Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 10:26   #8416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
Which speaker is best suited for Instrumental music, like of Violin and Piano.
And Which Speaker is best suited for Vocal.
Since violins can hurt I would look at speakers that have a smooth/polite if not slightly recessed upper midrange and few if any break up nodes (think doped paper cones etc..). In a home system I would consider a 4-5" with a wide smooth response from 200-4k but in a car a 4" ain't going to cut the mustard so look at 6" that have a smooth roll off.
Old 21st July 2008, 10:55   #8417
Senior - BHPian

I know this is a BIG generalization, but I look for stuff made of natural stuff. paper coned mids/woofers, silk tweeters etc. while no doubt metal tweeters and poly cones can be made to sound well behaved, I prefer mother nature's handiwork

Last edited by greenhorn : 21st July 2008 at 10:57.
Old 21st July 2008, 11:19   #8418
BHPian

Naveen, Deralte, Speedzak & Hydrashok

Thank you for your views. I have shelved the idea of the SWW install. I will be going in either for a boot side install or a box enclosure.

Would you recommend driving a GTO-1264 (300w @ 4ohm) with a CS300.1 (200w @ 4ohm) or a Pio 5300T (380w @ 4ohm). I want some bass & a kick at times, but not necessarily a huge amount of bass.

Also note, how they say its 190w x 2 @ 2ohm, but 380w x 1 @ 4ohm. Do you think its a valid claim? Its CEA-2006 compliant.

Thanks, Giri
Old 21st July 2008, 11:22   #8419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I know this is a BIG generalization, but I look for stuff made of natural stuff. paper coned mids/woofers, silk tweeters etc. while no doubt metal tweeters and poly cones can be made to sound well behaved, I prefer mother nature's handiwork
Very few car speaker manufacturer make paper cones for cars.

Few are DLS iridium, Hertz Hi-Energy series there will be more....
Old 21st July 2008, 13:07   #8420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
Would you recommend driving a GTO-1264 (300w @ 4ohm) with a CS300.1 (200w @ 4ohm) or a Pio 5300T (380w @ 4ohm). I want some bass & a kick at times, but not necessarily a huge amount of bass.
I'd try the Pio 5300T. I have never heard this amp but have heard the D510 and it was a good VFM sub amp.
Old 21st July 2008, 15:26   #8421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
6.5" round speakers, in general, cannot rival 6x9s' bass delivery. 8"ers can, some 6.5" 'subs' may, but then price and other factors make them impractical. 6x9s are generally a jugaad substitute for a sub. A sub is irreplaceable if you really want the lows.

At the moment you are looking at it subjectively. Try and hook up with some TBHPians in Pune and listen to the installs that don't have 6x9 - they may have a sub but the sub volume can be reduced for you to get a feel of what a good 6.5" speaker can do.
Not really. Neither is the MDF's weight enough to ensure a tight seal, nor is the side of the tyre a smooth surface (look closely).
I have had an experience with the Pioneer 6X9's earlier in my Santro and they were too good. But the Santro is not there anymore, replaced with a Palio 1.6.
It already has a Blaupunkt Long Beach (Cassette) player and the 6.5" speakers in the front, but they aren't that great as far as the effect is concerned. Want to upgrade to CD/USB HU, but confused with the Speakers. So wanted to know about whether there are speakers there in the market and match the sound quality of he 6X9's. I do not know anyone from Pune who has installed 6.5"s.
If anyone can suggest me the Make and product name, I shall try and arrange for a demo at the dealers.
Old 24th July 2008, 00:53   #8422
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some more advise, this time about the enclosures & subs.

I wanted to build a sealed enclosure. My question is: Can the shape of the enclosure be anything as long as the required volume is achieved. I'm thinking of a thin and wide box (say 7.5" thin, 2ft wide and 1ft tall).

About the Subs: How would you compare the SQ of a
a) Polk 12" 124DVC Sub (360rms @2ohm)
b) Infinity Reference 1250W (300rms @4ohm),
c) GTO-1264 (300rms @4ohms)

They will have to run off a JBL GTO 300.1 (300rms @2ohm / 200rms @4ohm)
This was the best amp I could find for Rs.6k

Will this amp be enough to power the Infinity or GTO subs which are 4ohm. I need some, but NOT a lot of SPL.

Thanks, Giri
Old 24th July 2008, 09:27   #8423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some more advise, this time about the enclosures & subs.

I wanted to build a sealed enclosure. My question is: Can the shape of the enclosure be anything as long as the required volume is achieved. I'm thinking of a thin and wide box (say 7.5" thin, 2ft wide and 1ft tall).
Waiting to see the answers to this one. I too have the same query. I picked up a sub enclosure from a friend, who had not made it the regular geometric way. It was done rather creatively, so as to fit perfectly in the boot of his Zen (i.e. has a curvy front rather than sloping). However, the enclosure is small and has the required volume. So will the shape of enclosure have an effect on the bass?
Old 24th July 2008, 09:39   #8424
Senior - BHPian

actually curved/non parallel edges are better for bass
Old 24th July 2008, 09:42   #8425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
the enclosure is small and has the required volume. So will the shape of enclosure have an effect on the bass?
I don't think the shape will matter its the volume which matters.Odd shapes will cancel standing waves which is good in case of sealed enclosure- gurus please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:47   #8426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, Giri
Yes. The shape can be tall and thin or short and fat, as long as the internal volume is the same as recommended.
Old 24th July 2008, 10:12   #8427
BHPian

Some observation about sound qualities throught different media
Worst was through FM
Then through the USB it was better
Then through the MP3 CDs it was much better(one which is based on size of CD, 700 MB and you can fill any no of songs upto this limit)
Then best was Audio CD (One based on time, 70min)

The difference between Audio CDs and rest of the medias is so huge that once you are used to Audio CDs, you wont like listening through other medias.
The main problem with Audio CDs is that I can't put more than 15-17 songs, as its based on time scale. Is there any way that I can put more songs in a CD without loosing the Sound quality of Audio CDS. Something like best of both, MP3 CDs and Audio CDs.
Old 24th July 2008, 10:23   #8428
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Yes. The shape can be tall and thin or short and fat, as long as the internal volume is the same as recommended.
Is it really so? Is not a certain backfill volume necessary?
Old 24th July 2008, 11:16   #8429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
The main problem with Audio CDs is that I can't put more than 15-17 songs, as its based on time scale. Is there any way that I can put more songs in a CD without loosing the Sound quality of Audio CDS. Something like best of both, MP3 CDs and Audio CDs.
Don't think so. Audio CD has the full raw data and a 700MB CD can only include 8-9 to 16-17 songs only according to song length. Audio CD remains the best, better way to use mp3 is to use a good convertor mechanism to convert it to mp3 with maximum quality. I use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and Lame encorder to do this. This software is free to download. This will give you mp3s in 320kbps VBR with good quality. I feel the difference in same song which I downloaded from net (128 kbps, ordinary windows media conversion) and the one I converted from Audio CD using EAC. May be some one else can suggest other ways too if any. I am also keen to know that.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:29   #8430
Senior - BHPian

redfire , use a USB drive man on your HU man. I cant :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks