Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2012, 18:45   #11881
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

I am looking at the following two Head Units from Pioneer:
  • DEH-X7590SD
  • DEH-5490SD

The 5490 costs INR 1000 more than the 7590. However, comparing the two units, I couldn't find any difference between them. They seem identical feature-wise. Can anybody help me out in this?
Old 31st December 2012, 10:54   #11882
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
And it was during this research that I found about some offers on Digital Designs (from BBW Distributors), which led me to increase my budget in order to get an amplifier that seemed better (at least the build quality).

As for the power cables, I ended up getting a 2 guage kit since the industrial wires were becoming too much of a hassle.

I ended up getting the JVC-R90BT & my initial observation is that it's not quite there in terms of the audio clarity; it's good no doubt & maybe it's just me, but it feels lacking something..By the way, personally, the Kenwood 8016BT sounded the exact same to me.

For the speaker wires, used the Rockford Fosgate 16AWG OFC wire to power the front components & my old JBL 5mm sq. OFC wire for the subwoofers.

Lastly, for the alternator, I did some more research & found that the Figo's alternator is 120A....The Figo's battery is 50A..
Sadly I have not heard the Digital Designs amp you mention. If it felt good to you it is good enough.

Yes JVC does leave a bit out when it comes to music. If your ears have evolved to this level do try out an Alpine. I find they do something pretty well. I cant put my finger on it but what they reproduce sounds closest to good music. Clarion is also supposed to be musical (at least some older Clarions were) but their service is iffy.

Your poewr and speaker cables seem fine. You should ok with the altrnator and battery too. Remember music eergy varies alot and your battery will act like a big capacitor (giving an energy boost for a few 100 miliseconds). The first sign you will have of the battery-alternator system not being able to keep up is a diming of lights every time the bass hits.

Last edited by navin : 3rd January 2013 at 10:18.
Old 31st December 2012, 14:11   #11883
BHPian

I have been looking around for a few 2nd hand HUs now as well, and came across a few that has Time Alignment. I have no experience with TA, and what I have learnt from very limited research is that its a technology that makes sure that all the sound from all the drivers reach the listener at the same time (in complete layman terms). This makes the details more accurate and the sound-stage more balanced.

So what exactly is TA? A clearer perspective from the gurus would be helpful. Also, how much of a difference would it make? I am considering installing an HU with TA in my Alto, which I drive mostly with the front windows halfway down. Would this reduce the effect I would have with TA?

Also, a little amateur question. Is the adjustment of TA wrt the driver? Or in general terms, is it done with respect to one particular position in the car? If yes, does this hamper the listening for other passengers in the car?
Old 1st January 2013, 20:21   #11884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I have been looking around for a few 2nd hand HUs now as well, and came across a few that has Time Alignment....
The Time Alignment is delaying a signal through the drivers. In real time, advancing a signal is not possible, but adjust the signal from the drivers based on the listener's position. This requires a Digital Signal Processor. Yes, you need to use this feature if you are driving alone in the car for best results or need to re-adjust when people are present. Its uses a MIC held at your siting position and a white noise generated by AHU to adjust the parameters. If this feature is activated, the acoustics will definitely change when passengers are present due to reflections. This feature will slightly differ the sound for the passengers if they listen carefully. I have used this feature in a Blaupunkt high end single DIN.

For Alto type cabin, the acoustics have less volume. This feature is not mandatorily required. You may consider appropriate locations for installing the speakers. A proper amplifier should give you the desired results.

Before selecting an AHU (Audio Head Unit) that you have mentioned in earlier posts, I would rather suggest have a look by taking it in your hand. Alpine with 2 or 3 RCAs should work out well for you. Alpine quality of Audio as well its build is not compromised.

If you are looking for used AHUs, Pioneer 5050/6050 or 5190/6190 were the best. There are some shops on the way to Madgaon Konkan railway station or you may try at Bicholim, which would be far for you.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 1st January 2013 at 20:32.
yogeshnaik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 21:19   #11885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
The Time Alignment is delaying a signal through the drivers. In real time, advancing a signal is not possible, but adjust the signal from the drivers based on the listener's position. This requires a Digital Signal Processor. Yes, you need to use this feature if you are driving alone in the car for best results or need to re-adjust when people are present. Its uses a MIC held at your siting position and a white noise generated by AHU to adjust the parameters. If this feature is activated, the acoustics will definitely change when passengers are present due to reflections. This feature will slightly differ the sound for the passengers if they listen carefully. I have used this feature in a Blaupunkt high end single DIN.

For Alto type cabin, the acoustics have less volume. This feature is not mandatorily required. You may consider appropriate locations for installing the speakers. A proper amplifier should give you the desired results.

Before selecting an AHU (Audio Head Unit) that you have mentioned in earlier posts, I would rather suggest have a look by taking it in your hand. Alpine with 2 or 3 RCAs should work out well for you. Alpine quality of Audio as well its build is not compromised.

If you are looking for used AHUs, Pioneer 5050/6050 or 5190/6190 were the best. There are some shops on the way to Madgaon Konkan railway station or you may try at Bicholim, which would be far for you.
Thanks. That was very helpful.

I considered Alpine actually, but the few that I found are generally going over my budget. A dealer has offered me Pioneer DEH-X7590SD at 7.5k, and is ready to reduce 2.5k for my existing Pioneer MVH-1490UB, which sweetens the deal.

As for the Pioneer HUs you have mentioned, I will see if I can find any used ones. So far I haven't been able to.

Yes Bicholim would be far, but would you recommend any competent installer there? I don't mind making the trip if it will be worth it. This is because genuine knowledgeable installers are few in Goa. Either that or I have been unlucky in my quest so far.

On the way to Madgaon Railway station, which stores are you talking about? There are couple of them near PowerHouse but mostly I have found them below standards.
Old 1st January 2013, 22:02   #11886
BHPian

Quote:
On the way to Madgaon Railway station, which stores are you talking about? There are couple of them near PowerHouse but mostly I have found them below standards...
At Bicholim, he is Latif, a professional installer and is a confident person for doing tasks. My cousin from Panaji goes to him, says he is a knoweledgeable guy. Sent you his number through PM.

I had experience with Pioneer AHUs, had two of them, 5150 and 2 DIN 6050. These were great, but I would recommend you to buy official Pioneer only, you will get warranty. Listen to Alpine, they are premium, you may ask for CDE-110e costing near to 4.9K, but with 1 RCA, you can extend this input from amp's RCA out as well.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 1st January 2013 at 22:29.
yogeshnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:49   #11887
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
For Alto type cabin, the acoustics have less volume. This feature is not mandatorily required.
Yogesh, thanks for the nice explanation. However since in cars we tend to put the subwoofer in the rear and the rest of our sound comes from the front even in cars as small as the Alto, TA can help move the bass upfront.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:37   #11888
Senior - BHPian

Our Indigo XL Grand Dicor came with Nippon DVD Player as OE.
There is an Aux Vin Cable behind the player (not connector at the back of the player).
I want to know whether I can use this cable to connect my Phone or any other Player to the existing speakers.
To put it more simple, Can I use "3.5mm Male Jack on Both Sides Cable" to hear the songs on my Phone over the speakers of the car through the Aux Vin Cable Connector present in the bundle of Nippon DVD Player which came as OE with the car?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 2nd January 2013 at 18:40.
Old 2nd January 2013, 21:18   #11889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Our Indigo XL Grand Dicor came with Nippon DVD Player as OE.
There is an Aux Vin Cable behind the player (not connector at the back of the player).
I want to know whether I can use this cable to connect my Phone or any other Player to the existing speakers.
To put it more simple, Can I use "3.5mm Male Jack on Both Sides Cable" to hear the songs on my Phone over the speakers of the car through the Aux Vin Cable Connector present in the bundle of Nippon DVD Player which came as OE with the car?
Your post is slightly unclear. Let me get this straight. There is a cable that has 3.5 mm male connectors on both sides, looks like this:

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-3.5mmjackleadmaletomalestereo.jpg

Am I right?

If yes, then where does this connect to in your player? Or, where is this supposed to be connected?
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 21:53   #11890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...There is an Aux Vin Cable behind the player (not connector at the back of the player). ...
There should be a socket that looks like the EP socket on your phone, at the end of that Aux-in cable. If so, yes you can plug in that cable with 3.5mm plugs on both ends to connect your phone and play music. Check the manual how to switch to Aux-in input.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:06   #11891
BHPian

Has anyone here used JVC kd-x40 usb only head unit , i am planning to get for my soon to come vista ,It is available at snapdeal.com for 4k after 10% disc, and what should be best speaker option in 10k budget only for speakers without amp. Pls suggest only door options as i dont like rear parcel tray with speakers.
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:22   #11892
Senior - BHPian

Swarnava, the cable you mentioned is what I was referring to.

DerAlte, Yes I want to connect the 3.5mm cable to my 3.5mm EP (Earphone) socket so that I can listen the songs on my phone over the car speakers through Aux In facility.

But I have one more doubt.
If you observe the EP socket of the phone properly, there are two beads (I think you get it correctly) one below the other for the RH and LH sides. These beads get connected to the slots on the 3.5mm Jack (See above picture- There are 3 slots separated by 2 black rubber or plastic rings).
But when I observed the Aux Vin Socket, there are no such beads. Doesn't that All the Three Wires of Cable?
Old 2nd January 2013, 23:03   #11893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

DerAlte, Yes I want to connect the 3.5mm cable to my 3.5mm EP (Earphone) socket so that I can listen the songs on my phone over the car speakers through Aux In facility.

If you observe the EP socket of the phone properly, there are two beads (I think you get it correctly) one below the other for the RH and LH sides. These beads get connected to the slots on the 3.5mm Jack (See above picture- There are 3 slots separated by 2 black rubber or plastic rings).
But when I observed the Aux Vin Socket, there are no such beads. Doesn't that All the Three Wires of Cable?
These connectors are made to a particular standard. The phone headphone out, cable and Aux In present in the car all follow the same standard. No reason why it will not work.

Give it a try, this cable will hardly cost you 50-100rs.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 23:16   #11894
BHPian

Quote:

As per my knowledge, the beads in the EP socket of the phone correspond to those on the headset of the phone. They need to be separated because internally within the socket, one of them connects to the mouthpiece or microphone on the headset.

However, for a regular cable as in the picture I have posted, separation between bi-directional audio is not required as audio signals will travel only in one direction. Hence, the connector looks different. Try it out, no reason why it shouldn't work.

If any of the above posted information is incorrect, please correct me.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:16   #11895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... there are two beads (I think you get it correctly) one below the other for the RH and LH sides. ...
But when I observed the Aux Vin Socket, there are no such beads. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
... The phone headphone out, cable and Aux In present in the car all follow the same standard. ...
Correct. The 2 'beads' are insulators separating the 3 connections: L, R and Gnd. In the socket, there are elbow-shaped pins that make connection to the connections on the plug (difficult to see), hence no 'beads'.

Quote:
As per my knowledge, the beads in the EP socket of the phone correspond to those on the headset of the phone. They need to be separated because internally within the socket, one of them connects to the mouthpiece or microphone on the headset. ...
You are talking of the '3-bead' plug of a headset with mic.

Search on the 'net, you will find a diagram comparing a 4 connection headset arrangement and a 3 connection headphone arrangement. The length of the plug is same in both. The 4th connection, the mic signal, is another ring (and insulator) near the outermost (shield), but is shorted out by the (longer) outermost conductor ring in a 3 connection headphone arrangement.

Quote:
... However, for a regular cable as in the picture I have posted, separation between bi-directional audio is not required as audio signals will travel only in one direction. Hence, the connector looks different. ...
Huh, what? Bidirectional? Ah, you mean output (speakers) one direction and input (mic) the other direction? Yes, but it is expressed in a different way normally!
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks