted controls but the head unit is quite ancient. Is it possible to replace the head unit alone while retaining the steering mounted controls functionality, which I find very very useful.

My 2 most-important objectives are

1. Mirror Google Maps on my phone to the head unit for navigation.
2. Retain steering mounted controls functionality.

Is this possible?
Old 5th July 2017, 01:21   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Gurus,

I have an Innova Type 2 (MYE2011). This comes with steering mounted controls but the head unit is quite ancient. Is it possible to replace the head unit alone while retaining the steering mounted controls functionality, which I find very very useful.

My 2 most-important objectives are

1. Mirror Google Maps on my phone to the head unit for navigation.
2. Retain steering mounted controls functionality.

Is this possible?
Yes, you can. Most new hu's have the feature of retaining steering controls but you have to buy a module for that separately which the guys at the shop will tell you about.
Old 18th July 2017, 18:27   #731
BHPian

Re: Blaufunkt 'Adelaide 130' NOT reading pen drive!

The Blaufunkt 'Adelaide 130' HU on my Alto is NOT recognizing Pen Drives.

I took it to the reliance digital shop, where it was sourced. The guy there tried out few permutation and combinations and washed his hands off(out of warranty).

The FM and Aux works, as it should, but the USB socket is NOT reading out the pen drives.(BTW, the pen drives are of 'FAT32' file format)

Am I missing something here? Please advise.

Last edited by JMaruru : 18th July 2017 at 18:28.
Old 18th July 2017, 18:50   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

I took it to the reliance digital shop, where it was sourced. The guy there tried out few permutation and combinations and washed his hands off(out of warranty).

The FM and Aux works, as it should, but the USB socket is NOT reading out the pen drives.(BTW, the pen drives are of 'FAT32' file format)

a lot of usb drives come with additional utilities which make it appear as a non standard device (U3 for example)

you may need to remove them depending on the brand of the usb drive
Old 18th July 2017, 19:32   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also check if there is a size limitation on the usb drive. Try with smaller sizes.
Old 18th July 2017, 20:48   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
a lot of usb drives come with additional utilities which make it appear as a non standard device (U3 for example)

you may need to remove them depending on the brand of the usb drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Also check if there is a size limitation on the usb drive. Try with smaller sizes.
The same pen drive plays on our other car. The size of the drives are 2 and 4 GB and both have just the music folders. I wonder what might have happened here.
Old 18th July 2017, 21:54   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The same pen drive plays on our other car. The size of the drives are 2 and 4 GB and both have just the music folders. I wonder what might have happened here.
if none of the pen drives are not recognized, and the same pen drives work on other headunits, then the problem maybe with head unit. Is your head unit under warranty?

Can you connect a mobile phone to the USB port and see if it gets charged?
Do you see any messages in HU when pen drives are connected?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks