Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 00:47   #10471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
My civic has the aux in not the usb option of the new civic. So I now use a ipod charger and a jack to aux in to play music of the ipod. Its terribly distracting as the music control is through the ipod.

What options do I have to get the HU read the ipod?
Sorry, just saw your query. You should get this -> 2003-up Honda/Acura iPod Integration & AUX input interface (Non-Nav)

To source this, you need to catch the same guy that you would have caught for the Drive + Play, by the way. I used a similar device from another brand for the same application, in a 2k7 iPod, and it worked just fine. Recognized iPhone 4s also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
NC ask GTO if his Civic's HU is still around. he relaced the HU of his Civic some months back.
GTO has a 2k7 Civic. Does not natively support full-speed iPod connections.
Old 30th October 2010, 19:03   #10472
BHPian

Hello!

Newbie here, and would like to know what are all the specs one should consider while shortlisting sub-woofers to audition.
A few pointers as to how each of these specifications effect the sound will be very much appreciated!

If I get it right,
-Freq response - 20Khz is the min the human ear can hear, so looking for something that can go that low.. What is the top freq that a sub should hit?
-S/n ratio - The lower the better?
-Power - This is basically how loud the sub can get? so 200/300 Watts RMS should do for basic SQ setups?
-Singe coil/Dual voice coil - How does this effect the sub? Dual coil subs can be fed via a mono-amp?
-Impedance - 4ohms, 2ohms and 1ohm the lower the ohm rating, the more powerful the amp should be right?
-Cone material - this determines the durability of the woofer?

Thanks!

Last edited by spyking : 30th October 2010 at 19:04.
Old 31st October 2010, 20:33   #10473
BHPian

I got my linea MJD recently i have no knowledge about ICE. its emotion pack and i have no intention of changing stock unit, i went through Bhaskar's and Vineet's thread on getting the amplifier. However, i would need suggestion on Speakers for it (should fit in the doors as stock) and tweeters. I listen to classic pop and rock. Sometimes hip hop mostly english music.

I wonder how useful are tube subwoofer, that is something i am not really looking because i do not want too much bass heavy system, something average better than stock. Also if i go for subwoofer i do not want a box for installation (considering tubes are already concealed) to use maximum boot space.

Any suggestions... on
Speakers rear
Speakers front
Amp
Tweeters
wiring

Tube subwoofer if any....(optional)
also please suggest pure professional place for installing, i can pay a little extra. I really love my linea. Sorry i am a novice and have no info about ICE.
Old 1st November 2010, 00:04   #10474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking View Post
... what are all the specs one should consider while shortlisting sub-woofers to audition. ...
-Freq response - 20Khz is the min the human ear can hear, so looking for something that can go that low.. What is the top freq that a sub should hit? Very few subs go that low. Most do 35Hz well - you wont find much music content below it
-S/n ratio - The lower the better? This is not a term relevant for subs - this relevant only for amps
-Power - This is basically how loud the sub can get? Approximately. so 200/300 Watts RMS should do for basic SQ setups? Yes.
-Singe coil/Dual voice coil - How does this effect the sub? Not much Dual coil subs can be fed via a mono-amp? Not necessarily - even a 2-channel bridged would do. When the voice coils are connected in parallel, the impedance is less and most amps can dump more power into the sub
-Impedance - 4ohms, 2ohms and 1ohm the lower the ohm rating, the more powerful the amp should be right? No, lower the impedance, more power the amp can dump into the sub. Most amps cannot feed less than 2 ohm load.
-Cone material - this determines the durability of the woofer? No, the cone material generally should be stiff and light, that's all. ...
See answers in bold above.

Instead of reading specs, it is better that you audition subs whenever & wherever you can. More than suitability due to specs, availability & price usually take precedence, unless you want to spend more time searching and comparing rather than buying and enjoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
... Speakers for it (should fit in the doors as stock) and tweeters. I listen to classic pop and rock. Sometimes hip hop mostly english music. ...

... i do not want too much bass heavy system, something average better than stock. Also if i go for subwoofer i do not want a box ...
Speakers rear
Speakers front
Amp
Tweeters
wiring

Tube subwoofer if any....(optional)
Listening to Hip-hop and not wanting a bass heavy system are contradictory!

1. Put a pair of components in front (tweeters come as a part of the set) - Infinity, Bull, Auditor, JBL, Blaupunkt etc.
2. A pair of round coaxials for the rear - same brands as above
3. Amp - JBL, Kenwood, Blaupunkt, etc.
4. Use a good Indian power cable like Finolex, L&T, Havells etc. for bringing power to the amp. Buy some good quality RCA cables to connect the amp to the HU
5. Sub: the best for you would be a 12" sub in a sealed box. You could make a fiber glass enclosure on the side opposite to the fuel tank inlet - this will keep the boot floor free. Tube should be your last resort, and remember tube does take up significant boot floor area.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2010, 00:32   #10475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
See answers in bold above.

Instead of reading specs, it is better that you audition subs whenever & wherever you can. More than suitability due to specs, availability & price usually take precedence, unless you want to spend more time searching and comparing rather than buying and enjoying.

Listening to Hip-hop and not wanting a bass heavy system are contradictory!

1. Put a pair of components in front (tweeters come as a part of the set) - Infinity, Bull, Auditor, JBL, Blaupunkt etc.
2. A pair of round coaxials for the rear - same brands as above
3. Amp - JBL, Kenwood, Blaupunkt, etc.
4. Use a good Indian power cable like Finolex, L&T, Havells etc. for bringing power to the amp. Buy some good quality RCA cables to connect the amp to the HU
5. Sub: the best for you would be a 12" sub in a sealed box. You could make a fiber glass enclosure on the side opposite to the fuel tank inlet - this will keep the boot floor free. Tube should be your last resort, and remember tube does take up significant boot floor area.

Thanx for the reply Der Alte. I meant i do not listen to much hip hop...thanx for the advice though. Any good recommendation for installer...somebody pro..with lot of knowledge.

Last edited by Mindgrinder : 1st November 2010 at 00:33.
Old 1st November 2010, 09:30   #10476
Senior - BHPian

Try Driven in East of Kailash.
Old 1st November 2010, 13:41   #10477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Try Driven in East of Kailash.
thanx again DerAlte.
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:21   #10478
BANNED

hi gurus,
for my Bolero i have brought 1400watts dual coil pioneer sub TSW308D4 to be connected with JBL 4 channel with JVC 7404 HU.Box size is 50ltrs ie 14.5 each in LBH. with port of 3inch dia and 7inch lenght.
1)Do i need to go for a mono block or existing 2 channel from 4channel amp can serve.
2)I prefer deep bass with shrill !!
3)I have made serial connection of the voice coil in Sub woofer, is there any other way to get better out put from my Amp.
4)Iam having a spare Sound stream 4channel Amp, do i need to use this as well.
Regards,
Rajith
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:15   #10479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
... 3)I have made serial connection of the voice coil in Sub woofer, is there any other way to get better out put from my Amp ...
In series the 2 coils will be 8 ohms - and your amp will push far less power. Please connect the 2 voice coils in parallel to get 2 ohms.
Old 2nd November 2010, 20:36   #10480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
In what context? There is edge diffraction and baffle step compensation both of which are related to speaker boxes, there is also the steepness of a crosoover (slope), ....
I am talking about Crossover Slope. Is it configurable on the amp?
Old 2nd November 2010, 22:23   #10481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
I am talking about Crossover Slope. Is it configurable on the amp?
No they are fixed in your case.
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:53   #10482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
hi gurus,
for my Bolero i have brought 1400watts dual coil pioneer sub TSW308D4 to be connected with JBL 4 channel with JVC 7404 HU.Box size is 50ltrs ie 14.5 each in LBH. with port of 3inch dia and 7inch lenght.
1)Do i need to go for a mono block or existing 2 channel from 4channel amp can serve.
2)I prefer deep bass with shrill !!
3)I have made serial connection of the voice coil in Sub woofer, is there any other way to get better out put from my Amp.
4)Iam having a spare Sound stream 4channel Amp, do i need to use this as well.
Regards,
Rajith
What about your speakers? Components? Coaxials? Where are you going to get the "shrill" from?

A dual 4Ω woofer is tricky. Put it in series and you have 8Ω, the amplifier will underperform. Put it in parallel and it turns into 2Ω, which is ok for a single channel amplifier, but not ok if you connect it in bridged mode.

The thing is, that in bridged mode, each individual channel "sees" half the impedance. So most amplifiers require the minimum impedance to be 4Ω in case of bridging. (so that each individual channel only sees 2Ω and not 1Ω)

If I was you, I would use an entire 4 channel amplifier for that woofer. Bridge 2 channels into one 4Ω coil and the other 2 channels to the other 4Ω coil.

Then I'd use another 4 channel amplifier to drive the 4 speakers. So yes, you should use both your JBL as well as your soundstream amplifier.

Now tell us what speakers you want to use Mr. Shrill.
Old 3rd November 2010, 00:04   #10483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking View Post
Hello!

Newbie here, and would like to know what are all the specs one should consider while shortlisting sub-woofers to audition.
A few pointers as to how each of these specifications effect the sound will be very much appreciated!

If I get it right,
-Freq response - 20Khz is the min the human ear can hear, so looking for something that can go that low.. What is the top freq that a sub should hit?
-S/n ratio - The lower the better?
-Power - This is basically how loud the sub can get? so 200/300 Watts RMS should do for basic SQ setups?
-Singe coil/Dual voice coil - How does this effect the sub? Dual coil subs can be fed via a mono-amp?
-Impedance - 4ohms, 2ohms and 1ohm the lower the ohm rating, the more powerful the amp should be right?
-Cone material - this determines the durability of the woofer?

Thanks!
Hello Spyking.

20khz is not the minimum humans can hear, it is 20Hz. A good 19,980 Hz lower than 20KHz.

In the case of a subwoofer, you needn't worry about the top frequency. You don't want your subwoofer to go high in any case. A typical scenario involving an automotive subwoofer usually involves a low pass filter that typically cuts off all sound to the subwoofer above 100 Hz (this is just an example, depending on the "tuning" it could be lower or a little higher)

No, in the case of the subwoofer, the question you want to ask is "Bass, how low can you go?"

S/N ratio is something that is related to active electronics and amplifying components. Not subwoofers and speakers.

Yes Power is definitely something you should consider. But remember, you need to get a powerful amplifier to drive a subwoofer with more power.

I'm not a fan of dual coil subwoofers, but they work well, depending on the situation. See the post just before this to understand some of the problems. A dual coil is neither better, nor worse than a single coil subwoofer. It is just wound differently and offers a split impedance coil, allowing you greater flexibility in terms of series-parallel arrangements, or multi-amplification.

Most automotive subwoofers are typically 4Ω. It would be unusual to find something different. However dual coil subwoofers are available in dual 8Ω, dual 4Ω and dual 2Ω - depending on the combination and configuration you were looking for.

Cone material - is basically the ideal compromise between perfect sound, reliability and cosmetics.

Let's make this easier. What's your budget, what is your car, what is the volume you like to listen to music at and what kind of music do you like?

Answer these and some of the experienced folk here will probably push you towards the right subwoofers to listen to.

Edit: In my enthusiasm to answer, i neglected to notice that Der Alte already did. I should be spanked.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 3rd November 2010 at 00:06.
Old 3rd November 2010, 08:55   #10484
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed replies

And the 20khz was a typo, sorry!

My budget would be 3-4k for the sub, car is an i20, and music taste would be progressive rock, a little house, and a few billboard top 10 thrown in.. Music volume would be normally low. I would like tight bass, rather than muddy and boomy bass..

Thanks!
Old 3rd November 2010, 08:57   #10485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

If I was you, I would use an entire 4 channel amplifier for that woofer. Bridge 2 channels into one 4Ω coil and the other 2 channels to the other 4Ω coil.
Thank you Sam ji. I had this doubt for quite sometime now.

Planning this kinda setup for my Swift.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks