Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2013, 00:26   #11926
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Okay, I will leave this to the more entitled ones.

As you say it happens the moment you crank the engine, could it probably be due to a surge from the alternator the moment it starts?

Has this problem started occurring all of a sudden or did you add/remove/modify anything after which it started?

If it has started on its own, then maybe you should get your alternator checked from an A$$ or a competent mechanic.
This issue started few days after i installed all this. I took this issue to my installer and he did few things, and then it used to go off. But after few days it comes back again.

If alternator is an issue, then why does this not happen all the time when i crank the engine. Its only when i crank it for the first time in a day or after 6-8 hours of idle.
Old 10th January 2013, 00:42   #11927
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
If alternator is an issue, then why does this not happen all the time when i crank the engine. Its only when i crank it for the first time in a day or after 6-8 hours of idle.
Actually what you are saying is true. However, (and I don't know the correct terminology for this) it is a harder job to start the engine in the morning or after long hours of idle (hence essentially a cold engine) than one that has been run recently. This is what leads me to believe its an issue related to a cold start rather than anything else.
Old 10th January 2013, 11:45   #11928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... When i start my car first thing in the morning, i get a loud "boom" from the speakers or maybe just the woofer. Now the real issue is, that this happens only once when my car has not been driven for some time (lets say 6-7 hours). ...
Can't be a 'boom' (resonant) - one can expect it to sound like 'dhoop'?

Sounds like a loose Remote Turn-on connection to the amp, and/or a loose steering lock mechanism (switch portion). This must be turning on the amp for a very short time, when it actually should be off (while cranking). Get the wiring checked - shaking the loom near the steering wheel should reproduce the problem.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 12:25   #11929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have this strange issue with my ICE. When i start my car first thing in the morning, i get a loud "boom" from the speakers or maybe just the woofer.
Quote:
It happens the moment i crank the engine.

As for the equipment, i have audison Bit 10 connected to standard HU ( its an XUV), 2 Amps (JBL1004 and DLS RA20), DLS amp powering front comps (Alpine SPX PRO) and JBL amp running Morel coax at the back and IDV3 sub. All this is connected with Kicker dual amp wiring.
So the JBL amp does not have "soft start"?

Ok now comes the long explanation....

The Bit One usually takes a while to turn on so most installers wire it so that it is on the moment you turn on the engine. Since the Bit One takes very little power it really is not a drag on the engine. Now what is happening is that when you turn on the engine the Bit one has powered down and has still not powered up while the amps are already turned on (because the Bit One's remote is turning on the amp). When the Bit One powers up (a few seconds later) you get the whoop. It wont damage anything as the woofers are capable and the tweeter is protected by the passive crossover but it can be disconcerting.

If your installer is using the Bit One's remote wire to turn on the amps ask him instead to use the OEM's remote wire to turn on the amps this way the amps are off when you turn on the engine (hopefully your OEM HU has a remote wire). The other option it so get amps with "soft start".
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 22:34   #11930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Can't be a 'boom' (resonant) - one can expect it to sound like 'dhoop'?

Sounds like a loose Remote Turn-on connection to the amp, and/or a loose steering lock mechanism (switch portion). This must be turning on the amp for a very short time, when it actually should be off (while cranking). Get the wiring checked - shaking the loom near the steering wheel should reproduce the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
So the JBL amp does not have "soft start"?

Ok now comes the long explanation....

The Bit One usually takes a while to turn on so most installers wire it so that it is on the moment you turn on the engine. Since the Bit One takes very little power it really is not a drag on the engine. Now what is happening is that when you turn on the engine the Bit one has powered down and has still not powered up while the amps are already turned on (because the Bit One's remote is turning on the amp). When the Bit One powers up (a few seconds later) you get the whoop. It wont damage anything as the woofers are capable and the tweeter is protected by the passive crossover but it can be disconcerting.

If your installer is using the Bit One's remote wire to turn on the amps ask him instead to use the OEM's remote wire to turn on the amps this way the amps are off when you turn on the engine (hopefully your OEM HU has a remote wire). The other option it so get amps with "soft start".
Thanks guys for your input. However the question remains, why does this happens only once when engine has been idle for long. If its got to do with wiring or amps or Bit 10 coming on, then it should happen every time i crank the engine, right?

Here is a clip i tried to take, not sure if you could make out the sound. Look at the time i crank (the moment all those warning lights go off) there is sound.

Old 11th January 2013, 11:24   #11931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... it should happen every time i crank the engine, right? ...
Not necessarily.

Quote:
... Here is a clip i tried to take ...
No, one can't hear well on laptop speakers. Of course it felt like there is a kind of soft thud on both the cranks, but that could be the starter motor going on.
Old 11th January 2013, 12:57   #11932
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks guys for your input. However the question remains, why does this happens only once when engine has been idle for long.
You mean "off" for long. Idle means the engine is on but in neutral.

This happens because the amps are on when the Bit one comes on and the bit one is sending the thump to the amps. One option might be to connect the turn on for the Bit 10 to an ACC lead controlled by ignition this way it comes on after the amps come one (the Bit 10 takes about 2 seconds to come on).

Have you tried updating the Bit 10 Firmware from http://update.audison.eu ?

Last edited by navin : 11th January 2013 at 13:02.
Old 12th January 2013, 21:29   #11933
Senior - BHPian

My WagonR's Sony HU is unable to receive radio stations while in other cars its fine. Antenna is fully open yet no reception. CD is working fine though.

What could be the reason?
Old 13th January 2013, 10:04   #11934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
... Antenna is fully open yet no reception. ...
I assume it was working earlier?

1. Check if the antenna is connected to the HU or if the antenna cable has got cut

2. If antenna+cable is fine, take it to Sony A.S.S. - there might be a fault on the HU board
Old 13th January 2013, 13:39   #11935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
I assume it was working earlier?

1. Check if the antenna is connected to the HU or if the antenna cable has got cut

2. If antenna+cable is fine, take it to Sony A.S.S. - there might be a fault on the HU board
Yes it was working fine earlier. I don't listen to FM very often so don't remember the last time it was working. There are 2 fm modes, in first mode there is no sound at all at any station while there is little sound with lots of disturbance even with antenna fully open in the second mode.

Last edited by bluevolt : 13th January 2013 at 13:40.
Old 14th January 2013, 10:38   #11936
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Yes it was working fine earlier. I don't listen to FM very often so don't remember the last time it was working. There are 2 fm modes, in first mode there is no sound at all at any station while there is little sound with lots of disturbance even with antenna fully open in the second mode.
Did the car go for a service. Maybe they broke or disturbed the Antenna wire.
Old 14th January 2013, 12:46   #11937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin

Did the car go for a service. Maybe they broke or disturbed the Antenna wire.
Yep maybe. Let me check with an ICE tecnician.
Old 14th January 2013, 22:43   #11938
BHPian

Reliance Autozone has some year end offers on component speakers. Saw a JBL 6" for Rs 2990/-. I forgot the exact model name. I think it was CS-6C. What do the experts think. Is it worth or should I put in the extra 2k and go for the GTO 609C
Old 15th January 2013, 16:18   #11939

Hi,
Im looking to setup an audio system in my swift VDI. My budget is about 35K.
Help me

I have thought of couple of configurations

Option 1)
Kenwood 549BT Mp3 Player
Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.5" Component Speakers
Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.5" Coaoxial Speakers
Rockford Fosgate Prime R250-4 4 channel amplifier
Cerwin vega HED124 12" Subwoofer
MDF custom Rings X 4 + MDF Subwoofer Box
Overall wiring
Door Damping X 4 + Dicky packing
Suzuki Harness + Antenna Adaptor

Option 2)
Kenwood 549BT Mp3 Player
Cerwin vega HED65c 6.5" Component Speakers
Cerwin vega HED65 6.5" Coaxial Speakers
Cerwin vega HED124 12" Subwoofer
Cerwin vega HED600.4 4channel amplifier
MDF custom Rings X 4 + MDF Subwoofer Box
Overall wiring
Door Damping X 4 + Dicky packing
Suzuki Harness + Antenna Adaptor

Im a person who likes to listen to Bollywood, Rock, Pop & Metal. SOund clarity is important to me and Im not a person who is interested in public service with my music system. Any comments on the configuration or suggestions for improvement are welcome.
Old 15th January 2013, 17:14   #11940
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniabraham23 View Post

Rockford Fosgate Prime vs Cerwin vega HED

Im a person who likes to listen to Bollywood, Rock, Pop & Metal. SOund clarity is important to me and Im not a person who is interested in public service with my music system. Any comments on the configuration or suggestions for improvement are welcome.
Given your taste in music and if the sound of Cerwin Vega of today is similar to what they produced 10-20 years ago I believe you would be very happy with "CV".

Outside of these two brands I would suggest you listen to Morel's Tempo/Maximo, Focal's Access...
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks