Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2005, 15:57   #1021
Team-BHP Support

is it your rear windsheild that is jarring?
Old 5th September 2005, 16:00   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Nahi navin.... not the tailgate windshield...
Old 5th September 2005, 16:10   #1023
BHPian

Thanks sam for the welcome note and all others for the cool inputs.
Many of my doubts are cleared..... I'll be going in for JBL 606 compos in the front and after this will decide on listening if I should go in for a sony 504 amp powering Cs1200T or the amp powering JBL 6"x9" 3ways in the rear tray/box

But one thing is troubling me. Cassette & MP3 Combo. with Good Quality Sound. Thought and Thought a lot and finally decided that I indeed would like to have a cassette deck and MP3 player both. But the problem is which setup would cost the least with the best sound.

Can't seem to figure out much beyond a Sony 5100 Cassette Deck with MP3 CD Changer. Coming to around Rs. 12,000/- for both.
JVC though is just 9000/- have chuked it out. Pioneer Double Din combo costs 13,800/- Can you guys give me alternative suggestions?

Would it be possible that I can get an MP3 HU with and Aux in/ LIne in - to which i can attach my walkman when i need to hear a Cassette (I"m sure many must be thinking what the heck! in an age where one looks to attach an ipod to a HU, I'm looking towards attaching a walkman!!! ) Sounds strange, I know, but it can bring my cost on the HU down and I'll be able to pump in the money so saved on a better amp or a sub.

Will be giving my swift for installation of the music system the day after tomorrow. Hopefully with your guidance I will be able to arrive at the right decision at the right price.
Old 5th September 2005, 16:43   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac
Would it be possible that I can get an MP3 HU with and Aux in/ LIne in - to which i can attach my walkman when i need to hear a Cassette (I"m sure many must be thinking what the heck! in an age where one looks to attach an ipod to a HU, I'm looking towards attaching a walkman!!! ) Sounds strange, I know, but it can bring my cost on the HU down and I'll be able to pump in the money so saved on a better amp or a sub.

Yes this is very much an practical alternative.

U can even get a Walkman attachment to connect to HU though dummy cassatte. Total cost may not be more than 2000 ( 1500 Walkman, 500 Adapter)
Old 5th September 2005, 16:51   #1025
BHPian

More pix of the Palio Eyeballer...thanx Sam!!

Hi guys,

Went to the AV expo that was happening on Fri/Sat/Sun (I went on Fri). Sam and Co's stall was done up in traditional JBL orange and black shades. Couple of 'em crew members looked pretty zonked and as I later found out from Sam, the guys had spent the entire night setting up the stall themselves ! And a very good job at that too.

Not surprisingly, the main crowd puller of the show happened to be the Palio Eyeballer and Sam was good/kind/great enough to lemme have a look around and even a demo. Time to leave - he asked me if I'd like to take her out for a spin.

Well....and Mon (today) morning, 11.30, I'm at the JBL showroom, clicking pics. For a 1.6, the rush was a bit muted due to the 400kg subs and all the added stuff. But, the sound (no way to describe it other than to say I had air moving in and out of my ears and it was LOUD!) and the lovely snarl of the freeflow was good enough to plaster a wide grin across my face. Armed with a sexy car and even sexier sound, cruised around GK, hoping to impress and thereby get introduced to some nice chicks. Didnt see a single one - very unfair! Anyways, Sam's back in Bombay today eve............thanx a lot man for the ride. And...He's a really nice guy despite the long hair.

Manti. Pix on the way.
Old 5th September 2005, 17:00   #1026
BHPian

Pix 01

Manti.
Old 5th September 2005, 17:13   #1027
BHPian

Pix 02

These amps were on display at the JBL stall. Rated at 3000 watt RMS (or was it 4000 Sam?)........priced at....Rs. 3.25 lakh a piece.

Manti.
Old 5th September 2005, 17:16   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
if you wanta strong deck that can be lifeted by teh hatch build one out of resin bonded fiberglass. about 3-4mm will work.
No Navin. Wasn't asking for an alternative.. Was juz letting Vivek that the MDF board was strong nuff to hold the ovals and that I didn't have the need for boxes....

Now that you've bought this option up , how much wud the fibreglass board cost? Is it entirely made of glass??
Old 5th September 2005, 17:25   #1029
BHPian

Music system for Swift

Navin and Sam any comments ??

I am to start with quite clueless on music systems for cars .. however I went ahead and installed the following in my car

Head unit - JVC XC 838 ( Cassette and CD COMBO INR - 9000 )
Speakers - GTO 936 - 3 way speaker (With a tray in the rear INR 4750 bought these based on what i read on this thread)
Speakers - Sony 2 way in the front ( cost me 1500 for the pair)

Now the problem is am not quite satisfied with the sound , The mids are not very pronounced and nor are the highs , I have tried different settings but not managed to get sound which is acceptable to me.

I would appreciate your help in getting this sorted out , any suggestion / diff combinations within the same budget would also be helpfull since I just I bought this system about two days back and the dealer is willing to exchange

[/quote]
Old 5th September 2005, 18:02   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar
hi Aseem,
thanks for ur reply. Just wanted to clarify one more thing here
What if I don't got for Comps in the front, and Instead Go in for High powered speakers say (For Example) Pioneer 6991 - 80W RMS/100W RMS with a 4 channel amplifier with which I can attach a subwoofer later on when I hv the money?
Suggest the speakers costing around 3500 INR and Amp around Rs 3000?
As for HU I will probably stick with Sony 5510/5610, What do you say? as the JBL comps are costing 5.5K don't u think that getting things amplified for the same amount of money would be a better Idea? And any other comps that u can suggest for price less than what JBL is offering without compromising in Sound Quality? Thank you sooo much. And even if I am getting the Pioneer, I am looking at 5750 that doesn't hv Dolphins, hehehe

Others are most welcome for their valuable inputs, thnks
Zzehar, I have two cars, an Esteem and a Swift. Below is the setup of both the cars:

Swift:
1) Sony 8800
2) Fronts JBL components 6k
3) Rear JBL co-axials 3.5k

Esteem:
1) Sony 3300
2) Kenwood 700Rs local fronts
3) Pioneer 3k rear
4) 2 channel boom boom amp
5) 1000 Watt Pioneer subwoofer

Esteem used to sound pretty good in the beginning, but in time the amplifier due to clipping has began to die down. The sound is always coming from the back. I can hardly make out all instruments that are playing, and the system just basically sucks to the core. To think I invested 17k in it makes me think of myself as a fool. On the Swift I have spent around 22k, and the setup simply rocks although incomplete. Firstly music is well distributed, I can hear all the instruments, it doesnt sound out of breadth like the Esteem system. Treat for the ears.

I will not recommend you to go for expensive ovals in rear with an amplifier as opposed to decent speakers. As there are better ways to spend your money. Just tell me your budget and I will figure something out for you. Please do not go for REAR SPEAKERS if budget is an issue but do go for components. Rear speakers contrary to the popular belief spoil the sound stage of the car. Use them only as fillers, or best, do without them.

Lastly although Sam doesnt recommend, Sony speakers. I know there is a decent sounding Sony component system that starts at 4.5k.
Boston components also start in the same range.
Old 5th September 2005, 18:11   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Clipping for beginners

For folks who read this thread often, they might have come across Sam, Navin or me using the word "amplifier clipping" quite often. So what is clipping in layman's term and why does it happen? What are its drawbacks?
Clipping happens when an underpowered amplifier is used to drive a power hungry Subwoofer. The amplifier in order to drive the subwoofer works to its limits and gets heated up. The subwoofer as well suffers from the clipped signal and gets thermally damaged. The example below will explain this in laymans terms:

Suppose we have a 800 CC engine. And we have the option of putting this 800 CC engine block inside a New Maruti 800, or a New Maruti Swift as we are getting their bodies at the same price. Now we all know how good Swift looks so we decide to go and put the 800 CC engine inside the Swift.

Whats going to happen when we do this?

1) The fuel economy of the car will go down as the engine has to pull heavier load
2) The car will be sluggish to drive
3) The engine will always be working at its peak to provide maximum power to drive such a heavy body
4) The engine will overheat
5) It will be difficult to overtake people
6) The life of the engine will go down

What happens if we put the same engine to run an Maruti 800

1) The fuel economy will increase
2) The car will be very sporty to drive
3) The engine will run cooler and wont run at maximum revs all the time
4) Overtaking will be a brease
5) Life of the engine will be long

This is a perfect example to relate to an amplifier and a woofer setup. If we have an underpowered amplifier, of course the system will still run just as the 800 cc powering the Swift will make Swift run. However the amplifier will always be running at its peak, will over heat, wont be able to drive the subwoofer to its potential and will have a shorter life and will damage the subwoofer as well.

So its very important that we check the RMS value of the amplifier and the woofer and make sure that they are with in the same range. This will insure we have enough power to drive the subwoofer without doing any damage to our system. Hope this example helps!
Old 5th September 2005, 18:15   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchimni
Navin and Sam any comments ??

I am to start with quite clueless on music systems for cars .. however I went ahead and installed the following in my car

Head unit - JVC XC 838 ( Cassette and CD COMBO INR - 9000 )
Speakers - GTO 936 - 3 way speaker (With a tray in the rear INR 4750 bought these based on what i read on this thread)
Speakers - Sony 2 way in the front ( cost me 1500 for the pair)

Now the problem is am not quite satisfied with the sound , The mids are not very pronounced and nor are the highs , I have tried different settings but not managed to get sound which is acceptable to me.

I would appreciate your help in getting this sorted out , any suggestion / diff combinations within the same budget would also be helpfull since I just I bought this system about two days back and the dealer is willing to exchange

[/quote]

Since Navin and Sam are not here, I will chip in with my 2 cents worth. Kindly verify this with them before making your call.

JVC HU suck in audio quality, but since you need double din, keep it!

Change the front speakers to a decent set of components, Sony, JBL or Boston come within 4-6k range. Sam advises against the Sony, I find the JBL a tad bright. So make your decision after listening to all of them.

Get rid of the rear speakers, music should have a frontal sound stage contrary to the popular belief. If you still want to use rear speakers, than use them only as fillers. Any cheap co-axials will do for the rear. Pioneer 2 way co-axials or Sony 2 way co-axials cost 2k.

So total budget:
9k 5k 2k = 16k... Hope this helps!
Old 5th September 2005, 21:21   #1033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
guys was surfing the sony website and came across this product..sony XS-HT170SN components(17 cm, 2way):
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7...snlagre1ef.jpg

FEATURES• Peak Power: 240W
• Rated input Power: 60W
• Frequency Response: 50Hz-20kHz
• Senstivity: 89dB/W/m Woofer• Vacuum Formed Polypropylene
•Barium Magnet
•Butyl Rubber Edge Tweeter• 25mm Polyester Soft Drone
• 23.5mm Neodymium Magnet
• Polyester Edge

need ur reviews on this product over the components from JBL and others in the same league..sam where do u disappear to when we need u ...
Hi I'm here baba. I have heard Sony components and honestly I dont think theyre worth it. See you can get a decent set for 5.5k. How much cheaper are those anyways. I wouldnt buy these. I'm not writing them off, just saying that i feel there are better options.
Old 5th September 2005, 21:50   #1034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticore
Anyways, Sam's back in Bombay today eve............thanx a lot man for the ride. And...He's a really nice guy despite the long hair.

Manti. Pix on the way.
I'm back in Mumbai! YOU are very welcome, those are some totally killer pictures, please please send me the CD. I'll pm you the address.

Despite the long hair??? hmmm?
Old 5th September 2005, 21:53   #1035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticore

These amps were on display at the JBL stall. Rated at 3000 watt RMS (or was it 4000 Sam?)........priced at....Rs. 3.25 lakh a piece.

Manti.
3000 watt rms manti. Havent sold even one yet. Wonder why....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks