Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:53   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Nair. The sub is SO solid that bags ramming it from the rear wont be a problem. Also, there is heavy luggage in my car once in 2-3 years, so I wouldn't bother about that.
I use my car as a personal point and shoot toy. It's not used by the others at home too. So I am ok with having so many 'gadgets' in the boot
+
Thats well - so quite nice system (like sound theatre with dolby stereo system in your car/boot - may be better than this ?).
May be I too would like to have a sub to be fitted alongwith the stock ice but then I was told that need a ampi to support the sub. Not many good workshops here even to check about this (need to go 40kms away to find a shop). Let me see if I can do it when I go out (either to Bangalore or Chennai)
Enjoy the music in full blast now

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd December 2009 at 12:59. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:58   #227
Senior - BHPian

Thats another Ridiculous post from you after the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG
4) By crowded and downmarket what I meant was it looks like you've spent Rs 20K on the system opposed to the true lakhs that you have. While to some this may not be important, I stated my opinion. If I had a Lamborghini I wouldn't keep it parked at home under a cover that said Maruti, I'd drive it all over Mumbai! Doesn't make one a show off, it is what it is...
Could you please show me one car from inside or outside which looks anything like Frank's & where the ICE has costed under 20k?

Also In this entire thread did you ever read anywhere that he wants to show off how much expensive / bling his ICE is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG
Criticism is the hardest thing to take, and it's even harder to recognize when it's truly constructive. It's hard for me to stay quiet when I see true potential, I can't sit there and be "Oh great/cool...Wow" So I pen out my thoughts and hope for the best.
Thats absolutely fine & is actually expected but you cant starts airing your doubts the way you have, even others felt the space issue but see how they have asked or mentioned it.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd December 2009 at 12:59.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:21   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
with respect to teh 6x9s, I was only worried that the front wave does not cancel the back wave.
Navin, in the pics it appears as if there is a huge gap between the top of the 6x9's chassis and the spacer. But there is actually a plastic ring on the speaker. Marked in pic below.

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-moreltempocoax6x9.jpg

That is in contact with the spacer.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:44   #229
Senior - BHPian

Oh Franky, fantabulouse, Outstanding, mind-boggling (anything else can I borrow from Sa Re Ga Ma Pa or Comedy Circus ?)..!!!!

I had the same doubt as someone pointed out, about the space availability in the boot. But your last set of pictures clears all that doubt. You have enough space to keep a 5 days holiday stuff of the family, no doubt. What more can anyone ask for ?

Have you used noisekill anywhere else than the doors (include side and boot) ? Sorry if I missed the related post somewhere here. I hear people do a 100% damping by covering the doors, boot, floor, side panels, firewall (wall between engine and cabin) etc. which I have also seen in the 'overhauling' programe. It applies only to a set up like yours, not meant for an ordinary amp and sub set up.
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:48   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+
Thats well - so quite nice system (like sound theatre with dolby stereo system in your car/boot - may be better than this ?).
May be I too would like to have a sub to be fitted alongwith the stock ice but then I was told that need a ampi to support the sub. Not many good workshops here even to check about this (need to go 40kms away to find a shop). Let me see if I can do it when I go out (either to Bangalore or Chennai)
Enjoy the music in full blast now
Get a sub and amp and open a new thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Oh Franky, fantabulouse, Outstanding, mind-boggling (anything else can I borrow from Sa Re Ga Ma Pa or Comedy Circus ?)..!!!!

I had the same doubt as someone pointed out, about the space availability in the boot. But your last set of pictures clears all that doubt. You have enough space to keep a 5 days holiday stuff of the family, no doubt. What more can anyone ask for ?

Have you used noisekill anywhere else than the doors (include side and boot) ? Sorry if I missed the related post somewhere here. I hear people do a 100% damping by covering the doors, boot, floor, side panels, firewall (wall between engine and cabin) etc. which I have also seen in the 'overhauling' programe. It applies only to a set up like yours, not meant for an ordinary amp and sub set up.
thank you, thank you! i have used noisekill on the doors, entire boot and the side panels of the boot. The firewall has not been touched.

What do you mean ordinary? boss, ANY setup with an amp and sub is bound to sound special. You just need someone to extract the BEST out of the system for you.
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:20   #231
Senior - BHPian

I used the word 'ordinary' in 2 contexts. One is the poor man who is just happy with some DINCHAK once a while, second is the low profile amp and sub (may be we classify them as 'budget' set up), to be more specific, a total system that might fall within 10k. Hope I am clear.

Yours is different in somany ways. Should I explain that ? Right from the 'patton tank' like Sub, highquality cables, wires, carefully chosen components, rears, personalised fiber enclosure, unique HU, list goes on and on. So I may add 'EXTRA' to 'Ordinary' and it sounds perfect !
Old 4th December 2009, 08:56   #232
Senior - BHPian

Heheheh, Shaju. Good nomenclature, classification and taxonomy. LOL.
I am yet to extract full potential from the 'patton tank' since the RTA has to be done ;-)
Old 4th December 2009, 10:22   #233
BHPian

i frankly feel the enclosure that youve made for the sub would have looked good if you had multiple subs.it looks a little unbalanced right now.
if opinions are welcomed then i would say that the way the amps are placed kinda spoil the show.
Old 4th December 2009, 15:45   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe View Post
it looks a little unbalanced right now.
You are forcing someone to spend more bucks, sadly his money 'tree' was sold long back too !! According to me, it hardly matters how the boot looks like when its kept open, because its not supposed to be kept open at any given time. If the music is rocking inside, thats all what matters !
Old 5th December 2009, 08:39   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe View Post
i frankly feel the enclosure that youve made for the sub would have looked good if you had multiple subs.it looks a little unbalanced right now.
if opinions are welcomed then i would say that the way the amps are placed kinda spoil the show.
Opinions in good taste are always welcomed bro! Almost all the components in this car are based on opinions and suggestions. So please keep them coming!

As for the show at the rear, I'd think the enclosure tries to maintain a stock look and practicality and convenience of fitting all the amps on the rack made show and bling take a backseat, because those were not priorities anyway. This has been done as per my request, and as per my taste. We might have seen far more tastefully done installs, and this one is more focussed on how it is going to sound. Then again, I am still not happy with a few things, but that is equipment dependent, and I will sort those 'issues' out soon.
About the install, I would say that this is the best way to fit 3 amplifiers, 2 crossovers, a 1.2 cu. ft. enclosure and a mammoth sub, WITH the ability to remove the spare wheel, have about 300 litres of boot space AND not look like a 15 year old 'junkie's' tastelessly done truck at the same time. I like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
You are forcing someone to spend more bucks, sadly his money 'tree' was sold long back too !! According to me, it hardly matters how the boot looks like when its kept open, because its not supposed to be kept open at any given time. If the music is rocking inside, thats all what matters !
Yes! The tree is long gone. I miss my tree :-(... (sob)

Music is still not as rocking as I thought. But RTA and some tweaking will do the trick. Cabin gain is turning out to be a large factor in the boot, and needs to be worked out soon. BUT, I know it's going to sound amazing in a few days!

Last edited by frankmehta : 5th December 2009 at 08:43.
Old 5th December 2009, 09:45   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Opinions in good taste are always welcomed bro! Almost all the components in this car are based on opinions and suggestions. So please keep them coming!

As for the show at the rear, I'd think the enclosure tries to maintain a stock look and practicality and convenience of fitting all the amps on the rack made show and bling take a backseat, because those were not priorities anyway. This has been done as per my request, and as per my taste. We might have seen far more tastefully done installs, and this one is more focussed on how it is going to sound. Then again, I am still not happy with a few things, but that is equipment dependent, and I will sort those 'issues' out soon.
About the install, I would say that this is the best way to fit 3 amplifiers, 2 crossovers, a 1.2 cu. ft. enclosure and a mammoth sub, WITH the ability to remove the spare wheel, have about 300 litres of boot space AND not look like a 15 year old 'junkie's' tastelessly done truck at the same time. I like!

Yes! The tree is long gone. I miss my tree :-(... (sob)

Music is still not as rocking as I thought. But RTA and some tweaking will do the trick. Cabin gain is turning out to be a large factor in the boot, and needs to be worked out soon. BUT, I know it's going to sound amazing in a few days!

in the end is all about the music...i agree...
i just think you should clip the amps on the left side..i would give it a more balanced look.
Old 5th December 2009, 16:14   #237
naughty001

Quote:
Music is still not as rocking as I thought. But RTA and some tweaking will do the trick.
If you are still unhappy with the bass, i have a few theories on that

1) You have a sedan this is always going to be softer than a hatchback because a well built sedan tries to keep that sound in the boot instead of allowing it to spread. In theory according to my way of thinking it should be easily around 6 to 10 db lower in sound pressure level than having the same equipment in a hatchback vehicle

2) Secondly you have a box in your boot/trunk, so its a box within a box with a hole on one side which is supposed to let the sound go out into your cabin. does this sound familiar .... it should since that type of arrangement is more commonly known as a bandpass because its a box within a box with a port (the hole is effectively a port with a small surface area) creates the bandpass enclosure. So this on its own will be creating cancellations that you dont know about

3) thirdly in installing 6x9 speakers on the rear deck which have the rear exposed to the output of the sub this creates further cancellation because the sub will be creating pressure and hence this pressure will be attempting to move the cone, Every panel that is subject to that pressure will resonate and anything movable will move in conjunction with that pressure even if it already has its own natural movement already so effectively the 6x9 will be attempting to work like a passive radiator but if the musical signal it receives is out of phase with the sound that the sub is creating you will get further cancellation, hence why installers avoid to use any speaker on the rear deck if you dont have those enclosed

To be honest i would have used another smaller set of efficient coaxials on the rear doors rather instead of 6x9's because eventually the output/pressure from the sub will cause the output from the 6x9's to distort as well as cancel other sounds that you should be hearing because the front wave of the sub and the rear wave of the 6x9 would be creating a destructive interference and also the as i have stated above the pressure and resonance cause the 6x9 to work like a (poor) passive radiator.

Anyway it's all just theory on my part and just my opinions on what could possibly be causing your unhappiness because you don't seem 100% satisfied. Maybe it is tuning or maybe its a few install concept flaws (note : i dont mean installation but the underlying concept), but if the tuning doesn't work as you like it then possibly whatever i have said might be factor's to consider

Last edited by naughty001 : 5th December 2009 at 16:30.

Old 5th December 2009, 19:47   #238
Senior - BHPian

@ naughty - Everything you say is perfectly valid. One thing you might want to note - frankmehta is relatively unhappy. As compared to his older setup. The current car has a little bit of gear relocated from the older car, which by the way, was also a sedan. And since we know all cars or even all sedans don't behave the same, we're trying to fix that aspect before pointing fingers at the gear.

By the way, the 6x9s were recently added. And the sub bass sounds just like it did before the addition of the 6x9s.
Old 5th December 2009, 20:54   #239
BHPian

Hey Frankie,

Where did you buy the morels from ? Which shop ? Where ?

Cheers
M
Old 5th December 2009, 21:25   #240
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
@ naughty - Everything you say is perfectly valid. One thing you might want to note - frankmehta is relatively unhappy. As compared to his older setup. The current car has a little bit of gear relocated from the older car, which by the way, was also a sedan. And since we know all cars or even all sedans don't behave the same, we're trying to fix that aspect before pointing fingers at the gear.

By the way, the 6x9s were recently added. And the sub bass sounds just like it did before the addition of the 6x9s.
points duly noted, as i said it was just conjecture on the theory on my part but on all your points

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks