Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 13:03   #11821
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Anna, his problem is a kaput 5 channel amp. How will MS8 help there?

@mindgrinder, MS8 will not replace a 4/5 channel amp. It does contain amps, but they are the equivalent of HU internal amps.

It is strange that 2 consecutive 555s have failed with you. Do you drive your system hard? Did you get wiring checked for fraying or shorts?

5-ch amps are not popular in India, and hence are unlikely to be available. Search for RF R600-5, Alpine PDX-5, Infinity Ref 5350a or Kappa Five etc. - might be available, or someone can get it for you. Don't worry about speaker level inputs, you can always get a Line Output Converter.
thanx DerAlte, will check for these amps. Wiring is fine as i use the original harness kit, i do not use my system hard never want to leak noise out of car or something that blows my ear away. So i guess MS8 will not give me any boost on the amp front. I was actually trying to avoid line output converter with auto on/off feature. Also, i feel the service center messed it up it was working fine till i have it for service.

What about 4 channels then, the Evo guys told me that can be done but i would need something that has auto turn on/off feature, as suggested by many other fiat owners

Last edited by Mindgrinder : 10th December 2012 at 13:07.
Old 10th December 2012, 16:27   #11822
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
thanks but what if I decide to do the entire ice upgrade later on? would a decent proccessor make a difference?
A processor basically cleans all the old EQ (in the HU) and tries to give as flat a signal as possible. Once you have this clean flat signal you can process it how you wish or not at all. All this happens at the line level (which varies between 200mV and 1V). You will still need amps to get the level to speaker level.

The MS8 and Helix PP50 have small 30-50W amps. These amps can work in a pinch but do not have the ability to dump current like a good 100W 4 ch. + monoblock can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
1. HU - Sony Xplod - CDX-GT505U/Q1IN ,
2. Rear Oval speakers - Rockford Fosgate Prime R-1693 (6' x 9' ) ; presently mounted on parcel tray.

Can I shift the ovals to my rear doors and install a sub on the parcel tray ? What money should I be prepared to shell out ?
No the stock i10 cannot accomodate 6x9s in the front door. The standard hole is for a 6" circular speaker. Also most 6x9s are deeper than the space in a i10 door so you would need spacers and some door modification to do this.

I would do what DA suggested. First reverse the phase on any one speaker and see if it helps. If it does not then I would check to see if by accident any HPF on the amp has been engaged. Please let us know your findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
2. current setup: Blaupunkt tha 555 PnP, focal components, RF coax, RF sub

Now i need a 4/5 channel amp with speaker level inputs and auto turn on/off feature
Quote:
It is strange that 2 consecutive 555s have failed with you. Do you drive your system hard? Did you get wiring checked for fraying or shorts?

5-ch amps are not popular in India, and hence are unlikely to be available.
What might also be an option is a 6 channel amp where 2 chanels can be bridged.

Quote:
What about 4 channels then, the Evo guys told me that can be done but i would need something that has auto turn on/off feature, as suggested by many other fiat owners
The only brand that consistently had this was Blaupunkt something to do with Opel's requirement as the Opel Astra, Sail etc.. used to leave the amp power on all the time (you could use the system with amps without ignition). Your installer will be able to help as many amps do not have this feature. Modern cars require ignition (at least half a turn of the ignition key) to get the stereo to come on so modern amps do not need this feature any more.

Last edited by navin : 13th December 2012 at 10:02.
Old 10th December 2012, 16:39   #11823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... auto turn on/off feature ...
The LoC is a passive device, and won't need remote turn on. The amp can use the corresponding Remote Turn On / Antenna Control output from HU. To know whether it is present in your HU or not, you need to look at the connection diagram sticker on top of the HU (need to take it out to read it). If it has, you can use it with any amp on the market.

The 555 uses a soft turn on when it detects signal on the speaker lines. I am sure this might be present in a couple of other amps too.
Old 10th December 2012, 18:55   #11824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anna, his problem is a kaput 5 channel amp. How will MS8 help there?

@mindgrinder, MS8 will not replace a 4/5 channel amp. It does contain amps, but they are the equivalent of HU internal amps.

5-ch amps are not popular in India, and hence are unlikely to be available. Search for RF R600-5, Alpine PDX-5, Infinity Ref 5350a or Kappa Five etc. - might be available, or someone can get it for you. Don't worry about speaker level inputs, you can always get a Line Output Converter.
Sir ji, In my defence, the MS8 does have an 18/30W amp built in.
Just kidding, I wasn't focussing on the issue when I read the word MS8.

Anyways, as you said, there must be a teeny weeny earthing problem somewhere or a short (around the sub, probably) that is blowing up the Blau amps. That said, 2 years is a rather long time for an amp to survive such issues, unless he's hibernating the car quite a bit.

I'd recommend opening the amp(s) and check what's gone kaput. Deduce the issue (if there is) in the car , sort it out and then get to installing the amplifier.
Old 10th December 2012, 19:35   #11825
BHPian

Quote:
If it has, you can use it with any amp on the market.

The 555 uses a soft turn on when it detects signal on the speaker lines. I am sure this might be present in a couple of other amps too.
yes, i the JBL's have it but i need to find out if they are available in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Sir ji, In my defence, the MS8 does have an 18/30W amp built in.
Just kidding, I wasn't focussing on the issue when I read the word MS8.

I'd recommend opening the amp(s) and check what's gone kaput. Deduce the issue (if there is) in the car , sort it out and then get to installing the amplifier.
thanx for advice nitrous amp has presently gone for repair but as per Driven Delhi, it is not repairable as it is an IC based amp and no more manufactured, so i might go with DerAlte's advice.
Old 10th December 2012, 20:06   #11826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder
... as per Driven Delhi, it is not repairable as it is an IC based amp and no more manufactured, ...
I hate it when people say that. Those amps are still manufactured, just not sold in India. Whether they are IC based or valve based, spares are still going to be available. One wishes these guys go about their work professionally, instead of talking like that.
Old 10th December 2012, 20:44   #11827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

A processor basically cleans all the old EQ (in the HU) and tries to give as flat a signal as possible. Once you have this clean flat signal you can process it how you wish or not at all. All this happens at the line level (which varies between 200mV and 1V). You will still need amps to get the level to speaker level.

The MS8 and Helix PP50 have small 30-50W amps. These amps can work in a pinch but do not have the ability to dump current like a good 100W 4 ch. + monoblock can.

Thanks for that! So which processor would you suggest I install for now that would have built in amps to keep me going for a couple of months and later on would be able to support speaker upgrades, a 4ch. + monoblock driving a sub?

Last edited by navin : 13th December 2012 at 10:03.
Old 11th December 2012, 16:52   #11828
BHPian

Hi Gurus, need help for ICE upgrade.
  • Car: Fiesta Classic SXi with stock ICE setup.
  • Requirement: 7-inch touch screen DVD player with Bluetooth for phone/audio.
  • I listen to: Songs composed by R D Burman are my favourite. I also like Bollywood songs from 70's through 80's, sometimes the contemporary ones also.
  • I want: I listen with low volume (level 5 to 8 in my current setup). Given the volume level the output should be clear & soothing with vocals not muted.
  • Budget: Around 50K (for HU & speakers).
I have the following in my mind:
  • HU: Pioneer (AVH-X5590BT/AVH-P8490BT) or JVC KW-AV70BT.
  • Front: Components - 5x7 (preferable) or 5.25. Stock is 5x7.
  • Rear: Coaxials - 5x7
  • Amplifier: Later (probably), instead I want to use the moolah for better speakers.
I need info help on the following:
  • I checked out with the installer(s) (so called) and they assured me of straight fit of the HU without wire tampering. Can one of you gurus confirm on this. I also went through some of the threads on Fiesta ICE but did not find any issues on this aspect.
  • One of the wire needs to be connected to the parking brake, enabling the video only when brake is engaged. Found out that the wire can be grounded instead of connecting to parking brake. Is this true & recommended way in terms of installation (and not with respect to safety)
  • Recommended comps & coaxials with the perspective of size constraint - the RMS output for the above HU's is 20W and max of 50W per channel as per the manual of HU.
  • Which one, 5.25 vs. 5x7 front components with respect to sound quality.
  • Pioneer or JVC for the HU. Which model? Any other brand?
Old 11th December 2012, 22:15   #11829
BHPian

Quote:
Have patience, and don't try a big bang approach. First get the rear speakers working well. Then get the front components. Then aim to get the amp, and then possibly the sub.
I figured I will follow your advice. I'm just getting JBL component speakers GTO609C for the front doors.

A quick question though. In case, I do not go for amps now, will my HU (Sony Xplod 505U) be good enough to drive the components ?

I will invest in the amps and the sub-woofer next quarter.

Quote:
Also, don't go by prices on the 'net - go out and ask around. Sometimes one can get a good deal if one is at the right place at the right time.
Very true. The India JBL site was showing MRP at 6990/-, whereas my neighborhood accessory guy said Rs 5500/- installation included.
Old 12th December 2012, 16:30   #11830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... In case, I do not go for amps now, will my HU (Sony Xplod 505U) be good enough to drive the components ?

