Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2009, 10:39   #181
Senior - BHPian

Cohones of STEEL! On *both* sides :D

4.30PM: Call from Zuheimi
Z: Maashe, how are things?
Me: Uh, good, Ikka. How are things there?
Z: <silence>
Me: Hello?
Z: I, umm, uh, just started on the car. It will be done tomorrow evening. I had too many unannounced cars today for small jobs. Friday rush, you know.
Me: Whaaaaaat? Sheeesh! The car is supposed to be back home tonight, after the uh, service!!!
Z: I can let you have another white swift if you want. Will that do?
Me: Noooooooo...
Z: <funny sounds>
Me: Uh, can you finish it tonight, a bit late?
Z: OK, how about about 2.30AM?
Me: Too late. 11PM?
Z: Sorry, I can't let you take the car before 12.30AM. That's when the "raahu kaalam" (= bad time to start things according to the day's astrological prediction) ends. <funny sounds>
Me: HUH? <the bulb starts glowing slowly> Ooooooohhhhh K!
Z: Hahahahahhahaahahhahaaha <finally bursts out laughing>
Me: Aaaaaarghhhh! Wait till I get my hands on you!
Z: 2 days late, but you're still an April Fool. The Install is about done. Finishing off the tuning now. Come over.
Me: Grrrrrr... I'll come over.
Z: MMmmmffff...

I managed to extract myself from the office about an hour after. The tuning was done by the time I got to the workshop. I hopped into the driver's seat and slipped into sheer bliss.

The sub plays with real authority now. It kicks faster and is louder and a lot more agile. It makes better music than it did before. I'm very happy with the results. I'm not going to dwell on the improvements too much and bore you folks. JayZ and iPlay listened to the setup quite a bit. JayZ is familiar with how the ICE sounded before the install. Maybe a review from him and from iPlay will explain things better than I can.

The stuff that went in:

1) TRU Technology STEEL S500 Monobloc amp.
2) Image Dynamics CTX6 (rear fill). *sigh*
3) Connection Audison 2gauge power wiring, fuse holder, Distribution Block, additional speaker-wires for the ID CTX.
4) Connection Audison "BEST" 2-ch RCAs (for the TRU S00).
5) DynaXorb squares.

Specs of the TRU STEEL S500, from their website:
ICE Upgrade in Hydra's Hatch II (Swift Zxi) - Alpine,  Image Dynamics, TRU Tech-s500.jpg

As always, special thanks to Zuheimi and the people at Emperor for all the special help. Thanks to GUnbir for pointing me in the right way. Thanks to JayZ and iPlay for sharing in my happiness with me yesterday (iPlay, please update your thread, heh heh).

I'll post pics late evening today. Stuck in the office already.

Thanks for the good wishes folks. I'll reply soon. Saturday mornings at work are murder. :(

I'll be at the F1 meet at Gokulam tomorrow, and all are welcome to audition the setup.

EDIT: Uh, the subject should be "Cojones"and not "Cohones". *embarrassed*

Last edited by hydrashok : 4th April 2009 at 10:46.
Old 4th April 2009, 11:08   #182
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Hyderabad-Ashok!

Yours is now one vehicle that is on my 'must audition' list!
Old 4th April 2009, 11:19   #183
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the great setup hydra,how dynaxorb had worked,did it made the sound more cleaner.
Old 4th April 2009, 11:27   #184
BANNED

What?? No body fluids, no tissues!

I'm just happy for you. Your car has one of the best ICE configs here in this side of the planet. And now, it has come to a fully grown up stage. Nice that you did it in stages and completely learnt about each and every component which went into your setup. Hats off!
Old 4th April 2009, 12:36   #185

I was among the lucky few who got the audition yesterday. and.

WOW !!!!!

Truly out of this world.
Powerful, clear and very much musical.
What ever I say will fall short of the actual experience.
I think I will come again tomorrow to hear it again

Congrats, Hydra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
iPlay will explain things better than I can.
I am unable to transfer the actual musical experience to exact words. It has to be heard. May be one can analyse the same on technical terms, not my cup of tea, anyways.

One thing I can tell. Your ICE is THE BEST IN CAR AUDIO setup I have ever heard. period

Quote:
iPlay, please update your thread, heh heh
Will do that tonight.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th April 2009 at 13:35. Reason: back to back posts
Old 4th April 2009, 13:32   #186
Senior - BHPian

@abhibh, kk, sk456, F_B, muneem, frank, kb100, zak, thank you very much!

@F_B, not going active (yet). Rear speakers were a necessity for non-music reasons. So not enough amp channels. Running the rears from the HU's amp would not have served the um, purpose.

@muneem, you are welcome to check it out. Thank you!

@frank, big shot? Not me, man!

@kb100, still in CBE? I might be over to CBE for a day in a week or so. Will call you then. Else, there's always tomorrow's F1 meet, heh heh.

@KK, yes, as you said, there is way more control in the sub. This amp was really needed to round things out. The DynaXorb panels mostly help by diffusing the backwave of the speakers and thus reducing distortion. They also help a bit to cut down on the resonance transferred to the doors, working with the existing damping sheets. It is stuck onto the inside of the outer door panel, right behind the magnet of the speakers. Zuheimi'd bought a few kits for his personal use. Two got used in my car. It is a luxury, something that could have been done without, but hell, it helps a bit. Here's a pic of a DynaXorb square (not a pic from my install -- pic from Gunbir's Fiat 500 install), just for illustration:
ICE Upgrade in Hydra's Hatch II (Swift Zxi) - Alpine,  Image Dynamics, TRU Tech-dynaxorb.jpg

@Zakko, thanks, man! You are the one guy who is most familiar with my setup (right from my Blaupunkt days), and with how I go about planning my ICE. Too bad you could check out the pre-S500 setup only for a short while. But I think that audition was enough to let you know how much things have changed now. We should have a long listen tomorrow! You should have been there yesterday: 3 long hours of music with Z's test CDs. You also missed iPlay's Swift, but I hope he will be there at the F1 meet tomorrow.

@iPlay, thanks! I just saw that you'd posted.

Last edited by hydrashok : 4th April 2009 at 13:51.
Old 4th April 2009, 13:47   #187
Senior - BHPian

iPlay seems to be a regular fixture at Z's place these days.
make sure to add pics of your own install , preferably pics taken when the install was being done , in your own report !
Old 4th April 2009, 18:40   #188
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ashok!! You keep amazing me with your upgrades.

I intend to visit you when I am in my hometown, Cochin, next time. Hope you do not mind.

I am waiting for the pictures.
Old 5th April 2009, 10:05   #189
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, PatienceWins! Do let me know when you are here next. We will meet up.
Old 5th April 2009, 10:50   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll post pics late evening today. Stuck in the office already.
are you still stuck in the office,where are the pics .
Old 5th April 2009, 11:06   #191
BHPian

Congrats Hydraa....

Some serious equipment there

Any plans to visit trivandrum???
Old 5th April 2009, 11:47   #192
BHPian

Quote:
@F_B, not going active (yet). Rear speakers were a necessity for non-music reasons. So not enough amp channels. Running the rears from the HU's amp would not have served the um, purpose.
Hmmm...also by using the HU in 3-way mode, am wondering if you would have been able to send a full-range signal to the rear fill via HU amp outputs...

IDQv3 is the next logical step
Old 5th April 2009, 11:51   #193
BHPian

Congrats Hydra for that great setup.Any plans to visit trivandrum?Even if u dont have plans please plan something and come here.
Old 5th April 2009, 12:12   #194
Senior - BHPian

@KK, to tell the truth I am in the office now. Snapped some pics with my mobile yesterday and promptly deleted them. Will snap pics in the 'noon -- somebody coming for the F1 meet is sure to have a good cam with them. Will upload pics tonight or tomorrow morning for sure

@nandan and jerish, thanks, guys! Yes, will be visiting TVM the next Sunday, or the Sunday after that. (My nephew's "choroonu" function) Will call you folks and meet-up.

@F_B, yep, with the HU amp, the rears would be getting only part of the mids.
One good thing that came out of the rears is that the HU's exaggeration of the upper-mids has been tamed quite a bit, without loss of midrange reproduction. The HU is a lot less "shrieky" in the upper-mids. XO settings in the XS65 have been revisited and reworked and the overall sound is much warmer (to the extent the 9887 can be warm). This time, I'm sure Z has extracted the best that can be pulled out of the HU -- so much that the HU upgrade I'd been rolling around in my mind can be put off for quite a bit.
OY! Don't remind me of the next step right now

Last edited by hydrashok : 5th April 2009 at 12:15.
Old 5th April 2009, 12:32   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok;1246757
This time, I'm sure Z has extracted the best that can be pulled out of the HU -- so much that the HU upgrade I'd been rolling around in my mind can be put off for quite a bit.
OY! Don't remind me of the [I
next [/i]step right now
Let me guess the next upgrade, Eclipse?

Nowadays with the insecurity of recession, I sometimes repent that I spent so much money on ICE earlier, eventhough I am happy with what I have got. You make me feel better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks