Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2020, 13:37   #916
BHPian

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Hi,

I was thinking of upgrading the stock speakers of my late 2016 Figo. Since I'm a noob in this department, I think it is better that I consult here before doing anything. I was planning on doing the following:

1) Swap the stock speakers for Focal Integration ISC 165 Coaxials. If there are better options, I would be happy to check them out. Some other requirements are:

- I think components are out of question since I don't think there is a provision for mounting tweeters within the door panel. I don't want to drill the A pillar and put tweeters in there either.
- I listen to classic/hard rock, metal (death, thrash and prog). To use a headphone analogy, I really like the sound signature of the Sennheiser HD25 (like a Grado except with more isolation and more bass). Bass should be tight and natural and not sloppy and loose. Was wondering whether the Focals fit this bill or at least come 50% close. Would be happy if they were an upgrade over the stock speakers.

2) Damping the doors. Again, I am an utter noob here. I think this is required since this Figo doesn't have the substantial build the older ones did.

3) Planning on keeping the HU stock. Open to better options, if any. Source of songs would be flac files running off an LG V20 via BT or aux. The HU has a phone holder at the top for holding in the phone.

4) Is an amplifier required for this setup?

While I don't have a tight budget, I do not want to spend a bomb on this either. I'm just looking forward for an upgrade from the stock speakers.
Old 29th October 2020, 14:17   #917
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
1) Swap the stock speakers for Focal Integration ISC 165 Coaxials. If there are better options, I would be happy to check them out. Some other requirements are:

- I think components are out of question since I don't think there is a provision for mounting tweeters within the door panel. I don't want to drill the A pillar and put tweeters in there either.
Can you share an image of the dashboard of your car?

Speakers can be decided once a rough budget is set. Shall be easy to filter out and suggest.

Quote:
2) Damping the doors. Again, I am an utter noob here. I think this is required since this Figo doesn't have the substantial build the older ones did.
At least damp the 4 doors and the door pads so there is some improvement in terms of SQ and lesser road noise filters in.

Quote:
3) Planning on keeping the HU stock. Open to better options, if any. Source of songs would be flac files running off an LG V20 via BT or aux. The HU has a phone holder at the top for holding in the phone.
If you are happy with the stock HU and how things work, then let that be. No point fiddling with it.

Quote:
4) Is an amplifier required for this setup?
If you can add a 4 channel amplifier, will boost the sound quality a lot. A few examples with approximate prices:
  • Helix D FOUR: ₹20,000
  • Pioneer GM-D8704: ₹17,000
  • Zapco ST-4B: ₹13,000
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 15:00   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you share an image of the dashboard of your car?
Hi, Anurag! Thanks for replying to my query. I'm sharing a pic below (Pic courtesy: Internet). It's that of the European Ford Ka, but apart from the steering wheel orientation, this is how it looks like.

Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-allnewfordfigointerioratthedims2015.jpg

The head unit is the same. There is a phone holder/ dock at the top. Was planning to retain this. My car has steering wheel controls too.

Quote:
Speakers can be decided once a rough budget is set. Shall be easy to filter out and suggest.
I was targeting around 20K or less for all 4 speakers (front and rear).

Quote:
At least damp the 4 doors and the door pads so there is some improvement in terms of SQ and lesser road noise filters in.
Okay. Which damping material do you suggest? How much do you reckon the cost might work out to?

Quote:
If you can add a 4 channel amplifier, will boost the sound quality a lot. A few examples with approximate prices:
  • Helix D FOUR: ₹20,000
  • Pioneer GM-D8704: ₹17,000
  • Zapco ST-4B: ₹13,000
Thanks for the list. I'm going to ask a couple of silly noob questions now- since I'm not going to be using a sub woofer, the 4 channels in this case means each channel is amping an individual speaker, right? Another one is regarding mounting the amp- where do you suggest the best place would be?

I am planning on getting this done in Bangalore, btw. Any suggestions of good places to do so would be very useful.

Last edited by evilmessiah : 29th October 2020 at 15:01.
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:42   #919
BANNED

Apologies for the late reply.

Quote:
I was targeting around 20K or less for all 4 speakers (front and rear).
Since the Figo you own doesn't get tweeters and your don't want to drill holes in the door pad or sail panel to install them, you can go with 6.5" coaxial both front and rear.

JL Audio C1-650x - ~₹7,000 each pair so two pairs will be ~₹14,000.
Rainbow, Helix also has options which you can look at too.

Quote:
Which damping material do you suggest? How much do you reckon the cost might work out to?
Doors + Boot should set you back by ₹10,000 mostly. You can look at damping sheets from DampMat, Dr.Artex, Blaupunkt.

Quote:
Thanks for the list. I'm going to ask a couple of silly noob questions now- since I'm not going to be using a sub woofer, the 4 channels in this case means each channel is amping an individual speaker, right? Another one is regarding mounting the amp- where do you suggest the best place would be?
4 channels of the amplifiers are for the 4 speakers mounted on each of the four doors.

Ch 1: Front Left coaxial
Ch 2: Front Right coaxial
Ch 3: Rear Left coaxial
Ch 4: Rear Right coaxial

Search for amplifiers that accept 'high-level input' so you can integrate it with the OEM HU without the need for any kind of 'Hi-Lo converter' in the sound chain.
Old 5th November 2020, 13:02   #920
BHPian

Quote:
JL Audio C1-650x - ~₹7,000 each pair so two pairs will be ~₹14,000.
Rainbow, Helix also has options which you can look at too.
Hi, thanks for replying! Which brand do you suggest in terms of reliability and sound quality?

Quote:
Doors + Boot should set you back by ₹10,000 mostly. You can look at damping sheets from DampMat, Dr.Artex, Blaupunkt.
Done. Would do this at a recommended place in Bangalore. Time for me to search the t-bhp directory.
Old 5th November 2020, 14:13   #921
BANNED

Quote:
Which brand do you suggest in terms of reliability and sound quality?
You can't go wrong with any of those brands. My preference would be Rainbow, Helix, JL Audio.
Old 13th February 2021, 22:23   #922
BHPian

I also have the new generation Jazz (2016 model VX) and the speakers seem bit anemic and I have been thinking of enhancing it by adding amplifier or changing the setup. Would love to hear recommendations on what to do to enhance the sound. Planning on keeping the current AVN HU for now.
Old 19th April 2021, 17:45   #923
BHPian

Hi. Is there a way for me to make new apps appear on android auto? I use Wynk music premium for my extremely basic music needs and currently it is not available on AA. I don't want to move to Spotify or Amazon music or Gaana. Is there anyway for me to get Wynk on android auto? Is there any other app which can help with this? Thanks.
Old 19th April 2021, 18:32   #924
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
Hi. Is there a way for me to make new apps appear on android auto? I use Wynk music premium for my extremely basic music needs and currently it is not available on AA. I don't want to move to Spotify or Amazon music or Gaana. Is there anyway for me to get Wynk on android auto? Is there any other app which can help with this? Thanks.
I think Wynk is Android Auto ready as yet. Till it is nothing can be done since it can't be added to the Android Auto screen.
Old 3rd May 2021, 14:14   #925
BHPian

Hi everyone, need an advice. I am getting a Sony XMN-1004 apmlifier at a pretty good rate. Wanted to know folks experience here with that amp.

The intended purpose is to use in an AStar connected to basic comps up front and similar coaxial at rear. The HU is a JVC KD-R881BT. The speakers havent been decided yet - but will probably be MTX TR65S up front and Helix L 6X at the rear doors.

Any information on how good/bad the sony amp is would be highly welcome!
Old 3rd May 2021, 14:44   #926
BHPian

Hi, I need your advice.

Recently I have replaced the stock front speakers & tweeters in my Golf Mk7 with Gladen M Line system. It comes with a crossover for the tweeter (see pictures).

The crossover is enclosed in a thicker plastic transparent sheet housing from the factory and both ends were cables coming in and going out are open.

While installing it, I wrapped the plastic sheet housing with Tesa Fleece Fabric Tape so that it would not rattle inside A pillar where it is tucked in. When wrapping I also wrapped the openings on both ends without thinking about heat dissipation. Now I am concerned whether the wrapping would block the heat dissipation and damage the crossover.

In general whether the crossover for tweeter would get hot when active and if so why it was housed inside a thick plastic sheet instead of a proper plastic housing?

Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-crossover.jpg

Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-fleecetape.jpg

Last edited by gopi_rm : 3rd May 2021 at 14:45.
Old 23rd July 2021, 00:36   #927
BHPian

Need quick help.
I bought below items today and want to know whether speaker and amp are suitable.
Speakers -
Morel Virtus 602 components
Max power output : 300W
Nominal power output : 140W RMS
Impedance : 4ohm

4 channel Amplifier
Sony XM-GS4
Max wattage at 4ohm : 150W*4
RMS wattage at 4ohm : 70W*4

If you see the amp is underrated by 100%. Can I use this 4ch amp to power above same 4 components or do I need to find a higher rated amp. Please note that am using same component speakers front and rear.
Old 30th July 2021, 17:06   #928
BHPian

As a total noob to car audio, am looking for advice from experienced members.

For a 2nd gen Wagon R - could you please suggest a simple head unit and speakers/amp setup.

Requirements:
- for listening to classical music/podcasts.
- needs to connect to my android phone,
- physical buttons for volume control and for phone operation.
- do not need touch screen/navigation/reverse camera.

I looked thru this section of the forum, but am thoroughly confused and did not know where to begin, hence this question, please forgive if already answered elsewhere.
Old 9th September 2021, 22:30   #929
BHPian

Hi all,

I am not at audiophile and currently have 2019 Baleno Delta variant. I am looking to upgrade to touch screen system with Apple CarPplay.
I have shortlisted Sony XAV AX-5000 and Blaupunkt New York 750. Both range between 18-19k.
I am in Gurgaon. Hypersonic is another android popular in NCRr region and that also has model with wired/wireless car play and available in around 15-17k.

I don’t want to spend more than 20k on this.

Please suggest which one to go for.

Note from Support: Typos fixed. Please proof-read before posting. Thanks!
Old 11th September 2021, 00:00   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi053 View Post
Need quick help.
I bought below items today and want to know whether speaker and amp are suitable.
The amp should work without any issues. Only thing is you won’t be able to get into the maximum dB level, the speakers are capable of. For the records, I am using the same components with Zapco amp that is rated at 65W RMS at 4 ohms, and it works beautifully. Of course, a 100 -150 W RMS amp can take out the full potential of the speakers, but how much time one will listen at full volume? Quality of amp matters than absolute power.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th June 2022 at 16:04. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
lovetorque is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks