Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2005, 03:32   #1066
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

aseem ditch the movie and read my problem on the tyre thread!!! u listening oops i mean reading this post or not..
Old 6th September 2005, 03:33   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
3) Rear triaxials from JBL 636 cost 3.5 k, have them in my car, and trust me they are not worth it. So go for Sony co-axials for 1700Rs as FILLERS.

This will suffice.

Dear Aseem,

Few questions

1. Going by the logic of cliiping an amp for woofer why does not a HU amp clip( typical 12 to 22 watt RMS) when driving 50/60 or even 100 Watt RMS speakers and in the process blow itself up.

2. I had almost made up my mind to put front comp 606e and rear traixails 636e But it looks like u are not happy with them. Have to u tried any boston triaxials/coaxials.
Another cheap alternative is Pioneer 1680 16 " 4 way 80 watt ...Blah blah ..

at 1300 for pair and replace them, later when putting and amp.

Navin/Vivek /SAM any comments on point 1
Old 6th September 2005, 03:38   #1068
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar
If they don't blow up my car, I will blow you up
good one zzehar..for that u either need to move from chandy to delhi or still better just jump into ur tv set and get out of aseems tv set and blow him off !!! so aseem keep distance from the tv,never know whats coming out of it,fatal attraction could soon turn into zehar apperation( from harry potter )...
Old 6th September 2005, 03:54   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
good one zzehar..for that u either need to move from chandy to delhi or still better just jump into ur tv set and get out of aseems tv set and blow him off !!! so aseem keep distance from the tv,never know whats coming out of it,fatal attraction could soon turn into zehar apperation( from harry potter )...
Just out of Curiousity, what do you do for a Living? I am a Technical Expert with Dell Computer Corp. Chandigarh. How abt you guys?
Old 6th September 2005, 03:56   #1070
Senior - BHPian

I like the JBL 606E, they are much much better than JBL 636. They are a tad brighter to my liking, but nontheless great. Boston makes components too, which are quite good and more neutral.
I do not suggest 636 as for 3.5 k they are too expensive and dont sound half as good as components, so I suggest rather go for Sony 2k speakers as FILLERS in the rear and components in the fronts.
Old 6th September 2005, 03:58   #1071
BANNED

me an engineering student specializing in electronics and communication from bangalore...
Old 6th September 2005, 03:58   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just out of Curiousity, what do you do for a Living? I am a Technical Expert with Dell Computer Corp. Chandigarh. How abt you guys?
I have an Electronics background with 40+ experience in audio industry....
Just kidding
Old 6th September 2005, 04:06   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Just kidding
Why Kidding? At least we will all have to admit that you have 319+ Posts experience of posting abt Car Audio on TEAM-BHP
Old 6th September 2005, 04:38   #1074
BANNED

Quote:
Why Kidding? At least we will all have to admit that you have 319+ Posts experience of posting abt Car Audio on TEAM-BHP
not all 319 are posted on in car entertainment section..few on tyre upgrades,few on advising people to buy a MB (not a mercedes benz but a maruti baleno,remember this one aseem),few on F1 predictions,few on car reviews and a majority of them on car audio setups..way to go aseem..but one thing i have noticed is every thread he posts on, the thread becomes higly controversial(due to misunderstandings) and debateble...wonder why...just kidding dude!!!well its 4:30 gosh better get to bed..catch u both tomorrow cant say sametime but will surely be there to catch up on things..chao..goodnight amigos...
PS: not able to use smilieys wonder why..maybe the mods know better!!!
Old 6th September 2005, 09:50   #1075
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Zzehar, if you want to take my advise, PLEASE dont put the components in the rear. I strongly suggest to put them in front, more so for you, since you have appreciated my response so much
Ofcourse if you can ony afford one set of components put them in the front. However there is no law saying you cant have components all around. :-)
Old 6th September 2005, 09:55   #1076
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Of course it is, else it wont make sense investing so much in an audio system. My system would come close to 50k once complete, I plan to take it out once I sell my car. Navin still uses some of his stuff back from his old cars.
When I get a new car i take out the manufacturers unit/speakers and lock it away. then i install my own. when i sell the car i reverse the process. My 1996 Opel Astra's system is still in a cupboard. When I sell it I will put it back.

Quality does NOT go out of style.
Old 6th September 2005, 10:06   #1077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranil
1. Going by the logic of cliiping an amp for woofer why does not a HU amp clip( typical 12 to 22 watt RMS) when driving 50/60 or even 100 Watt RMS speakers and in the process blow itself up.
somewhere sometime back in the not too distant past we had discussed this...something about square waves etc..

all amps will eventually clip even $3000 Thresholds clip. However if a speaker is very sensitive it might not need so much power. your brain/ear clips before the amp does. but when an amp does clip this is what happens...

....abridged version

when an amp clips it makes square wave.
square wave = sine wave + lot of harmonics.
harmonics = high freq. sounds. lots of harmonics mean lots of high freq. sounds; more than the tweeter can manage.
tweeter gives up! poof!

amp dont die. tweeter dies first.

more clipping and amp fries cap. amp oscillates. makes a howl and poof dies too!
Old 6th September 2005, 10:12   #1078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
cool!

BTW my post (from which this reference probably comes) was tounge in cheek (I did call Sam a spring chicken - this was very tounge in cheek) and while I have been a DIY for many years I have not spent 1 minute in the audio industry. Please try to keep things less personal Aseem, I have never been anything but polite.
Old 6th September 2005, 10:27   #1079
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay
If you're saying that the 504 isnt the smoothest sounding amp, which one would? [4 channel?] and at what cost?

Since the 936e is 100rms and 506e is 55 rms, should I not be getting an amp that can actually produce 75 rms per channel amp? so that I can support both the ovals and the compos conviniently??? help! Need to decide by tomorrow and shud I fit one, need to get it done on wed'y....
ok.
I have not heard the JBL 50.4 or 75.4. I have heard the Sonys as well as Blaupnkt and Alpine. I find the Alpine to be the smoothest but i understand it is 3 times the price of the Sony.

Sony is excellent VFM. Nothing comes close. for 4K.
My home made car amp cost more! with no dealer margins, marketing costs etc...

as far as watts is concerned if you are just driving 4 speakers (no subs) any amp that can deliver 50W rms, 4 ohms,20-20kHz, < 0.01% distortion will do.

Lets look at watts.

Say your speakers are producing about 88db at 1meter in the car with 1W. With 10W they will produce 98db. Now this is at a nominal freq. usually 400Hz or 1kHz. At 50Hz they will produce a lot less say 10db less so you get 88db at 50Hz. This is not an unreasonable level in a car. At this point you can just about make out the sound of your own horn.

at 20W the numbers will be 101 and 91db respectively at 40W 104 and 94db. that is plenty loud. Prolonged listening (45min+) to sounds above 95 db can permanantly damage your hearing.

besides going from 50W to a 100W amp gives you only 3db more - a barely perceptable level difference to the human ear.

Now before I get flamed I wil qualify this by saying that the human ear is very very very sensitive to sounds between 200Hz and 5000Hz and less so at either extreme. On a different forum i have even argued that we today do NOT know what to measure or are unable to use existing/available measurig tools to positively detmine a bad sounding amplifer from a good sounding one. Julian Hirsch (lord rest his soul) might disagree! :-)
Old 6th September 2005, 12:13   #1080
BHPian

Navin, which circuit did you use for your DIY amp? Could you give me more details?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks