Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2009, 14:07   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
What happened about the enclosure Rishi, I suppose you wanted to build a new enclosure for the same ?
I got the new enclosure made as per measurements we discussed, and am really happy with results- bass goes much low and sounds more clean, less punchier though, but i can live with it. My only big grouse currently is with this sub-is-playing-in-a-different-cabin feeling, and i wanna get rid of it asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
But it might give more body to the entire soundstage and beef up the midbass.
With such powerful sub-stages in our cars, we feel midbass a wee bit lacking always, right Frank? ;-)
Old 27th November 2009, 14:45   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ust in case he decides to NOT bridge 2 channels each for the rears, I will have 2 channels extra. Which will never be put into use because ill have exhausted the no. Of speakers in the car.
You went and bought a 4-ch amp? Mad thai gayo chhe! There's no point bridging the amp into the 6x9s. They are very sensitive compared to the fronts, and will drown them with even 1/4th the bridged power.

Hence, let's do bi-amping. Tweeter level control at your fingertips. If you are sitting in the dicky, that is.

Quote:
You probably not feeling the 1200RMS could be coz of the Differential Drive System working efficiently which sends out low distortion, cleaner bass, more transparent.
It's nothing of that sort. I sense some acoustical problems. Will know after we run some tests.

Quote:
But be careful with xover point on them. In my case I have bandlimited them and it add some more open mid range to my front stage
Which crossover point? You mean you're running a low-pass filter on the rear speakers? How does that add open midrange to the fronts? Shouldn't you not even be hearing any midrange from the rears to avoid the front stage getting messed?
Old 27th November 2009, 16:56   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You probably not feeling the 1200RMS could be coz of the Differential Drive System working efficiently which sends out low distortion, cleaner bass, more transparent.
No man. 1200 W is 1200 W. There IS something wrong!

Quote:
More power to the Morels is always good. But how to blend them is the difficult part, but once you use the TA and bandlimit them they should add to your front stage. But if you simply running them for the rear passenger and would later switch them of for your use, than I suppose no need to run under bridge mode. But be careful with xover point on them. In my case I have bandlimited them and it add some more open mid range to my front stage, and if I have some one at the rear for long drive and complaining I have the flexibility of running them full range, you can say I have a processed rear setup
Hmmm. I will mostly HPF them @ 63 hz. The way it was in my Esteem.

Quote:
Anyways Let's catch up Franky, get some time out..it's been long due.
sure man,let this be sorted out. We shall meet up for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
I got the new enclosure made as per measurements we discussed, and am really happy with results- bass goes much low and sounds more clean, less punchier though, but i can live with it. My only big grouse currently is with this sub-is-playing-in-a-different-cabin feeling, and i wanna get rid of it asap.

With such powerful sub-stages in our cars, we feel midbass a wee bit lacking always, right Frank? ;-)
Hehehe. A powerful substage is of no use if it doesn't blend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
You went and bought a 4-ch amp? Mad thai gayo chhe! There's no point bridging the amp into the 6x9s. They are very sensitive compared to the fronts, and will drown them with even 1/4th the bridged power.
I thought of that later. I guess bridging is pushing it. LOL.
Quote:
Hence, let's do bi-amping. Tweeter level control at your fingertips. If you are sitting in the dicky, that is.

My Xover allows that already. It's just that I lost the extra Allen Key that Shafiq gave me. The WRONG modules are on, and by default the tweeters are playing at -4.5 db (a characteristic of that particular module)

Quote:
It's nothing of that sort. I sense some acoustical problems. Will know after we run some tests.

Quote:
Which crossover point? You mean you're running a low-pass filter on the rear speakers? How does that add open midrange to the fronts? Shouldn't you not even be hearing any midrange from the rears to avoid the front stage getting messed?
I am not understanding
Old 27th November 2009, 19:44   #199
Senior - BHPian

B&T: Well I have bandlimited the rear coax to HPF at 200hz at 12 db to 3.15hz at 12db octave, reversed the phase, used the TA on them, set the gain at minimal, it add more presence to front stage, and vocals are strong on center of the dash. One can get a feel how it sounds only when one listens to the setup.

Greenh0rn: Try playing around with mounting location, try reversing the phase of HU. It would get wee bit sloppy but its also digging lower. A smaller enclosure limits the low end extension, with the size you have your sub will play more efficiently in 20's. I say try different location.

Frankmehta: Frank you had stuffed in polyfill of about 1kg which is a lot, and could in turn make the enclosure act a bit smaller than actual size. Max with the size of enclosure you have you can add upto 700grams of polyfill, nothing more.
I am not sure if you removed your rear speakers and played the sub. But with ovals now going in, I would build an enclosure for the same where the bass doesnt play around with the midbass of the coax. Anyways, am sure Ajay has lot in store for the same.
Old 28th November 2009, 13:09   #200
Senior - BHPian

Some unboxing madness for all you guys. I don't know about you'll, but I am a sucker for unboxing the new stuff I buy. Here's a lot of pictures of the stuff I bought the other day.
Note: The Pioneer Head Unit is for the Zen, but included it as it looks yummy. Pioneer has now started upping their quality since the Premier series, and this one, though one of the entry level head units, is one of the best lookers according to me.

Here goes!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030635-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030636-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030640-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030641-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030642-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030644-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030646-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030647-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030648-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030650-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030649-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030651-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030652-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030654-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030657-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030658-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030661-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030666-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030667-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030668-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030669-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030673-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030676-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030677-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030678-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030682-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Old 30th November 2009, 03:25   #201
BHPian

Congrats Frank Ji,
how much did the 2190UB and JBL AMP costed ?
Old 30th November 2009, 09:18   #202
Senior - BHPian

Hi ghpk*G*
The head unit cost Rs. 5.4k with bill and warranty and the amp cost 5.5k.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:08   #203
Team-BHP Support

Frank does all the equipment in post #200 go int the zen? in that case it is better we have a seperate thread for this install.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:48   #204
Senior - BHPian

No no Navinji. All the stuff except for the head unit is going (in fact, already in) into the Fiesta.
The Zen is getting a simple Pioneer DEH-2190UB with Coustic 6*9 speakers that doesn't need much documentation here. ;-)
Old 30th November 2009, 19:03   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Hi ghpk*G*
The head unit cost Rs. 5.4k with bill and warranty and the amp cost 5.5k.
Frank, I think "JI" gets to formal, the "JI" will remain in my heart for you.

anyway poor me, the same HU, is quoted as Rs.6500/- to me, the dealer attitude is what made me keep myself away from a new HU.

might go on vacation someday and will fulfill this dream too.
Old 30th November 2009, 20:09   #206
Senior - BHPian

First, Congrats for the upgrade-mania

Two Queries i have on your setup, Frank;

1) Wont the Sound stage get distorted(i mean, sound quality getting mixed up) because of using different brands of Speakers for front stage and rear stage/fill; Especially the Amp part - how the JBL fares with the likes of DLS - Not that JBL is bad, but surely a couple of notches below the likes of DLS (in terms of clarity(?)/performance)

2)Will a stock battery handle 3 Amplifiers (you have a beast of a mono) without need for an Cap ? (I know it can handle, but in the long run - ?)
Old 30th November 2009, 21:13   #207
BHPian

Frank, we need updated pics of the rear speakers & amps
Old 1st December 2009, 00:41   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
First, Congrats for the upgrade-mania

Two Queries i have on your setup, Frank;

1) Wont the Sound stage get distorted(i mean, sound quality getting mixed up) because of using different brands of Speakers for front stage and rear stage/fill; Especially the Amp part - how the JBL fares with the likes of DLS - Not that JBL is bad, but surely a couple of notches below the likes of DLS (in terms of clarity(?)/performance)

2)Will a stock battery handle 3 Amplifiers (you have a beast of a mono) without need for an Cap ? (I know it can handle, but in the long run - ?)
+1
Even i want to know this. My car only has one amp (JBL 1004) and still i see that lights do filker a little when palying loud (but my car is 3 yrs old and your new so i guess it might take it rightnow).
Old 1st December 2009, 13:16   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Frank, I think "JI" gets to formal, the "JI" will remain in my heart for you.

anyway poor me, the same HU, is quoted as Rs.6500/- to me, the dealer attitude is what made me keep myself away from a new HU.

might go on vacation someday and will fulfill this dream too.
These audio dealers get really irritating sometimes. Their efforts to con all and sundry annoys me too!

Quote:
The speaker levels are adjusted in such a way that people in the front hear the fronts louder than the rears, and vice versa. There is no such distortion of soundstage.
The JBL amp is not being pushed to it's limits, and the gains are down and the bass boost etc is off. Since the amp is not being strained, there is no audible loss of clarity in the overall music. The signature sound of the Morel ovals is very sweet and the tweeter is not at all harsh. I quite like how they sound,
Quote:
i asked Ajay the same thing and he said it's not at all a problem. Maybe that is attributed to the fact that my normal listening levels are not at all high. It's ok to run 3 amps without a Capacitor, if the system is not pushed too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
Frank, we need updated pics of the rear speakers & amps
I was too tired to take photos yesterday. Some personal work was there too. Today, will try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
+1
Even i want to know this. My car only has one amp (JBL 1004) and still i see that lights do filker a little when palying loud (but my car is 3 yrs old and your new so i guess it might take it rightnow).
My Headlights dim with the system at annoyingly high volumes, and that is normal, according to me. I am not going to be pushing my system so hard, ever.
Old 1st December 2009, 23:08   #210
Senior - BHPian

Some photos of the new stuff added.

And then, a video!
Ps: Hear the DIN the sub is creating in the boot. LOL.

Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030695-mine.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030698-mine.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030699-mine.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030701-mine.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030702-mine.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030704-mine.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030705-mine.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030709-mine.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030711-mine.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030710-mine.jpg  

Last edited by frankmehta : 1st December 2009 at 23:10. Reason: Added photu