I will invest in the amps and the sub-woofer next quarter. ...
Of course it will drive the components. An external amp will enhance the experience.
Old 12th December 2012, 20:15   #11831

Hi,
I am looking for an ICE for my Alto K10. Budget is 20k.
I would need HU + front and rear speakers. Strictly no sub as I do not want to compromise on luggage space. I do enjoy thumping music. Any suggestions?

Infinity Ref speakers look appealing, but should I add an Amp If I go for Infinity?
Old 13th December 2012, 10:28   #11832
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Thanks for that! So which processor would you suggest I install for now that would have built in amps to keep me going for a couple of months and later on would be able to support speaker upgrades, a 4ch. + monoblock driving a sub?
If you prefer "auto tune" the MS8 cant be beat. Otherwise get the Helix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischaltopno View Post
Hi Gurus, need help for ICE upgrade.
  • Requirement: 7-inch touch screen DVD player with Bluetooth for phone/audio.
  • Budget: Around 50K (for HU & speakers).
I have the following in my mind:
  • HU: Pioneer (AVH-X5590BT/AVH-P8490BT) or JVC KW-AV70BT.
  • Front: Components - 5x7 (preferable) or 5.25. Stock is 5x7.
  • Rear: Coaxials - 5x7
  • Amplifier: Later (probably), instead I want to use the moolah for better speakers.
I need info help on the following:
  • I also went through some of the threads on Fiesta ICE but did not find any issues on this aspect.
  • One of the wire needs to be connected to the parking brake, enabling the video only when brake is engaged. Found out that the wire can be grounded instead of connecting to parking brake. Is this true & recommended way in terms of installation (and not with respect to safety)
  • Which one, 5.25 vs. 5x7 front components with respect to sound quality.
  • Pioneer or JVC for the HU. Which model? Any other brand?
I see you have done considerable homework and are on the right track. What I dont see is any mention of damping. I believe you shoud budget about 8K to damp the 4 doors.

For the HU Pioneer and JVC are your best bets. I liked the Pioneer 8490 but have not heard the JVC or the 5590.

For the speakers given your taste in music I would recommend something like Infinity Reference, Morel Tempo and maybe Focal's Polyglass.

I know the Fiests has 5x7" openings but I believe youcan fit 6" components in the space provided. See Frank Mehta's Fiesta install below. Frank used Alpine's 17 cm woofers.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...now-horns.html

Quote:
will my HU (Sony Xplod 505U) be good enough to drive the components ?
Yes an HU can drive most components. An amp will surely help but that, as you said, can be added later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberabis View Post
I am looking for an ICE for my Alto K10. Budget is 20k.
I would need HU + front and rear speakers.

Infinity Ref speakers look appealing, but should I add an Amp If I go for Infinity?
There are many nice HUs from JVC, Pioneer, and Kenwood. Spend about 6-7K on the HU which will leave you 13-14K for the speakers and install.

No need for the amp especialy with your budget. A good 4ch. amp will cost you 6-7K then you need to budget 3-4K for RCA wires as well. So adding an amp is a 10K expense.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 12:32   #11833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberabis View Post
... I do enjoy thumping music. Any suggestions?...
Please check out the option of putting 6X9 speakers in the hatch-door. Most installers, I think , should have the standard MDF cut-out for the Alto hatch-door. It requires some metal cutting as well (quick work with a jig-saw). The sound (bass) is amazing. And you dont lose boot space.

I had used one of the Sony X-plod 6X9 three-way speakers rated at 60W RMS (dont remember the model number now), and was quite satisfied with the good bass response (driven off a basic 5-yr old Pioneeer MP3 HU).

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 13th December 2012 at 12:34.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 15:42   #11834
Senior - BHPian

What should be the ideal values of high, low, mid, fader and sub? (settings in the HU). My car has 4 speakers + basstube powered by amp.

Do these values remain same for all types of songs or should be changed according to type of music played?

Last edited by bluevolt : 13th December 2012 at 15:43.
Old 13th December 2012, 16:40   #11835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
What should be the ideal values of high, low, mid, fader and sub? ... or should be changed according to type of music played?
Ideally they should never be changed, but once in blue moon one just feels like listening to 1 song differently.

Hi / Lo / Mid / Fader = 0
Sub = leave it as it is till you come across a song that needs a gentle low frequency boost
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks