Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2018, 13:59   #841
BHPian

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Please also consider the Kenwood mono-block (I think it is called the 917D) along with the Blaupunkt.
OK I will change the slope.

Regarding amp that you are refering, it is Kenwood KAC-PS917D, it is rated at 500 Watt RMS @ 4 ohms and 1000 watt @ 2 ohms.
http://www.kenwood.com/india/car/spe...plifier/pm_ps/

Whereas my sub is 4 ohm DVC, 300 Watt RMS and 600 Watt peak. Still should I go ahead with this kenwood amp? Please forgive me, I am a newbie when it comes to ICE, no technical knowledge.

Refer below image for detailed specifications of my sub:
Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-sub_specifications.jpg
Old 14th May 2018, 15:51   #842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Romeo1 View Post
Regarding amp that you are refering, it is Kenwood KAC-PS917D, it is rated at 500 Watt RMS @ 4 ohms and 1000 watt @ 2 ohms.

Whereas my sub is 4 ohm DVC, 300 Watt RMS and 600 Watt peak.
Yeah don't worry. The subwoofer will draw as much as it needs.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 18:38   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah don't worry. The subwoofer will draw as much as it needs.
Navinji, my installer does not stock Kenwood amps, still he said he will try to source it.

I spoke with Nippon guy who are distributor for Kenwood, as per him this amp is not available right now. Instead he can give me Kenwood KAC 9105D, which is older version of the amp you have recommended. What are your views on this amp?
Old 15th May 2018, 11:31   #844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Instead he can give me Kenwood KAC 9105D, which is older version of the amp you have recommended. What are your views on this amp?
The 9105D is a pretty decent amp. I cant remember the specs but I remember it to be a good VFM monoblock.
Old 15th May 2018, 11:47   #845
BHPian

Quote:
The 9105D is a pretty decent amp. I cant remember the specs but I remember it to be a good VFM monoblock.
I just spoke with distributor of Kenwood in my area.

As per him latest amp available is Kenwood KAC-9105d, even KAC-9106d is not yet imported in India. Prima facie it seems that I wont be able to lay my hands on KAC-PS917d.

He is offering me KAC-9105d for 14.5k. Should I go ahead and get it? Or you will suggest some different amp in this budget? Kindly guide!

And yes, once I change the slopes of subwoofer, there is drastic change in sound from subwoofer, when I keep it to -18db/octave slope, there is no lag for particular fast song. You have made my day. (errr... yesterday). So as per my understanding there was no lag from subwoofer as such however there was extended session of bass from subwoofer which was perceived as lag. And reversing the phase of sub also gives me further improvement which I was unable to feel with -30 db slope. Thanks, Thanks a lot!
Alfa_Romeo1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 15:28   #846
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He is offering me KAC-9105d for 14.5k. Should I go ahead and get it? Or you will suggest some different amp in this budget? Kindly guide!

And yes, once I change the slopes of subwoofer, there is drastic change in sound from subwoofer, when I keep it to -18db/octave slope, there is no lag for particular fast song. You have made my day. (errr... yesterday).Thanks, Thanks a lot!
You are welcome. That's what we are here for.

14.5k is a fair price. The list price used to be 17k last time I checked.
navin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 17:12   #847
BHPian

I have a 2 Channel Alpine Amplifier along with a 1000W JBL Bass tube which I had installed in my previous car. I have recently upgraded and while selling the old car i took the amplifier and bass tube out.

Amplifier Model : Alpine V12 MRV-T502
Bass Tube : 1000W Bass Reflex Tube

Couple of queries -
  • Should I get it installed in my new car or sell it off. Any complications w.r.t. vibrations in the panels with prolonged usage?
  • I do not have the wiring for both, is there any shop in Bangalore where they can do it or should I get it done at NEXA service station (in my case) and purchase the wiring outside separately.
  • I find the stock music player good enough but since I already have it - I am planning to plonk it in. Really in two minds.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th May 2018, 17:21   #848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashish_390 View Post
I have a 2 Channel Alpine Amplifier along with a 1000W JBL Bass tube which I had installed in my previous car. I have recently upgraded and while selling the old car i took the amplifier and bass tube out.

Amplifier Model : Alpine V12 MRV-T502
Bass Tube : 1000W Bass Reflex Tube

Couple of queries -
  • Should I get it installed in my new car or sell it off. Any complications w.r.t. vibrations in the panels with prolonged usage?

• I find the stock music player good enough but since I already have it - I am planning to plonk it in. Really in two minds.

Thanks in advance.
The bass tube and it's amp (I assume you are using the 2 channel amp in bridge mode to drive the subwoofer) can be transplanted into most cars.

Since you are connecting it to the OEM HU you might need some speaker level to line level adapters.
Old 27th May 2018, 23:07   #849
BHPian

Quote:
14.5k is a fair price. The list price used to be 17k last time I checked.
Navinji, installed Kenwood amp last week. There is change in thump from sub. Getting much smoother bass. Got the boot, rear parcel tray, C pillar area damped. Overall sound quality is much livelier now. Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-img_20180527_213621966.jpg

Last edited by navin : 29th May 2018 at 11:18. Reason: typo
Old 29th May 2018, 11:18   #850
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Navinji, installed Kenwood amp last week. There is change in thump from sub. Getting much smoother bass.
Great! I am glad it all worked out. Time to sit back and enjoy the music till the next upgrade bug bites.
Old 29th May 2018, 12:00   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Time to sit back and enjoy the music till the next upgrade bug bites.
LOL. I was cursing my subwoofer all this time and was thinking to upgrade it. Even I had asked my installer to take back my sub and replace it with Infinity Kappa and guess what, he was in agreement too. However, results of Kenwood amp were so astonishing that both me and installer came to a conclusion that there is no need of it. Even he agreed that Kenwood amps are good, it is lack of proper distribution channel that keeps him away from keeping kenwood products in stock. He has earlier worked with SAM during deployment of Harman systems in Tata cars. Whatever Harman systems we see in today's TATA cars, he was involved in initial R&D. "Sir, your choice of amp is very good", getting such a comment from such a person means a lot. And Navinji, for that matter thank you!

Just for your info - I have disabled all the crossover settings for all the speakers including subwoofer from head unit, still I am not having any issue related to bass lag.

Last edited by navin : 29th May 2018 at 12:13. Reason: few extra empty lines.
Old 7th November 2018, 16:13   #852
BHPian

Hello Mr Navin,

I was planning to upgrade from the stock head unit in my Brio to an Apple CarPlay supporting one. Decided to go ahead and change the speakers and add an amp as well.

Plan:

1. Head Unit : Sony XAV AX5000 (Has capacitive touch, a 10 band EQ and a minimalist design)

2. Amp : Focal Auditor+ AP 4340 SI

3. Front Speakers : Infinity REF 6520CX (Or should I go for the Focal Auditor RSE-165?)

4. Rear Speakers : Infinity REF 6522ix (Again, should I pick the Focal RCX-165?)

Also, this is embarrassing but I don't know the stock speaker sizes for my car (The above choices are all 6.5in). Would be grateful if you or anyone else on the forum could clarify.

I listen primarily to Rock, Metal and R&B. A little jazz every now and then. I prefer a balanced sound. My headphones and earphones have trained my ear to appreciate the same.

Please do let me know what are your thoughts on this setup and suggest any alternatives.

Thanks in advance.
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 14:54   #853
Distinguished - BHPian

A question about Android Auto. Does it work with apps like torque pro? Any workarounds, hacks to get the floating gauges on HU screen?

It would help me decide if I should pick up a Android Auto compatible HU locally or try to get a full Android HU from Aliexpress.

Any reviews/users of Sony AX3000? Or any other similarly priced alternatives (<18k)?
Old 8th December 2018, 13:45   #854

4 channel amp for 2010 Honda city

Hi BHPians

Need your suggestions to get a budget 4 channel amp for anhc 2010. Ideally within 5k-7.5k

Current set up is
HU - Kenwood DDX 5036
Front components - infinity ref 6520 cx
Rear components - bull audio

Also earlier I had rainbow titanium comps in front but it just turned defective and I yest only got infinity 6520 . However m feeling infinity is too bright - shall I reduce treble/mid? Any other setting I can do? Any specific setting I can do with crossover

Thanks a ton in advance, planning to get amp today itself so it will really help if u can suggest amp soon

I have Blaupunkt on radar, any other brand or specific model? Must have spf hpf settings for sure I guess
Old 28th March 2019, 22:27   #855

Gurus, I did search this thread but could not get the answers to what I am looking for, so here I go....

Need some advice on some I.C.E that I want to install. Just got the Brezza ZDI+ and am obviously unhappy with the system.

I want to retain the HU and only change all 4 speakers to components and maybe more. I am not looking for noise; just want good quality sound.

So here are my questions...
1. What components should I be considering? Keeping in mind I dont like my sound too bright. Budget 30K for all 4 speakers.
2. Do I need to add a 4 channel amp to get best out of these speakers? As I am keeping my OEM HU.
3. Should I also consider adding in a sub woofer to this setup to have the complete sound range? If so which? Keeping in mind fI am only interested in good sound.
4. Dampings are good but have had the problem of them leaking silicon all over the doors (it was a mess). so which company should one go for keeping the Delhi weather in mind to avoid this fiasco in the future.

As Navin says, I too am a fan letting your ears decide but in this case really dont have much of a choice so hoping you experts can help me.

On an unrelated note can anyone point me to a good seat cover place in Delhi NCR. Sorry Mods if this question should not have been put here.

Thanks in advance.
Sunny

Last edited by navin : 29th March 2019 at 13:47. Reason: typos, bad grammar, SMS language

Most Viewed