Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2005, 21:59   #1036
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchimni
Navin and Sam any comments ??

I am to start with quite clueless on music systems for cars .. however I went ahead and installed the following in my car

Head unit - JVC XC 838 ( Cassette and CD COMBO INR - 9000 )
Speakers - GTO 936 - 3 way speaker (With a tray in the rear INR 4750 bought these based on what i read on this thread)
Speakers - Sony 2 way in the front ( cost me 1500 for the pair)

Now the problem is am not quite satisfied with the sound , The mids are not very pronounced and nor are the highs , I have tried different settings but not managed to get sound which is acceptable to me.

I would appreciate your help in getting this sorted out , any suggestion / diff combinations within the same budget would also be helpfull since I just I bought this system about two days back and the dealer is willing to exchange

[/quote]

Hi!
Sorry I was travelling. Looks likely that your lack of mids and highs comes from your Head Unit. Try putting the loudness off and try it. It should sound a little more balanced then.
I suggest you return the sony fronts and get yourself GTO426e. This will be a good tonal match for your rear speakers and will give you much better mids and highs than your current sonys.
Old 5th September 2005, 22:13   #1037
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

yup that was the answer i was expecting from u sam(needless to ask i suppose)..but the guy whom i went to enquire about the JBLs told me to look into this particular sony model saying it had crossovers and all that kind of rubbish..he actually try to convince me to go in for boston components followed by the sonys..wonder why is he so reluctant to provide JBL..so just thought of asking u if this series from sony are new to the market or something..me sticking to the JBLs though..

btw i read a few posts were aseem suggested zehar and rchimni to go in for front components without an amp..dont u think it would be impossible to get the desired output from the components running on the HU,not to forget that even rear coaxials are connected to the HU..well in that case i think there is no point in going for components but one can go in for coaxials in the front and save the money (and spend them on a date as u so often say ) as the effect would be equally matched due to the lack of an amp to drive the compos..sam ur views on this..and secondly do u advise only front sound staging and keep the boot empty as aseem suggests,i prefer all round balance rather than having sound staging be it either from the rear or front..over to u for these doubts!!!! hope im not bugging u with my questions,what to do
Old 5th September 2005, 22:26   #1038
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
yup that was the answer i was expecting from u sam(needless to ask i suppose)..but the guy whom i went to enquire about the JBLs told me to look into this particular sony model saying it had crossovers and all that kind of rubbish..he actually try to convince me to go in for boston components followed by the sonys..wonder why is he so reluctant to provide JBL..so just thought of asking u if this series from sony are new to the market or something..me sticking to the JBLs though..

btw i read a few posts were aseem suggested zehar and rchimni to go in for front components without an amp..dont u think it would be impossible to get the desired output from the components running on the HU,not to forget that even rear coaxials are connected to the HU..well in that case i think there is no point in going for components but one can go in for coaxials in the front and save the money (and spend them on a date as u so often say ) as the effect would be equally matched due to the lack of an amp to drive the compos..sam ur views on this..and secondly do u advise only front sound staging and keep the boot empty as aseem suggests,i prefer all round balance rather than having sound staging be it either from the rear or front..over to u for these doubts!!!! hope im not bugging u with my questions,what to do
Boston is pretty good. Sony isnt. Maybe he makes more money selling other brands
It is recommended to use an amp (however small) with components. If one installs components in the car, without an amp, it is supposed to mean he cant afford the amp just yet and will do so later.
I always suggest spending money on women rather than bad speakers. The results are often more satisfying.

Lastly, I do NOT endorse a view that asks for only fronts for sound staging. I love all round soundstaging. It is always nice to have a loud and clear stage upfront when your driving. This means dont keep your fronts softer. But it doesnt mean lose the rear speakers.
However, rear speakers are almost always bigger than the front (due to the lack of space). The position of the rear speakers allow you to use the boot as a box, as an enclosure giving you a decent amount of mid bass and sometimes low bass too. It is possible to turn up the rear speakers louder (if you feel like turning it up) as normally the rear speakers have a larger come size than the front.
Fronts are positioned in a way that they have little or no enclosure space. As Vivek and Navin will tell you, a box/enclosure is 50% of a speakers sound. Given this logic, you need rears.
That said, if you have a car like a swift: The swift has identical pods for the front and the rear. In that case i will always recommend the front speakers be better quality and louder.
Old 5th September 2005, 22:38   #1039
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I always suggest spending money on a women rather than bad speakers. The results are often more satisfying.
well i certainly would not agree with u that spending on a women is the better choice..well about the results being more satisfying hhhhmmmm sam which fairyland are u off to now (thoughts ur thoughts and the consequential effects pretty interesting)...ok better get back to the topic now or else our mamus(mods obviously) will give us tough times..
PS: may be my thought differs because im just 21..but its rather more satisfying to be spending on urself rather than a #####...
Old 5th September 2005, 23:07   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Maybe the JBL dealer can talk to Sam then :-) LOL

Get an amp. I know the sony 504 is not the smoothest sounding amp but it will still aleviate the load on the HU.

about the jarring...it all depends what is causing teh jarring if it is the intall it wont help if it amplifier overload it will. it is kinda diffcult to tell unless you give us more info to go on. what type of jarring, does it happen when certain notes are played, etc...

If you're saying that the 504 isnt the smoothest sounding amp, which one would? [4 channel?] and at what cost?

Since the 936e is 100rms and 506e is 55 rms, should I not be getting an amp that can actually produce 75 rms per channel amp? so that I can support both the ovals and the compos conviniently??? help! Need to decide by tomorrow and shud I fit one, need to get it done on wed'y....

Tx --- AK
Old 5th September 2005, 23:16   #1041
BANNED

well i say u stick to the sony 504z only and not worry too much about it..though the better amps from JBL the 50.4 should cost u around 8k approx..
Old 5th September 2005, 23:24   #1042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay
If you're saying that the 504 isnt the smoothest sounding amp, which one would? [4 channel?] and at what cost?

Since the 936e is 100rms and 506e is 55 rms, should I not be getting an amp that can actually produce 75 rms per channel amp? so that I can support both the ovals and the compos conviniently??? help! Need to decide by tomorrow and shud I fit one, need to get it done on wed'y....

Tx --- AK
Ajay the 504 is good VFM. However if you can afford it, the JBL CS50.4 would be ideal for your ovals+compos
Old 6th September 2005, 01:02   #1043
BHPian

i want to spend some rs15000/- for my new swift's music system..some one should advise me what will be value for money for me..i live in baroda city..if anyone can tell me the place, where i can purchase will help me more..
thanks in advance..
Old 6th September 2005, 01:06   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Mc Laren in my Swift I have my HU driving the components for now. I am waiting to add an amplifier and a tube. The reason the project has delayed is that I decided to buy a mobile in bangalore for 20k... (angry at myself). In any case, the components are any day better than co-axials I have in the rear even being driven just by the HU. When I suggest ppl to go for components with HU, its understood I suggest it due to the fact that they cant afford everything.
I would say a decent HU with components will sound better than the same HU with ovals and an amplifier. The second one will only sound louder. Sam, please chip in.
Old 6th September 2005, 01:11   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo107
i want to spend some rs15000/- for my new swift's music system..some one should advise me what will be value for money for me..i live in baroda city..if anyone can tell me the place, where i can purchase will help me more..
thanks in advance..
Just one possible setup would be this:

Sony HU 5510 for 6k
JBL/Boston Components for 5-6k
Rear Ovals any brand: 2k

First upgrade: 4 channel amp
Second upgrade: subwoofer
Third upgrade: car
Old 6th September 2005, 01:16   #1046
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo107
thanks in advance..
is that the max u can shell out..if yes then here is what i would look at..
1. sony 5510 a good vfm HU for 6k..
2. JBL GTO936e (300w) speakers for the rear for 4750..
3. JBL GTO526e (135w) speakers for the front for 3250..or components if your willing to add another 2k..
total: 14,000..additional 1k for mdf tray or boxes,wires and fitting charges..like sam,navin and aseem say insist on bill and warranty..u can go in for aseems setup but provided u upgrade to a 4 channel amplifier soon!!!

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 6th September 2005 at 01:24.
Old 6th September 2005, 01:21   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
is that the max u can shell out..if yes then here is what i would look at..
1. sony 5510 a good vfm HU for 6k..
2. JBL GTO936e (300w) speakers for the rear for 4750..
3. JBL GTO526e (135w) speakers for the front for 3250..
total: 14,000..additional 1k for mdf tray or boxes,wires and fitting charges..like sam,navin and aseem say insist on bill and warranty..
Mc Laren, nice suggestions but there are some corrections. The car is a Swift which comes with 6" speaker provisions on the doors so I would not advise the tray and the rear ovals.

1) Go with Sony 5510
2) JBL 606E or Boston FS60 in front for 5-6k
3) Rear triaxials from JBL 636 cost 3.5 k, have them in my car, and trust me they are not worth it. So go for Sony co-axials for 1700Rs as FILLERS.

This will suffice.
Old 6th September 2005, 01:28   #1048
BANNED

ooopss missed out on that one aseem..didnt realise swift has 6" pods..sorry all!!! and ya aseem sony 6937 for 2k is also vfm & looks pretty cool..have them on my zen(planning to add a small led to light up both the coaxials)..
Old 6th September 2005, 01:37   #1049
BHPian

thanks aseem & mclaren1885 for you valuable advice. i think i have got the correct combination as suggested by you people. by the way any idea about sony 5610 ..
Old 6th September 2005, 01:39   #1050
Senior - BHPian

so polo
are you gettin the components upfront with fillers at the back as assem suggested or are you settling in for the 936 at the back with the jbl 626 upfront ??

rev

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks